Worlds Burn Through (The Chronicles of Nowhere #1)

Worlds Burn Through (The Chronicles of Nowhere #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Chloe Burke has nightmares of a world burned to ash and the strange boy who saves them both.

Underneath the dreams lurks a deeply buried reality; Chloe and a handful of others are survivors of a decade old apocalypse that burned their home world to the ground.

Now their ancient enemies hunt them again. To keep their adopted world safe, Chloe must undergo a ritual of blood sa...more
Published January 20th 2012 by Curiosity Quills Press (first published January 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Worlds Burn Through, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worlds Burn Through

Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsA Million Suns by Beth RevisEverneath by Brodi AshtonInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Selection by Kiera Cass
Amazing YA Covers of 2012
133rd out of 736 books — 2,286 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareDream Caster by Najeev Raj NadarajahThe Host by Stephenie MeyerHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickAmong the Shrouded by Amalie Jahn
Anything but vampires, please?
216th out of 715 books — 489 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Bielman (Bad Bird Reads)
Originally on my blog: http://readingandwritingurbanfantasy....

The Good
The goose bumps that engulfed my arms refused to dissipate the first few pages of Worlds Burn Through. I was sucked in from the get-go and didn't put the book down until I turned the last page.

Chloe has lived a somewhat normal life, but after her father's death, things just wouldn't go back to normal. Chloe and her mother now have a strained relationship, which is about to get even more tense as Chloe is pulled into a world...more
Kait Nolan
I have a love/hate relationship with trilogies. I love the continuation of story. I really really REALLY hate having to wait to find out what happens. I really enjoyed this novella--it's so full of rich characters and worldbuilding that I was actually quite surprised to find that it WAS a novella. LOTS of story packed in a tiny space, lacking for nothing except a closer release date of the next installment. Worlds Burn Through is a must read for contemporary fantasy, urban fantasy, dark fantasy,...more
Soo
Courtesy of NetGalley

Minor Rant:

It's a teaser! Evil, evil teaser! Where's the next one?

End Rant.

Chloe Burke has dreamed a nightmare of fire and intense fire-hazel eyes as long as she can remember. But the nightmare is old news and her world is colored by her father's death. It's already been two months, but it hasn't been long enough to ease the pain. She tries to avoid fighting with her Mom, fills her day with activities to occupy her mind, and wants to go home & end the date from hell. In...more
Patricia BookExhibitionism
Read this one on BE.

Memo to My Future Self:

Dear Patri­cia,

you requested this on Net­Gal­ley because for some rea­sons (the cir­cle. It’s just the tree in a cir­cle with some­thing resem­bling a sky­line below) the cover reminded you of Diver­gent, and the title sounded cool, and in the end, you just thought “Hey, why not?”

A few days later you actu­ally also started read­ing it, which is some­thing you rarely do. Yes, you request books but it takes too long for the pub­lish­ers to approve you an...more
Christina Boulard
Feb 14, 2012 Christina Boulard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older teens 16+
Worlds Burn Through is a really great little novel. I say 'little' because it's short. VERY short. TOO short!
Vicki Keire had a wonderful way with words. Her descriptions are so vivid and they make this book really come to life.
The characters are written beautifully, and I can guarantee that most teen girls (ahem, and some 'older' girls!) who read this book will fall in love with Eliot pretty much as soon as he's introduced.

The only issue I have is, as I mentioned above, it's much too short. Yes...more
Daniel Tribble
I got this book as an eARC and really enjoyed it. There was a lot of action, interesting twists, and Ms. Keire's trademark complex cast of characters. I really liked the new world she created. This novella introduced a universe that is every bit as detailed as her Whitfield novels, but somehow seems bigger- the stakes are higher, and these may be her most interesting villains yet. I can't wait to see what happens.
Alison
I loved it! The story kept me intrigued the whole time. I did not want to put it down. I am very excited to continue reading this series when it becomes available, I'm very interested to see what happened with these characters and also what will happen. This is a new concept to me which I really enjoy! I highly recommend this book!
AH
Mar 14, 2012 AH marked it as to-read
Kindle free download 3/14/12
Megan
I received this as an ebook from NetGalley.

First of all, I wasn't expecting it to be so short. There was literally a To Be Continued at the end of the "novella," which is so not done in literature today. If you're going to TBC the ending to such a short book, then just write the whole book. I'm curious to find out how it ends, but I have a feeling that the heroine will save the day along with her guardian and all will be peachy keen. Maybe a few people will die. I'm not curious enough to pay any...more
Rhee
Worlds Burn Through was a wonderful little novella about a girl named Chloe and how her life is changing after the death of her father, in mysterious ways of course.

I have to admit that I enjoyed reading Worlds Burn Through more than I thought I would. When I received the ARC from NetGalley, I thought that the premise sounded interesting but would just be one of those books that you enjoy but don't consider continuing with the series. Reading it proved to me that that wasn't the case at all.

Even...more
Bethany
Craving a quick taste of paranormal YA that’s not a fill-in-the-blanks story? Read on…

I thoroughly enjoyed Worlds Burn Through – Keire’s writing is easy to read, and the pages pass quickly. There is a lovely balance between dialogue and description, and the worldbuilding was handled with grace – just enough details at just the right times, without wandering into infodump wastelands. Those growing wearing of formulaic YA may be interested in learning that this isn’t a romance – no instalove or in...more
Michelle
Though this book was a novella, it was action packed. Filled with a good plot and great characters, I could not put it down. I started to read the second part as soon as I was done the first because I just couldn't let the story go. We have a strong alpha male MC named Eliot *swoon* and Chloe who is a stubborn, determined girl, who I have a feeling will turn out to be a powerhouse later on.

Chloe is dealing with the loss of her Father and strange dreams of a boy and a world of fire. Little does s...more
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
First off lets get the technicalities out of the way. I was given this book to review through Netgalley. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for them.

That being said here is my review:

Chloe has lived a fairly normal life. Like any other normal teenage girl who is straddling the line between adolescence and adulthood Chloe is rebelling against her mother after her fathers death a few months prior. That all changes on the night of her Birthday. Suddenly thrust into the wor...more
Stacey Conrad
Tags-series, paranormal romance, NetGally ARC, fire, novella

Chloe thinks she is an ordinary girl. She’s not-she’s the last of her kind; the only one who can stop the abandoned from burning this world like they did other worlds before. Eliot is her guardian; he’s been removed from her memory along with the knowledge of who she is and what she needs to do.

Pros- This short novella caught my attention with great imagery and a slightly different twist on the “poor me, I’m an ordinary girl” tale. The...more
Tracy Cembor
Awakening from a nightmare of a world on fire, Chloe Burke discovers she is not an ordinary teenager nor is the nightmare only in her imagination. Her life quickly changes, and Chloe finds herself on the run with Eliot Gray, a boy she does not know but who seems to know a lot about her. The action is non-stop, and the stakes are high for Chloe, her family, and the world they live in. If she cannot find a way to thwart an ancient enemy, everything Chloe loves will burn.

Vicki Keiri's detailed char...more
Karissa
I got a copy of this book to review through NetGalley(dot)com. It is a well written story but very short. The books ends literally with a "to be continued". Still it was an egaging enough read with an interesting, if not completely unique, premise.

Chloe has a reoccuring nightmare about fire all around her and the boy who saves her. A bad night of partying and a fight with her mother reveal the truth to Chloe, she is the only hope for a race whose only planet died in a fiery apocalypse. Now the o...more
Candace (Lovey Dovey Books)
Before I started reading, I hadn’t realized that Worlds Burn Through would be on the shorter side. I burned through and enjoyed every bit of the story. It almost felt as though I were reading a television episode: there’s an introduction of all sides of the story, the situation is laid out by a telling of dramatic events, and by the end there’s so much more in store.

The progression of the story is fast paced and kept me on edge. At any moment, trouble could be right around the corner and I’d nev...more
Diayll
Originally Reviewed at:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: NetGalley
Reviewer: Heather

Worlds Burn Through is a really good intro for what I hope will be an exciting series: The Chronicles of Nowhere. The story gives you just enough to suck you into an enticing world, where the total destruction of our human world is nigh. A world where one girl who has lost her memory is all that stands between it.

We are quickly introduced to our main heroine, Chloe, though she has n...more
Ian Caithness
Chloe Burke dreams of creatures who walk through fire and a strange boy who saves them both.
Her parents convinced her long ago that the dreams are the result of a childhood fever, but she can’t shake the feeling that some of it is real, most especially the boy.

Beneath the dreams lies a deeply buried reality: Chloe and her family are refugees from Annwyn, once a formidable techno-agrarian civilization now burned to ash. Years before, a handful of her world’s survivors escaped to present-day Earth...more
Ning
Read my original review here:

When I saw the cover for this one, I knew I had to read it. The cover is absolutely gorgeous and the blurb sounds just like my kind of thing. However, this book, while OK, did not live up to my expectations.

Let’s start with what I liked about it. It’s pretty fast-paced and there’s a lot of mystery going on with the background story. I thought the idea of the Abandoned and the fire was pretty neat (I’m into anything that related...more
manda-rae
Let me start off by saying that this book is a very short story. And it has the potential to draw you in immediately. There's paranormal, action, and definitely a lot of mystery. But what did it lack? Well, honestly nothing was explained. You only saw glimmers of possibilities. But there was never a whole picture to look at.

Chloe is your average teenager who just lost her dad and is rebelling against her mom. Only we find out she's not really average. According to my slim knowledge, she's possib...more
Jessie Verino
I'm really not sure how to rate this novella. The writing was crisp and full of action. Chloe is a great character and very believable. Her mother, not so much. Daniel as her counterpart also appears well developed. The story premise of guardians, almost as a race themselves, is interesting, but we don't find out much about them, or why there are families of guardians and families being guarded. Yes, the Abandoned have burnt their home world and are working their way to Earth, but it felt as if...more
Kate Copeseeley
Keire, we need to have words! How DARE YOU write a story that is so freaking fantastic I couldn't put it down. And HOW DARE YOU make it short enough that I can swallow it up in one reader gulp. And HOW DARE YOU not make a book this good 500 pages long.

Because all I can do right now is whine... "I want MOOORRREEE!" like my three year old when I give him ice cream. And luckily I have the second book to satiate my great hunger, but I don't know what I'm going to do when that one is finished and I h...more
Traci
This really isn't a bad book, but it's more of a short story than anything. The story is set up to be a bit confusing. I'm sure this is the author's choice but for one, I'm finding it really hard to really, really like the story. We're left in the dark about so much, but then again, so is the main character Chloe. She too is in the dark for most of the story.

The reader is learning right along with Chloe about the things in her life that she doesn't quite understand. I would like to know more ab...more
Tammy
5 Stars! A very short, action-packed start to a new series by Vicki Keire. This is my first read by this author, and I am eager to dive into the next installment!

This is one of those reviews where I hesitate to say too much, as it was really short. Therefore, easy to give away spoilers. Yet, there was so much folded into the short format. The characters that were introduced were solid. Chloe was a typical teenager thrown into a rough situation. Eliot, her guardian, was just a fantastic character...more
Julie Baker
Total surprise with this one. It sounded good through the synopsis but I wasn't really expecting it to be that good. I was WRONG! It was great. I'm getting the second book now so that I can keep reading about these wonderful characters. I'm also planning on trying out more of the authors stuff. Her writing style is totally my speed and I love the development she gives the characters without seeming to spend a lot of time on them. Totally awesome book!
Catherine Gordon
Chloe is recovering from the death of her father but his death was murder. Chloe is not the ordinary girl she thinks she is and although they tried to wipe her memory parts of it still remain especially through her dreams. What started with her father is only beginning now they are coming for her and her mother. So enter the guardians although Chloe also has to contend with some human foes first. Short read but interesting start to the series.
Specialk
This book confused me. I like the premise, as it seemed to be an interesting hybird of science fiction and fantasy. However, the book was brief, and cut off at an extremely strange place. It wasn't just a cliff-hanger, it was a world-hanger. You had barely learned the characters names and the book was finished.

I'll give book 2 a chance. But if it doesn't move the story forward, I fear I'll lose interest quickly, no matter how fast a read it is.
Court
Wow! I fell in love with the group of characters from the get go. I really enjoyed the action and how everything really moved. I read from start to finish on my iPhone in the woods while camping. Yes, it's that good. I was committed to a great story..what can I say! Afterwards, I sat for awhile and really thought about Eliot and Cass. I seriously LOVED every minute and cannot wait to read more. Bravo!
Heidi Mcadoo
Another short YA down, sequel to go. I'm loving this genre. But i'm starting to think that all young adults think the world is going to burn to the ground and only a super being will able to save us. Or I should say the authors of these YA books. Nonetheless i'm having fun and this book was no different. Other than it's less than 100 pages. Still a page turner and loving the characters so far.
  • Walker
  • Listen to the Shadows
  • Vrin: Ten Mortal Gods
  • Rook
  • The Seventh Seal
  • The Zona
  • Demon's Night (Jason Dark, #1)
  • Death Whispers (The Death Series, #1)
  • Rex Rising (Elei's Chronicles, #1)
  • Entanglements
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Invisible Justice (Justice, #1)
  • Shadow of a Dead Star  (The Wonderland Cycle #1)
  • HeartsBlood (Praxis, #1)
  • Winter's Awakening: The Metahumans Emerge (Winter's Saga, #1)
  • Burden of Blood (Blood Burden, #1)
  • Katie's Hellion (Rhyn Trilogy, #1)
  • The Myths, Legends, and Lore of Ireland

Vicki Keire grew up in a 19th Century haunted house in the Deep South full of books, abandoned coal chutes, and plenty of places to get into trouble with her siblings. She holds degrees in English Literature with specialties in the 18th Century, Romanticism, and Postcolonial Theory. She spent the last decade teaching writing and literature at a large, football obsessed university while slipping pa

More about Vicki Keire...
Gifts of the Blood (Angel's Edge, #1) Darkness in the Blood (Angel's Edge, #2) Shadowed Ground (The Chronicles of Nowhere #2) Blood Redemption (Angel's Edge, #3) Worlds Burn Through (Chronicles of Nowhere, Vol. 1)