Start by marking “The Swarm” as Want to Read:
The Swarm

Read Book

The Swarm

The Indie eBook that has sold 11,000 copies sold within 6 weeks of publication!

At the peak of summer season, the people of Bay Isle, New Jersey suddenly and inexplicably become part of a “swarm” and head mindlessly towards the beach. There have become puppets to an unseen phenomenon with one purpose: to reproduce. On the beach, the 12,000 people of Bay Isle take part in a
Published January 10th 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Swarm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Swarm

Susan Haught
Aug 04, 2013 Susan Haught rated it did not like it
Do not waste your time or money. So many errors and the author says he wrote it in eight days. It shows. Jack Nicklaus in The Shining? Last time I checked, he played golf. The premise is good and the story could have been good had the author chosen to hire an editor and taken the time to make some much needed edits.
TJ
Apr 15, 2012 TJ rated it it was ok
Whenever an author starts his or her book with disclaimers, the reader should wonder a little about what he or she has gotten into. Author Rob Heinze begins "The Swarm" with an apology about the typos and grammatical errors found in copious amounts throughout the novel. OK, I can deal with that and those errors don't really detract that much from the story (once you get used to them, anyway). What I had trouble with though, was the pacing of the plot. The book starts off strong with a creative s ...more
Nick Bicknell
Feb 22, 2012 Nick Bicknell rated it liked it
I really liked this book, actually, and it's one of my first indie books I've read on my Nook. Or in print. Anywhere, really. While there were a lot of problems, I enjoyed it. The plot was good, the characters were interesting, and the book was very... Well, apparently people had trouble understanding the ending. I didn't, I thought it was pretty simple and the entire story was moving towards it, but what do I know?

I understand that this isn't a published story, but Jesus, it needed editing. The
Kate Creed
Mar 30, 2013 Kate Creed rated it really liked it
This amazing little book had me gripped from the start.It has all the makings of being considered up there with the best.
I must firstly address the errors which have been acknowledged by the author in the preface but not corrected, which I find rather strange. I would have thought he would want to put that right as they do distract you from the flow and the enjoyment of the novel, but hey, I haven't written a novel so who am I to criticize! at least this guy has done it!I would advise anyone who
Sharon Davies
Aug 30, 2012 Sharon Davies rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sharon by: no-one
I gave this 4 stars because the plot was really good. It did hook me from the first few pages, which is always a good sign, and I kept reading because I wanted to know what the 'swarm' was all about, but as I got nearer the end, it dawned on me, that there wasn't really going to be a 'spit on the wall' explanation. HOWEVER, I didn't really feel cheated, for me it had environmental conitations, the abuse of humans to their environment and the environment turning on them, although Rob's explanatio ...more
Garrick
Feb 20, 2012 Garrick rated it did not like it
Good initial premise, but characters are horribly underdeveloped. I didn't care about any of them. The plotlines were weak and wandered everywhere, and there were two instances where people simply wouldn't act or react the way they did.

This method of self-publishing is a perfect example of why editors and proofreaders should be involved. Simple spelling and grammar mistakes abound (the author even apologizes for them in his forward). Sentence structure is stilted at times and annoyingly formal o
Feb 11, 2012 Sarah rated it did not like it
This book is almost offensively bad. The poor pacing and character development aside, the language and imagery are entirely juvenile at times... and all with no interesting ending to the story. I DLed this for a mere $.99 and read it within a few hours, and I still feel cheated out of my time and money.

In the author's defense, the plot summary I read did indicate the book *could* go in that direction, although I was hopeful it would be a better payoff than it was. This book almost seems more lik
Mark
Mar 18, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
Not bad. It's a compelling and unique story and a quick, easy read. I was aware that there would be typos, and they didn't bother me.

Mr. Heinze is an "indie", self-published writer with lots of potential. This is the first of his books I've read, and I would certainly read more of his work. My main complaint about the storm is that Mr. Heinze is not big on characterization or the idea of "Show, don't tell". He does a lot of telling.

I did enjoy the creepy story, though, and I do recommend the b
Rhiannon
Aug 26, 2012 Rhiannon rated it did not like it
This was a rather disappointing read. The idea behind the novel is interesting but poorly developed which is a shame. There is no real character development which means readers don't care about what happens to them and the author doesn't have the best description capability. It wasn't until about 60% of the way through that the novel starts picking up but at the end I was surprised that that was it and that I had read the whole thing for that to be it. I'm glad I downloaded it for free because I ...more
Melissa
Oct 07, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
I wanted to read this book because it seemed like it was unlike anything I've ever read, the story line was so weird and different. It wasn't that great though, and not because of the bad grammar and typos(I read the unedited e-book version) I think that the idea of the story was a really great one, but the author definitely could have gotten more creative with it. It was really blah for as interesting as it sounded. And the ending was horrible. It kinda seemed like the author just rushed to get ...more
Ingrid
Sep 06, 2012 Ingrid rated it liked it
I found this a fast and enjoyable read which could be oh so much more. Great storyline which needs padding out and developing more. I felt the first 2/3rds of the book were a good start but then was surprised to look at my kindle and see I was 70% through it, I felt the fun had just started. I think I paid all of 49p for it so I can hardly complain.

I did enjoy it and really was left frustrated that the author hadn't written a "bigger" story with more depth to the characters because I enjoyed it
Shelley
Apr 03, 2012 Shelley rated it it was ok
I am currently in a weird phase with reading. I am into horror, short stories and wierdness in general. This book seemed to fit that bill perfectly so I started it today.

Finished it last night. It was such a strange book. It did keep me wondering what would happen next. I can't say that I was fully satisfied with the ending but that was to be expected. I could not figure out where it was going....demon, alien, toxic waste, etc. but I guess I figured out what it was at the end of the book. It wa
Soo
Aug 29, 2012 Soo rated it really liked it
I liked the author's note at the beginning of the second edition. It was a breath of refreshing honesty in a market that contains a plethora of really bad writing. I love a good story and mentally correct, as I read, in pursuing it's ending.
This is a good, original story and the writing style was easy to read. Fifty-five years of reading is, I believe, a good enough qualification for me to say so.
Griffonlady
Sep 03, 2012 Griffonlady rated it really liked it
This was a very fast paced book with an interesting storyline. It's maybe not for everyone as it dealt with an entire island population walking to the beach and copulating.

Then the government wanted to abort all the pregnancies on the island because of what had happened, this caused quite a few problems as you can imagine.

I wouldn't say it was the best book I'd ever read but it certainly kept me reading to see what happened.
Jolie
Aug 06, 2012 Jolie rated it really liked it
Reading this book reminded me of the movie, Children of The Corn...except the women weren't pregnant with actual children. It starts with people dropping what they are doing, heading to the beach and having a mass orgy. Next thing you know, all of the women involved are pregnant and then the story really takes off. I will read it again.
Susan
Aug 14, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Self published, and available only on E books,(I read it on my nook) this Steven King type novel was pretty good. Weird happenings on Bay Island. Almost the whole population acting strangely. The end was a bit confusing, but I was able to locate the writers blog where he trys to explains it. Maybe another King or Koontz in the making,
Michele
Feb 29, 2012 Michele rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. I'm a fan of self-publishing and I try to dip my reading toes into a lot of uncharted genres. Unfortunately, I just couldn't care enough about the characters in this book. I see promise in the writing but the characters were so scattered, I didn't have enough time to care about them.
Chris Gillies
Nov 08, 2012 Chris Gillies rated it liked it
Not sure if I liked or loathed this book. Interesting story concept, not enough depth or development in the back story, characters that were developed for a whole chapter were repeatedly killed off at the end of that chapter. Plus points include no padding to get to the end of the 9 month timeline, good descriptive skills.

Still not sure if I liked it or not :P
Barbara
Mar 11, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Good short read. Interesting, held my interest. Of the genre it's better than many of the garden variety better edited books out there. I don't know why so many reviewers find it offensive. I read it on my PC in two days and look forward to more by Rob Heinze.
Tabitha
Feb 20, 2012 Tabitha rated it it was ok
Overall, I liked the story, I really did. However, I did find my eyes shifting around the room at many parts during this book. Some parts were just slow and a bit boring. I think the idea for the story is unique. It would make a really good movie.
Kimber
Nov 15, 2012 Kimber rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
Extremely interesting premise and a good read. I was a little disappointed by the wrap up. I was expecting somthing very different and almost figured another book would follow and then bam! it was over and i said, "oh."
Will be interested in reading the other ebooks by this author.
Tammy
Apr 07, 2012 Tammy rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in about 3 days. Quick read as it kept me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what happens next. The reader suspects many things happening, but it isn't until the end that we find out exactly what it was. Love books like this!
Angel Kirby
Sep 30, 2012 Angel Kirby rated it did not like it
I believe the book could have been a pretty good story however, I could not even finish the book because I became so board. I found myself thinking "what is this story about?" The story was very unorganized and sporadic in some places. I just could not connect with any part of the book....
Lee Petersen
Sep 12, 2012 Lee Petersen rated it liked it
An original story which kept you guessing until the last page. If you can over look the typo's and enjoy a good sci fi adventure, there's no reason why you wouldn't enjoy this story. Some very graphic scenes which were awesome and lots of characters to get involved with.
Donna
Feb 27, 2012 Donna rated it liked it
I did like this book. Reminiscent of Stephen King's style. A nice forward from the author in the beginning that I like. The story definitely held my attention though it was a bit bizarre at times.

Mark Heath
Sep 11, 2013 Mark Heath rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
A GOOD READ IF NOT A BIT WEIRD. REALLY ENJOYED IT.
Tamara Gearhart
Sep 02, 2015 Tamara Gearhart rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This book was actually a fairly decent read, in spite of the atrocious lack of editing
Terri Gonzalez
Apr 05, 2012 Terri Gonzalez rated it liked it
This was a very interesting book. I got very caught up in the mystery of what was causing the swarm. There were scenes that disturbed me but I just kept on reading.
Alan
Oct 22, 2012 Alan rated it really liked it
very good concept, well written but really should have been a lot longer
Roger Bailey
Feb 13, 2012 Roger Bailey rated it it was ok
Good idea, but too many under-developed characters leave you not caring.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tangled Web
  • 11:59
  • The Donzerly Light
  • The Red Church (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #1)
  • Name and Number
  • The Well
  • From Man to Man (Wroge Elements, #0.5)
  • Sexy Babe
  • Trust
  • Inheritance
  • Another F-Word
  • Catherine the Inquisitor (The Six Lives of Henry the VIII #1)
  • Murder in Room 305
  • Meet Me at Taylor Park
  • Plague
  • Doggone Dead (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #3)
  • Lost London: An A-Z of Forgotten Landmarks and Lost Traditions
  • The 37th Mandala
Born in the bleak of October, it only makes sense I like things that move in the shadows. I am the self-published author of 15 novels, including the bestselling THE SWARM, which was released in February, 2012 and sold 11,000 eBooks in 6 weeks. I write spooky, scary books and sometimes grotesque and outright weird.
More about Rob Heinze...