Start by marking “Downburst (The Windstorm Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Downburst (The Windstorm Series, #1)

Downburst (The Windstorm Series, #1)

When Kit skipped town, she wasn't planning to get pressed into a secret training camp or pulled into an ancient war. Now she's just fighting to get home alive. Fans of The Hunger Games will devour this fast-paced fantasy that critics are calling "a thrilling head-rush of an adventure" (Kirkus Reviews) and a "strong showing...with visceral combat scenes and creative explora ...more
Paperback, First edition , 276 pages
Published January 10th 2012 by Quil Books, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Downburst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downburst

Alisha
Jan 18, 2012 Alisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, 2013, kindle, natalie
Wow.

This author left the gate RUNNING. What an impressive showing for a first book! I can honestly recommend this to anyone and EVERYONE.

Downburst is classed as a YA book. Strong female character.

It was released as a kindle book. I like that it went a different route than traditional publishing and I hope that it is very successful. Definitely need a lot of word of mouth about this book because it is worth recommending and is such phenomenal writing. It is the first book I used the kindle app f
Petey
Jan 22, 2013 Petey rated it really liked it
Spectacular. Of course, there's flying. Anything that has flying is marvelous. More importantly, it's not fully clear where she's going by the end of this first novel (it's supposed to be a trilogy, I think).

(view spoiler)

I'm excited to r
Marcia Van Camp
Jan 13, 2012 Marcia Van Camp rated it it was amazing
My review:

Even though Linda told me to expect something big, I was still not prepared for this book. I was sucked in on page 1 and I finished reading it in record time, diving in, and I just barely came up breathing. Everything was so vivid, and I love authors who can paint a picture that leaps off the pages. Adrenaline rush my goodness! I am banging my head against the wall in anticipation for the next book.

Linda's review:
Smoking hot, January 13, 2012
By Linda Loodle - See all my reviewsThis r
Donna Huber
Jun 17, 2012 Donna Huber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-ya, for-review
This book was intense and so good. I was totally blown away by it. I stayed up late because I couldn't put it down. Kit has a bit of a Katniss Everdeen vibe to her. Fans of Hunger Games will want to check this book out. Read the full review at Girl Who Reads. There's also a chance to win an ebook copy.
Trent Mikesell
Mar 05, 2016 Trent Mikesell rated it liked it
This book reminded me of a lot of different books. It was a little like Percy Jackson but with Native American influences and really awesome technology in the camps. I thought it was a well written and enjoyable story. There was too much of a cliffhanger at the end though.
Marlene
Jan 14, 2012 Marlene rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and raced through it, carried along with one unique plot twist after another. I absolutely cannot wait for the next book in the series. I'm hooked, and so excited to have found such a great new voice in young adult fiction!
Merryn Walker
Jul 16, 2012 Merryn Walker rated it really liked it
not as good as Hunger Games but a good beach read
Mandy
Apr 17, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
Katie Robison’s Downburst was just what I needed. I was in a bit of a reading slump, reading a few books at the same time but nothing really grabbing my attention. I wanted to read a book which whispered to me, ‘Go on, read some more, you know you want to, don’t put me to bed yet.’ So the search was on, which book should I pick up next? I actually thought my odds of choosing the ‘right’ book quite slim so I didn’t have high expectations. I read a few reviews for a few books waiting on my shelves ...more
Cindy Jewkes
Mar 01, 2016 Cindy Jewkes rated it it was amazing
Kit is a girl who has run away from home. She is making a meager living by delivering illicit goods (drugs, fake ids, etc) to their buyers. One day, when the cops discover their location, she goes on the run, spending her first night in an empty train car. The next morning, she witnesses the murder of a girl who looks so similar to Kit she could be her twin. As she runs away, she is kidnapped by a man who mistakes her for the girl who was murdered (named Aura) and is taken to a bizarre week-long ...more
Jenelle
Jenny
Feb 20, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading Downburst, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I knew nothing of the plot or the world created by Robison, and I'm so glad I didn't. I was completely sucked in from the beginning as the plot takes off running - literally! There is never a dull moment. Each chapter brings more excitement as you are dragged into a world so interesting you can't help but wish it were real.

The writing and literary tactics are excellent. I often found myself trying to figure ou
Samantha (bookwormeverlasting)
This review first appeared at http://www.bookwormeverlasting.com/re...

Downburst took no time at all to get into the action. Sometimes, a book can take its sweet time getting me hooked enough to enjoy it, but I was already interested with Kit’s story and what would happen to her by the end of the first chapter.

I love a strong female lead that can take care of herself and Kit was an amazing female lead. Even though there were love interests, I didn’t feel like they hindered her in any way. She re
Amanda (Amanda's Writings)
Mar 29, 2012 Amanda (Amanda's Writings) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-these
Originally posted on Amanda's Writings

This book caught my interest from page one and didn't let go. You know, I'm a sucker for those books with the summer camps that aren't what they seem. Downburst had one of those! And it was fantastic! Of course, that wasn't the only fantastic thing, and I would define the book just by the summer camp. ;)

This was one that kept me on the edge of my seat. Downburst is very original and interesting and new. I was really excited to learn more about what was going
Tori Christensen
Jun 06, 2013 Tori Christensen rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for my Labor Day camp trip because I love to read on vacations. Well, this book was so intense and action packed, it was hard to stop reading and do some camping. After wanting to read this book for years, the book was very different than the description had led me to think (which is usually the case--I hate when book descriptions give away important plot points), but in such a good way. if you have a hard time putting down books like I do, pick this book up when you have time ...more
Jodi
Jan 16, 2012 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: main
Okay, this book was seriously cool. It was written by my cousin's wife, and even though I have the utmost confidence in her writing ability, I admit that I half expected to end up promoting the book out of loyalty more than anything else--and boy, was I wrong! I can't tell you what happens, because the surprise is half the fun, but there came a point in the book where I literally didn't want to put it down. It surprised me at every turn. When I hit the last page, I literally went straight to Ama ...more
Karen
May 16, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
The beginning seemed a bit choppy and slow -- I got tired of being stuck in the narrator's head, with her not knowing anything that is going on. But, I liked the book better as it went along and really liked the last third of it. So if I think of it as the set-up for a series, rather than a stand alone book, then my interest goes way up.

The book reminded me of Hunger Games and Ender's Game, though with an original context. That beautifully constructed context was my favorite part of the book. A
Mar 23, 2016 Laura rated it it was ok
I read this book in two sittings, because it grabs your attention right off, and the last half is an endless stream of events. The middle slammed on the brakes and belabored setting the stage and building the world. I liked sharing our protagonist's confusion, but her decision making was maddening; no one would weigh her shockingly dangerous situations as level with her normal teenage drama. Is pride really enough to keep her away from home and safety?
The excitement level is high, the world is
M. Z.
Jun 17, 2016 M. Z. rated it did not like it
I feel like a grinch, seeing all the 4 and 5 star reviews, but this book did nothing for me.

Kit is an okay protagonist, but the amount of mary-sueness and coincidences that happen in the first half of the book is staggering. (I started skimming after that.)
The one that really broke my back though, is that she isn't required to do the one thing that would out her as a fake for several days of competition (while everyone around her is) because... reasons.
And then after the half-way mark (view spo
Kimberly
Aug 22, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This is a great book! This is the first novel that Katie has written and you wouldn't know it from the story. She tells a great story as you are constantly wondering what will happen next and the twists and turns continually surprise you. I seen that some people had trouble getting into, which is understandable because we are left in the dark along with Kit (the main character). I think this is one of the things that makes the book great. Many books have the omnscient point of view with a third- ...more
Katie Bullock
May 23, 2014 Katie Bullock rated it it was ok
I've decided that all the other reviews of this book must be by the author's family. I wanted to like it -- I wanted to give it 3 stars when I was about half-way through, and then she just got even worse...I mean, overwhelmingly...bad. Really, really bad. Even at the beginning, I was bugged by the mind-numbingly stupid description of every breath the narrator takes, but I kept hope. It read like Twilight, in the worst sense of that description: Her ideas have such potential, but they were left i ...more
Kevin Robison
Feb 02, 2015 Kevin Robison rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a trilogy that is truly a fun read.

I get the same "vibe" reading this book as I did when I began the Hunger Games series.

Don't miss this fantastic book (I have read it and the second - Coiled Snake, and I am looking forward to the release of Katie Robison's third and final book in this series!

Enjoy
Rachel
Jun 18, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
What a fun, fast-moving, interesting Y.A. novel. I loved it! I think Robison did a wonderful job of combining the fantastical element with Native American legend. I can't wait for the sequel, which should come out later this year.
Leah
May 31, 2013 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Surprisingly good book. Very gripping, fast read. And, yes, I am dying to know what happens next. My only complaint is that it is written in the present tense, which can be distracting. But it is well-written, plot-driven, and very readable.
Celeste
Feb 20, 2015 Celeste rated it it was amazing
Amanda
Mar 28, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book by one of my talented fellow Ph.D. students. Katie marries Native American myth and meteorology in captivating story that also includes flying. . .can't get much better than that!
Suzanne Tanner
Jul 01, 2012 Suzanne Tanner rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
My favorite of the series. It starts off slow, but then introduces such a fun, mythical, magical new world that was very easy to get caught up in. It's quite the page turner, I sped through it in a matter of hours. Just really fun, really well done YA action and adventure. Highly recommend.
Anne
Sep 09, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this in two days because I continually wanted to know what happened next. The ending still left me wanting to find out what happens in the next book, so I might have to hurry and get my hands on that.
Rachel Rueckert
Jan 03, 2016 Rachel Rueckert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
A really fun, quick series of a young girl who finds herself in the craziest of circumstances. The cliff hangers make you keep reading!
Allison
Mar 13, 2012 Allison rated it liked it
Really good story. Writing was a bit weak, but is author's first book. I would be interested in reading the next one, when it is finished!
Kelly
Mar 02, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books
This book was so good! I could not put it down, and now I have to wait for the sequel later this year!!! Total cliff hanger! Very fast paced reading.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Stolen Magic (Daughter of Prophecy, #2)
  • Frostbite (Destroyers, #4)
  • Voice
  • The Ivory Tower
  • Imperfect
  • Silencing Breath (Stealing Breath #2)
  • Huber Hill and the Dead Man's Treasure (Huber Hill, #1)
  • The Six (The Gateway Chronicles #1)
  • Broken
  • The Devil's Kitchen (Crown Phoenix, #2)
  • Jumble Tales
  • Book of Lost Threads
  • Treasure (Seed Savers, #1)
  • Indefensible (Kate Lange #2)
  • Shadow Mage (Blacklight Chronicles, #3)
  • Switched at Birthday
  • The Crickhowell School for the Muses
  • Tin Lily
Katie Robison has a Ph.D. in medieval literature from the University of Minnesota and is a registered member of the Ngai Tahu Maori tribe in New Zealand. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband, daughter, and Siberian Husky.
More about Katie Robison...