Start by marking “A Stiff Kiss” as Want to Read:
A Stiff Kiss

A Stiff Kiss

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Who knew kissing a corpse would change everything? Death always hits Xylia Morana too close to home, but she likes it that way. She hangs out with the terminally ill, attends random funerals, and every so often, when the weather is right, she sleeps in open graves. But after Landon Phoenix, the high school hottie, dies in Xylia's hands, she sneaks into the morgue to say go ...more
Published February 12th 2012 by Crescent Moon Press (first published February 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Stiff Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stiff Kiss

Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiEverneath by Brodi AshtonIncarnate by Jodi Meadows
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
150th out of 973 books — 5,829 voters
Rift Healer by Diane M. HaynesLove Chosen by Marne Ann KirkAwaited by Lynn RushMedusa, A Love Story by Sasha SummersTaste by Kate Evangelista
Good Books To Read In 2012
11th out of 330 books — 159 voters

More lists with this book...

Tara Fuller
A modern day sleeping beauty tale with a morbid twist. This is a book you need to read!

Let me start by saying that A STIFF KISS is the most unique and refreshing thing I’ve read this year. At times the emotion was so deep and the relationships were so real it almost read contemporary, but then you have this paranormal twist as the backdrop for the story that’s completely original. And I loved every single page of it!
The story starts with Xylia, a girl so completely broken by her mother's death
Lylaa
“You know, you’re kinda cute,” Xylia says, nudging my foot with hers.
“Oh? Am I cute because I was freaked out by the waitress? Or am I cute because I can’t order toast?”
“Both.” She nods with a hint of finality.
A grin creeps on my face, spreading from ear to ear. Xylia thinks I’m cute

Book given to me by Author :)

First I was like:
Morgue. Cemetery. Funeral.
Aw yeah, heaps borrrrring.
Please, I'm dying slowly.
Soccer? Soccer.
Laaaandoooon ;)
Oh no, he died.
Xylia you bum, get up.

Then I was like:
Um fre
Pamela
Rating 4.5

Xylia Morana has had a crush on Landon Phoenix for awhile now, but he doesn't really even know who she is. During a championship soccer game with which Landon was playing in, in the hopes of attracting the attention of scouts, Landon collapses. Dr. Morana, Xylia's father, is called to the field, and he asks Xylia to help him administer CPR. Despite all their efforts, Landon is pronounced dead on the way to the hospital. Having wished that she'd spoken to Landon when he was alive, Xylia
Proserpine

An incredible and refreshing story! I couldn't take my eyes of this book and I was pleasantly surprised by his subject: death. The subject can seem unusual, but the author has managed to write down a story about love that comes from the world largest and inevitable fatality.

First, who ever thought about kissing a dead person? Even I, who work in a funeral home, has never thought of that! Why this question? Because, A Stiff Kiss is, of course, based on the last kiss a girl could give to a death g
Ann
Upon reading the book description for A Stiff Kiss, I was intrigued by such a unique and definitely eerie premise. I can’t really say that I’ve even read anything remotely close to A Stiff Kiss. It was difficult for me to predict how this would play out which made for a really addictive read because I had to find out what happened next!

The cover is amazing in giving us a visual taste of what Xylia looks like, and some of the night time death related activities that she loves to partake in. I lov
Daphne
A Stiff Kiss - Loved it! Everyone should be reading it! Once I read that Xylia was kissing a dead boy and he came back to life I was in like flynn...but this sweet and sad girl made this book even more intriguing.

I was drawn into the story visualizing the scenes which Avery described perfectly and the emotion Xylia was feeling. Xylia is relatable she can't get over her mothers death; closure is a battle and so she lives among the dead. Attending strangers funerals and visiting morgue.

After some
Hildie McQueen
Mar 04, 2012 Hildie McQueen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Xylia and Landon's first kiss was quite different, I mean he is dead. The storyline reeled me in to a world of a teen girl that can't get over her mother's death and deals with it by living closer to the dead than to the living. I enjoyed the story of her coming to terms with who she is and drawing Landon away to a place where they eventually learn to lean on each other to survive. Ms Olive weaves a good, believable and gripping teen story that you will not soon forget.
Hot Stuff Book Reviews

This novel is a stand alone book I received from the author. So, thank you Avery Olive.

When I read the blurb, I knew this book was for me. Don't ask me why, but I love YA books with a plot more or less centered on death. Humor or drama doesn't matter, but I like to read about young characters dealing with this thing that is common with everyone but we all see things differently.

So, don't think this book is overly dramatic, sad or creepy. No. It's about mys
Mindy Macheske
Avery Olive contacted and asked me if I would be interested in hosting a day of her blog tour and since it was my first opportunity to do so, I couldn’t say no. And I am so glad she did, for if she didn’t I probably would have missed this book completely and that would have been a shame!

Avery blew me away with A Stiff Kiss as I discovered it was chillingly morbid, gravely disturbing, and impulsively rebellious. This gripping novel had an amazing cast of exceptionally bizarre and immersing chara
Wendy
Xylia found her mother dead on Christmas Day. In the years since, she has been obsessed by death. Her father, a doctor, finds her habit of attending the funerals of strangers unhealthy. With a planned road trip held hostage on a condition of good behavior, Xylia puts on a goofy outfit in her school’s colors–the only clothes she owns that aren’t black–and she gets into her dad’s car to attend the last soccer game of the year. Xylia’s relationship with her father has become distant over the years ...more
Clare
Writing: 4 wings

I would use the world “light” to describe Olive’s writing style. It’s easy to read, and you can get caught up in the prose. I was able to read this in about two days, and I only cut up my reading time because I had to work.

There is a dark side to light writing, however. Too light means that the darker parts of the novel–like Xylia needing closure on a certain event that I will not spoil–don’t get explored in a satisfying way. That’s not to say that her character wasn’t fully expl
Leigh (Little Book Star)
ORIGINAL POST AT: Little Book Star
Rate: 4.5/5

Wow, this book, just wow. A very enjoyable and fast read! Usually we see a prince charming bringing back a princess alive by a *wait for it* kiss, like Disney’s Sleeping Beauty let’s say. BUT in A Stiff Kiss, it’s the exact opposite and it’s modern. The “princess” is actually the one who wakes up the “prince charming”. I’ve never read a book with this kind of concept so it was really interesting and I actually stayed up till 2 in the morning because I
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
Well I personally think that the summary gives a little too much away about the story, it really does sum up the book perfectly.
One thing that appealed to me while reading the story is how morbid Xylia is when it comes to death. Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing gross in the story, she's just borderline obsessive about death. This extends to the fact that the loss of her mother hasn't fully set in yet. I know that a loss of a loved one never really, truly is something that you ever get ov
Louann Carroll
I wasn't sure if I'd like A STIFF KISS. I wasn't sure how I'd like thinking about someone kissing a dead person good-bye, but in fact, I loved the story and enjoyed reading the novel. Though I have to admit, I'm still thinking about that kiss.

After her mother's death on Christmas day, Xylia becomes fascinated by death. (Olive describes Xylia's reactions extremely well.) Not that her father approves, but what are you going to do with a teenager whose compulsion outweighs her common sense?

So, she
Mary Grace
How morbid can you get when it comes to the dead? Xylia apparently loves to watch funerals, sleep in grave sites and sneak at morgues. Xylia is not your typical teenager. She rather wants to be in black, yet she's not emo. She is fascinated with anything dead related but she's not any different from your typical teenager. She gets good grades, hangs out with friends and functions properly asides the dead aspect though.

First I thought A Stiff Kiss was going to be another boring read yet from the
Alyssa
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

A Stiff Kiss by Avery Olive
Publisher: Crescent Moon Press
Publication Date: February 12, 2012
Rating: 4 stars
Source: Won a copy from the author

(old review - originally posted on September 26, 2012)

This book really stuck with me after I finished it. I won an e-copy and print copy of this book from Ms. Olive, and read it through in one sitting. Ms. Olive floored me with her interesting and strange story of life and death.

Summary (from Goodreads):

Who kn
Mar
Originally posted on my blog, How I see it reviews

A Stiff Kiss was so much better than I expected it to be! The book looked not extremely interesting to me at first, but once I opened it and started reading I just fell in love with the whole concept, the characters and the oh-so-addictive story.

Xylia is a goth girl, always dressed in black. She loves to hang out on graveyards, is always close to death. But she also has her girly side. She is in love with Landon, the most popular boy in school.
Avery
I must admit that going into this book I just expected it to be a fluffy read- a book with a lot of entertainment value, but also a book with little substance (a stereotypical rom-com with a paranormal element). After having finished this book all I can do is shake my head at my earlier stupidity, this book was anything but, yes, it was a paranormal rom-com of sorts, but it was so much more, a story of forgiveness, a story of growth, a story of acceptance and the likes of- it exceeded my expecta ...more
Mandy Sickle
I received A Stiff Kiss in return for an honest review as part of the Book Tour on Bewitching Book Tours. Xylia isn't your typical high school girl, instead of being worried about boys, clothes, parties she fascinated with death. She was the one to find her mother after she had passed away and hasn't really gotten over her death. She likes to check out haunted houses, visit cemeteries and even drop in on random funerals. Xylia works at the hospital thanks to her dad's help where she spends her t ...more
Book Whales
Originally posted @ Book Whales

Who knew kissing a corpse would change everything?

I was fortunate enough to be given a copy directly from the author. I admit! I was hesitant to read it at first. The blurb is so unique; a protagonist stole a kiss from a corpse? Well, I read the first few chapters and was impressed. It was a fun and light read.

The story is about Xylia, a broken girl who struggles to cope to her mother’s death. Landon, the school’s star athlete and her crush fell during a game. He
Delphina
This book is absolutely amazing!I am not sure what I thought when I read the synopsis. I think I was figuring it would be one of those new "zombies are not so gross" kinds of novels. I was not expecting a fun YA novel that at the same time was very deep. I can see a YA audience being drawn to this book and I found myself at almost *coughs* 40, completely mesmerized by the story.

Here are some of the things I loved about this book:

*While the story was fun, it was also very deep. I loved watching
Dan Wright
WARNING! THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Since the death of her mother, Xylia has had an almost unhealthy obsession with death - visiting graveyards and supposedly haunted places. Her father is worried for her and tries everything to quell her obsession, but to no affect.

Landon is the school jock and rising football star (yes, I know he's a soccer player - but I'm British and we call it football, dammit! Ok, rant over, lol), and Xylia is head over heels in love with him - despite the fact he's alr
Andrea
Xylia Morana is a unique girl, to say the least. Since her mother died, she has been fascinated by all aspects of death. She wonders the cemeteries, tries to sneak into morgues, works around those who are close to death. When her high school crush suddenly dies, Xylia decides to pay him one last visit in the morgue. But when she kisses him goodbye, she brings him to life, upsetting the balance between life and death.

So...I just didn't love A STIFF KISS. I thought the premise was cool, it reminde
Cindy Young-Turner
I don't read a lot of YA books these days, but I enjoyed A Stiff Kiss. Characters are what make or break a book for me, and I loved the ones Ms. Olive has created. Even the secondary characters were interesting, but Xylia and Landon were great, complicated characters who don't conform to stereotypes. The reader is immediately drawn into their world and their problems and they take you on an interesting and sometimes morbid ride. How do you tell someone your kiss brought them back to life? It's a ...more
Agnes Jayne
I must admit - when I read the blurb for this book, my eyebrows shot into my head. To say the least, this book does not contain your typical subject matter. Once I started reading, however, I was immediately sucked into the book. Xylia is a rather strange young woman who becomes obsessed with all things death after the passing of her mother. When her secret crush dies unexpectedly, Xylia meets him for a final goodbye. Chaos ensues.

This story is delightfully refreshing, strange, and wonderfully c
Avery Olive
Feb 23, 2012 Avery Olive rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
This isn't my review, but figured I'd share the first review of A Stiff Kiss left on Amazon!

"Saucee" Writes:

I really enjoyed reading "A Stiff Kiss" by Avery Olive. This book had me laughing in some parts and crying in others. Avery keeps you engaged in this book from start to finish and your always wanting more!

Whoever they are was kind enough to give A Stiff Kiss 5 stars!
Casea Major
This was fun fast read. The characters were well formed and loveable. Xylia's plight to find closure was believable as well as emotional. Landon was swoon-worthy. It's a great story.
Rebecca
This is refreshing and different - in the good way - and a new take on things. The author, Avery, has a wonderful writing style. I look forward to reading her future books.
Ayanami Faerudo
Original review at Whatever You Can Still Betray.

Weird. The first thing I thought of when I read the synopsis was "This will be something weird". I guess it would be weird since who goes around kissing corpses?

The first few chapters I was treated to a typical opening of a YA read. A girl who was different, who dressed like everyday she was going to a funeral, who was at odds with her parent(s), and who did something that would warrant her a one-way ticket to Invisible-in-high-school-ville even i
Farrah
Fun, romantic, and with a touch of paranormal. A Stiff Kiss was a lovely read. Quirky and sweet, this is a great book to read when you just want something to make you smile.

I loved the lightness to this book. Though it dealt with issues of death, the dark topic didn't bog down the book. It remained a lighthearted read on a serious theme, which I thought was a great accomplishment. There were serious moments, as Xylia dealt with the death of her mother and the fear of losing Landon. But, for the
.99cent Amazon Black Friday Sale On NOW! 1 2 Nov 28, 2013 12:53PM
A Stiff Kiss Scavenger Hunt Giveaway 1 1 Jul 04, 2012 01:15PM
A Stiff Kiss Blog Tour March 18-31! 1 1 Mar 15, 2012 11:21AM
  • The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow: Surreptitious Superhero
  • Sun Damage (Sunshine, #3)
  • Cruise of the Undead (Zombies in Paradise #1)
  • A Soul's Kiss
  • Centaur Redemption (Touched, #4)
  • Marked for Vengeance (Alyx Rayer Chronicles, #1)
  • Stakeout (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter #2.5)
  • Other Side of Forever
  • Blood Twist (Erris Coven, # 2)
  • Becoming Bryn
  • The Color of Greed (Raja Williams Mystery Series, 1)
  • Burning Bright (Ivy Granger, #3)
  • Savor
  • Moving Too Fast (Destiny Bay Romance~Forever Yours Sweet Edition 3)
  • Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence # 1)
  • Awaken (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • Bell, Book, and Sandals
  • Compelled (Coveted, #3)
Avery Olive doesn't kiss and tell. Except when it comes to writing about hot supernatural guys. She lives with her husband and son in Red Deer, Alberta, where she spends way too much time reading, writing and avoiding house work.

She's the author of A Stiff Kiss, a young adult novel with a morbid twist on a classic fairytale, in reverse, and Won't Let Go, involving an amnesic ghostboy who just won
More about Avery Olive...
Won't Let Go