Start by marking “The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #9)

The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes #9)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  796 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
On a summer evening, while engaged in in an aimless conversation that has come round to the topic of hereditary attributes, Doctor Watson learns that Sherlock Holmes, far from being a one-off in terms of his powers of observation and deductive reasoning, in fact has an elder brother whose skills, or so Holmes claims, outstrip even his own. As a consequence of this, Watson ...more
ebook
Published (first published 1893)

Jason Koivu
Jul 15, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Dashing! Oh so dashing! And I mean that literally. Holmes and Watson must go dashing about to save the victims of an extortion plot.

In this short adventure, Sherlock Holmes is tasked with such a simple case that Watson is the one who ends up solving it. Arthur Conan Doyle went for atmosphere, intrigue and action over mind-twisting mystery in The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter. That makes for a nicely paced thriller of a more parochial nature than usual.

The baddies are a little more cookie-
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Perfect length for a cuppa.

This was an interesting one, not quite so predictable as the previous few stories have been, but I still managed to figure it out by the end.

What is it about some people that just make them so awful?
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes #9), Arthur Conan Doyle
عنوان: مترجم یونانی : مشهورترین داستانهای کارآگاهی جهان؛ نویسنده: آرتور کانن دویل؛ مترجم: سیدحبیب الله لزگی؛ تهران، ذکر، کتابهای قاصدک، 1394، در 16 ص، مصور رنگی، داستانهای پلیسی برای نوجوانان، شابک: 9789643076825؛
Jason Parent
Apr 11, 2016 Jason Parent rated it really liked it
A good start with an unsatisfying finish... sounds like... well, never mind
Jeff Yoak
The Greek Interpreter turned out to be one of my favorites. First, it introduced one of my favorite minor characters in the series -- Mycroft Holmes, Sherlock's older, more observant and deductively more powerful, but more sedentary brother. I always enjoy the interplay between Sherlock and Mycroft and this introduction was particularly pleasant.

The mystery itself is of roughly typical caliber. My particular enjoyment of this particular story came mostly from characters.

There is also a quote I p
Alexandra

قصه قصيره وجميله عن مترجم يوناني وقضيه غامضه لرجل يوناني مخطوف

ممتعه انصح بها
Rajan
Jul 18, 2015 Rajan rated it it was amazing
A very mysterious story of my most favorite fictitious character of all time, Sherlock Holmes.
(view spoiler)

My Rating System:
Rao Javed
Jul 23, 2014 Rao Javed rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
You might not get much of Sherlock story in which the whole story is not explained. This is one of those story of Sherlock that deliberately does not imparts the ending.
-Over and Out
Rao Umar
Isabelle Regan
Jan 01, 2014 Isabelle Regan rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of my favourite of all of the Sherlock Holmes stories. It's a short, easy read and not difficult to follow the plot lines, as I have sometimes found with some of the other books in the collection. It was a very interesting and gripping tale and I would definitely recommend reading it. I absolutely loved it.
Khaled Al-Bahnsawy
Apr 20, 2016 Khaled Al-Bahnsawy rated it really liked it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
مغامرة المترجم اليوناني
لا تنبع أهمية هذه القصة في سلسلة قصص شرلوك هولمز في قصتها نفسها ولكن في أنها كانت التقدمية لشخصية مايكروفت هولمز الضلع الخامس والأخير في حياة شرلوك هولمز
فإذا اعتبرنا واطسن صديقه الصدوق و ايرين أدلر نقطة ضعفه و البروفيسور موريارتي عدوه اللدود فان مايكروفت يعتبر مستشاره الشخصي.
مايكروفت الأخ الأكبر الذي وصفه شرلوك بأنه
ليس لديه طموح أو طاقة، ولن يتزحزح عن هذا حتى ليثبت حلوله الخاصة، ويُفضِل أن يُعتبر حله خاطئاً على أن يتحمل عناء إثبات صحة كلامه. كثيراً ما أخذت مُعضلاتي إليه
Collin A.
May 13, 2013 Collin A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Greek Interpreter was certainly a Holmes story worthy of the great detectives name! Although this adventure was lacking in the way of logical deductions Lin the manner of the crime, the story was jam-packed with suspense and evil and crafty villains. A great read!
Kevin
Jul 04, 2013 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant! I love the introduction of Mycroft. I wish that Conan Doyle had brought him into the story earlier. I find him to be as interesting a character as Sherlock himself.
Tomi Farina
Jan 04, 2015 Tomi Farina rated it really liked it
Es un caso simple el cual hasta Watson termina deduciendo. Una atmósfera muy intrigante y misteriosa , además de introducir al hermano mayor de Holmes!
B.
Jan 26, 2015 B. rated it really liked it
Plot with a great potential ultimately lacking, but good introduction to Mycroft Holmes, a favourite character of mine.
Joanne G.
Nov 08, 2013 Joanne G. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic, mystery
We meet Mycroft, Sherlock's brilliant, but unmotivated, brother in a story of coercion and murder.
Kael
Jan 04, 2013 Kael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uno de los mejores de Sherlock Holmes, y una muy buena introduccion al personaje de Mycroft.
Ruthie Jones
Dec 09, 2015 Ruthie Jones rated it liked it
In this little adventure, Watson is introduced to Sherlock's brother, Mycroft. Apparently, Mycroft's observational abilities outstrip Sherlock's, but he is too lazy to move himself beyond his armchair at the Diogenes Club (where everyone reads and no one speaks).

There's isn't too much to this short story. It's a Sherlockian interlude that provides a rare glimpse into Sherlock's personal life. He's not an orphan with no living relatives as Watson has always suspected (or "a brain without a heart"
Tom
Aug 03, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it
Good story. You think you know the answer until it is revealed.
Yoda Bor
Feb 20, 2016 Yoda Bor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J’aime particulièrement cette nouvelle et c’est entièrement la faute de Mycroft. Il faut dire que j’adore ce personnage dans la série Sherlock, notamment grâce à son interprète, Mark Gatiss.
Le Mycroft canon surprend un peu quand on retourne aux sources avec un brave bonhomme placide et pantouflard et surtout … comptable (bien que rien n’empêche cette activité d’en cacher une autre après tout …).

L’enquête n’est pas des plus palpitantes, l’énigme étant apportée sur un plateau par Mycroft et la sol
Oct 14, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Aldo K. wachyudi
Apr 18, 2013 Aldo K. wachyudi rated it really liked it
Brilliant brothers.
Roberto Mattos
Oct 01, 2014 Roberto Mattos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another entertaining short story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, featuring Sherlock Holmes. Plot is very interesting: on a summer evening, while engaged in an aimless conversation that has come round to the topic of hereditary attributes, Doctor Watson learns that Sherlock Holmes, far from being a one-off in terms of his powers of observation and deductive reasoning, in fact has an elder brother whose skills, or so Holmes claims, outstrip even his own. As a consequence of this, Watson becomes ...more
Mariana
Dec 29, 2013 Mariana rated it really liked it
3.5
Bill Lynas
Oct 08, 2015 Bill Lynas rated it it was amazing
Although I've read all of Conan Doyle's Holmes stories before it's good to pick one (or all of them) up again. The Greek Interpreter is one of his best, with it's gripping opening & wonderful conversations between Sherlock Holmes & his brother Mycroft. It is also also the story which contains the quote "Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest forms," which inspired the title of Bonnie MacBird's excellent 2015 Holmes novel.
Andrew Lovell
May 22, 2016 Andrew Lovell rated it it was ok
I love the writing of Arthur Conan Doyle but I found the story line pointless. The ending wasn't what I was expecting or hoping for and was left somewhat unresolved. Not one of my favorite Sherlock Holmes stories...not was it one of Doyle's. He himself ranked it 17 out of 19 within the Adventures of Sherlock stories.
Dan Wilson
Apr 28, 2014 Dan Wilson rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this dark and mysterious tale. We are introduced to Sherlock's brother Mycroft as well as the curious Diogenes Club. For once the foreigners are not the bad guys. Instead, the Greek characters are victimized by truly villainous British brutes.
τλιϓλ
كان أروع مافي القصة هو وجود شقيق شيرلوك الأكبر: مايكروفت، لقد أدهشني حقا بأسلوبه واستنتاجاته وبدا لو انه كما قال شقيقه محبا لبذل بعض الطاقة لفاق شيرلوك شهرة وصيتا..
لازلت أعيد النظر واتأمل كلمات شيرلوك بخصوص شقيقه:
"قلت أنه يفوقني في قوة الملاحظة والاستنتاج المنطقي فلو كان عمل التحقيق يبدأ وينتهي من فوق كرسي مريح لكان أخي أعظم محقق على الإطلاق ولكنه لا يملك الطموح ولا الطاقة فهو لن يبذل أي جهد ليُثبت نتيجة تفكيره والحل الذي توصل إليه بل إنه يفضل أن يعتبروه مخطئا على أن يتكبد مشقة إثبات صحة رأيه!
ل
  • Mary's Christmas
  • آمنت بربكم فاسمعون
  • Vera or the Nihilists
  • (الرجل الذي يجمع كتب (بو
  • Repo Chick Blues (The Leah Ryan Mysteries, #1)
  • From Beyond
  • The War of the Worlds : Mars' Invasion of Earth, Inciting Panic and Inspiring Terror from H.G. Wells to Orson Welles and Beyond with audio cd
  • Sir Harry Hotspur Of Humblethwaite
  • I'll Never Be Young Again
  • حياتي مع الجوع والحب والحرب - الجزء الأول
  • The Sherlock Holmes Book
  • Carmen: Libretto
  • No Thoroughfare
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Silver Blaze (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Adventure of the Yellow Face (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventure of the Stockbroker's Clerk (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • Sherlock Holmes : Tragedi kapal Gloria Scott
  • The Musgrave Ritual (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Adventure of the Reigate Squire (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Adventure of the Crooked Man (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • The Adventure of the Resident Patient (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Naval Treaty  (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #10)
  • The Adventure of the Final Problem  (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #11)

“My dear Watson," said [Sherlock Holmes], "I cannot agree with those who rank modesty among the virtues. To the logician all things should be seen exactly as they are, and to underestimate one's self is as much a departure from truth as to exaggerate one's own powers.” 173 likes
“There are many men in London, you know, who, some from shyness, some from misanthropy, have no wish for the company of their fellows. Yet they are not averse to comfortable chairs and the latest periodicals. It is for the convenience of these that the Diogenes Club was started, and it now contains the most unsociable and unclubbable men in town. No member is permitted to take the least notice of any other one. Save in the Stranger's Room, no talking is, under any circumstances, allowed, and three offenses, if brought to the notice of the committee, render the talker liable to expulsion. My brother was one of the founders, and I have myself found it a very soothing atmosphere.” 30 likes