Chance Encounters

Chance Encounters

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,733 ratings  ·  236 reviews
Caroline Weber was a normal girl who thought she had her life figured out. After graduating from college in New York, she moved to San Francisco with her boyfriend, Clay. Everything in her life felt perfect. There wasn't anything she would change... ...until she met Jackson Parks. Is it possible that a chance meeting with a stranger can make you question EVERYTHING you tho...more
Paperback, first, 165 pages
Published April 2012

To ask other readers questions about Chance Encounters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chance Encounters

Fred
Super sigh of sweet satisfaction!

Remember this song, by Bryan Adams?

"When you love someone, you'll sacrifice
You'll give everything you got, and you won't think twice
You'll risk it all, no matter what may come
When you love someone.
You'll shoot the moon, put out the sun
When you love someone"

Those words sound so vanilla, just sitting there on the page, but with the smoky, smouldering intensity of Bryan Adams' voice and the moody dreamlike flute and piano accompaniment, they convey a powerful sense...more
Tough Critic Book Reviews
READ THIS REVIEW!!!

The reason for the bold-face shouty capitals is because when most readers see a 3 star rating they run screaming for the hills like a half naked big breasted woman in a horror movie! Please don't run. Have a seat and let me explain!

What I find most fascinating about Chance Encounters is that it's a new adult book that reads like a YA! Raise your hand if you're an adult stuck in young adult book land. You like the way they read, but you wish the characters were at least old eno...more
Alishia
What do you do if you love the one your with – you adore them and love them with your whole heart – but then one day you meet someone who you have an instant and deep connection with? What if this person could possibly be your soulmate – the person you were meant to spend the rest of your life with. Could you just walk away?

This is the question that is tearing Caroline in two. Does she stay with Clay, her boyfriend, who she loves and who she thought was her future, or does she choose Jackson, a...more
carole
There is absolutely no shortage of amazing indie authors! In this time of digital publishing they seem to be popping up everywhere, and I absolutely positively love that. It has brought us the Nicole Williams, Tammara Webbers, Colleen Hoovers, Jamie McGuires, Liz Reinhardts, and J. Sterlings of the world! To those who don't or just won't review indie pubbed books, this is for you :P Because you are missing out!

I have been reading a lot about author J. Sterling recently, especially with her atten...more
Anas Attic  Book Blog
Read more of my reviews and ramblings at Ana's Attic Sexy Tales and Toys
While I normally dislike books where there is dishonesty and cheating, Chance Encounters by J. Sterling was different. What do you do when, even though you love your boyfriend so much, and he is the perfect mate for you, but you bump into a handsome stranger and have an instant connection like one you’ve never had before? Can you forget that sizzle and get on with your life? Or will you always wonder if perhaps you missed yo...more
Melissa
I love YA and I love contemporary romance - this book is like getting both in one. It is written in a YA style but the characters are older than your typical YA book. a.k.a This book is right up my alley.

Chance Encounters is about love at first site, it's about wondering if you are with the right person, it is about taking chances, and it is about breaking hearts. I think my favorite line from the book was "Sometimes other hearts have to break in order to keep yours intact."

I have been in a bit...more
Lori
I have to first say Congrats to J. Sterling!!!! I can see where she has grown confidence in her writing and am proud to say that Chance Encounters was a wonderful read... Solid 4.5 stars. I fell in love with the Characters... Jackson especially, I felt the love, the heart break, and most especially the deep connection between all of them.

I also have to give J. big props for not having Caroline physically cheat... granted she fell in love with another man while in a relationship BUT she was resp...more
Tara
Talk about a guilty pleasure book.

Caroline has the perfect boyfriend...there is nothing at all wrong with Clay Matthews (J. Sterling are you a Packers fan?) or the way he loves Caroline. Even she would tell you that, before she got on a plane that is.

If I was her real life friend I would be kicking her ass for even thinking about another guy while she had the perfect guy at home. Here is where the guilty pleasure kicks in though because the minute Jackson was introduced...I was hooked. Loved h...more
Tarryn Fisher
Awww, man! This was like a sugar overdose. I am currently lying on my couch fighting away happily ever afters and thoughts of true love. Most of you know how angsty I am. I read dark, murky, slightly sick novels. I read to feel-and not necessarily to feel happy. J. Sterling has an eternally optimistic view of love and life. Caroline and Jax are clearly meant to be together and this is a novel for those who believe in true love...and maybe even those who don't. Okay, I have to go exercise myself...more
I LOVED this book....read it in one day. I couldn't put it down. This book made me feel many emotions ....from happy, sad and love. It also showed me you should always follow your heart. Also not to waste any time ....live each day like it's your last. A must read!!!!!!!
Laura Young
Title: Chance Encounters
Author: J Sterling
Page count: 236
Genre: Contemporary
My rating: 4/5
Publisher: ...
Published: April 2012
Summary: Caroline Weber was a normal girl who thought she had her life figured out. After graduating from college in New York, she moved to San Francisco with her boyfriend, Clay. Everything in her life felt perfect. There wasn't anything she would change...
...until she met Jackson Parks.
Is it possible that a chance meeting with a stranger can make you question EVERYTHING...more
Andrea Randall
When reading YA books, I try to keep in mind the intended audience (despite my 29 years). With Chance Encounters, I didn't have to think about it! I appreciate when the action starts right away, when plot tension doesn't come half-way through the book, and CE hit the mark in that respect.

I fell in love immediately with Jackson Parks, but, like our main character Caroline, I was also in love with her boyfriend Clay. The story is real, palpable, and heartbreaking. The ping-pong game between Caroli...more
Kala
I recently read The Perfect Game by J. Sterling and I liked it a lot. It had some issues with the plot that made me give it only 3 stars, but overall I enjoyed the characters and the writing.

Not as much with Chance Encounters. I thought the first meeting between Jackson and Caroline was awkward and unrealistic. I didn't buy the progression of their relationship at all.

It's also difficult to become attached to a character as unlikable as Caroline. She is constantly talking to Jackson, mooning ove...more
Jaymie
2.5 Stars! I am really torn as to how to rate this book. 4 stars for the idea, I think this story had a lot of potential. I liked the idea of a girl who thinks she has everything she wants until she meets a stranger who she just can't get out of her mind. However I really have to say the execution of the story was more 2 stars. So I will give it 2.5!

I am a huge fan of J. Sterling's bookThe Perfect Game, I absolutely loved it. So I was anxious to read more of her works. Unfortunately Chance Encou...more
Alyssa
Despite the relatively lower reviews, I quite enjoyed this book a lot. The book is what it claims to be: a story about a girl who is in a long-term relationship with her boyfriend, Clay, who she previously believed was the one for her. They had everything planned out for them and didn't see any foreseeable change to their plans. Until Caroline meets Jackson, a boy she can't help but feel an instant attraction to and can't keep herself away from.

I don't condone cheating at all, and although Carol...more
Nakita McDonagh
The best part about this book was the end.

"Together.
Forever.
They had always both known it.
An today was only the beginning."

Short, simple sentences that reek of love and romance.
Oh, you probably think I actually read this book all the way through....ha, did I heck!
First of all, Caroline is just....infuriating. She somehow manages to make her speech at her friends funeral about her and how she's going to start living her life, an then she gets on the plane home and....well. She sees a guy she thi...more
Just My Opinion
Holy…Tomatoes…&…Zucchini Batman….THIS is a love story!

J. Sterling very graciously provided me with a copy of her novel to review and I can't thank her enough!

Once again, J. Sterling has floored me with a novel that was so riveting I couldn’t put it down. Literally, right from the very first pages, I was feeling a connection with the characters and their circumstances. The characters have personalities of people you know. They are so realistic and likable that you can’t help but become vested...more
Rose
While I had previously never read anything by Ms. Sterling I am very glad I picked up this book. This book is probably the best book I've read this month.

I finished this in just a few hours and found myself staying up a little later just to finish it. The book was wonderful. I definitely understood exactly where Caroline was coming from despite having never been in her situation. It definitely makes her situation all the harder because Clay isn't a jerk. Even though this is true about Clay, I s...more
A.L.
Chance Encounters was a nice book with a decent amount of angst but not too much. The only thing I struggled with was that I did not think that the dialogue was believable. When I'm reading dialogue, I want to be able to hear it. People just don't talk like that.

I did like the interactions between Jackson and his friends. I thought that was good and I was drawn to them. I actually preferred reading about them than reading Caroline lamenting with Bailey. I did think that Alex might be a little un...more
Zoe and the Edge
Apr 01, 2013 Zoe and the Edge rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Zoe and the Edge by: Arijana
Review Ramblings
ugh, can't.stand.the cheese-fest....wait, you're going to do, what? ...hey, this isn't so bad...I kind of like Bailey....Thomas needs to get over himself ….OMG, I can't believe these idiots...Seriously, pick up the damn phone...please stop driving me insane...aww..for like, two seconds and then we're back to super sappy.

Insta-love.
'Nuff said.

I absolutely hated the start of the book and the rest was just okay.
I liked tidbits here and there. I liked Clay and Caroline's relationsh...more
Melissa
May 13, 2012 Melissa added it
Shelves: ba-author, own
I think the premise of this book happens more often in life then people realize, yet I don't think most people have the balls to do what Caroline chose in the end. However, considering Jackson's situation that may have been what gave her that extra little nudge.

Overall, this was a really sweet read. I would recommend it for anyone who thinks they are "happy" in their relationship when really they are just settling. I think everyone deserves that knock-you-off-your-feet sort of love and maybe th...more
Amanda
3.5 Stars This book is so beautifully and well written that I could not put it down! I hate when love at first sight books are too mushy or cheesy, and this is not one of those books! J. Sterling does a fantastic job with making the reader feel the different emotions from heart breaking sad, to warm and fuzzy love!!

Even though there is no sex, the chemistry and story is definitely there!!

I'm so looking forward to reading more by J Sterling!
Anne OK
A chance encounter in mid-air brings soulmates face to face. Of course, nothing in romanceland goes without some angst and misery attached thereto. Same goes here. It has a happily-ever-after and no cliffhanger - that alone was a big plus. This one is a little on the unrealistic end of the spectrum (at least for me) but it was a fun-to-read book and the characters wound themselves around my heart. At 99-cents, I would say it was pennies well-spent.
Gitte - TotallyBookedBlog
I don't want to give any spoilers, so all I'll say is that this story is heart-breakingly beautiful and so well written, so emotional, you cannot help getting completely swept up in it. I read this in almost one sitting..couldn't put it down..!!!

The meeting of soul-mates meant to be together..taking risks...possibly making life altering decisions...what would you do, what should you do?

Oh and Jackson...uhmm...YUM!!!

April
Although this book dragged a bit, I liked the concept of the story. Their encounter was a bit unbelievable but at the same time sweet. Very tame. Very sweet. Loved the interactions with Jackson and his friends. Tommy was very believable (Til it got too strong) and Alex, well, what guy talks like that?! Bailey's sarcasm and outlook was great. Tar was way too emotional. Caroline was a confusing mess but I got her.
Michelle Pace
Not much of a romance reader, but J. Sterling's nonconventional take was refreshing. Her main character's emotional stress was realistically written and her male characters were written like men and not the typical b.s. girls with penises. I appreaciated that there weren't "good guys" and "bad guys" like there are in so many romances...just people with conflicting goals. I would definately read more of J.'s work.
Andrea Gage
What an amazing book. Very good read and keeps you turning pages just to find out what the main character Caroline is going to do about the toughest decision she has to make. I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a really sweet and romantic love story.
Michelle Mankin
Very cool premise. Well written. Lots of deep quotable lines. Solid secondary characters. Loved setting. Author really captures way girlfriends talk and relate-which I loved!
Kristi Davis
I loved the emotional torture of how Care was scared on which way to go. It was articulated wonderfully and what a 'chance encounter'! Loved it!
Tina
Oh god the writing is atrocious.
  • The Perpetual Quest for the Perfect Life
  • Waiting on Forever (The Forever Series, #2)
  • Love Revolution (Brutal Strength #2; Black Cat Records, #2)
  • Delicate
  • Bouquet Toss (Love of My Life, #1)
  • Ten Days of Perfect (November Blue, #1)
  • Saving Grace
  • Protecting Truth (The Seraphina Parrish Trilogy, #2)
  • Perchance
  • Aftershocks
  • Snowed Over
  • If I Can't Have You
  • The Boots My Mother Gave Me
I got fired from my last job. It's true. I know you're sitting there thinking "Jenn, how could anyone in their right mind fire someone as amazing and awesome as you???" And i'd love to give you a good reason, but the truth is- being this awesome is clearly very scary to other less awesome people.

So I said screw them and started writing my first book. And you know what I realized? Writing books th...more
More about J. Sterling...
The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game, #1) The Game Changer (The Perfect Game, #2) The Sweetest Game (The Perfect Game, #3) Seeing Stars (Celebrity, #1) In Dreams (The Dream, #1)

“Sometimes other hearts have to break in order to keep your intact.” 23 likes
“Love isn’t all rainbows and unicorns all the
time. And neither is life. Sometimes life is really