Start by marking “Bangkok Burn (Bangkok Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Bangkok Burn (Bangkok Series #1)

Bangkok Burn (Bangkok Series #1)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Orphaned as a child and raised as the only son of a Thai mafia godfather, Chance plans to quit the family business for the woman he loves.

Chance’s father is the godfather of Pak Nam and owner of the largest crocodile farm on earth. He didn’t get to where he is without knowing a thing or two about people, including how long it takes for a crocodile to digest one. Before Cha
Published January 12th 2012 by I & I Press (first published January 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bangkok Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bangkok Burn

Everyone Burns by John DolanDaddy's Hobby by Owen  JonesTiger Lily of Bangkok by Owen  JonesThe Disallowed by Owen  JonesBangkok 8 by John Burdett
Books Set in Thailand
21st out of 82 books — 85 voters
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniShōgun by James ClavellNorwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiThe Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
Best Books on Asia
156th out of 674 books — 472 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason
Mar 31, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed this book. This is the second book by Simon Royle that i have read, and both were pretty good, this one though, is much better than the other. It is very much like "The Sopranos", but in thailand, rather than New Jersey. It is told first person by Chance, the not quite middle age patriarch of an organized crime group, similar to Tony Soprano, but a little younger. It follows his train of thought and his actions directly, but includes enought backsotry of the other characters to ...more
Jenni
Mar 19, 2012 Jenni rated it it was ok
Bangkok Burn - A Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book because I was intrigued by the setting, having myself lived overseas for years. I loved the descriptions of Bangkok and Thailand in general, and I was intrigued by the plot. The story is good, and the characters are pretty well fleshed out. I thought the writing was very good in places and lacking in others. The Kindle version I read had several places where sentence structure was spotty, as if the book had been written in a hurry and
Sharon Michael
May 21, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it really liked it
Interesting read, definitely thriller rather than mystery, set in a location (Thailand) that is a complete unknown to me and revolving around a 'mob' family business. If the author is writing from personal knowledge, it is an intriguing look into a totally different culture. If not, it is still a very interesting read. The plot was interesting, the look into the oriental mindset very unique and the characters quite well defined and descriptions of the countryside are very vivid.

Overall, a fast p
Andrew
Apr 11, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
This book will hold you from start to end. It is a fast-moving thriller that does not let up for a second and I could not put it down. The story is told in a way that puts you in Thailand, and in a way that makes you feel like you have lived there yourself. The inclusion of the events of 2010 as a backdrop was done very well.

If you lean more toward Barry Eisler than to Vince Flynn, this was written for you.

The book could have been formatted better. And I wasn’t sure if some of the editing and gr
Citatel
Jan 22, 2012 Citatel rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read in quite a long time.

The combination of exotic setting, fast-paced action, guns, fast cars, gangsters, a bit of romance, and very likeable villains was just perfect for my taste. The plot is complex with a few sub-plots with flash-backs to the past.

I like when you can't predict how is it going to end. With this book you often can't predict what is going to happen on the next page.

The author Simon Royle has been living in Bangkok for quite a long time a
Bev
Sep 05, 2014 Bev rated it really liked it
Fast paced and some good insights into Thai society. Enjoyable read.
Shawna Hansen
Apr 01, 2012 Shawna Hansen rated it really liked it
Lots of great characters! Loved the feel of the Thai landscape and the political climate happening behind the scenes. Fast-paced, fast-moving and lots of twists and turns.

Some minor editing issues (missing words), but nothing big. Could use a quick cleanup before the next edition.

Roseann Esposito
Jan 20, 2013 Roseann Esposito rated it really liked it
I haven't read a gangster book since The Godfather books. I was pleasantly surprised. Lots of twist, great cast of characters and lots of action. I really enjoyed this book
Dennis Willingham
Sep 30, 2012 Dennis Willingham rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, kindle, 2012
Good thriller, reads much like a good Hong Kong action movie, very fast paced.
Lars Hansen
Jun 13, 2012 Lars Hansen rated it really liked it
Fast paced, exciting Thai mafia story. Highly recommended.
Ben Campbell
Apr 13, 2012 Ben Campbell rated it really liked it
Bombs, guns, women, fast cars, foreigners, gangs, killers, kidnappers, social unrest, sex, drugs, prostitutes, politicians, police on the take, Asians, Caucasians, alligators, sunsets, marijuana and money, this story has it all not to mention the social/political repercussions of deceit, debauchery and delusions with family members, within the whole community of gang related businesses.

I never get tired of reading such fascinating, entertaining stories set in countries other than the United Stat
Jeff Dawson
Jun 11, 2013 Jeff Dawson rated it it was ok
Bangkok Fizzle

I was provided a free copy for an honest review.

I was hoping for a pace pounding, seat-of-the-pants thriller set in the underworld of Bangkok. Not the case. The only characters I could develop any empathy for were Chance, Mother, Pim and Chai. All of the others were so sketchy, they appeared to be filler; afterthoughts to complete the story.

*****Spoiler Alert*****
I’m big on believable action scenes and the main one that decided whether Chance lives or dies puts James Bond to sham
Melissa Monks
Jan 11, 2013 Melissa Monks rated it liked it
Shelves: indie-books
This book could have used a few more revisions or at least a better editor. There are confusing tense shifts throughout and the author uses the wrong character name in one of the final chapters.

I liked the opening and was excited about the book at first, but the protagonist was quickly thrown into inaction and the book went downhill from there. At one point the protagonist states that most of a gangster's life is boring, just a lot of driving around and talking on the phone. Unfortunately, that
Candy
Aug 31, 2012 Candy rated it really liked it
I dare you to try to read this book is more than 3 days. No really. Go ahead.

Holy wow! Mr. Royle grabs us and drags us kicking and screaming into a hard boiled novel that is nothing short of action-packed. No, action-jammed. The characters are so well developed and well rounded while pushing the story further and further along.

I did have a few nit-pick editing issues (like the voice), but they were small and the strength of this book truly comes from the writing and the story.

I will say that I d
Lynn Hallbrooks
Oct 23, 2015 Lynn Hallbrooks rated it it was amazing
This is a Mystery/Thriller

Chance, the adopted son of a Thai Godfather, investigates a series of events that begin when a bomb goes off putting him and his father in the hospital.

I love how Mr. Royle weaves in Chance's thoughts, the cultural differences, and the historic background. I also love the plot twists and turns.

Warning: This book is for Mature Audiences due to Graphic Violence, Sexual Situations, Adult Language, and 'Drug' use.
Rkb 2015
Feb 13, 2015 Rkb 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: thailand
A Thai mafia style family head and his adopted son are targeted by rival gangs from Cambodia and Laos. Throw in government, military and police corruption while the son tries to solve the mystery of who instigated the hit. Lots of action, fast-paced and interesting. Great characters. Needs some editing, commas in strange places, sentences need ordering, but I really enjoyed it.
Kathy
Feb 13, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it
Chris
Apr 01, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book at first and then became indifferent. The story is about a high flying farang gangster who tries to figure out who blew him and the godfather up. It seems typical of a thriller - guns, nerves of steel, crafty smart protagonist who can tap the unlimited corrupt/gangster connections to best the villains. I enjoy descriptions of Bangkok but some other descriptions of activities seemed a bit too details and distracted from the plot. The writing is pretty good, but I would tell oth ...more
Bob
Oct 19, 2012 Bob rated it it was ok
Set primarily in Thailand, this is a running narrative by an adopted westerner into a Thai extended family with many interests both legitimate and illegitimate including a crocodile farm tourist attraction that also doubles as a disposal site for bodies. Lots of shooting as various factions and families battle for control. There is also a kidnapping of one of the family members at the recovery attempts. There is lots of atmosphere in this one. It makes Bangkok look like a dangerous place to live ...more
Bridget
Jul 08, 2012 Bridget rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books-owned
I liked this mafia-type tale with-in the setting of Bangkok. The story is set during the uprising of the Red Shirts against the Thai Government, an actual event that took place in 2010. The author takes this historical occurrence and interjects a plausible story of murder and attempted murder going on under the nose of the paid off police department. A story that is only possible when money is no object, and men/women will do whatever they are told regardless of the moral outcome.
Vicki Tyley
Feb 06, 2012 Vicki Tyley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie
“It took me a moment to realize, I couldn’t see her body, because it wasn’t attached to her head. I wiggled my toes and fingers.”

Fast, furious and dangerous. A real page-turner. I’ll never look at a crocodile the same way again.
Triin Kübar
Jul 17, 2013 Triin Kübar rated it liked it
Not the usual type of book I would go for, but I wanted to set mood for my holiday in Thailand. In addition to fast and bloody story line, it gave a great insight to local culture and traditions.
Karla
Jan 04, 2013 Karla rated it liked it
Similar to John Burdett, it's an interesting exploration of the darker side of Bangkok. The characters are flatter, and it needed a good editor, but the plot has lots of twists and turns
Tom
Jul 01, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Thugs and gangsters and Yakuza in Bangkok and family is family even when you're a farang adopted into a Bangkok mafia family.
Creed
Dec 25, 2012 Creed rated it really liked it
Quick read. Reminiscent of the John Rain series by Barry Eisler. Good "brain candy" book.
Sandra Sue
Good action book.
James
James rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2016
Gary Wetzel
Gary Wetzel rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Rob Rudnicki
Rob Rudnicki marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Kim Walton
Kim Walton rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
  • Silent Counsel
  • The Concert Killer
  • Spirit House
  • Blacklisted
  • Take No More (James Blake, #1)
  • A Man Overboard
  • West of Western (Chicago Stories, #1)
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)
  • Superbia (Superbia #1)
  • Silver Justice
  • Two Graves: A Kesle City Homicide Novel
  • Blood Money
  • Dead Man's Eye
  • The Ambassador's Wife (Inspector Samuel Tay #1)
  • Virtual Strangers (Virtual Detective, #1)
  • Murder Corporation
  • Train Wreck
  • Only Human (The Targon Tales, #2)
Simon Royle was born in Manchester, England in 1963. He has been variously a yachtsman, advertising executive, and a senior management executive in software companies. A futurist and a technologist, he lives in Bangkok, with his wife and two children.
More about Simon Royle...

Bangkok Series (2 books)
  • Bangkok Wet (Bangkok Series #2)