Start by marking “Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind” as Want to Read:
Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind

Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  4,877 ratings  ·  150 reviews
This business classic deals with the problems of communicating to a skeptical, media-blitzed public.
Audio CD
Published May 10th 2004 by American Media International (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Positioning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Positioning

Milla Nezlina
The whole book can be boiled down to 2 key ideas:
- The brand that gets in the mind of the consumer first wins. Who makes the best soda? Coke! The best small cars? VW with its Beetle! The best round chips? Pringles! Tip: Find a narrow niche and hold it tight!
- Line extension is bad (Xerox producing computers in bad, Chevrolet making small cars is bad, even Pantene producing body foam is bad). Tip to companies: Never stray from the business where you are the leader!

I read the updated edition of
Eric Lin
I don't read books about marketing. Ever. It was pretty interesting though, since the trends he describes can definitely be observed in action.

However, Ries raised a lot of red flags with how certain he sounded about his assessments. He says things like, "a better name for product X? *name he just came up with*". Sometimes, he makes these statements without much supporting evidence. Anyway, it wasn't a huge part of the book, but he sounded so sure about everything, and that really off-putting fo
TarasProkopyuk
Эта как и другие книги Траута и Райса очень основательно проработана. Авторы молодцы и прописали в книге множество золотых правил и предупредили от всевозможных ошибок.

Хотя в некоторых моментах я лично не согласен и готов поспорить с авторами, но всё-таки в целом считаю эту книгу довольно хорошей.
JFN
In my job, there's some downtime. It's feast or famine writing. So our superiors have requested that in these periods of nothingness we delve into some reading with the goal of honing some sort of skills, i.e., professional development. Ok. Fine. Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind is one of the books on our list.

This is certainly not a book I would have ever picked up on my own, and I've yet to determine if it's made an impression on me. Hmmmmm. Well, yeah, I guess it has a little bit. Some p
Chris Herdt
Feb 03, 2008 Chris Herdt rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Prof. Mike Rechtiene
This book feels like it was composed via cell phone text messages. Many of the paragraphs are a single sentence.

The main idea is that you cannot make in-roads in an existing market by attacking the top dog. The top dog, the market leader, will beat you every time. Instead, the authors argue that you have to position your product/company/person in the mind of the consumer, in relation to the market leader. And forcing your idealized position on the mind of the consumer won't work, so your positio
Jeff Kinsey
Answer this: do more people have automotive batteries bought at JC Penney or Sears? You do know that the DieHard brand is from Sears, right?

This just made the "must read" book list for Main Street Startups. I bought it in May 1996. Studied it again at length in July 2010. And now again, December 2011.

Recently I did several presentations on the Four Ps of Marketing Mix and brought my attention back to this classic Ries & Trout text. The examples are simply engaging. If you are serious about y
Jenny
This is a good book in need of an update. I read it for a grad school class and while it was interesting in parts, it was very much undergraduate level (Marketing 101) information. The biggest issue I had with it is that every example is out of date. He mentions companies that have now closed down and talks about the great things that they are doing - for example, he talks about how Newsweek is a much better magazine name than Time and will surely be more successful because of it. Since we all k ...more
Shannon
I read this book to help enhance the growth of my start-up ladies leisurewear brand, Broads. While this book had me engage in a lot of critical thinking about typical product placement and where I would like to see my line in five, ten, and even twenty years from now, I felt as if Positioning was a bit dated and put too much of an emphasis on companies with bold names. I was hoping to learn more about creating a solid position in a marketplace that is difficult to 'break' into.
Randall
It turns your head around, forcing you to think outside-in. It's not about what your product is, it's about how they perceive it. It's not what you say, it's how they get it.
From positioning a candy bar, a bank, a country or the church, the book presents the basic principles for doing it.
Examples are insightful although because it's a classic, they are a little old. Nevertheless a great book.
Morgane
It's like an explanation of what the people in Mad Men actually do. Worthwhile read for anyone who has ever wondered why some ads/companies work, and others don't.
Vahid
شاهکاری که دیر ترجمه شد و البته خوب هم ترجمه نشد ولی هنوز هم یکی از کتاب‌های ماندگار مدیریت است
Ramy Khodeir
Trout try to share his own experiences on the practice of brand positioning
Michael
How to position your product or service in the mind of the customer.
Sky
Mind Buggling experience as I battle with this book :)
Robert Postill
This is probably the first pure marketing book I've read and I'm not sure about it. There's definitely a point to the book and you'll find it an interesting ride. The message in the book is laid out in small, easily digested chapters. The book's pace is quick and the authors give the impression that they know their stuff. There are a couple of nit-picky points though. Firstly the book has a relatively small base of organisations from which it draws its source material. That's not to say the samp ...more
Chung Chin
I agree with other reviewers who commented that the book is in a need of an update - urgently.

I also didn't particularly enjoy the book because of:
1. The style of writing.
The staccato-styled writing is very distracting for me. Of course, I understand that this is a personal grouch.
2. Repetition on the importance of being first and a very good name.
What happens to those that are not first to market? While there's a section that explains how to position as a follower, I feel that the book is E
Omar Halabieh
This is a classic in the marketing field. The authors define positioning as "a new approach to communication...But positioning is not what you do to a product. Positioning is what you do to the mind of the prospect. That is, you position the product in the mind of the prospect."

The book then goes on to present the concept of positioning, and the associated challenges and opportunities. What sets this book apart is the plethora of examples that are provided from a variety of industries (both serv
yusuf habibi
Al ries, beliau adalah penemu kata positioning dalam pemasaran. sebagai seorang praktisi pasar dan marketpreneur sejati buku ini cukup menarik untuk dibaca dan di amalkan :D. Apalagi sempat muncul pro dan kontra marketer saat buku ini terbit, buku ini memetakan cara berpikir yang freak dan cenderung aneh pada "saat itu", dan buku ini masih digunakan sampai saat ini, untuk landasan para new marketpreneur dan manager dalam memulai atau mempertahankan posisi pasar mereka.

positioning sendiri berarti
Puja
This book was a curriculum requirement in my Integrated Marketing Communications program at Emerson College; it was discussed and treated with utmost importance in each Advertising class I had. A marketing classic, 'Positioning: The Battle for your mind' helped me understand the concept of branding even better, and for that I am thankful to my professor Bill Anderson.

So, what is positioning ? In the minds of the consumers there are different needs. And for each need there exists a solution out
Matt Bodien
James
Positioning is an "old school" marketing classic. In the version I read, some of the examples seemed rather old, but the concepts covered in the book are still highly pertinent for today's marketers. There are lots of examples of positioning done well and just as many of positioning that went awry. One key point that was true even twenty years ago is that its a crowded marketplace, so it's very difficult for companies to get their messages out, even for corporations with lots of assets. The auth ...more
Amith Guthi
If you are building a brand or a business , the first thing that you need to think about is sales. Next comes marketing.

In marketing , Positioning plays a vital role.

After months of mistakes in marketing & having incurred losses , having never learnt the concept of marketing , Positioning - Al Ries has helped me realize the mistakes and how to improve on it.

But the examples in this are outdated. How can you talk about positioning and not talk about Apple ? Hence 4 STARs.
Andrei
Excellent read. I rarely give five star ratings but this book deserves it.
It's amazing to read about concepts that were developed or realized decades ago still apply today.
Quick and easy read. No fluff. Concepts are supported with concrete examples. Author also provides actionable steps to help a brand, organization and even individuals position themselves for success.
Reagan Ramsey
just found this to be too dated to work for me. it included some interesting concepts about how to position your brand in the marketplace, but I found it distracting that his examples of great positioning were Kodak and Xerox (which have not, in fact, stood the test of time).
i can see how it was profound in its time, but maybe time for an updated edition.
Carlos Zambrano
Es un muy buen libro, para quien desea introducirse al Marketing, tiene conceptos básicos de posicionamiento que a pesar de ser muy básico en Marketing quienes no nos hemos especializado en esta materia nos puede ser de gran ayuda, por lo menos a mi me cambio mi punto de vista de como mercadear un producto o una empresa.
Ninakix
Quick read. Classic, reminds me of many things written by business professors. There's an assuredness and simplification to it that bags, yet there are a few interesting ideas to consider, the larger idea of positioning seems true. Certainly the book is a bit dated as well.
Yumin
I read this book when I was freshman in business school. It was inspiring and left many food for thoughts. I think this book is still useful especially for someone interested in marketing commercial goods.
Murshidul
A brilliant book that entails many examples of position a product, country, service, and gives an overview of the effective ways to hit the TG's already existing perception without too much messing up.
Nick Arkesteyn
This book reveals the secret to what you do to the mind of your customer. Simply amazing. A must read for any marketer, teacher, coach, business person, etc.

Nick Arkesteyn
Chad
In this book, the authors point out many of the flaws in the way that businesses approach the marketing of their products and services. They highlight the need for businesses to start with how consumers see their products and services and build from there, rather than assuming consumers will see things the way the company sees them. The authors also point out the importance of being first-to-market and that companies that are attempting to enter a market with an established leader should try to ...more
Next Book To read Found INTERESTING ! 1 5 May 07, 2014 12:06AM
FULL Creative Lib...: Positioning 1 3 Mar 05, 2014 11:11AM
  • Differentiate or Die: Survival in Our Era of Killer Competition
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • Ogilvy on Advertising
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • Guerrilla Marketing: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Competing for the Future
  • Lovemarks
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
  • Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers
  • Why We Buy: The Science Of Shopping
Al Ries is a marketing professional and author. He is also the co-founder and chairman of the Atlanta-based consulting firm Ries & Ries with his partner and daughter, Laura Ries. Along with Jack Trout, Ries coined the term "positioning", as related to the field of marketing, and authored Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind, an industry standard on the subject.
Ries graduated from DePauw Unive
More about Al Ries...
The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand Marketing Warfare The Fall of Advertising and the Rise of PR The Origin of Brands: How Product Evolution Creates Endless Possibilities for New Brands

“The basic approach of positioning is not to create something new and different, but to manipulate what's already up there in the mind, to retie the connections that already exist.” 2 likes
“The mind, as a defense against the volume of today’s communications, screens and rejects much of the information offered it. In general, the mind accepts only that which matches prior knowledge or experience.” 0 likes