Start by marking “Even the Queen & Other Short Stories.” as Want to Read:
Even the Queen & Other Short Stories.

Even the Queen & Other Short Stories.

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  359 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
"Even the Queen": Virtually every new technology spawns Luddites who insist it's a bad thing. In this case, an entire cult is involved.
Winner, 1992 Nebula Award and 1993 Hugo Award, Best Short Story.

"At the Rialto": A look at a scientific conference held in Chaos Central, and an attempt to explain the link among quantum physics, mid-life romance, and the Frederick's of Hol
Audiobook
Published June 4th 2008 by Connie Willis & Diane Dieter (first published December 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Even the Queen & Other Short Stories., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Even the Queen & Other Short Stories.

Stephen
2.5 stars. Connie Willis is an excellent writer and her stories are original and well plotted. I think the reason that I do not rate them higher is that I am a big fan of "emotionally" powerful stories (a few examples of these would be "Hell is the Absense of God" by Ted Chiang, "Lost Boys" by Orson Scott Card and "The Star" by Arthur C. Clarke) and Willis' don't generally have that "startling" aspect to them that makes you think about them long after you are done reading them. Therefore, I thin ...more
Laura de Leon
Somewhat uneven, but overall I enjoyed these stories. All of them were funny and thought provoking.

"Even the Queen" was best the first time I read it, but I still enjoyed it this time through. Even when technology solves a major problem, someone is going to rebel. It'll probably be teenage girls, and it will all be their mother's fault.

"At the Rialto" is a chaotic look at a gathering of scientists interested in Quantum Physics. This one shows off Willis's madcap side. If you enjoyed Willis's Bel
Nancy
Dec 09, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Even the Queen" is absolutely brilliant. I was present in the hall when Connie Willis accepted the Hugo for this wonderful short story and her speech was classic. (I don't want to quote her because it might spoil the story for those who haven't read it.)

Her writing is effortless, realistic, exquisitely detailed without talking down to the reader, and just plain brilliant.

And to make it even better, she's a delightful and approachable author. It's a win-win for her fans!
Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann
Even the Queen: ****

At the Rialto: *****

Death on the Nile: *****

Close Encounter: ****

Why the World Didn't End Last Tuesday: ****

All and all, they were all enjoyable short stories. I listened to these stories as I did some house cleaning. There were a few times that I had to rewind it a little bit and pay closer attention to what was going on, but in general I could just let it roll.
Julieta M. Steyr
May 01, 2016 Julieta M. Steyr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy bueno. Bravo.
Eso sí, abstenerse mujeres sensibles y que no encuentran nada gracioso las bromas (y más ironías) sobre la femeneidad, qué es machismo encubierto y qué no, además de tener una típica discusión nuera-suegra.
Lo malo que le vi es que me quedé con ganas de más, por eso 4 estrellas. Es cortísimo, casi un suspiro, pero me arrancó un par de carcajadas por su forma de ver el mundo.
Natalie Thaddeus
Jul 20, 2015 Natalie Thaddeus rated it it was ok
I didn't finish it. The narrator was too grating and the second story was confusing. Maybe it was just me, but the author was making jokes that either weren't funny or again, didn't make any sense in the context. I returned the book.
Gary
Apr 27, 2016 Gary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stuff we need to think about
Debra
Anthologies are, by definition, a mixed bag. Some stories/poems are great, others not so much.

The title story Even the Queen is wonderful. Discussing feminism by using humor works.

The other stories, well, not bad but definitely a step down. Which is still a higher level than those written by mere mortals not named Connie Willis.

I usually avoid audiobooks read by the author because too many people just can't get the fine points down. Ms Willis is not bad, but not professional level either.
Joe
Sep 03, 2013 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As another reviewer as said, all anthologies have their high points and low points. For me, the high point of this collection was 'Death on the Nile'; the rest of the set was a low point. Perhaps if I were female I would relate better to a story such as 'Even the Queen' better if I were female, but I am not. 'At the Rialto' felt laboured, and the less said about the rest, the better - I think my point has been made already.
Cheryl
Most of the stories were okay, but I did enjoy one in particular about the planning committee for the apocalypse. You'll just have to check it out. Even the Queen, being the title piece, was of course quite clever.

I recommend actually reading these stories. The author is by no means a professional reader, so the performance has a lot to do with the two-star rating. If I had read these on paper, it might have been three.
allison
Jan 05, 2011 allison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to allison by: Mohammed Coovadia
Got a chance to read the short story "even the queen" today and loved it. The entire time I was wishing i could see it on stage. The dialogue was wondful and it was wonderful to see all the family dynamics play out. It's a great story!
Libby
Apr 20, 2010 Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Libby by: I love Connie Willis
The title of this book is just one of Connie Willis' short stories. It is hilarious and caused me to laugh so much my two cats left the room. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants a good laugh.
Kari
Oct 16, 2010 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even the Queen is a GREAT story!
Rebecca
Jul 18, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Great!
Neysa
Neysa added it
Jun 29, 2016
Charlie Laguna
Charlie Laguna marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
James Carey
James Carey marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Joyce Patire
Joyce Patire marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Jean-Francois Pirus
Jean-Francois Pirus rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Brittany Deal
Brittany Deal marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Cobagibu
Cobagibu marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Alma Maligmat
Alma Maligmat rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2016
Kristen Glass
Kristen Glass marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Miss J Tindle
Miss J Tindle marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Jackson Bell
Jackson Bell marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Kay Faupel
Kay Faupel marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Gustavo
Gustavo rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • The Unveiling
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
  • The Traveler
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • The Elephant Vanishes: Free Short Story
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
  • The Terminal Experiment
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
  • Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose
Constance Elaine Trimmer Willis is an American science fiction writer. She is one of the most honored science fiction writers of the 1980s and 1990s.

She has won, among other awards, ten Hugo Awards and six Nebula Awards. Willis most recently won a Hugo Award for All Seated on the Ground (August 2008). She was the 2011 recipient of the Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award from the Science Ficti
More about Connie Willis...

“There are some things worth giving up anything for, even your freedom, and getting rid of your period is definitely one of them.” 23 likes