Start by marking “Robin: Lady of Legend (The Classic Adventures of the Girl Who Became Robin Hood)” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  2,199 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
What if Robin Hood wasn't the man you thought him to be—what if he wasn't a man at all?

Robin of Locksley is young, headstrong, and about to receive the worst birthday present of her life. Still struggling to define herself in a society that believes women are fit for little more than governing a household and bearing children, she balks at her father's plans for her future
Published January 1st 2012 by Platypus Press

To ask other readers questions about Robin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robin

Erika
Mar 05, 2013 Erika rated it really liked it
Popcorn book. Clever re-telling of the Robin Hood story. But can you really read any Robin Hood story without still thinking of foxes, a bear, a rooster, a tiger?
Levina  C.
Nov 07, 2012 Levina C. rated it liked it
Hmm...there's something very amusing about watching a girl pretend to be a boy, isn't there? Although, I've never seen anyone attempt the inverse; heaven help a male who disgraces himself by wanting to be a girl, right? I mean, who would ever want to be female? What a silly thought.

I've recently come off reading another Robin Hood retelling - Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen - in which Will Scarlet is actually a girl, disguised as a boy, in love with Robin, and secretly the fiancé of (view spoiler)
Misfit
Feb 22, 2012 Misfit marked it as the-kindle-black-hole
Hmmm. Free on Kindle today.
Ginger *Protégée extraordinaire and Kool-Aid mixer*
I love retellings. It is like you get to re-read a story that you enjoyed, but it is new again. It just makes me happy.

So, what if Robin Hood was a woman?
It's got everything that makes a story enjoyable: sword fights, survival, friendships that span even the greatest divides, betrayal, a bitter sweet love story and a perfect HEA.

Robin could not go through an arranged marriage with the dreaded Sherrif of Nottingham. She 'borrows' her cousin's (Will Scarlet's) clothing and heads out on her own. I
Jodes
Jul 12, 2013 Jodes rated it liked it
I really do love re-tellings, from fairy tales to different twists on the story of King Arthur and Robin Hood and his or in this case her Merry Men. So when I realized that I'd had this little gem sat on my Kindle for months I decided to give it a bash. Luckily for me I liked it, it pulled my sorry ass out of a four month long reading slump gave me a kick up the arse to get my nose back in a book.

Robin: Lady of Legend is a retelling of Robin Hood where in this case Robin is an eighteen year old
Zoe and the Edge
Jun 17, 2013 Zoe and the Edge rated it really liked it
Robin is a confident and determined girl. She’s fierce and capable and doesn’t have much room for sentimentality. Her leadership is strong and her values are etched in stone. She wants to be known as as gallant highwayman not just any old robber so she exhibits plenty of charm to the people she steals from.
She has many fun successes and I really enjoyed seeing her flourish as Robin Hood of the Sherwood Forest.
I liked this alternate version of Robin and his Merry Men. Robin is very reluctant to
Lanie
So . . . . . this took me WAY longer to get through than i thought it would. :( and i waited EVER so patiently for it to come out in paperback so i could order it from amazon.com and it could joined ranks with my other 50 something Fictional Robin Hood books. (i'm only slightly obsessed. but i just can't help myself. there's just something wonderfully appealing a handsome outlaw stealing from corrupt rich and give his loot to the poor.) This one just didn't do it for me.

Not to say it was horribl
Sanette
Oct 02, 2012 Sanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robin Hood Fans, Fans of Adventure
Shelves: strong-females
When I started Robin: Lady of Legend I was skeptical but excited. I LOVE Robin Hood stories and I was excited to read a version with a female Robin Hood but this was the author's first book and I wasn't sure of this was going to be kind of a stepping stone for the author. But I was pleasantly surprised because this was a fantastic story, a little slow moving near the end but overall a very fun adventure.

Robin was a fun character to follow through her growth and adventures. The eldest of Lord Lo
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it it was amazing
I'm glad I came across this book a day or two ago because it's a delightfully clever and fresh twist on an old classic tale.

Take everything you know about Robin Hood and his Merry Men and turn it on its ear. What if Robin weren't a young man, but an 18 year old girl?

In order to maintain and strengthen his position in the land, Lord Robert Locksley arranges a marriage between his eldest daughter Robin Ann to one Phillip Darniel, the sheriff of Nottingham! Robin, who's always been headstrong and m
Hollie
A really sweet retelling of Robin Hood.

This was defiantly a unique spin on a classic fairytale. I loved that Robin Hood was a girl. I also enjoyed the fast moving plot and characters. It was a sweet young adult (easily PG rating) read. No profanity, sex, etc. A charming but fast paced read to be adored by readers of all ages. It was also offered as a kindleunlimited. This was the first time I have read any of this writers work but I will be checking out more in the future.
Duckie
Nov 30, 2012 Duckie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hoodwinkers
“Robin: Lady of Legend” is an entertaining, textually well-crafted novel unfortunately undermined by weaknesses in narration and other literary elements. To begin with, the narration spends most of the time in third-person limited but there are sudden, frequent shifts to third-person omniscient that bump the reader out of the flow, as in the following example:

“Ducking into an alleyway, Robin pulled out a dress from her waist sack and donned her woman’s disguise, too intent on her mission to regi
Selena Yukino (The Lioness: hear me roar)
This book started off well enough. It slowly started getting better, but then of course we got to some shit that started pissing me off.

Problem #1. Our main character Robin has some self conscious issues that were never cleared up or anything. Robin constantly compares herself to her 14 year old petite(short) sister and while Robin was comparing her "manly" height I felt like Robin was saying "fuck all tall girls, short petite girls are way more attractive." Which really pissed me off. I'm not s
Greg
May 31, 2013 Greg rated it it was amazing
What a thoroughly enjoyable re-imagining of the Robin Hood tale! I'm a lifelong fan of Robin Hood, and have enjoyed most incarnations, from children's versions, to Howard Pyle's venerable stories, to Errol Flynn in the movies. There is just something about the liner who flees to the woods, makes a life for himself (or in the present case, herself), and then becomes a social do-gooder. As a child, I can recall going out to the big field and woods behind our house and spending hours every summer i ...more
John Purvis
Jul 20, 2014 John Purvis rated it really liked it
“Robin: Lady of Legend” was written by R. M. ArceJaeger (http://rmarcejaeger.com/). This is Ms. ArceJaeger’s first book.

I was alerted to this eBook being available for free during a promotion by http://eBooksHabit.com. This is a fantasy for Young Adults, particularly for young women, with a strong young female character. I would rate this book ‘PG’ only because of some fighting that goes on. The story is told first person and is a retelling of the familiar tale of Robin Hood. Only in Ms. ArceJa
Robin
I found the dialogue was often painfully fake or modern feeling, some scenes were rather hokey, and the characters very one dimensional and unrealistic. For example, Robin's attempt to reason with her father that Phillip was not a good marriage match for her because he has a daughter about the same age as her was moot - in that day and age, such a union was commonplace and not even the bride would think it unusual. Even if Robin found the idea repugnant, she should have been smart enough to real ...more
Carolyn C
Oct 16, 2013 Carolyn C rated it liked it
Solid reinterpretation of a classic tale. It's not the fist time Robin Hood has been reimagined as a woman and all the pieces do fit together to make it a convincing adaptation.

It felt a little forced to make all those details fit; there weren't many moments when you, as the reader, could just be delightfully surprised at the clever, seamless meshing of familiar details and this new retelling. There were moments that were very well done, and they kept me reading- (view spoiler)
Kat
I don't know why i have been into some of these Robin Hood books, but i have been. Although i liked this one i think ScarletScarlet is my favorite out of the two. While this book was told as Robin being a girl and having to hide it, Scarlet was told as Will Scarlet being a girl. I liked the way this told. I thought all the characters were great and I loved how strong and kindhearted Robin was. I also loved how Robin was such a great leader. She lead a whole town and the whole town trusted and re ...more
Cheryl Carpinello
Jun 16, 2012 Cheryl Carpinello rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 13 and up
I had no clue what to expect from this book. The author was unknown to me. To be honest, I didn't even remember what the book was about. It sat in my to-read folder on my computer for months before the author contacted me to see how I was coming!

Now nearly finished, I have to say that I am impressed with the story telling and the unique twist put on the Legend of Robin Hood. The writing flows although sometimes I found myself skimming through the lengthly description. However, that is how I read
Gabs
This book is about a girl named Robin who ran away to avoid marrying the awful sheriff of Nottingham. She soon becomes the legendary Robin Hood. All right-- I was completely taken by this book. It was not some crappy retelling like some of the books I've read, it was a good twist on the original tale. I read the original book a couple of years ago, so while I was reading this, I could remember some of the scenes--but in this book the had the added element that Robin was secretly a girl. I was re ...more
Sheila
A fun re-telling of the Robin Hood legend, with the interesting twist that Robin is a ....GIRL! I read this aloud to my daughter, and we both enjoyed the story and the adventures of Robin, her sister Marian, her cousin Will, Little John, and all the other Merry Men (and women) who joined her band and lived in the greenwood of Sherwood Forest, stealing from the rich (but only the "bad" rich) and giving to the poor.

Of course, the story does have to end with a plot line left hanging, so I imagine
Rachel John
Jul 11, 2014 Rachel John rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the way the author played with the classic Robin Hood tale. In this version, Robin is actually Robin of Locksley, an 18-year-old girl who finds herself suddenly betrothed to the horrible Sheriff of Nottingham. She runs off disguised as a man, and the rest is history. The book held my attention throughout, but I thought that sometimes Robin got away with making really rash decisions with little consequence. 2.99 for Kindle or Free to borrow. Recommended.
Megan
Jun 09, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
I love the story of Robin Hood and his merry men but this book was just alright. I feel like the ending was kind of rushed and like Robin should have told her secret earlier in the book. The story wasn't so great that I stayed up all night reading it.
Lauren
Robin

This was an interesting portrayal of the overall story. I liked the characters and how inventive they were.

Note: I received this book free from Amazon.
Annie Chanse
Oct 17, 2016 Annie Chanse rated it it was amazing
This was a GREAT read.

I will be honest. I did not have much hope for it. It is one of those dirt cheap kindle books that no one has ever heard of which was, incidentally, written by an author no one has ever heard of, that you buy just BECAUSE they are free or dirt cheap, but go into it knowing that at best, it will be mildly entertaining and at worst, completely unreadable.

I buy those types of books all of the time, usually because they are listed as 'FREE!' in my BookBub daily email of free an
Dorri
Mar 21, 2017 Dorri rated it really liked it
Robin: Lady of Legend was not the book that I thought it was going to be. It was better. I've read many Robin Hood tales of varying ilk. R.M. ArceJaeger's version is by far one of the better ones. I was often thrilled, worried, and excited for Robin as she journeyed from young girl to man of legend.

Robin didn't set out to be a hero. All she wanted was a life that didn't involve the chains of marriage and fancy dress. So she did what any rational woman would do when presented with the trap of ma
Hailey Capps
Feb 23, 2017 Hailey Capps rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always said that I didn't have a favorite book, that I couldn't choose just one. Now that I'm rereading this book all the way through, I have realized that I was wrong. This is definitely my favorite book. I recommend it to literally anyone.
MyGoodBookshelf
(This review also appears on Amazon.co.uk)

*Full disclosure: the author sent me a copy of her novel in the hope that I would review it.*

Forget what else you may think you know about the legend of Robin Hood, because this book turns the myth completely on its head in a new and original way. In this instance, Robin is actually an eighteen year old girl- raised in a wealthy household, though not particularly ladylike given the times, and more concerned with slightly more tomboyish pursuits, includin
Anita
Mar 21, 2014 Anita rated it it was amazing
I love Robin Hood! Just the entire idea of this fairy tale makes me smile. Of course I've said this before in many of my past reviews. I've recently reviewed Scarlet, and Lady Thief which is another Robin Hood series that I've been reading lately. I'm pretty sure this book is a stand-alone though - so don't think I'm getting you wrapped up in another three-year long series! (yes, even I am relieved sometimes when a book is...just a book!) And though I always knew there were books depecting Robin ...more
Elen
Aug 09, 2013 Elen rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I am a huge fan of retellings so when I saw this book, where Robin Hood is actually a girl, I knew I had to read it. It was an interesting read that held my attention with a few plot twists that differed from the original story, while still keeping the traditional characters and story lines in the book. It did take me a while to read and I did have a few problems with it but, overall, I did enjoy it.

Cover

The cover isn’t amazing, but it shows what the story is about and it’s clear that it’s going
Denae Christine
Feb 24, 2013 Denae Christine rated it it was amazing
4.5

Reader thoughts: I love, love, love Robin Hood retellings. Most of the time. That said, I can get pretty picky.

This book was phenomenal. It definitely has strong ties in Howard Pyle's epically awesome The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood. It pulled some of the stories and conversations straight from that tale, and Robin: Lady of Legend was a better book because of it.

I had some misgivings that Robin was a girl. It wasn't that she could plan brilliantly or shoot so well, but that she was such a
  • Royal Rebel
  • Scarlette: A Gothic Fairy Tale
  • Charming: A Cinderella Prequel (The Dark Woods, #1)
  • Shadowland: A Tale From The Dark Ages
  • To Play the Lady (Sevalian Chronicles, #1)
  • The Locket Thief
  • Snow White and Rose Red: The Curse of the Huntsman
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Painted Blind
  • Seducing the Knight (The Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars, #2)
  • Drawn
  • Illumination (Curse of The Bond Riders, #3)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Bedding the Enemy (McJames, #3)
  • A Girl's Tale (Robyn Hood, #1)
  • City of Light (City of Mystery, #2)
  • The Clockwork Dragon
  • Fated
R.M. ArceJaeger is an a #1 Amazon Bestselling Author, a Publisher, and a Computer Scientist. In 2005, she was named a California Arts Scholar for excellence in Creative Writing, and her novel Robin: Lady of Legend won 2nd prize in Amazon's Breakthrough Novel Award contest. She has been writing books since she was five years old and enjoys making readers reimagine classic tales.

To help fellow autho
More about R.M. ArceJaeger...

“I often take ill-gotten gold
So folk won't starve or feel cold
But gold today was rightly won
When you named me your champion.

So learn this lesson well today
My warrant you will never pay
For like arrows, Robins fly free
None shall my master ever be”
3 likes