Start by marking “Brother's Keeper” as Want to Read:
Brother's Keeper

Brother's Keeper

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  41 reviews
A post-apocalyptic novella

Growing up, Jason and Marcus Grant were close as only brothers can be. As they reached adolescence, they started to drift apart, taking opposite paths into adulthood. Jason went to college before getting a job at for the local newspaper. Marcus chose a path littered wi...th drugs, violence, and self-destruction.

Now adults, Jason has cut Marcus fro
Published 2012 by Stray King Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Brother's Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brother's Keeper

Smile by Matt ShawButterfly Potion by Trent ZelaznyShifters by Jaime JohneseeThe Darkest Shade of Grey by Alan BaxterPRISON PLANET by Billie Sue Mosiman
Best Horror Novellas of 2012
34th out of 82 books — 181 voters
Dark Mountain by Robert   MichaelPrison Nation by Jenni MerrittLost in Infinity by Travis BeseckerThe Innocent Man by John GrishamThe Black Witch by Micheal Rivers
Books not to Miss
98th out of 127 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
This review also appears at Shelf Inflicted.

Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Growing up, Jason and Marcus Grant were close as only brothers can be. As they reached adolescence, they started to drift apart, taking opposite paths into adulthood. Jason went to college before getting a job at for the local newspaper. Marcus chose a path littered with drugs, violence, and self-destruction.

Now adults, Jason has cut Marcus from his life and considers himself an only child.

Clean and sober, Marcu
Lou
Some times the less you hear from family members the better. Imagine the notorious Bundies, Dahmers, Masons and Oswalds of this world the trail of fire and damage they leave behind for their families. This main protagonist of this story has a brother he would rather not hear off he has done bad in the past and is about to bring the unimaginable to fruition and make himself a mark in history. He receives knowledge, via an unexpected visit from his brothers ex-girlfriend, of his rebirth she speaks ...more
Jason
5 Stars

"And in the end, there is a beginning."

I am not a fan of novellas as I have said many times before, but as a perfect setup,it will whet your appetite, and a tease you with the direction that this series will be heading. I enjoyed Glen Krisch's full length novel The Nightmare Within, and have been looking forward to reading more of his works. This novella, a free Kindle download was a great way to read more of his, and as a result, I am now eagerly anticipating book 1 in this series.

This i
Jon Recluse
This tale of the blood bond between brothers, and where it leads them is a thrill ride that sinks it's hooks in and doesn't let go!
Krisch's writing is addictive, and I'm off to get another fix!
Martin Belcher
I got this free novella from Glen Krisch's newsletter and started reading it the same day and basically could not tear myself away from it, I almost finished it in one sitting which is almost unheard of for me. Brother's Keeper is a stand alone story but one which I gather Glen plans on using as a springboard for a full Brother's Keeper Novel and maybe a trilogy. It begins with two brothers, Marcus and Jason divided by crime and drug taking. Marcus is abandoned by his brother Jason and his famil ...more
Darcia Helle
I'm not normally a fan of apocalyptic-type fiction, but I loved this book. The story revolves around a cult/religious group and two estranged brothers. What truly creeped me out is how easily this fictitious plot could become reality.

The plot has all the things I love in a story - mystery, suspense, danger, and unexpected twists. But the characters are what pulled me in. They feel real, with both good qualities and faults. This, for me, is Glen Krisch's strength. In just a few pages, he makes m
Bethica
The start of the end of the world as a great manmade flood and the takeover of life as we know it by militia/religic type clans is alway the precursor to a great read!This novella released January 31st is just the beginning of a planned trillogy that appears to be an apocolyptic novel of sorts. This enterance into the story is energy driven and thought provoking and stops just in time to leave you wanting more from the next book. I can't wait for the series to start!
Katy
Jan 15, 2012 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of horror, psychological suspense, good writing
Recommended to Katy by: Glen Krisch
Shelves: ebook
This book is a difficult one to review, because there is no way I can summarize it without spoiling it - every line, every idea, is an integral part of the whole, and to try to snip out any little bit ... well, it just won't work. Suffice it to say that this is an end-of-the-world idea, going into the relationships between brothers all the way back to Cain and Abel, and involving a secret society that has existed for at least that long as well. It's fascinating and, to a certain degree, makes so ...more
Chris
I am a fan of Krisch's work, with Where Darkness Dwells being my favorite so far, and I can see that this novel is an appetizer to what may be a magnum opus (thinking something like The Stand or Swan Song). An evil organization has an ingenious plot for world devastation that is probably only the beginning of their malicious plan. Add to that the classic Cain and Abel dynamic (as the name implies) with the difference being that this particular Cain isn't interested in killing his brother---he wa ...more
Dawna
This is a short novella that packs a punch. Krisch is an amazing writer who weaves this story about a estranged family and a post-apocalyptic world coming together perfectly. The only problem is that it's too short! Thank goodness he is writing another full length follow-up book for this story. If you haven't discovered Glen Krisch give Brother's Keeper a shot, you won't be disappointed.
Adam Vanzant
I thought it would be another carbon copy of "the world is ending" but this is an excellent story. I'm almost sad that it's over.
Emily
More. Now. Please.
Krisch's novella is obviously the set-up for a full length novel about two brothers and the apocalypse. Jason is a mild-mannered newspaper writer; Marcus is one of the masterminds of the destruction. Lots of interesting conflict, there. I am fascinated by the mythology Krisch presents about the reasons for the event and how it was planned for many, many years. I am curious as to how the new civilization will emerge and organize. The quasi-religious nature of this group is effec
Aurora
Pretty good story with believable premise. Like usual, very good character development in a short span of time. Enjoyed reading.
Theresa
This story immediately hooked me. I won't give anything away but there were twists that kept me wanting more. I couldn't put my Kindle down until I finished. The only bad thing about this book is how short it is...I can't wait to read more. I would love to see this played out on TV, right before the Walking Dead.
M.L. Roos
What a joy to read something so well written, so well put together and with such a great plot. Two brothers on a path set towards apocalyptic destruction, one powerless to stop it and one determined to see it through.

This is the first story I have read, but it will not be the last. Awesome ride.
Amy
I think that it's a mercy that this was short. There were no surprises here -- just a madman bent on his cult destoying the world and the hope that someone would spin it properly for the future. The brother rivalry and references to Cain and Abel were not as interesting as I'd thought.
Georgie Lowery
Brother's Keeper is a great novella, offering us a bird's eye view of the beginning of the end of the world. It is well written, fast-paced and interesting and I can't wait to read what follows.
Underground Book Reviews
I thought I had found another piece of inspired fiction when I read the first few pages Brother’s Keeper. Keeper has a great premise and, initially, the plot moves with the required speed that makes short fiction so satisfying. I had high hopes for this one. Unfortunately, not far into the story it all fell apart.

A third of the book dwells on unnecessary, overdone backstory and character development. The plot completely grinds to a halt. Even if this was a full-length novel it would have been to
Kathy Maher
I did not realize this was a novella - ok didn't really understand what a novella was till i read some of the other reviews.

I'm not the best at writing reviews because I either like something or I don't - don't know why....it's just me.

This was a good story but it left me hanging. I did have a hard time putting it down. It's the bad thing that all of us think about Cults. I didn't like Delany (which is actually a good thing) because she was soooo brainwashed - and isn't that what we all think o
Anne
The more I think about this novella, the less I like it. While it is a short story intro to a longer tale about 2 brothers, the basic story is disturbing and unrealistic. I was unable to appreciate any part of this story and have no intention of picking up the book that is to follow.

I will, however, continue to read works by this author, who generally presents wonderfully written stories with wicked little twists that make me smile to myself as I visualize the story unfolding. I'm chalking this
Konstantinos
Got this as a free download and read it while waiting for a friend. It is a fast-paced, fun and well-written short story. Hopefully, it is just a teaser to a soon-to-come full length novel, because there is great potential to develop the story further and judging from his other work, Glen is more than capable to do so. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when it ended so soon, but I definitely do not regret reading it. I can't say I liked James much, but I am looking forward to reading more ...more
William Malmborg
A great short read, one that hooked me into the world that has been created. I really want to know what happens next, not just between the two brothers, but with the world itself. I will also be reading more by Mr. Krisch. He can tell a story. Also, though it may look like it took me two days to read this based on the reading dates displayed, it really was just one sitting since I added it the night before. That single sitting could have easily lasted all day if the story had continued.
Sharon
What lives in the minds of authors who write thrillers, scare me to death. How do they think of this stuff??

This was a good read but not my type of reading being as how it's a little far-fetched. It's a story about 2 brothers, Marcus and Jason, who don't get along and haven't even spoken in some time. They are reunited in weirdest and scariest circumstances and Jason learns that Marcus is someone that, even though he's his brother, is someone he doesn't know at all.

Ms. Nikki
I really didn't connect with any of the characters: Jason, the writer, mowing his parent's lawn. Delaney, the now do-able ex junkie who dated Marcus, Justin's brother, and Marcus, the rehabilitated and potential new apocalyptic "Adam" from the bible who wants to set the world free. I found this read to be overly simple and kind of boring as the pacing was very sedate. The ending is pretty much a cliffhanger or stay tuned scenario. Just an alright read.
Jeni
Really interesting - a short novella that just gives a peek into the plans the author has for his "post-apocalyptic" story line. Even in such a short piece, Krisch does an excellent job of giving his characters background and depth. The post-apocalyptic genre is not one of my primary areas of interest, but the author shows promise in this novella that the rest of his story will be well written and fascinating.
Naomi
Alright, I must say that I preferred the another book by this author over this one. I thought Loss was just a deep, dark, creepy novella...this one..not so much. I almost thought there was some predictablility to it. I will still continue to read more by this author cuz he can write some awesome short stories.
Charlene
This novella is a relatively short read. It is a preview to the full novel to come later this year.
This is the tale of estranged brothers reunited, insanity, and an orchestrated world wide attempt to end the world as we know it. How could you go wrong?
This novella convinced me that I need the full book. As soon as possible. In fact, right now would work for me!
Bandit
Really intense apocalyptic novella from one of the best new (to me) authors I have discovered this year. Strong interesting characters made a particularly compelling read. It read like a set up for a series, sort of like an extended prologue and as such it leaves the reader eagerly awaiting to see what happens next. Recommended.
Jo-Ann Murphy
This was not my kind of story. I did not like it from the beginning. Then when I thought it might be giving me something, it totally fell apart. I only found one slightly likable character and by the end, he didn't have any redeeming values either. For me, this story was a waste of time.
Liza
Dec 23, 2012 Liza rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, horror
It wasn't as great as The Nightmare Within, tho they are completely different books. I wouldn't want to start the world over from the beginning. We could probably stand to go back a ways, fix what is now broken, but to go back to "Adam and Eve", don't think so.
  • Dark Before Dawn
  • Listen to the Shadows
  • The End of Marking Time
  • On The Gathering Storm
  • Man of Wax (Man of Wax Trilogy, #1)
  • Anon (Anon Duology, #1)
  • The Perfect Plan
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • Dismember
  • Wrecker
  • Burden Kansas
  • The Devil and Preston Black (Murder Ballads and Whiskey)
  • Dark Corners
  • Teeth (The South Pacific Trilogy #1)
  • Scream
  • Facing the Son, A Novel of Africa
  • The Zona
  • Eerie
Glen Krisch's novels include The Nightmare Within, Where Darkness Dwells, Nothing Lasting, and Arkadium Rising (Brother's Keeper Book One). His short fiction has appeared in publications across three continents for the last decade.

Besides writing and reading, he enjoys spending time with his wife, romance author Sarah Krisch, his three boys, simple living, and ultra-running.

He enjoys talking to hi
More about Glen R. Krisch...
Where Darkness Dwells The Nightmare Within Loss Twice as Dark Commitment and Other Tales of Madness