Start by marking “Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea Serpent” as Want to Read:
Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea Serpent

Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea Serpent

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  600 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A shark accuses Cyrus of cowardice because he won't sink any ships. The kindly sea serpent almost succumbs to peer pressure, but learns at last to be himself.
Published April 26th 1982 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea Serpent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea Serpent

Ingo by Helen DunmoreForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerSirena by Donna Jo NapoliHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Sea Creatures
131st out of 431 books — 683 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussRebecca by Daphne du MaurierDavid Copperfield by Charles DickensAbsalom, Absalom! by William FaulknerEthan Frome and Other Short Fiction by Edith Wharton
You Can Find My Name In The Old Testament
136th out of 159 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Cecelia
I think there’s probably no one quite as wonderful at drawing ‘beasties’ as Bill Peet. The man was genius. I first fell in love with his drawings without even knowing who he was. How’s that? You know those little monster sidekicks in Disney’s Sleeping Beauty who get it wrong, and face the wrath of Maleficent? They’re all Bill Peet. I can still hear that one who ignorantly reports that they looked in “all the cradles.”

Yeah, he’s the same man who was a fully credited animator on the majority of fi
Ronyell
“Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea Serpent” is an adventurous book from Bill Peet about how a friendly sea serpent who at first wanted to wreck a ship to have fun, ends up trying to protect a ship full of passengers looking for a new land. “Cyrus the Unsinkable Sea Serpent” may be tough for smaller children to read but older children would most likely enjoy the adventurous scenes contained in this book.

Bill Peet’s writing is extremely inventive and exciting as he writes the story about a sea serpent tha
Lisa Vegan
Cyrus is another memorable and lovable character created by the brilliant writer and artist, Bill Peet. This is a fun adventure story and I loved the illustrations: Cyrus is a hoot and very endearing. The last line in the story is particularly funny. I think that this story will entertain children of all ages. After How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head, this might be my next favorite book by this author/illustrator.
Dolly
Mar 25, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've recently discovered Bill Peet's books and have been steadily borrowing them from our local library as we find them. We borrowed this book as part of a kit with a paperback book with ISBN 0395313899 / ISBN13 6450395313893 and an audiocassette with narration by Don Wesson.

We enjoyed this fantastic story, although it did seem to be a bit long. I liked listening to the book narrated on audiocassette and we really enjoyed the music and sound effects, but there seemed to be some rather long paus
Charity
I like this so much simply because it was given to me by a dear friend who found his love of the sea through reading it.

I also happen to really enjoy Bill Peet's work.
Mikecorban
One of my favorite Children book authors who was previously a Disney Artist.
Kimberly Souza
I love, love all of Bill Peet's books. They have wonderful messages and are filled with charming and fun illustrations. I want all of his books on my shelves. "Cyrus..." is in my top five of his stories.
Robin
While I like the sea serpent as a character, the lack of imagination and predictability of the story made this a clunker
Tyler
Jul 10, 2011 Tyler added it
Looking for a little excitement, Cyrus the sea serpent set off to wreck a ship. When an old man curses the ship Cyrus has targeted, however, the serpent’s sympathies shift to those on board. Instead of attacking them, Cyrus follows the ship and guides it through the hazards of the voyage, including a terrible storm and a pirate attack.

Though the illustrations are a bit superficial, with little to no activity going on in the background, the book is a fun read that combines monsters, pirates, adve
Meredith
Mar 10, 2009 Meredith rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool aged kids and up
Recommended to Meredith by: my husband
Another favorite from Bill Peet. My husband could recite this book from memory long before he could read. The illustrations are full of character, and the text has the usual Bill Pete quirky tone. I appreciate that his books teach lessons about being brave, kind, and making good choices without being annoyingly preachy or trying to hard to be politically correct.

His books are a little too long for young toddlers to sit through, but would be excellent reads for the pre-K crowd (and parents who ar
PWRL
May 15, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Kim Flewelling
A must read book with a wonderful message for children and adults as well!
Katharine
Adorable sea serpent, fun story about a kind sea serpent who is peer-pressured by a shark to doom a ship. When he's about to do it, an old man on the pier "curses" the ship - telling the captain that the ship will go down, by storm, or pirates, or the doldrums (lack of wind). Cyrus decides to prove the old man wrong and accompanies the ship on its journey (from Europe to the New World) to protect it. And he does.
Lolly (Claudia)
Bill Peet is my favorite children's author. All of his books have a lesson and moral and can lead into some excellent discussions. The vocabulary is good for young readers and the illustrations are colorful and fun. I would recommend all of his books for family libraries, as well as reading in elementary classes.
Meredith
After seeing Cyrus in giant Lego form, I was told that it was shocking/appalling/indecent/just plain crazy that I had never read this book before. So I read it! Fun, exciting story, great pictures. I only wish I had known about it before I saw the giant sea serpent in Florida!
Elizabeth A
My 8 year old nephew, Jonah, is really into Bill Peet at the moment. The kid stocks up every day on more books to read. So love that. He was over for a play date and brought three for us to read. These short stories are quite fun, and I do love the illustrations.
Rocheal Hoffman
Cyrus is the sweetest ever. This author is definitely a keeper. Kids will enjoy the story as well as higher order thinking questions such as making a different ending, writing poems about the book, and inferring why things happened the way they did-- such as war.
Jenny
I loved that this book shows how you can make your own choices and affect others for good. I thought it taught a good lesson. At first he lets someone pressure him into a course of mean choices but changes his mind and uses his talents for good.
Ethan Kalsbeek
Bill Peet books are classic. His artistry, all illustrations hand drawn and crayon colored, is amazing. His stories are entertaining and child friendly. He does a great job in this book keeping the reader at the edge of his seat. Phenomenal!
Jeanelle
This was my favorite book as a kid. I swear, I must've read it at least twenty times back then. Such a cute little story. I'll have to hunt down a copy for my children someday. Hopefully they'll like Cyrus as much as I did.
Anne Nydam
When I was in third grade, I wrote a letter to the author telling him this was my favorite book. He responded with a very nice hand-written note and some autographed sketches. Now my children love this book, too.
Miriam
Funny story, positive messages, cute illustrations -- pretty much an all-around winner.
Peet was quite prolific and many of his books were in print when I was little, so I'm surprised I didn't read him as a child.
Cody
My very favorite book as a child. I recently gave this to my two year old pal, Layth, who has since become so obsessed with the book that he now confuses me with Cyrus, and vice versa.
Magila
By far the best Peet book I've seen so far. It had a fun story, great illustrations, and palpable point. It talks to adventure, determination, and commitment.

Recommend.
Jamie
This book still makes me cry. It is the most wonderful story about how to not judge someone by their looks and how friends can show up in the most unusual ways.
Charity
This is a great book to read to the kids. We love to watch Cyrus try to be bad... well almost. Bill Peet did a fantastic job in getting your attention.
Sandy
Cyrus is a gentle sea monster who only wants to help, and he gets that opportunity. I'm a Bill Peet fan. Love the expressions and humor in his illustrations.
Emily
Too many children's books make their mythical creatures cute and cuddly and weak. Bill Peet makes his nice without being lame.
  • A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury: Three Stories
  • Just Plain Fancy
  • How My Parents Learned to Eat
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • Come On, Rain!
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Whingdingdilly The Caboose Who Got Loose