Start by marking “Doctor Who: Forever Autumn (Unabridged)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Forever Autumn (Unabridged)

Doctor Who: Forever Autumn (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #16)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,054 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Will Thorp reads this spine-chilling story of monsters, mystery and a magical spellbook. It is almost Halloween in the sleepy New England town of Blackwood Falls. Paper skeletons hang in windows and carved pumpkins leer from porches. The Doctor and Martha soon discover that this will be no ordinary Halloween. What is the secret of the ancient tree and the book discovered t ...more
Audiobook
Published May 4th 2008 by BBC Audiobooks Ltd. (first published November 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Alejandro
A fair entertained reading to do in Halloween season

WHO

The Doctor:

The Tenth Doctor

Companion:

Dr. Martha Jones

WHERE & WHEN

New England, America. Blackwood Falls. 2008.

WHAT

The Tenth Doctor and Martha arrive to a town named "Blackwood Falls" in 2008 following a strange energy signal. Soon enough, they are right in the middle of the dream (or nightmare?) to any Halloween's town celebration, with mysterious green mist around everything, possessed animals and objects, bizarre attacks with even m
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
Thinking about the Doctor gave Martha a renewed tingle not simply of excitement but of sheer, unadulterated joy. It gave her a sense, not for the first time, of how incredibly privileged she was to be traveling with him-of how, in fact, regardless of the sleepless nights and the frequent terror and the almost incessant bumps and bruises, she was the luckiest girl alive.

I won't lie, I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this book. While I like Martha, she isn't one of my favorite companions, and wh
Jean
A fun, quick, and quirky, read for Halloween, one of the best, in my opinion, of the new series novels (and the best offering Mark Morris has contributed to the brand period), I read this one every year. Blending the atmosphere of movies like John Carpenter's The Fog with the whimsy of Monster Squad and, well, Doctor Who, the product is something you might see as an original Disney Channel movie--with a great deal more menace. Martha and the Doctor are spot-on, and their interactions often make ...more
Margaret
Having lost contact with the world of Doctor Who, I have been familiarizing myself with the later Doctors via both dvds and books. I have to admit the Tenth Doctor is probably my favourite, and "Forever Autumn" is my favourite Doctor Who novel so far.

Set in a small New England town at Halloween, the Doctor and Martha have to battle aliens who have been stranded there, and need fear, pain, and horror to refuel their ship.

I have never read a book that had me swinging from curl-up-in-a-ball-and-wh
Ruth
It’s the day before Halloween in the small New England town of Blackwood Falls. Every home is decorated with jack-o-lanterns, ghosts and goblins; the children are choosing their costumes from Tozier’s Costume Emporium, and the adults are making the final preparations for the town’s annual Halloween Carnival. But Halloween in Blackwood Falls will be anything but ordinary this year…

Rick Pirelli and his best friends Thad and Scott love Halloween. Before they head off to pick up their costumes, they
Brittany
I was hoping that this book would be better than the last Doctor Who novel I read which was only okay. But it wasn't. This book dragged on and on and after a while I didn't really want to read it anymore because I became so bored with it. Even though the Doctor's in it there isn't really that much of him which is a shame 'cause he seems to be the best part about the book in my opinion. He has some witty moments here and there but at the end they make him really serious and not very enjoyable to ...more
Caroline
Reads like YA Stephen King, if he were British and bafflingly unfamiliar with American lexicon. And if he suffered from some ailment that resulted in sudden trouble with typical thriller plot structures. And if he were really phoning it in.

I probably shouldn't say all that, since I haven't read anything King has written since the mid-90s. I read IT in the sixth grade, terrified for the entire month it took me to finish the book. I later watched the movie--very likely more than once--through the
Lindsey
Another great Doctor Who book that has been written in a way where I could see this has an episode and the characters of Martha and the 10th doctor acting this all out in an adventure.

For this one the Doctor was my favorite because he is the doctor, no because he was great in this. From start to finish. As for Martha I found myself having mixed feelings on her (just like on the show).

However the author has written a great book that was perfect to read near Halloween, it had a few moments that
Mark
This was a decent Doctor Who installment. I found it fell along the same category as a previous novel. Green glowing lights from underground that take people over and make them evil... I love the Doctor and all his adventures, but I'm ready for something new.
Terry
This was alright. It was a bit odd in the way the kids spoke. They spoke and made references to things that children typically would be unaware of. I find that adults don't write children very well. It feels forced with the children who take up a vast majority of page time. They feel more like an impression of children than actual children because, honestly, many adults just don't know how to write children's voices. And I think that this would have helped the book if they weren't the focus.

The
Callie Rose Tyler
The Doctor comes to America, and it kind of sucks. In this book Martha and Ten find themselves in a vague New England town on the day before Halloween. The plot was so-so but the writing left something to be desired. This author had no idea how to write believable American conversations, especially when it came to the children. Nothing about the setting or characters said America with the exception of one line that describes the ‘bland American rock that is named after a city like ‘Chicago’ or ‘ ...more
Jim
The Doctor and Martha materialize on Earth (What a surprise in the Russell Davies era!), in Blackwood Falls, USA, on the day before Halloween. Three local boys have dug up a strange book at the base of what looks like a strange dead tree (Is it really a tree; for that matter, is it a book, or are they actually examples of ancient alien technology?!) So begin the strange events that could end in the destruction of the town and the hideous death of its inhabitants. (Good thing the Doctor showed up ...more
Nate Rawdon
Forever Autumn was a surprisingly captivating read from the very start. Unlike many of the other Doctor Who novels that I have read, this particular story's plot enthralls you, and is truly one that would make a fantastic edition to the constantly growing list of produced episodes. The side characters included in Doctor Who novels are occasionally the let down, though all of those in Forever Autumn were interesting and believable. The enemy and its impact on the plot were a standout. With the vi ...more
Nathaniel ΘΣ
Jul 08, 2011 Nathaniel ΘΣ rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Doctor Who fans
Melyssa
Certes, la couverture est explicite, mais là, c'est vraiment Halloweenesque à l'extrême. Donc si vous l'avez sous le coude aujourd'hui, attendez octobre prochain avant de le ressortir.

Et on y passe tous les classiques, la sorcière et ses chats maléfiques, et le livre magique, et l'épouvantail à tête de citrouille, et le clown-qui-fait -peur (ben quoi, c'est flippant les clowns. Surtout celui-là ).

Mais même en juillet, l'un des intérêts du roman reste qu'on s'y marre beaucoup, pas tant à cause d
Shelley
Oct 14, 2007 Shelley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Biz
Shelves: whoniverse, sci-fi
Excellent creepy read for the month of October! I really did enjoy it.

That said. LOL First off, I can't get a handle on the writer - the book is so loaded down with British slang (far more than ever used on the show, especially by the Doctor) that it almost seems like an American desperately throwing in everything he's ever heard. But then the American slang (it's set in New England) is cringe worthy and false. Utterly annoying, the both of them.

Then, has this writer seen the Tenth Doctor very
Carrie
I told a friend of mine I was reading this and he asked me if it was good, or just upgraded fanfiction. The answer? I wouldn't call it upgraded. I have read better fanfiction (though not for Dr. Who)than this. That's not to say the book was BAD, exactly, but compared to the show it is based off of, it falls flat. I sympathize with the author. Both Chris Eccleston and David Tennant play the Doctor with an almost feverish pitch - to capture that on paper would better writers than this. The real pr ...more
Eden Mabee
Though in general these media tie-in novels are meant for a younger audience, I hadn't actually felt like I was being talked down to in any other Doctor Who novel until I read Forever Autumn. The first few chapters were grueling, marked by writing that would have been ashamed to have shown itself among the likes of a Three Investigators series book or a newer Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys spinoff.

If it hadn't said Doctor Who on the cover, I'd have suspected this was a pilot screen playturned into a stor
Seth Brady
Having grown up in New England and now being back as an adult, there's something very magical about Halloween here, especially set against the backdrop of a small town. The perfect setting for a Doctor Who adventure, in which a group of Jack Skellington-like monsters threaten to -- what else? -- destroy the entire town and only the Doctor, Martha, and a few newfound friends have any hope of saving the day.
Shaun Collins
Hurray! I finally get to chime in on a book for the book club! Full time work and school is putting such a dampener on my social life!

I remember being suitably impressed with this one when we reviewed it for the podcast last year. Its a fun read, a relatively quick read, and combines the best elements of scary Who to make it the perfect Halloween offering. Enjoy everyone!
Jas'
I came to this book with high expectations, Mark Morris wrote "The Ghosts of India" which was a great Doctor Who novel. It started well I thought, with a good build up to the attack the Hervoken were preparing to. But unfortunatley most of this book is used in very lengthy description of the numerous attacks the Hervoken do. And it's just characters are attacked by Hervoken, characters escape without a scar. Then there's the big Halloween fair where the Hervoken attack, but the book only has 20 ...more
Jo Bennie
In the New England small town of Blackwood Falls the Doctor and Martha emerge out of an eerie mist, a strange book has been dug up from among the roots of an creepy black skeletal tree and a slumbering menace has awakened. Think Sleepy Hollow with aliens: the Hervokan. They are an ancient race whose science of gestures, psychic connection, ability to bring to life inanimate objects and take over minds looks to human eyes like black magic. With their giantlike spindly figures and jack o lantern s ...more
Bruce
Somewhere in New England there’s a very old and strange tree, the tree that gave the town of Blackwood Falls its name. When three boys dig up an old and musty book near the base of the tree it begins a Halloween like none the town has ever experienced, or would ever want to experience. What better time and place for a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey and his companion to visit? When the eyes of all the cats take on a strange glow and even the rubber Halloween decorations take on a life of the ...more
Roger
I LOVE Doctor Who. Totally. Have loved Doctor Who since we watched it through static on a crappy Philco television via antenna. The reason I only gave this book two stars is that it was a little too juvenile. I realize I would not have my beloved TARDIS if it weren't for this show being geared toward scaring children in London, but this book was not listed as Juvenile Fiction and was, in fact on the shelf with the same Urban Fantasy books I do enjoy. If I had gone into this book knowing it was a ...more
Sara
Not as good as some of the other Doctor books, though the basic premise was entertaining. My biggest complaint was that the writer either a.) did not bother to do basic research on American slang (not hard to do, y'know!) or b.) decided to 'dumb it down' for British kids who might not know that we call torches 'flashlights' or a car's boot a 'trunk.' Either way, I find it to be inexcusably lazy. Other than that, however, there's a nice chance for Martha to show her stuff as a Doctor-worthy compa ...more
Nick Lawton
There were a few moments in which the writing didn't stay authentic to the way Americans spoke and there were also several moments in which I believe the 10th Doctor was portrayed out of his character. Those moments, unfortunately, took me out of the story a bit.

But then I always got right back in it. This was still an entertaining page-turner and I think it would entertain any Whovian.

It still possesses within it's pages the tales of monsters and the same base-under-siege climax we've all come
Soneaselene
there was nothing special about this book. it was a quick read and mildly entertaining, but mostly boring and predictable. on to of that the writing was problematic at times.
Demelza
A very nice installment! I've read one other Doctor Who title by Mark Morris and also enjoyed it quite a bit, hopefully he'll write more. His American colloquialisms were hilariously inaccurate, but otherwise it was great fun!
Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews
I listened to this as an audiobook.

Forever Autumn, as can be seen by the cover, is a Halloween story. I did wish I had kept it to Halloween, but I'm going through the books in publication order, and this was next.
The story itself reflects the mood of Halloween very well. There are cats, bats, a weird tree, fog, all the things that make Halloween a fun time. At times, it was genuinely frightening as well.

Will Thorpe reads the story, who played Toby Zed in "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit".
Angela
The Doctor and Martha land in an American town that's celebrating Halloween. There's a Halloween themed alien wanting to take over. There's some really good imagery here, and is slightly scarier than normal NSAs. Its a quick read, and the plot is constantly moving. A good read.
Doctor Who Book C...: Forever Autumn by Mark Morris 7 11 Oct 23, 2014 03:34PM
Doctor Who Book Club: **ALT PICK DISCUSSION** --Spoilers 1 3 Oct 01, 2012 12:03AM
  • Doctor Who: Wetworld
  • Doctor Who: Wishing Well
  • Doctor Who: Wooden Heart
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop
  • Doctor Who: Peacemaker
  • Doctor Who: Sick Building
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • Doctor Who: Martha in the Mirror (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: The Last Dodo
  • Doctor Who: Sting of the Zygons
  • Doctor Who: The Price of Paradise
  • Doctor Who: The Many Hands
  • The Doctor Trap (Doctor Who (Doctor Who)
  • Doctor Who: The Story of Martha
  • Doctor Who: The Eyeless
  • Doctor Who: Autonomy
  • Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426
  • Doctor Who: The Krillitane Storm
Mark Morris became a full-time writer in 1988 on the Enterprise Allowance Scheme, and a year later saw the release of his first novel, Toady. He has since published a further sixteen novels, among which are Stitch, The Immaculate, The Secret of Anatomy, Fiddleback, The Deluge and four books in the popular Doctor Who range.

His short stories, novellas, articles and reviews have appeared in a wide va
More about Mark Morris...
Doctor Who: Ghosts of India Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11) Dead Island Doctor Who: The Bodysnatchers The Deluge

“The Doctor shook his head. ‘This is strictly a solo mission. I need you lot to look after Martha, make sure she goes easy on the cappuccinos. She has a tendency to run around naked when she’s got too much caffeine inside her.’
The boys all looked at Martha expectantly. She rolled her eyes. ‘He is, of course, joking.”
0 likes
“It’s all right,’ the Doctor said, ‘you don’t have to pretend to look surprised to see me. You knew I was coming, and I know that you knew I was coming. I wouldn’t have got this far if you lot hadn’t wanted me to. Which is an encouraging sign. It indicates that you’re willing to talk, or at least that you’re naturally curious about me, which is almost as good. Unless you just want to kill me, of course – which isn’t so good. Well, not for me anyway. But I’m willing to take that risk. I mean you’re an intelligent bunch. You wouldn’t just bump someone off for the hell of it. Er. . . would you?” 0 likes