Start by marking “How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head” as Want to Read:
How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head

How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head

Published March 23rd 1983 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head

The Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgAnimalia by Graeme BaseThe Mitten by Jan BrettStellaluna by Janell CannonThe Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base
Children's Picture Books With Beautiful illustrations
215th out of 1,149 books — 1,089 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
349th out of 1,028 books — 1,994 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucy
Dec 07, 2013 Lucy rated it it was amazing
How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head, by Bill Peet is an adorable heartwarming fantasy book that you just have to read! This book is amazing! I don't know how the author came up with all this! I wonder how it can be so sad, and so exciting all at the same time. The main characters are Droofus, the little boy and the little boy's father, and the king and knights. There are three problems: first, Droofus is lonely. Second, the little boy's family is poor. Third, the king wants Droofus's head on ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jan 11, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vegan & vegetarian children; ages 3 or 4 through 8; animal lovers
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
A big thank you to Goodreads friend Chandra for recommending this book to me! I can’t believe it’s been around for decades but I never knew about it.

It’s a very funny and sweet (but not overly sweet) story about a vegetarian (vegan actually) dragon.

I love how Droofus’s decision to eat grass and not animals ends up saving his own life, then helps him find a more fulfilling life. I also love how Droofus then helps the boy who helped him.

There’s some suspense throughout the story and there’s a ver
Rachel
Mar 16, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I loved this! Wonderful text and illustrations. Droofus is such a sweetheart. I feel so bad for him and his battered wings! Awww. But he has such a good attitude. He gets kicked down, allows himself time to heal, gets up, brushes himself off, and goes about making himself useful. He cares about others and makes friends wherever he goes, but he's not a pushover either. DROOFUS IS AWESOME. He is my new hero!
Ronyell
“How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head” is another classic book from the creative mind of Bill Peet and is about a friendly dragon named Droofus who ends up being the friendliest dragon ever. “How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head” may be a bit tedious for some children who want action, but it is still an instant classic for many children to read.

Bill Peet’s story about a friendly dragon is a great tale for many children who love reading about dragons and mythical creatures. The scene in this book
Kathryn
Jan 22, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
What a delight! I so enjoyed meeting Droofus, a sweet and helpful (vegetarian!) dragon with a bounty on his head; in the end, he looses his head, but not in the way you might expect! This is a story of kindness, friendship and being true to yourself. I'll not go into details since my GoodReads friends Chandra and Lisa have already written such fabulous reviews. Thanks, Chandra, for bringing this to my attention! :-)
Noah Sebastian
Oct 13, 2009 Noah Sebastian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all the kindergartners out there
Recommended to Noah by: influenced by our friends Tim, Leslie and Riley
Read. About a hundred times. I'm a Bill Peet groupie. Mom read it to me over and over and over again when I was four, now I carry it around and read it over and over again myself. Frankly anything by Bill Peet fits this description. Droofus is a nice role model for a kid who is surrounded by light saber wielding, fake gun toting friends. Recommended to moms who want to give a good kid level example of empathy to their kids. Kids who love adventure via animals / dragons.
Robert
May 17, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The incomparable Bill Peet and his colored pencil artwork makes this tale of a wayward dragon who finds his place in the world a delight.
Devi Henn
This book was a feel-good story about a dragon, who isn't mean and scary, but rather kind and caring. He ends up being taken in by a farm boy and his family. They let him stay with them and the dragon helps out on the farm. When the king comes along, wanting the dragons head, the little boy refuses. The king agrees not to take the dragon's head, but use him for special occasions. The dragon brings joy to the townspeople and gets to keep his head.
After reading the book students could partake in
Becky B
Droofus the dragon gets separated from his family at a young age, realizes he prefers to be a vegetarian, and goes flying to fight off boredom. The local king sees him during a flight and decides that that dragon's head needs to be on his wall. Though all the knights can't seem to find the dragon, a young shephard boy does when his lamb goes missing and is found sleeping next to the dragon. The boy decides not to turn the dragon in since he is a nice dragon. Days later, Droofus gets caught in a ...more
Dolly
Jan 08, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2012
This was a sweet, but somewhat silly tale about a dragon who gets separated from the rest of his group and ends up a vegetarian who lives with a family of farmers. The story is enchanting and has plenty of excitement throughout. With the dreadful-sounding title, we waited anxiously to find out how the poor dragon lost his head. But, as expected, the story has a happy ending. The illustrations are terrific and our girls mentioned that Droofus looks very similar to a dragon named Stormfly from How ...more
Scott Pagel
Oct 18, 2013 Scott Pagel rated it really liked it
Anyone who has ever felt misunderstood will sympathize with Droofus, a dragon who was separated from his family while flying in a bad storm. As he comes to grips with his new life, an act of kindness towards an innocent creature sets his life on a new path. Adults and children will love this touching tale that delivers a glimpse at what joy might fill the world if kindness and understanding become habits in our lives. Peet’s drawings enhance the story by capturing the emotions of the characters ...more
Emily
Jan 28, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Bill Peet is, and has been for a long time, my favorite author of children's books. If mom gets one of his books at the library for Sharon, I still go and read them again.
His stories are simple but unique, and his illustrations are cute. This book is one of my favorite Bill Peet books, and is therefore definately one of my favorite children's books, right up there next to If You Give A Moose A Muffin, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, and very close to the Narnia books (which I consider a LITTLE bit
Carolyn
Mar 24, 2016 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
This is one of Peets best books. YOU fall in love with the kind dragon Droofus who gets seperated from his parents in a storm. He is adopted by a farm family. How he "looses his head" is a fantastic punch line ending! A very charming story worth reading over and over again. The theme of being kind and protecting a friend is beautifully woven into the story. A definite 5 stars. Makes a great Christmas present.
Roseanne Wilkins
May 20, 2011 Roseanne Wilkins rated it it was amazing
Bill Peet is another author I love. I have most of his books in my home. The reason I chose to add this to my Goodreads list is that it was the very first Bill Peet book I ever read. I was 7 at the time. Not all 7 year olds can read this book alone, but it has delightful illustrations and a fun story. I usually read Bill Peet to 5 - 9 year olds. It's too long to keep the attention of preschoolers, but I would recommend Bill Peet books to anyone building a home library.
Nicole Fellows
Jun 17, 2008 Nicole Fellows rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great book! Great story! It was fun to read about all of the things that Droofus went through. Every time it seemed like the story was finished, something else happened! I think that kids would absolutely love it. It's got dragons, knights, and a happy ending. You couldn't ask for more in a children's book! I also loved the artwork and the expressions on Droofus' face throughout the story. You could really see his emotions which made the story that much better.
Samantha Lazar
CIP:Droofus the kindly dragon has a price on his head, but the small boy who befriends him refuses to sell him to the king. [close] Droofus the kindly dragon has a price on his head, but the small boy who befriends him refuses to sell him to the king.

This is a cute book. The dragon is very likeable and not scary at all.
Mark Baker
Dec 04, 2013 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, picture-book
This picture book follows a nice dragon as he gets separated from his family and eventually finds a great life for himself. It's a bit slow, at least for adults, but kids should still really enjoy it.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
The Brothers
Asher (4 years old) and Dex (2 years old) both loved this story. It's rather long, so it gets a bit tedious to read it aloud several times a day. A vegetarian dragon befriends a farming family and realizes his usefulness. A king wants his head to hang on the Great Hall wall, but the farming family and the king strike up a compromise.

Nice illustrations.
Ben Eldridge
Jun 13, 2007 Ben Eldridge rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Simply the best.
Bill Peet.
Timeless stories and fantastic colour pencil drawings. How can you go wrong?
I love all his books but this is a really good one.
My first experience of reading aloud to a large group of children was made a lot easier because I chose this book.
They were especially transfixed and that's the true test of any kids book really, isn't it?
Anne Nydam
Mar 02, 2011 Anne Nydam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
All the fun of dragons and knights with none of the stress and violence usually associated with them, and a happy ending everyone should enjoy. I have a review of this book in a blog post here: Fantasy Picture Books of Note.
Jenna
Jan 25, 2011 Jenna rated it really liked it
I love Bill Peet so much! Great book and even great author makes for a great children's book The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it's not the most fluent book I've read of Peet's. It skips around a little bit, but other than that its everything you'd expect from Peet.
Matthew
This was a nice story, certainly better than a story with a violent end. It was mild and happy and everyone, including the king who I was expecting to be lousy with greed, was reasonable and wise enough not to kill the dragon who obviously meant them no harm. I really was satisfied with the ending.
Adrienne
May 06, 2010 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bill Peet books. They are a little too long for our 2-year old but getting to be just right for our 4-year old. But the books are so creative and so much fun and they always teach something useful. DEFINITELY read these with your children.
Joyce
Jul 07, 2012 Joyce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
I read this book aloud to the girls many times--Peet is so good at having you empathize with the main character, who's usually an underdog of some sort, and manages to resolve the problem with a creative solution, not resorting to violence.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Feb 08, 2011 Charlotte Osborn-bensaada rated it really liked it
Vegetarian dragon that helps the poor. The story is cute, but I have to say I saw strains of PETA in it. That said for my loves dinosaurs because they eat things 4 year old this was a surprisingly engaging story.
Hope
May 29, 2016 Hope rated it it was amazing
I loved reading all of Bill Peet's books when I was little, and they have withstood the test of time. They are still very enjoyable, and very cute. I loved having the chance to re-visit this book after such a long time.
Renae
Apr 30, 2014 Renae rated it it was amazing
We just love Bill Peet's picture books! He has such fun illustrations and interesting twists at the end.
Kasandra
Jun 02, 2013 Kasandra rated it really liked it
Fantastic colored-pencil illustrations, a charming and clever story, and just enough danger and suspense to delight without being too scary. Very fun.
Tam
Jul 21, 2014 Tam rated it really liked it
I thought this book might be too "wordy" for my 4-year-old, but I was wrong. He was just as interested in this story as my 8-year-old was.

Bonnie Pohlig
Sep 19, 2010 Bonnie Pohlig rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful! An obviously well written book, and lovely pictures too. I think little boys would particularly like this one.
  • The Knight and the Dragon
  • The Mysterious Tadpole
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • Miss Suzy (Miss Suzy, #1)
  • Fanny (Serendipity)
  • Imagine a Night
  • The Amazing Bone
  • The Legend of the Golden Snail
  • Morris' Disappearing Bag
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft