Start by marking “The Whingdingdilly” as Want to Read:
The Whingdingdilly

The Whingdingdilly

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  732 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Scamp learns to be content with his dog's life when Zildy the kooky witch turns him into a whing-dingdilly.
Published April 26th 1982 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Whingdingdilly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whingdingdilly

Bonnie
Jul 15, 2009 Bonnie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read aloud to children, especially stories about animals
4 stars

Note: Bill Peet, author and illustrator, died at the age of 87 in 2002. All of his 34 books, including the first, published in 1959, are still in print today. In his career as an author and illustrator of children’s books, Peet created a menagerie of unforgettable characters. He had this to say about them: “I write about animals because I love to draw them. Most of my animal characters have human personalities, and some are much like the people I know.” Children from ages 4 – 8 love to l
Lisa Vegan
Bill Peet is a genius. I’ve read several of his books now. They’re all a little different; they’re all excellent. The only reason I’m not giving this book 5 stars is there were some scary and sad parts that might be a bit too much for some readers/listeners, and almost too much for me. But, I unreservedly love Scamp the dog. What a wonderful character!
Ronyell
“The Whingdingdilly” is a beautiful and fantastic story from the creative mind of Bill Peet. Bill Peet’s witty writing along with his beautiful illustrations makes this story one of the finest children’s stories ever written.

Bill Peet has done an excellent job at both illustrating and writing this story with such creativity that will astound many children. This story is extremely heartwarming and exciting at the same time with Scamp trying to find his true self while trying to find his owner, O
Dolly
Apr 02, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining story that teaches a lesson that we should appreciate what we've got and not wish to be someone (or something else.) The illustrations are very comical, especially when the witch finishes changing Scamp into the Whingdingdilly. We loved the old fashioned feel of the rural farm and horse-drawn buggy. And the story has a lot of suspense, as the roustabouts chase and capture poor scamp. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Marc
Last year, I read every single Dr. Seuss book despite having read them as a child. My thinking was that maybe I might have missed one or two (and guess what?...I had! A few, in fact.) This year, I decided to read Bill Peet, whose literary output equals that of Dr. Seuss, yet somehow I'd overlooked Peet even though the two writers were cranking out books around the same time. I haven't finished Peet's bibliography but, so far, I'm impressed. His 'Wumpworld' is very similar to 'The Lorax'...but be ...more
Heather
Wow, this book is long. I didn't really feel as lovingly as most people who rate this book did. I mean it wasn't a bad book per se, it was just kind of boring. The illustrations were nice in that old Dr. Seuss kind of style, and nicely colored, but the story, didn't give me much emotion. My daughter sat with me, but only to cuddle. She lost interest halfway through. I felt I had to finish cause I didn't want to have lost a whole book toward my challenge count because I gave up. Basically this bo ...more
Jenna
This book was my absolute favorite as a kid, and I still hold it close to my heart as an adult. Every time I went to the library, I would immediately dart to The Whingdingdilly and check it out every time. Today I had to go read it again and boy did it bring back memories. Bill Peet is an amazing author, and his books are definitely those that I will read to my kids in the future.
Austin
Bill Peet is the cream of the crop when it comes to writing children's books. I read them when I was a kid, I remembered them in the back of my mind for years, and I rediscovered them to my delight when I was searching for good books to read to my own children. His philosophies are often not compatible with mine, but they are not pernicious, and the delight of reading is all I remember from my childhood - I did not absorb any of his worldview.
Jireh Adalia
My favorite part is that the people where like " It's fake, It's fake." It's a funny book. come on and read it.
Shelley
Feb 05, 2015 Shelley added it
Shelves: poetry, age-4
Cute. Rhymed. Lesson to be happy with yourself and don't try to be like something else.
Angela
I read this to second graders in the library. They loved it.
Ash
This book felt a bit too long,but still a good read.
Robin
Likable story with a message. Long.
Heather
Love this book!
Tamischall
Very cute.
Wickedshizuku (and her 7 Black cats)
Jun 10, 2015 Wickedshizuku (and her 7 Black cats) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children 4th grade and up
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: my son
A very good morale to the story.
Tiffany Ames
Read and loved this book as a child. I couldn't, for the life of me, remember the name. Thank goodness for Google image search!
Heila
I so remember this book from my childhood. I'm not sure why -- if I read it a bunch of times, or whether it just really stuck with me... It's a fantastical tale (and illustrations), with everyday-life subtexts. Funny how the truth endures because part of this story really applies to today's celebrity-obsessed culture, but it's a 1970 copyright.
Julie
This is a great book for advanced pre-school readers and probably on up to the 2nd grade. It's a fairly long book for little ones, but it's a captivating story of a dog who wishes he were a famous horse and what happens to him when his wish comes true. The dog is brilliantly illustrated--you feel his every sigh of discontent!
Shannon
This one is only good to look through on your own. She actually used to bring this to me to have me read it when she was first pulling books off the shelves on her own, but each page has multiple paragraphs of text on it and it's just too long to keep her attention. The pictures captivate her, but I'm not sure why.
Caroline
I found this for 50 cents on the library sale table, and it brought back so many good childhood memories. Bill Peet was prolific, and my brother and cousins and I devoured his books. I love the sketchy illustration style, and I still anthropomorphize houses and trains thanks to him.
Kirsten
What a fun book! I bought this book after reading another by this author. I really don't think you can go wrong with his books. This was a good story about a dog wanting to be something else. Good message and fun to read.
Nina
Not one of my favorite Bill Peet books, but my daughter liked it. She asked for it again the night after I read it to her. I was impressed she liked it, since it's a long picture book.
Megan
Jun 06, 2008 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The young and the young at heart
I have a copy of this book signed by Bill Peet, Jr. He is a lesser known but amazing children's book author. Truly an unsung hero in children's literature. Thoughtful and whimsical.
Stephanie
Bill Peet is hands-down, our favorite children's author. His stories are fabulous and his illustrations are spot-on. We've read every single one and there is not a bad one in the bunch.
David
Sometimes we feel unwanted so we go off and become a big celebrity but it's not a happy thing so if you're really lucky a witch will be pissed off at you and turn you into a dog.
Katie Watkins
This is one of my kids' favorite books! Bill Peet is an amazing author and illustrator. I especially love his rhyming books--they are so creative and fun.
Esther
I think as a child I read all the Bill Peet books I could get my hands on. I paticularly remember this one. Someday I hope to own his whole collection :)
Melissa
Katie (10) recommends this book because
1. It is hilarious.
2. It is hilarious.
3. It is hilarious.
4. It is sweet and a good story.
Monique
3.5 stars. My 4 year old was very engrossed in the story. A nice lesson in gratitude, and in appreciating who we are and what we have.
  • The Island of the Skog
  • Chewy Louie
  • Micawber
  • A Day's Work
  • Frog Goes to Dinner
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Caboose Who Got Loose How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head