Start by marking “The Whingdingdilly” as Want to Read:
The Whingdingdilly

The Whingdingdilly

Scamp learns to be content with his dog's life when Zildy the kooky witch turns him into a whing-dingdilly.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 4/26/1982 Pages: 64 Reading Level: Age 5 and Up
Published April 26th 1982 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Whingdingdilly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whingdingdilly

Bonnie
Jul 15, 2009 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read aloud to children, especially stories about animals
4 stars

Note: Bill Peet, author and illustrator, died at the age of 87 in 2002. All of his 34 books, including the first, published in 1959, are still in print today. In his career as an author and illustrator of children’s books, Peet created a menagerie of unforgettable characters. He had this to say about them: “I write about animals because I love to draw them. Most of my animal characters have human personalities, and some are much like the people I know.” Children from ages 4 – 8 love to l
Lisa Vegan
Bill Peet is a genius. I’ve read several of his books now. They’re all a little different; they’re all excellent. The only reason I’m not giving this book 5 stars is there were some scary and sad parts that might be a bit too much for some readers/listeners, and almost too much for me. But, I unreservedly love Scamp the dog. What a wonderful character!
Ronyell
Mar 10, 2010 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
“The Whingdingdilly” is a beautiful and fantastic story from the creative mind of Bill Peet. Bill Peet’s witty writing along with his beautiful illustrations makes this story one of the finest children’s stories ever written.

Bill Peet has done an excellent job at both illustrating and writing this story with such creativity that will astound many children. This story is extremely heartwarming and exciting at the same time with Scamp trying to find his true self while trying to find his owner, O
Dolly
Apr 02, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining story that teaches a lesson that we should appreciate what we've got and not wish to be someone (or something else.) The illustrations are very comical, especially when the witch finishes changing Scamp into the Whingdingdilly. We loved the old fashioned feel of the rural farm and horse-drawn buggy. And the story has a lot of suspense, as the roustabouts chase and capture poor scamp. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Christopher W.
It was good, makes me think twice about being an otter XD. It would be nice if he just stayed like that but had his owner it kinda relates to another book about a boy who wants to be something else but figure there will be a consequence. That poor poor dog, yes DOG! When I saw the cover, never in 1,000,000 years would I have guessed that was a dog on the cover. I highly recommend checking out Bill Peet's books, they remind of Stephen Cosgrove's book style.
Julia
Dec 27, 2016 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: book, bill-peet
I came to love the works of Bill Peet when I read about him in elementary school. Like the Serendipity series, the characters are given their own life, a story that becomes a wonderful lesson and a chance to really see how life works. Unlike Serendipity, though, is the fact that the stories have less of a fantastical feel and the beautiful illustrations as these ones focus on daily life so instead are slightly blandish if compared to the other series.

In this particular book children are given
Marc
Dec 10, 2014 Marc rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Last year, I read every single Dr. Seuss book despite having read them as a child. My thinking was that maybe I might have missed one or two (and guess what?...I had! A few, in fact.) This year, I decided to read Bill Peet, whose literary output equals that of Dr. Seuss, yet somehow I'd overlooked Peet even though the two writers were cranking out books around the same time. I haven't finished Peet's bibliography but, so far, I'm impressed. His 'Wumpworld' is very similar to 'The Lorax'...but be ...more
Heather
May 19, 2013 Heather rated it did not like it
Wow, this book is long. I didn't really feel as lovingly as most people who rate this book did. I mean it wasn't a bad book per se, it was just kind of boring. The illustrations were nice in that old Dr. Seuss kind of style, and nicely colored, but the story, didn't give me much emotion. My daughter sat with me, but only to cuddle. She lost interest halfway through. I felt I had to finish cause I didn't want to have lost a whole book toward my challenge count because I gave up. Basically this bo ...more
Jenna
Sep 29, 2010 Jenna rated it it was amazing
This book was my absolute favorite as a kid, and I still hold it close to my heart as an adult. Every time I went to the library, I would immediately dart to The Whingdingdilly and check it out every time. Today I had to go read it again and boy did it bring back memories. Bill Peet is an amazing author, and his books are definitely those that I will read to my kids in the future.
Snickerdoodle
Jun 06, 2017 Snickerdoodle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Scamp is a dog - unhappy being himself. He wanted to be somebody special. Over the course of the story he learns that there's nothing better than being a dog - and being with his best friend Orvie. The story is well written, pictures are interesting to look at. A fun read aloud book.
Austin
Oct 24, 2014 Austin rated it it was amazing
Bill Peet is the cream of the crop when it comes to writing children's books. I read them when I was a kid, I remembered them in the back of my mind for years, and I rediscovered them to my delight when I was searching for good books to read to my own children. His philosophies are often not compatible with mine, but they are not pernicious, and the delight of reading is all I remember from my childhood - I did not absorb any of his worldview.
Shannon
May 31, 2010 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: moira-recommends
This one is only good to look through on your own. She actually used to bring this to me to have me read it when she was first pulling books off the shelves on her own, but each page has multiple paragraphs of text on it and it's just too long to keep her attention. The pictures captivate her, but I'm not sure why.
Nancy
Jun 30, 2016 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, dogs, wtnotb
A very charming little dog story with very sweet and funny illustrations. The only things that could make this book better would be more illustrations! I don't know how the creator managed to let the dog's original appearance and darling character shine through all the transformations, but it is quite splendid.
Julie
Sep 04, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
This is a great book for advanced pre-school readers and probably on up to the 2nd grade. It's a fairly long book for little ones, but it's a captivating story of a dog who wishes he were a famous horse and what happens to him when his wish comes true. The dog is brilliantly illustrated--you feel his every sigh of discontent!
The Brothers
Not my favorite of the stories by Bill Peet. It's about a dog that is envious of a fancy horse that is receiving a lot of attention. He feels depressed about being a plain ol' dog. So, he wanders off into the woods where a witch turns him into a blend of creatures ranging from an elephant to a camel.

Really creative illustrations though!
Heila
Aug 16, 2014 Heila rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I so remember this book from my childhood. I'm not sure why -- if I read it a bunch of times, or whether it just really stuck with me... It's a fantastical tale (and illustrations), with everyday-life subtexts. Funny how the truth endures because part of this story really applies to today's celebrity-obsessed culture, but it's a 1970 copyright.
Judy
Jun 03, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
One of my nephews loved the Bill Peet books when he was in elementary school, and now he's reading them to his own children. I'm slowly catching up on the kids' reading favorites. I can see the appeal of this one -- a lovable dog, a twist of magic and glory, and an old-fashioned farm setting. The moral of the tale is similar to that of 'The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings.'
Kirsten
May 27, 2008 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
What a fun book! I bought this book after reading another by this author. I really don't think you can go wrong with his books. This was a good story about a dog wanting to be something else. Good message and fun to read.
Roger
Jan 14, 2017 Roger rated it really liked it
I loved the artwork and the message (be your own dog, don't envy beautiful horses). The artwork reminded me of several of my favorite children's books. My only disappointment was the complete lack of diversity in the humans portrayed.
Caroline
Feb 27, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2011
I found this for 50 cents on the library sale table, and it brought back so many good childhood memories. Bill Peet was prolific, and my brother and cousins and I devoured his books. I love the sketchy illustration style, and I still anthropomorphize houses and trains thanks to him.
Spenser White
Aug 10, 2015 Spenser White rated it it was amazing
I read this as a child. As I'm reviewing these books I've noticed that many Peet's books are about accepting yourself. How wonderfully progressive! I love this book! The story is wonderful and the illustrations are as always, top notch.
Loyal
May 26, 2016 Loyal rated it it was amazing
Another beloved Bill Peet book, which tells the story of Scamp the dog, who wants to be great and fancy like a horse. He learns to be careful what you wish for, as a witch grants him his desire to be unique. A great book with a good moral. I really enjoyed it.
Challaine Ruddock
Nov 07, 2015 Challaine Ruddock rated it it was amazing
A memorable & humorous story from childhood days. One of my fav.
MJ
Nov 11, 2015 MJ rated it liked it
Cute!
Veronica
Jul 15, 2011 Veronica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A charming tale of self worth and identity, a delightful children's tale!
Esther
Feb 01, 2008 Esther rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I think as a child I read all the Bill Peet books I could get my hands on. I paticularly remember this one. Someday I hope to own his whole collection :)
Stephanie
Bill Peet is hands-down, our favorite children's author. His stories are fabulous and his illustrations are spot-on. We've read every single one and there is not a bad one in the bunch.
Samantha Tolleson
Jun 06, 2015 Samantha Tolleson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children 4th grade and up
Recommended to Samantha by: my son
A very good morale to the story.
Kimberly
Jan 25, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This and Cowardly Clyde were my son's favorite books, starting when he was about 2. We love Bill Peet books.
Bree
Jun 22, 2016 Bree rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was amazing it was so cool and sad at the same time.

Mood: laughing&crying
  • The Bear That Heard Crying
  • The Knight and the Dragon
  • Mailing May
  • All about Alfie
  • Frog Goes to Dinner (A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog)
  • Summer Story
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
  • Chewy Louie
  • Micawber
  • The Silver Pony
  • The Seven Silly Eaters
  • Wendel's Workshop
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft