Start by marking “Luminosity” as Want to Read:
Read Book

Luminosity (Luminosity #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The history and character of the Twilight world are intact in Luminosity up to the point where the story begins, with one exception: Bella's a rational self-awareness-junkie with a penchant for writing down everything that crosses her mind in a notebook. She maintains many of the traits and dispositions of canon - and Luminosity is a Bella/Edward story - but she's a distin ...more
Published July 13th 2010 by Self-published

To ask other readers questions about Luminosity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luminosity

For all her flaws, particularly her habit of ruining other people's lives, I absolutely adore this incarnation of Bella. She's an interesting, engaging narrator and reading her words doesn't make me look down on her, it makes me appreciate the intelligence that never shone in the original series. I loved how she dealt with James - not so much with the Volturi, but we got there in the end - and after Luminosity and Radiance I don't think I'll be able to go back to Twilight.

I don't think this shou
Jason Kleinberg
I really couldn't put this book down once it got going, which is basically where it departs from the cannon story. While there is a LOT of bad fanfiction, this is a rare exception. It's much better written than the cannon story, with characters that are richer, and more real, yet true to original , other than Bella who instead of merely being a passive one-dimensional plot device, is a well-rounded strong protagonist.
Eneya Vorodecky
This is surprisingly good.
I can't believe it but it is the ultimate proof that the "Twilight" could have been readable... if it was written by someone who was more intelligent than a garden variety stone.

This is a fanfiction based on the Twilight series books. I am so not going to call it "saga" because that word doesn't mean what the author thinks it means.

This interests me deeply because I love reading books and I have some observations about our culture and how it treats and views its authors
Ben Pace
HpMoR is Eliezer Yudkowsky's Rationalist Fiction, and Luminosity is Alicorn's. There is much less emphasis on the teaching of rationality here, although still some useful hints and tips of a more practical nature than HpMoR, but this adaptation is still way above the level of most fiction. It doesn't feel like a natural ending, but perhaps the story is just very realistic. Things do go wrong, and plots really easily don't work. I'll be reading the sequel soon.
What the hell did I just read??!!
More to the point, what have all other reviewers been reading??!!

I'm as little a fan of the original works as most around here, and I did appreciate the first few chapters, where Bella finally grows a backbone and exhibits some critical thinking. But once the story diverges from the original path... damn, was this an awful trainwreck!!

SMeyer's Bella has no personality, no preference, no independence of thought, and nothing making her even remotely interesting. He
Jul 09, 2015 GVR rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: fanfic
I had such strong and unexpected opinions about the first twenty thousand words of Luminosity, I decided to review that first 20K, even though I gave up at that point and have not read any further.

The basic premise of Luminosity is that it's a re-imagining of Twilight, except instead of being judgmental, overly emotional, and careless with her well-being, Bella is rational and well adjusted. This sounds like something I would love, both as a long-time feminist and as someone who can be a bit hyp
Adam Smith
Bella Swan is a quick-witted rationalist with an obsession with critical thinking. When she moves to the small town of Forks, she begins noticing strange things about a certain family in town. Their eyes change colour, they don't seem to eat, and they never appear in daylight. The Cullens are hiding something big. It's not long before Bella finds herself engulfed in a world of vampires and danger, and she has only one goal. She's going to take it over.

Twilight as a series was readable, but a far
David Rutter
I've never read the canon series, but I can infer enough from the Wikipedia synopsis and the excerpts I've heard to guess that this fanfic is far better written and more interesting. Furthermore, I'd guess that it downplays to a large extent the subject of love and romance, focusing more heavily on the aspect of personal choice. This is not surprising, considering it is written by a member of the Bayesian Conspiracy with the intention of illustrating concepts of rational introspection and decisi ...more
Yasiru (reviews will soon be removed and linked to blog)
Finally took the plunge and tried this in spite of my disdain for the source material (unlike the case with HPMOR). Bella here could certainly be said to be an improvement over the original, but being rational for her too often involves belabouring the obvious and her sense of righteous entitlement ensures that she's never quite the final agent she imagines herself to be in the workings of power, such as they are. HPMOR's Harry exhibits a similar attitude, but the setting there allows him enough ...more
Very enjoyable and clever take on Twilight.
Twilight with common sense, I like. I started reading this after I finished Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

In this retelling of Twlight, Bella is bestowed upon the gift of common sense and rather good planning skills. This also comes with a distinct personality and combined with a love of life in general (which parallels Harry in the above-mentioned HPMOR), makes for much interesting character than canon Bella. It was entirely entertaining how Bella manages to thwart plans and conv
Shayan Kh
3.5 stars to be honest.
This was really good! I somewhat expected a better attempt at rationality, because I read in the reviews that it is similar to Yudkowsky's HPMoR. It wasn't. But it was a better book overall. I had mixed feelings towards HPMoR, it wasn't really fun to read, specially if the main character is unnecessarily bad to your favorite characters of the original books. But in Luminosity, things are much more fun than the original book! Granted, there is much less character developme
Three stars feels too low. Four feels a bit too high. Let's call it 3.75 stars.

I'm rather fascinated with Twilight (stay with me, I'm not a Twihard) and my reaction to it. When the series first came out, both my husband and I were able to become completely engrossed in the novels, despite the flaws in plot, character, prose etc -- in fact I wasn't really aware of them during my first read-through, though some things stood out for sure.

Being an analytical sort, this ability t
Rita C
The Bella in this version is more rational, but she comes across as almost robot-like. She also comes across as a kind of Super-Intelligent MarySue with entitlement issues. She gets so many people hurt or killed by the end of this book, and causes so much emotional destruction from her choices. It's just painful.

For all the many flaws of the original books, they were somewhat more upbeat in tone. So this book is am improvement in the technical writing ability and in erasing some the more obvious
Shriya Sriram
Holy. I was just so, so blown away by this one. Honestly, the best twilight fanfic I've ever read. It started out being pretty draggy, especially when Alicorn was still setting up the elements of the world and Bella's thinking process.

But once it hit the climax, wow. Just wow. I really don't have any words to describe it other than that, but it got really dark really fast. And well, this author is really willing to go places that Stephenie Meyer wasn't willing to.

Also, the way it ended on that
Brian Finifter
Well that was certainly a ballsy way to go with the ending, but I'm not sure what the point of telling that story was.
Eric Herboso
In this retelling of the Twilight story, Bella is decidedly not an idiot. The resulting story is nothing short of amazing. This is fanfiction at its best.

I first read Stephanie Meyer's Twilight because I had a teenage sister at the time, and wanted to read what she was so excited about. It was a wonderful tale and I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite its glorification of anti-feminism. Like Rand's Atlas Shrugged or Card's Ender's Game, I am well aware that a book can be good fiction even when it esp
Much more logical than Twilight, which I enjoy.
It would build up a climax to a fight scene, and then suddenly skip ahead to describe the battle in too-simplified retrospect. That was one of the few things that bothered me, I like to be knee-deep in the detailed action. The only other thing was that I wanted another book, explaining the post-world.

All in all, a great book that I recommend to friends.
I most enjoyed the earlier parts where Bella's self-reflection and rationality skills were most prominently on display. The sharp left turn near the end threw me and, sucker for happy endings that I am, I did not really enjoy the last bit.
The first half or so of the book is a poorly-concealed manual on self-awareness, which is awesome. The second half is less so: there's a lot of action/adventure going on, lots of artificially-induced panic and a bit of (view spoiler) stuff. Still, up until (view spoiler) it felt like one of the smartest pieces of fiction I've ever read.

Also, by the end I hated the word "murmur".
You know, I think I like this fan fiction better than I do the Twilight books. If anything, it's at least a close tie. However, I find this book to be slightly more believable. I also love (I'm half sarcastic, half not) the big cliffhanger at the end. When I read what had happened my thoughts consisted of "WTH" and "This has to be fake, right?"

At this point, I won't say anymore. Only that as soon as I finished this book I "picked up" (I guess "clicking on" is more accurate) the sequel.
Nov 17, 2013 Una rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cilvēkiem, kam patīk refleksija un nav iebildumu pret vampīriem
Recommended to Una by: brālis
Shelves: sev, fantasy, fanfiks
Ar kārtu mentāli veselīgāks par oriģinālu un patīkams savā vērienā, bet vienā brīdī man apnika. Racionalitātes ziņā Judkovskis iespārda vairāk, kaut arī "Luminosity" ir savs īpašs fokuss - atbilstoši oriģināla tēmām -, kam HPMoR'ā (Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality) netiek pievērsts tik daudz uzmanības.
Note: There were some parts that I really liked and some parts that I really didn't but it was too good of a book to put that I didn't like it overall. This is a rewrite of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and I think that the author was very creative in coming up with the different twists that the plot would take if Bella were actually a rational, thinking person.
Having never read the Twilight books, and with the intention of never reading the Twilight books, I found myself reading Twilight fan-fiction... So there's that. A "what-if" re-imagining that has Bella as a strong, rational character (mostly).

Much like Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (although Bella is not a genius, but she is pretty smart). Decently written, clever. First of three books.
(First read in 2012? That's what goodreads originally said but it probably isn't right.)
Pritish Patil
A very epic version of the original. I really loved the way Bella made sense this time
Nikita Popov
Nikita Popov marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Survivors (The Survivors, #1)
  • The Iron Queen (Daughters of Zeus, #3)
  • The Opal Deception: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novels, #4)
  • Draco Dormiens (Draco Trilogy, #1)
  • Worm
  • Road Blocks (Other Places, #2)
  • Little Darlings
  • Trial of the Clone: An Interactive Adventure!
  • Unforgotten
  • Ignite (Project Integrate, #0.5)
  • The 13th Sign
  • Three Worlds Collide
  • Back and Deader Than Ever (Monster High, #4)
  • The Savage
  • Demon's Doorway (Damned and Cursed, #4)
  • Power Revealed (The Elementers, #1)

Luminosity (3 books)
  • Radiance
  • Flashes
Radiance Flashes Summons (Elcenia, #1) Blood (Elcenia) Empaths (Elcenia)