Mad Men, Bad Girls and the Guerilla Knitters Institute

Mad Men, Bad Girls and the Guerilla Knitters Institute (A Scout Davis Investigation #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  66 reviews
When a secretive American cult moves to the Gold Coast, freelance journalist Scout Davis's investigative antennae start quivering. She sets out to expose the cult's lunatic beliefs and bizarre practices, but when she learns the identity of a recent recruit, her quest becomes personal. And dangerous.

The cult isn't the only case on Scout's agenda. Someone is cutting up girls...more
Published March 3rd 2012 by PanMacmillan Australia (first published 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Men, Bad Girls and the Guerilla Knitters Institute

Trina
This book was previously released as Mad Men Bad Girls and the Guerilla Knitters Institute. I received this book free through a loyalty rewards program (yay freebies!) and I strangely decided to read it straight away. This isn't a genre I normally read, and the only way I feel like I can describe the genre is that it's just a fluffy, chick lit, crime/mystery novel.

That said, I was surprised that I enjoyed it a lot. I was instantly drawn in to the story line; Scout Davis, investigative journalis...more
Vicki Tyley
“I can’t describe what it is that makes Byron special; there’s an intangible quality that’s difficult to define. Apart from the outstanding natural beauty, there’s a soul that seeps into your bones. Byron is an eclectic mix—cultured and feral, chamomile and gin, tattoo and Gucci. With attitude.” -- Mad Men, Bad Girls

Scout Davis, a diabetic, tea-drinking journalist, lives in Byron Bay, her only company while her partner is away working in Afghanistan a rescued cat she calls Chairman Meow. She’s i...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Who can resist a title like Mad Men, Bad Girls and The Guerilla Knitters Institute, it promises a fun, quirky story with a little intrigue and danger which is exactly what it delivers. This fiction debut novel by Australian author Maggie Groff is quite the departure from her non fiction titles dealing with motherhood (Mothers Behaving Badly) and cooking (Hoax Cuisine) though Groff's irreverent sense of humor remains intact. A freelance investigative journalist, Groff's protagonist, Scout Davis,...more
Rebecca Kent
Sigh, I really want to like Australian chic-lit but its just so lame. This book was slow to take off, I found it clunky to read and I was annoyed at the attempts the author made to validate the main character starting an affair with her partners best friend. Also the constant referral to her diabetes and its management - felt like i was reading a pamphlet on 'why diabetics are just like normal people, except for the needles'. Please!
Carolyn
This book was a lot of fun. A good light read perfect for a lazy summer day.
Scout Davis is a freelance journalist living in Byron Bay. She agrees to look into a cult that has moved from the US to Australia and goes undercover to find out if the cult is phony or not. At the same time she is helping her sister, a teacher at an exclusive private school, solve a puzzle involving slashed underwear in the girls change rooms.3.5★
Kylie Simpson
Just a sneaky comment, I have just finished the sequel, due in March, and it is FANTASTIC, as good as if not better than the first. I love this series. Scout is a great character, and they are calling this series the Australian Evanovich, which is spot on, but if you are a fan of Marian Keyes quirky family tales with the Walsh Sisters, I think you will also love these books. magpie Groff does a great job of weaving three tales into the one book, and veering between them at just the right time to...more
Wal.li
Scout Davis - Journalistin
Scout Davis ist Journalistin. Um Geld zu verdienen schreibt sie auch mal einen Artikel, der etwas nichtssagend ist. Doch ihr Herz hängt an den investigativen Reportagen. Und so kann und will sie nicht nein sagen als sie ein Angebot bekommt, über eine Sekte zu schreiben, die aus Amerika ins beschauliche Australische Byron Bay übergesiedelt ist. Gleichzeitig bittet sie ihre Schwester Harper um Hilfe, an deren Schule wurde Unterwäsche zerschnitten und das sorgt für große U...more
Hayley
I listened to the audiobook version of this, a copy of which I picked up for $5 at a Dymocks sale. I listened to its entirety in my car, much to my family's distress - they're not big on audio books!

Man Men, Bad Girls and the Guerilla Knitters Institute is an Australian humour/crime novel written by Maggie Groff. It's... very Australian in its manner, set primarily in Byron Bay and the Gold Coast. Our protagonist is Scout Davis, a 40-something-year-old investigative journalist who is writing a s...more
Zoe
What fun! This story of an investigative journalist with an interesting life in Australia is propelled by to one, it two mysteries that need solving. One involves a cult, and despite the heavy material, the author does a splendid job of balancing the seriousness of the subject without making it too heavy. Very enjoyable. If we're lucky, this will become a series.
Jowellyn Neville
This book, set in Byron Bay/Gold Coast Australia, is all they say about it and more.
It's funny and witty. The plot keeps ploughing ahead with every page. Filled with characters you can't forget, this is a delightful, easy read that you just can't put down.
Jodi
Excellent book. Wonderfully written. About an Investigative Journalist investigating a number of intriguing cases. Therapeutic read on a number of different levels :-)
Carmen
It's ok, very light and fluffy. Quick and easy read that kept my interest .
Karen
I am a bit of a sucker for a daft title, even though it frequently explodes in my face. Even then, it did come as somewhat of a surprise to be reading a knitting type book (no patterns ... there are limits). The reason I picked up MAD MEN, BAD GIRLS AND THE GUERRILLA KNITTERS INSTITUTE is pretty simple really - a bit of little light relief after a row of heavy, thought provoking books. Exercise distraction therapy... whatever. Regardless of why I picked this book up, have to say, was pleasantly...more
Fiona
First off, I find this book gets recommended to fans of Janet Evanovich and/or Alexander McCall-Smith. Which is fine. But if you, like me, are not a fan of either of those authors, don't let that put you off - there are a lot of reasons to like this book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Guerilla Knitters' Institute pulled me in to this book. Scout, the main character, is a member of this deeply covert and slightly illegal group who graffiti parts of Byron Bay using yarn. The scenes with this grou...more
Book Bazaar
This was a lovely read. Set in Byron Bay and the Gold Coast it follows Scout Davies - a freelance journalist and secret yarn bomber. In this charming Aussie read Scout is investigating a creepy and mysterious cult, while trying not to let the drop dead gorgeous chief of police find out about her midnight adventures coving Byron in bright knitted adornments. Along the way she has a wild fling, recruits her newphew to the yarn bombers group and solves a mysterious bullying case for her teacher sis...more
Sallyann Van leeuwen
Great fun book. Scout Davis is a journalist living in Byron Bay, who has been given the task to infiltrate a cult that has arrived in Queensland. Not only that, she has a sister and her kids to deal with, her car has been stolen, there's a gorgeous cop that may be interested in her, or her membership with the guerilla knitters institute...loved the voice of the main character and being welcomed in her family. Just read that there is another in the series which I will hunt down! Reminded me of th...more
Rachael
I read this in one day trying to recover from a cold. Loved the humour, characters and setting.
Vicki
A light-hearted read with few surprises. Some of the comments and descriptions were very funny, laugh-out-loud material. I thought the Guerilla Knitters were a bit overrated and added nothing to the story. It felt like the author was trying a bit too hard to be a quirky Byron Bay local.
It bugged me when products were referred to by their commercial name (e.g. "Australian Women's Weekly" when "magazine" would be fine). I'm sure it was done as a relaxed style of writing but it left me thinking Pr...more
Wendy
I loved this book, what could be more Australian then calling a girl named Savannah who always has "hickies' on her neck "The battered Sav"?
Jess
Aug 19, 2012 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chick lit likers
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't expect it to answer all the mysteries of life, I just wanted to have a good read. And it delivered. It was fast paced and lots of fun - although appropriately nasty in some bits. I enjoyed the humour (even though some of it was self-indulgent on the part of the writer) and I liked the characters although some of them could have been better developed. Having said that, I couldn't put it down - which is always a good sign :)
Susan
Scout Davis is a diabetic investigative journalist living in Byron Bay, who is asked to investigate a cult that has moved to the Gold Coast. Also her teacher sister asks her to look into strange events happening at her school.

This was a great read. Some mystery and romance all written with a good sense of Aussie humour. I look forward to more of Scout's adventures in future books.
Chele
A couple of the main character's routines became a bit tedious with repetition, but that's pretty much my only gripe.
The main characters were interesting as were the the plots and sub-plots. The story moved along without getting bogged down.

It will be interesting to see if further novels feature the same character set.
Nicola
I loved this book, at first I found the writing style a little difficult to get used to - but once I'd settled into it, I fell in love with the characters, I laughed and I couldn't put it down. It's clever, witty and fun.
A magical read with real heart. Hopefully it's the first in a series and we'll see more of Scout!
Tara
Nowhere near as funny as Janet Evanovich- but I still enjoyed it. I loved reading an Australian book- despite being annoyed at times when I felt she was writing to an American audience, for example describing an accent as '0zzie' *shudder*. The mystery was entertaining and I will definitely read the next one.
Stephanie
I listened to the Audible version of this book. Enjoyed this mystery. Plot moved along well, characters were interesting and not full of blood and guts (need a break from that now and then). I gave it 5 stars because I certainly will listen to this again. Look forward to more books from this author!!
Jacki Thomas
Great read, had me laughing, quirky and fun
Katrina
Its always fun to read a book set in places you know, especially so close to home (this one is set on the Gold Coast and Byron Bay). I enjoyed the story, liked the characters but did have moments when I did wonder if she could wrap it up! She also went on a bit too much about her diabetes!
Michelle
Great quick read. Fresh and contemporary.
It was given to me as a freebie from a Bookshop - so I didn't hold big hopes for it. Surprise.
I could even give it 4 stars - but I rarely give 4 stars - and this won't be memorable - but it is great 'fill in' read.
Lauren
Good stuff! Love the way Byron Bay became a character.

Finished a few days ago and miss being able to pick the story up and jump back in. Currently staying at Ballina and wondering if I'll bump into Scout or any of her friends (Rafe. Let it be Rafe). ;)
Angela
Ok. This was a fun easy read. The characters and plot are vivid. But it needed a good edit to get rid of some of the weirder descriptions. And not a single person advised her against an affair? Too flippant on a big plot device. Byron bay a great location.
  • Man Drought
  • The Girl in the Hard Hat
  • Half Moon Bay
  • Darkening Skies (Dungirri #3)
  • Dark Horse
  • The Railwayman's Wife
  • The French Promise
  • Murder and Mendelssohn (Phryne Fisher #20)
  • Nine Days
  • The Vale Girl
  • Sweet Damage
  • The Convent
  • The Greatest Lover Ever (The Westruthers, #2)
  • The First Third
  • Poet's Cottage
  • The Cartographer
  • Sorry
  • The Mothers' Group
Maggie Groff is a mother who behaves very badly and lives in the tropical wonderland of Banora Point in northern New South Wales. Her first book Mothers Behaving Badly was published after she sent a cranky letter to the Sydney Morning Herald stressing the importance of motherhood and how it is the hardest job in the world to do.
More about Maggie Groff...
Good News, Bad News Mad Men, Bad Girls Mothers Behaving Badly Hoax Cuisine Good News, Bad News