Start by marking “Astronauts and Heretics” as Want to Read:
Astronauts and Heretics

Astronauts and Heretics

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  13 reviews
An ardent missionary beams to another galaxy--but finds his convictions and personality altered in transmission.

A bounty hunter pursues a replicant from out of history. This is not called termination. It is called “impeachment.”

Aliens invade a globally depressed Earth with a sinister weapon: A new line of curiously addictive consumer products.

Superheroes must control the...more
Published (first published December 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Astronauts and Heretics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astronauts and Heretics

Tom Marcinko
Is there some way I could identify myself as the person who wrote the stories in this book, and thank everybody who posted a review?

It's a bracing thing to read comments on your work, positive or negative, from strangers. They tend to tell you what they really think.

A hand, please, for my very talented friend Richard Laugharn, who designed the cover.

And thanks to the several and sundry editors who published these stories, and actually gave me money for them.
Rajiv
I saw the recommendation on Boing Boing and just had to read this collection of short stories.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with the overall quality of the stories. The descriptions were written masterfully, drawing readers in with succinct teasers. The stories themselves felt jumbled however, and they lacked the quality of the teasers that drew me in.

There are wonderful concepts hiding in the stories, but they are muddled by poor editing. The pacing and characterizations need work; the...more
Joel Neff
The seven stories in this collection showcase a writer fully in command of his craft and talent. They range from the comic (Deep Space Sein - seriously, a mash-up of DS9 and Seinfeld, it's just genius) to the darkly creepy (Whiter Teeth, Fresher Breath) to the hopeful (everything else).

My one, single, complaint is that Marcinko seems to be a writer who values brevity above all else. Yet his characters are so real, and his ideas so intriguing that I find that each story ends long before I'm read...more
Eveh
These seven stories are loaded with SF goodness: they are gritty, bleak, losing-my-religion, often-hilarious, wag-the-alien, Seinfeld-loving targeted missiles. (You won’t look at your toothbrush or skyscrapers or the Pope the same way—unless you’re too busy wondering which version of you was retrieved and reassembled today.)

I've read entire novels that contain fewer ideas and less world-building than one of these finely crafted short stories (although "Henry the Human Flea" did not seem as fles...more
Lynette Aspey

My first disclaimer is that I love the short-story format, and I'm a dedicated and avid SF&F reader. I fall very firmly in the audience bracket for this collection and I was not only surprised but delighted by what I found therein.

A humanist theme resonates through all of the stories, and the writer demonstrates a keen eye for observation and a wry sense of humour. So, on one hand I recognise that this collection will not suit everyone, I also unreservedly recommend it to readers who look fo...more
Rachel
This is a really thoughtful collection of stories. I loved Deep Space Sein despite having watched full episodes of NEITHER Star Trek NOR Seinfeld, which goes to show either Marcinko's writing abilities or the pervasiveness of trek & seinfeld in pop culture today...

Recommended to anyone who's a fan of comic book superheroes, American Gods, and China Miéville.
Stephane
Very interesting collections of short stories, each with a unique little spin on some "sci fi" trope. Each reads more as well written thought experiments, with some comedy thrown in (Deep Space Sein: a mash up of Seinfeld and Star Trek; A Closer Personal Relationship: the second coming is not quite what we expected). The story are short, interesting and well written.
A very fast, very clever, very good read.
Deanna
This collection of sci-fi short stories was offered free in the Kindle store. A few of them were really fun or thought-provoking. My favorite was Deep Space Sein - a Star Trek/Seinfeld mash-up. It made me laugh out loud a couple of times. A couple I thought were too short; I wished they were a little longer. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Molly
Very hook-y short sf, but the hooks just aren't that compelling. Still not sure I know what's the deal with the story about the toothpaste. ::shrug:: I read it on a plane.
Paul
A collection of good sci-fi short stories from what I understand to be new author. I'd like to see a couple of these turned into longer works.
Allison
I enjoyed the Star Trek/Seinfeld crossover and the "oh crap fundies were right" horror story.
Ed Hammerbeck
Decent sci-fi with some interesting ideas.
Mike
Mildly entertaining and immediately forgotten.
Barnaby
Barnaby marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Brandon Cole
Brandon Cole marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Curly
Curly added it
Sep 06, 2014
Edmond Woychowsky
Edmond Woychowsky marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Hal
Hal marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Ang
Ang marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014