Start by marking “River in the Desert: A Modern Traveller in Ancient Egypt” as Want to Read:
River in the Desert: A Modern Traveller in Ancient Egypt

River in the Desert: A Modern Traveller in Ancient Egypt

Egypt is as old as history itself. It is home to some of the world's greatest treasures, a pantheon of dazzling gods and kings, and the roots of the civilised world. Today it is the political and cultural heart of the Arab world and a country of startling contrasts and contradictions. River in the Desertis Paul William Roberts' account of his travels through Egypt, delving ...more
Published October 17th 2006 by Tauris Parke Paperbacks (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about River in the Desert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River in the Desert

Abbey
Dec 18, 2008 Abbey rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying this, it's travel writing but with lots of history thrown in, in a way that makes it really interesting and simple to understanding. Some quite funny bits as well. Exactly what i was looking for in a book about egypt. I can't wait to go there now!

The best part was definitely his description of the Sinai Airways flight from Sinai to Cairo. Very funny! Paul William Roberts describes what he sees in such great detail it really paints a picture of what he is looking at. I was sad
Wilson Cotton
Apr 05, 2013 Wilson Cotton rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the culture and politics of North Africa and the Middle East
At first sight this looks as though it will be a dense read, but appearances are deceptive. Roberts has a wonderfully light touch, but never talks down to his readers. He is full of insights and although this is a book of personal reflections, he knows when to stand back. His astonishing description of a Sufi tariqa is surprisingly disturbing.
Although this was written fifteen years ago when the Arab Spring was unthinkable, he picks up on many of the tensions that were kept suppressed for so long
Kate
Apr 27, 2009 Kate rated it it was ok
I started this book after a trip to Egypt and enjoyed the memories it brought back. On the other hand, it was old enough that many of my experiences were different. I had to return it to the library and wasn't hooked enough to check it out again.
James
Aug 05, 2007 James rated it it was amazing
Paul William Roberts is easily one of the best commentators on the Arab world in the West, and River in the Desert is no exception. It's a fascinating, hilarious, and endearing book about Egypt and Egyptians.
Betsy
Oct 09, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
A different view of Egypt from what we hear on the nightly news. This was updated in 2006 and since then many things have changed in the country, but it is obvious that the author has a true love for the Egypt that was.
Audrey Driscoll
Oct 27, 2014 Audrey Driscoll rated it it was amazing
This is a thoughtful, well-written and often very funny account of travels in Egypt.
brotagonist
Sep 13, 2015 brotagonist rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
Mubarak's Egypt coloured in with history and anecdote: I'm glad I read it.
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2009
Jacquie
Jacquie rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Suzanne Wood
Suzanne Wood rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Amber Gordon
Amber Gordon rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Anysia Rusak
Anysia Rusak rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Brad
Brad rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Marc
Marc rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Katarzyna
Katarzyna rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2011
Alison Waters
Sep 26, 2010 Alison Waters is currently reading it
I am really enjoying this book- I love his writing style.
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2009
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
May 18, 2010
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2010
Romi
Romi rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2011
Diana
Diana rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2008
David Weiss
David Weiss rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Nicalo
Nicalo rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2013
Pamels
Pamels rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2008
Liam
Liam rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2007