Start by marking “Anatomy Of Restlessness: Selected Writings, 1969 1989” as Want to Read:
Anatomy Of Restlessness: Selected Writings, 1969 1989

Anatomy Of Restlessness: Selected Writings, 1969 1989

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Celebrated novelist and travel writer Bruce Chatwin, bestselling author of In Patagonia, The Songlines, and What Am I Doing Here?, has been called the foremost literary traveler of his generation. Now, published for the first time in book form, this collection of writings offers new insight into the late author's life and work.
Published 1996 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Anatomy Of Restlessness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anatomy Of Restlessness

Jim
It is always fascinating to read the minor works of someone whose majo works one loves. After having finished Anatomy of Restlessness: Selected Writings, 1969-1989, I have only two more works of Bruce Chatwin to tackle: On the Black Hill and his collected letters, both of which I have on my shelves.

There are some things that draw me to Chatwin, and others that repel me. On the one hand, he had this mania for travel that has been part of my life after since I broke free of my parents; and, as a f
Robert DeMayo
During my heavy travel years I read Chatwin religiously. His stories brought me to places I'd never known of or even thought of going to, but made me see them with all the unique details he tended to collect. I thought I'd read everything when I stumbled upon Anatomy of Restlessness in a box in my storage bin. This collection may have seemed dull to a 20-something on the road, but as an older man with a tired body I have to say it's priceless.
Paul Blaney
Fans of Chatwin will find all his usual subjects in this slim miscellany. Nomads and the art world, psychologizing and minimalist stories. Nothing new then, but lots to like--his prose style and his fearless manhandling of big, bold ideas in particular.

I enjoyed the final essay, The Morality of Things, and will likely enjoy it again when we come to move house in the next few months. The travel vignettes and the 'stories' are always rewarding. And I hadn't encountered some of his book reviews; t
Josie Shagwert
These essays are maybe even a bit more developed than the ones in What Am I Doing Here? Really pleasurable to read.
Clinton Carter
Certainly the best title for a travel book.
Jason
Best intro to Chatwin's marvelous work.
Nikki
One of my favorite book titles EVER.
Cher
Two words: editor needed.
Chiara
É stato il primo libro di Chatwin che ho letto, forse avrei dovuto iniziare con qualcos'altro, ma nonostante ciò mi ha fatto davvero una bella impressione.
Mi é piaciuto fin da subito a partire dal modo stupendo e curioso di come scrive ai vari racconti mistici e buffi delle sue avventure. Si é anche rivelato un attento osservatore e un buon critico senza troppi filtri. A volte dilungava abbastanza con argomenti un po' tirati ma non troppo, in sostanza mi é piaciuto abbastanza.
Oceana2602
Well, they certainly chose a catchy title...

This book is a collection of previously unpublished essays and other writings of Bruce Chatwin that was released after his death. I've said it before (and since I like to repeat myself, I'll probably say it agaiN): I really really loved Chatwin for a while. And I still like him very much. So yes, of course I'd buy this book, I mean, it's not like the man has written all that much. I'd be a fool not to read everything he wrote.

Personally, I read post-de
Andy
The strange, angelic Chatwin was the master craftsman of British writing in the 1980s. This odd selection shows both the depth and breadth of his work but is probably a better read for those who already know Chatwin's books: start with Songlines, On The Black Hill and Utz.
Aurora
con alcune punte magistrali.
in molte parti non l'ho capito, forse per come scrive Chatwin, forse perché pur amando l'idea del viaggio non sono abbastanza "folle" per poterlo concepire come "motivo di una vita".
se il viaggio è "evasione" allora lo sia per un determinato tempo e non come obiettivo di un'intera vita.
e forse è solo che sono irrequieta e quindi non riesco ad applicarmi a sufficienza.

jules verne non mi è mai piaciuto, essendo io convinto che il reale è sempre più fantastico del fanta

Elie
Chatwin fits the stereotype of the poncy English autodidact who preferred the world when it was still governed by Queen Victoria. That said, his non-fiction - in particular, his writing about nomads and wanderings - is observant and intelligent, the kind of thing to read while alone at a bar or a railroad station. His fiction, however, seems as if it was rescued from the scrapbook of his boarding school days, and is best ignored completely.
Pequete
É um livro heterogéneo, composto por relatos de viagens, ensaios sobre o nomadismo, críticas literárias... Gostei muitos de uns e pouco ou mais ou menos de outros mas no geral foi um livro que gostei de ler, o primeiro deste autor em que peguei, e me fez ficar com vontade de ler mais.
Lido através do BookCrossing (obrigada, cometa54!)
Nina
I really enjoyed the autobiographical essays and reviews, but even I could tell that the section on nomadism is just one giant [citation needed] disaster, and I don't even know all that much about nomads.
Adele
Bruce Chatwin's short stories are just magic. His sense of place and quiet but engrossing descriptions take you and place you in the rooms, walk you through the landscapes and at times take your breath away.
Ted
Not my favorite collection of Chatwin's, but it has its gems. Notable are the treatises on nomads and walking, his specialty, in my mind.
RunRachelRun
As a child whose family wandered all over the world, the title just resonates.
Rob
beautiful pictures; shows chatwin's superb qaulities as photographer.
Paloma Etienne
Chatwin is restless. You'll want to shoot after this and take off
robxyz
Jim Potchen M.D.
Jim Potchen M.D. marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Marc Faoite
Marc Faoite marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • Patagonia Express
  • Travels with Herodotus
  • Sun After Dark: Flights Into the Foreign
  • Mani: Travels in the Southern Peloponnese
  • The Condé Nast Traveler Book of Unforgettable Journeys: Great Writers on Great Places
  • Thinking in Jazz: The Infinite Art of Improvisation
  • Reaching Up for Manhood: Transforming the Lives of Boys in America
  • Skating To Antarctica
  • Social Ecology and Communalism
  • Intimate Relationships
Charles Bruce Chatwin was an English novelist and travel writer. He won the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for his novel On the Black Hill (1982). In 1972, Chatwin interviewed the 93-year-old architect and designer Eileen Gray in her Paris salon, where he noticed a map of the area of South America called Patagonia, which she had painted. "I've always wanted to go there," Bruce told her. "So have ...more
More about Bruce Chatwin...
In Patagonia The Songlines On The Black Hill Utz What Am I Doing Here?

“[...] I will go to France, to Yugoslavia, to China and continue my profession.'
'As sanitary engineer?'
'No, Monsieur. As adventurer. I will see all the peoples and all the countries in the world.”
3 likes
“The usual run of children's books left me cold, and at the age of six I decided to write a book of my own. I managed the first line, 'I am a swallow.' Then I looked up and asked, 'How do you spell telephone wires?” 2 likes