Start by marking “Jo MacDonald Had a Garden” as Want to Read:
Jo MacDonald Had a Garden

Jo MacDonald Had a Garden (Jo MacDonald)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Old MacDonald had a ... garden? Yes! Sing along with young Jo MacDonald as she grows healthy food for people and wild creatures. E-I-E-I-O! Find out how butterflies, bumblebees, and birds help a garden to thrive - and how you can help them too. And keep an eye on one mysterious plant. What will it become? Youngsters learn about garden ecosystems and stewardship through thi ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Dawn Publications

To ask other readers questions about Jo MacDonald Had a Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jo MacDonald Had a Garden

The Curious Garden by Peter  BrownMiss Rumphius by Barbara CooneyThe Gardener by Sarah StewartPlanting a Rainbow by Lois EhlertMy Garden by Kevin Henkes
Picture Books About Gardens
67th out of 175 books — 97 voters
Blue on Blue by Dianne WhiteLast Stop on Market Street by Matt de la PenaZ Is for Moose by Kelly BinghamGrandfather Gandhi by Arun GandhiInfinity and Me by Kate Hosford
VCFA Picture Books
51st out of 167 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Wayne S.
Mar 17, 2012 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing
If you had a garden, what would you plant in it? Or if you do have one, what do you plant? First, we all know that “Old MacDonald had a farm.” Then we found out that on this farm his granddaughter Jo MacDonald Saw Pond. Now, Jo plants, tends, and harvests a garden on her grandfather’s farm, with help from her cousin Mike. So Mary Quattlebaum’s cute text, following the rhythm and tune of the well-known song, and Laura J. Bryant’s adorable water-color illustrations which accompany it, will acquain ...more
Kristi Bernard
Apr 17, 2012 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing
Planting a garden can provide food for people and animals. Birds, insects and other creatures can settle down in a safe Eco-friendly environment that children can be proud of. Children will also love watching their newly planted garden sprout to life. Children can read along and sing a song to the tune of “Old McDonald Had A Farm” with Jo, the granddaughter of Old McDonald, and her friend. Young readers and parents too, will clap their hands and tap their toes while watching the progress of the ...more
Miranda
Jan 16, 2014 Miranda rated it it was amazing
This is such a hoot to read. My four and six year olds love it.

It has wonderful artwork throughout the pages and the story is SO cute. My kids giggle and laugh every single time we read it.

It's a bedtime favorite at our household.
Beverly
May 03, 2014 Beverly rated it liked it
This book works around a simple concept: take the tune of a traditional folk song and put one's own words to it to make it new. So the "Old MacDonald" song works well for the new "Jo MacDonald" song. The illustrations are large enough to share with a group of children and this book would be fun to sing to a group. In addition to the simple story of growing and harvesting a garden, the author includes extended activities at the end of the book, which make it useful also for classroom teachers and ...more
Tasha
Nov 30, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Celebrate gardening with this cheery picture book that features Old MacDonald’s granddaughter, Jo MacDonald. The verses here are set to the same music as the original, except this time it’s all about planting a garden rather than the animals on a farm. In the garden there is some sun, some soil, a worm, seeds, water, animals, plants, and then food! Watching the illustrations, children will see the garden take shape and then watch the plants grow until they are ready to be harvested.

Quattlebaum
Kris Odahowski
Aug 20, 2015 Kris Odahowski rated it liked it
Looking for lyrical read aloud which promotes going green, Jo MacDonald Had a Garden is for you. I just can imagine sharing this books with young children, lots of great hand gestures to do, "pick pick here" and a flit flit here. Check it out here-http://tinyurl.com/ougzszb
Jenny
Jun 05, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
I thought this was cute and clever, but about half way through my 6 year old announced, "This is getting boring! Aren't you done yet?" The repetitive nature of the song did not appeal to her after a couple of verses...perhaps a couple of years ago she would have enjoyed it.
Pam
Jul 01, 2015 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A twist on the Old MacDonald Had a Farm song for young children. Cute, playful illustrations accompany the rhythmical text. Nice information in the back on a garden community, activities to do indoors with plants, and other information for young gardeners.
Rosa
Aug 04, 2012 Rosa rated it it was ok
I was so excited by the idea of this one when I first ordered it. I liked the idea of Old MacDonald's Daughter getting a song. Unfortunately it just felt a little too long and a little too repetitive for me, most likely b/c I couldn't stop myself from singing it in my head and I usually stop at 4 animals.

I will admit that it felt like a nice way to present the information, the illustrations were very nice and I liked the informational/reading guide section in the back. I'm thinking of trying to
Karen
Mar 09, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
I love this new twist on an old classic. My six-year-old son was less impressed because farm noises are so much more fun that garden noises. The illustrations were adorably perfect.
Amanda
Aug 29, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
The rhythm was a little of to match the "Old MacDonald" tune. However, I made it work for a garden themed storytime.
Mary Lee
A new take on the Old MacDonald farm rhyme follows a garden through the seasons.
Jessica
May 31, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Great variation on the song!
Karen
Jul 07, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A great picture book to engage children when read to the tune of "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" and adding simple actions to suit the story. Full of charming and colorful illustrations showing planting, watering, and other garden activities. The book also includes terms, activites, and resources for young gardeners. Toddlers and preschoolers at my library storytime really enjoyed interacting with the story and learning how to tend a garden.
Sam
Aug 07, 2014 Sam rated it liked it
Old MacDonald (of E-I-E-I-O fame) has a garden, not just a farm. And on that farm he had a little girl, her name was Jo and she loves to tend the garden throughout all the seasons.
Cute, I really liked this little girl and her diligence to her garden. I also really enjoyed this story, it would be so great for a read-aloud for young readers.
Samantha
Apr 24, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing
A gardening twist on a favorite children's song. Text begs to be sung and even opens itself up to sing-along actions. Very well done! Illustrations match the text well. Great read aloud. Can't wait to share this with a group of kids.

Lots of back matter here: indoor activities, gardening tips, suggested websites and nature books, as well as discussion about the arden community.
♥ Amanda
May 07, 2012 ♥ Amanda rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! I was trying to come up with a way to get my 3 yr old interested in helping me plant some veggies and flowers, and I believe this book piqued her interest more than if I would've just brought the idea up on my own! She of course knows the song, and now sings it every time we check on our "harvest" . I need to find more books like this!
Michael
Dec 31, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Really liked the twist on Old MacDonald, first for being a female main character, and second for extending the idea to other areas of farming! Using verbs was a great substitute for animal noises. My 3 year old stopped me on the first verse, saying it wasn't right, but once I explained that it was a different version she really seemed to get into it.
Shelli
Apr 20, 2012 Shelli rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Such a fun read aloud/sing along on this version of Old MacDonald. Not to mention informative; which is all us big people enjoy having in books. Teaching something in a fun way without being obviously educational is challenging, Mary Quattlebaum did that perfectly in this picture book.
Mommywest
Jul 01, 2013 Mommywest rated it it was amazing
Super-cute book about a girl who grows a beautiful flower and veggie garden--all to the tune of "Old MacDonald." The story follows Jo and her helpers through all four seasons, and demonstrates, in a fun way, plant life cycles, where food comes from, and the principle of the harvest.
Paula
Jul 05, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
In this version of the classic song "Old MacDonald Had a Farm," the farmer's granddaughter plants a garden which provides a place for birds, insects, and other wild creatures to shelter and nest. Backmatter presents facts and activities related to this lively ecosystem.
Susan
Jul 17, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Looking forward to trying this one with a group of 4-5 year olds at an organic farm talk. Great feel to the pages and should be a great launch-point for discussing how anyone can and should tend some soil.
CFAITC
Learn about Jo McDonald's garden and the different insects and animals that help her garden thrive in this variation of "Old MacDonald Had a Farm."
Edward Sullivan
"Old MacDonald Had a Farm" is playfully adapted to explain gardening to young readers.
Jenn
Apr 24, 2013 Jenn rated it it was amazing
This book actually got me to sing (such as it is) to one of my story time groups.
Trang
Apr 18, 2012 Trang rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Grades k-2. Life cycles of plants. Seasonal changes.
Madison
Apr 30, 2013 Madison rated it it was amazing
-To the tune of Old MacDonald -Graden
Dana
Dec 26, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Sweet variation. Fun to sing!
Kelsey Yates
Dec 18, 2012 Kelsey Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Cute
Maryanne Lucas
Maryanne Lucas rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016