Start by marking “Jean-Baptiste Cléry: Eyewitness to Louis XVI & Marie-Antoinette's Nightmare” as Want to Read:
Jean-Baptiste Cléry: Eyewitness to Louis XVI & Marie-Antoinette's Nightmare

Read Book

Jean-Baptiste Cléry: Eyewitness to Louis XVI & Marie-Antoinette's Nightmare

KIRKUS REVIEWS: Bashor presents a blow-by-blow telling of the tribulations valet Jean-Baptiste Cléry endured in the service of King Louis XVI. The author quickly makes it clear where his sympathies lie, framing Cléry’s life as “one of the most moving
and tragic stories in history.”

This biography of JEAN-BAPTISTE CLÉRY exposes the inner struggles of the young servant who ser
Published December 27th 2011 by Diderot Press

To ask other readers questions about Jean-Baptiste Cléry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jean-Baptiste Cléry

Conny
Jun 09, 2012 Conny rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was fortunate enough to have been a first reads winner and I have to say it was a fascinating and sad read of the nightmare the royal family had to endure during their last years alive. It was told from the perspective of their faithful servant Clery. I have read accounts of the french revolution before but never with the added human dimension of an eyewitness. My heart goes out especially to the young dauphin who had to suffer so cruelly. I highly recommend this book for any history lovers.
Mandy
Apr 13, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2012
A very interesting account of this period of France's history. Told from the viewpoint of Jean Baptiste Clery, who remained with the Royal Family to the end. It is sympathetic to the Royal Family, and it is impossible not to feel sad as we read the cruelty meted out.

A very interesting piece for anyone who loves Royalty.
Debbie Thurlo
Apr 10, 2012 Debbie Thurlo rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Very interesting story! It's hard to imagine anyone volunteering to go to prison just to serve a royal family. This is a look at the lives of King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette, from the inside, that is never told. I didn't know what happened to their children, and now I do. Very nicely written.

I won this book in the Goodreads First Read giveaway.
Rick F.
Mar 13, 2012 Rick F. rated it it was amazing
VERY FACINATING!! An extremely well written account of a stunning period in history- Mr. Bashor has managed to find a new view on an oft told topic- and it is a winner in every sense- WELL DONE!!!!
Andrea
Mar 09, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ebooks
I downloaded this ebook for free through the Goodreads site.

I didn't know what to expect, after all it could have been a really dry and formal text, but in fact I found it a pleasure to read at the start. It was very interesting to view the French Revolution from a point of view that was neither the royalty nor the rebels, but rather the servants, a group of people often overlooked.

I also enjoy learning not just about the big events, but of the daily lives. Here we learn how the servants were tr
Kathy
Jun 09, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, history
All in all a sad and engaging book that does seem to lay to rest any concerns about the fidelity of Clery to his royal masters, and which makes vivid the sufferings of royalty during the revolution. Bashor has certainly chosen his side, and he sticks to it. There are a number of points in which Bashor speculates in a sort of novelistic way about what Clery or another person may have been thinking or doing (smelling lilacs in the garden, enjoying the view, worrying about one's family) at a given ...more
Nash Bork
Mar 16, 2013 Nash Bork rated it liked it
This is based on a Goodreads giveaway.

This was a decent read giving a somewhat new dimension to the story of the French Revolution. I read this book after reading several books about the French Revolution; A Place of Greater Safety, The Days of the French Revolution, and Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution. This may have influenced my opinion of Mr. Bashor's book. I may have found it more enjoyable if I had read it on its own.
Peanut
Jun 01, 2012 Peanut rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won this book on goodreads from their goodreads first reads giveaways and its was by far one of the best history books I have read! It was easy to read and understand and no odd wording. The only reason I didn't give a 5 star rating was because of some date inversions.(Instead of 1793 it would be 1973) But over all a very good book that i would recommend to anyone.
H. Will Bashor
Jan 09, 2012 H. Will Bashor rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story that adds a human dimension to the history of the French Revolution that most readers will not know. (Promenade Magazine, Phyllis Singer, Ed.)
SoundofSilence_BookFan
Aug 06, 2016 SoundofSilence_BookFan rated it it was amazing
I began following Will Bashor on goodreads after falling in love with his unique snapshot of Versailles in hisbook on Marie-Antoinette's hair dresser. I saw this book on his feed and on Amazon Prime (I have since bought it). This book is a must read for anyone interested in French royalty, their court and the revolution. This is not another repetitive biography.

This book has the details that most treat as a brief intermission, of a few paragraphs, between the two 'interesting' acts - the hedonis
Janelle
I was lucky enough to be one of the First Read winners from Goodreads for this book. Overall, it is a very compelling and sad story about the life and death of the royal family. I thought that the author did a good job at being a story teller and trying to not only give Clery's side of the story but also the various royal family's as well. I was rather confused at times with the way the author presented events. In multiple cases, he would repeat word for word what he said in reference to an even ...more
Sarah Wagner
Jun 08, 2012 Sarah Wagner rated it it was ok
I have consistently been attempting to read this book for more than a book & I'm finally giving up. To be fair, this is likely somewhat due to the weird e-book format I got the book in. On the other side of things, the writing sort of failed to engage me and convince me that Clery is a figure I should know about to better understand Louis XVI and the French Revolution. The details about servant life and how one had to rise the ranks are interesting, of course, but they could have been presen ...more
Rotten
Rotten rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2012
Leah Brown
Leah Brown rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2012
Byron L. Kuhn, Jr.
Byron L. Kuhn, Jr. rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Anna Marie
Anna Marie rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Louis A
Louis A rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2017
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2012
Juan Carlos
Juan Carlos rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2015
Precious Startasha Barnes
Precious Startasha Barnes rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
S
S rated it really liked it
May 03, 2013
Will Bashor
Jan 06, 2014 Will Bashor rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
C
C rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Dawn Wells
Dawn Wells rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2013
French Revolution 1 8 Jan 10, 2012 04:27PM
  • The One Thing More
  • My Lady Scandalous: The Amazing Life and Outrageous Times of Grace Dalrymple Elliott, Royal Courtesan
  • Marie Antoinette: The Last Queen of France
  • In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the Price They Paid for Glory
  • Milady Charlotte
  • The Queen and the Courtesan
  • Tudor England
  • Marie-Thérèse, Child of Terror: The Fate of Marie Antoinette's Daughter
  • Charlotte & Leopold: The True Story of The Original People's Princess
  • The Boleyns: The Rise  Fall of a Tudor Family
  • Farewell, My Queen
  • The Queen Mother: The Untold Story of Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, Who Became Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
  • Madame de Pompadour: Mistress of France
  • A Scented Palace: The Secret History of Marie Antoinette's Perfumer
  • After the Fact: The Surprising Fates of American History's Heroes, Villains, and Supporting Characters
  • Liberty: The Lives and Times of Six Women in Revolutionary France
  • We All Wore Stars: Memories of Anne Frank from Her Classmates
  • When the World Spoke French

“Il n'est pas nécessaire de vivre.
Il est nécessaire de naviguer.”
6 likes