Start by marking “Jean-Baptiste Cléry: Eyewitness to Louis XVI & Marie-Antoinette's Nightmare” as Want to Read:
Jean-Baptiste Cléry: Eyewitness to Louis XVI & Marie-Antoinette's Nightmare
Preview
Read Book

Jean-Baptiste Cléry: Eyewitness to Louis XVI & Marie-Antoinette's Nightmare

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  10 reviews
KIRKUS REVIEWS: Bashor presents a blow-by-blow telling of the tribulations valet Jean-Baptiste Cléry endured in the service of King Louis XVI. The author quickly makes it clear where his sympathies lie, framing Cléry’s life as “one of the most moving
and tragic stories in history.”

This biography of JEAN-BAPTISTE CLÉRY exposes the inner struggles of the young servant who ser
Published December 27th 2011 by Diderot Press

To ask other readers questions about Jean-Baptiste Cléry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jean-Baptiste Cléry

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankA Distant Mirror by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Life of Elizabeth I by Alison WeirThe Wars of the Roses by Alison WeirThe Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir
European History
98th out of 377 books — 61 voters
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska OrczyA Place of Greater Safety by Hilary MantelMadame Tussaud by Michelle MoranMarie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser
The French Revolution
86th out of 141 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Conny
I was fortunate enough to have been a first reads winner and I have to say it was a fascinating and sad read of the nightmare the royal family had to endure during their last years alive. It was told from the perspective of their faithful servant Clery. I have read accounts of the french revolution before but never with the added human dimension of an eyewitness. My heart goes out especially to the young dauphin who had to suffer so cruelly. I highly recommend this book for any history lovers.
Debbie Thurlo
Very interesting story! It's hard to imagine anyone volunteering to go to prison just to serve a royal family. This is a look at the lives of King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette, from the inside, that is never told. I didn't know what happened to their children, and now I do. Very nicely written.

I won this book in the Goodreads First Read giveaway.
Mandy
A very interesting account of this period of France's history. Told from the viewpoint of Jean Baptiste Clery, who remained with the Royal Family to the end. It is sympathetic to the Royal Family, and it is impossible not to feel sad as we read the cruelty meted out.

A very interesting piece for anyone who loves Royalty.
Rick F.
VERY FACINATING!! An extremely well written account of a stunning period in history- Mr. Bashor has managed to find a new view on an oft told topic- and it is a winner in every sense- WELL DONE!!!!
Andrea
I downloaded this ebook for free through the Goodreads site.

I didn't know what to expect, after all it could have been a really dry and formal text, but in fact I found it a pleasure to read at the start. It was very interesting to view the French Revolution from a point of view that was neither the royalty nor the rebels, but rather the servants, a group of people often overlooked.

I also enjoy learning not just about the big events, but of the daily lives. Here we learn how the servants were tr
Janelle Stavig
I was lucky enough to be one of the First Read winners from Goodreads for this book. Overall, it is a very compelling and sad story about the life and death of the royal family. I thought that the author did a good job at being a story teller and trying to not only give Clery's side of the story but also the various royal family's as well. I was rather confused at times with the way the author presented events. In multiple cases, he would repeat word for word what he said in reference to an even ...more
Nash Bork
This is based on a Goodreads giveaway.

This was a decent read giving a somewhat new dimension to the story of the French Revolution. I read this book after reading several books about the French Revolution; A Place of Greater Safety, The Days of the French Revolution, and Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution. This may have influenced my opinion of Mr. Bashor's book. I may have found it more enjoyable if I had read it on its own.
Peanut
Won this book on goodreads from their goodreads first reads giveaways and its was by far one of the best history books I have read! It was easy to read and understand and no odd wording. The only reason I didn't give a 5 star rating was because of some date inversions.(Instead of 1793 it would be 1973) But over all a very good book that i would recommend to anyone.
Kathy
All in all a sad and engaging book that does seem to lay to rest any concerns about the fidelity of Clery to his royal masters, and which makes vivid the sufferings of royalty during the revolution. Bashor has certainly chosen his side, and he sticks to it. There are a number of points in which Bashor speculates in a sort of novelistic way about what Clery or another person may have been thinking or doing (smelling lilacs in the garden, enjoying the view, worrying about one's family) at a given ...more
H. Will Bashor
Fascinating story that adds a human dimension to the history of the French Revolution that most readers will not know. (Promenade Magazine, Phyllis Singer, Ed.)
Rakesh Muthyala
Rakesh Muthyala marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Sarah Stepan
Sarah Stepan marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Saqib
Saqib added it
Feb 22, 2015
Lara Delynde
Lara Delynde marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Rarakki Is Revathi
Rarakki Is Revathi marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Germclaughlin
Germclaughlin marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Nishru
Nishru marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Linda Schaeber
Linda Schaeber marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Trippe
Trippe marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Carina
Carina marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Becky
Becky added it
Aug 07, 2014
Paddy
Paddy added it
Jul 16, 2014
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
French Revolution 1 8 Jan 10, 2012 04:27PM
  • The Kings' Mistresses: The Liberated Lives of Marie Mancini, Princess Colonna, and Her Sister Hortense, Duchess Mazarin
  • Marie Antoinette: The Last Queen of France
  • A Scented Palace: The Secret History of Marie Antoinette's Perfumer
  • My Lady Scandalous: The Amazing Life and Outrageous Times of Grace Dalrymple Elliott, Royal Courtesan
  • The One Thing More
  • Farewell, My Queen
  • The Forbidden Best-Sellers of Pre-Revolutionary France
  • The Private Realm of Marie Antoinette
  • Liberty: The Lives and Times of Six Women in Revolutionary France
  • When the King Took Flight
  • In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the Price They Paid for Glory
  • The Road to Compiegne (French Revolution, #2)
  • The Queen Mother: The Untold Story of Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, Who Became Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
  • Ambition and Desire: The Dangerous Life of Josephine Bonaparte
  • Madame de Pompadour: Mistress of France
  • Versailles: A Biography of a Palace
  • Mary Tudor: A Life
  • Nell Gwyn: Mistress to a King
Marie Antoinette's Head: The Royal Hairdresser, the Queen, and the Revolution Red Flag on the Moon: The Screenplay

“Il n'est pas nécessaire de vivre.
Il est nécessaire de naviguer.”
4 likes