Start by marking “Horses of the Sun (Outback Riders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Horses of the Sun (Outback Riders, #1)

Horses of the Sun (Outback Riders #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Sunhaven Downs, a drought ravaged cattle station in outback Australia, is the home of Dane, Lani and Matthew Winter, three young outback riders whose lives revolve around their horses. When their city cousin, Amy King, comes to live with them for a year and declares she hates horses, they know their year will be ruined. What they don't know is that Amy has a secret - a sec ...more
Published December 10th 2011 by CreateSpace (first published November 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Horses of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horses of the Sun

Emilie
Mar 11, 2012 Emilie added it
Shelves: giveaways
Won this copy from GoodReads Giveaways :)

I returned to childhood while reading this book. When I was around 12 all I did was reading stories about horses, because they were awesome and the only thing worth reading about.

Okay so I dropped that the older I got. I'm not even a horse person anymore, I think that disappeared when I was 16. Nevertheless horses will always be special creatures.

Anyway, when I started reading this book it came to me quickly that it was a book I would have read if I wa
Rose Cimarron
I read this delightful book in an afternoon. I thought it was well written, although the "she didn't realise that she would need this when disater struck" comments at the end of each of the early chapters was a little annoying. The plot moved along nicely with most of the actions staying within the bounds of reality. I found some of the "epilogue" actions a little unlikely, but hey, it all felt good!

This is exactly to sort of book I devoured as a child and I'm sure will be loved by today's child
Norma M.
One of the best stories I've read in a long time. Living in an area that often talks about the Brown Mountain Lights (North Carolina, USA) I found it interesting that Australia has something similar :-)
Tanya
Good for teenagers, but heavy parts, so best to know the maturity of a younger reader and if they can handle grief. Reinforces the value of family and the message of showing your love for others because life can be too short.

Not planning to continue the series, though if I were horse-crazy, I could see the appeal. I read this for the animal challenge (goal to read six stories with an animal in the title).
Elaine
I didn't realize this was written for young adults. I just thought the blurb I read on it sounded interesting. I LOVED it. The story takes place in Australia and centers around a young girl that is sent to live with her aunt in the outback and doesn't want to be there. Interesting how the story unfolds. I was disappointed that it was so short.
Anne
Dane, Lani, and Matthew live on a ranch in Australia. They are horse crazy. When their cousin Amy comes to stay with them, they don't know what to do with her snobby city attitude and apparent hatred of horses. When disaster strikes, they must all pull together though.

Fun read, especially if you do like horses.
Valerie
The book, although mildly entertaining, was aimed at a much younger target audience than I first anticipated. The story line was a bit too predictable with a "happily ever after" type of ending. When are writers going to realize life is not like that and it's okay for a book to end on a sad note?
Janet Best
My favourite books are those about horses which are written by people who actually understand horses (very annoying to have non-horse people write about them). My children loved this one and I enjoyed it too. Well written and exciting.
Cristine Strickland
Read as a preview for my eight year old daughter. Found it an acceptable read for that age. No language or sexual situations.
Betty Macy
I agree that the youth crowd will love this book and adults will also enjoy it, particularly the horse lovers.
Beth Erwin
Although classified as YA fiction, I enjoyed the story and the characters. This was a good night's read.
Kathleen Trainor
It was a very good short story. One I wanted to finish all in one sitting.. Tear jerker horse story.
Cathy
Excellent storyline and fast moving. It involved horses -what more can you ask for?
Kath
Great read. This would be excellent for the horse crazy teen or preteen.
Donna
Nice but better for young readers.
Nikki
D2jump
D2jump added it
Feb 06, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Wendy Dwight
Wendy Dwight marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Niamh
Niamh marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Alesia
Alesia marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Alaskan Hearts
  • Alice Parker's Metamorphosis (Alice Parker, #1)
  • Salsa Invertebraxa
  • Snakes
  • The Haunted Grove
  • Safe at Home: A Novel
  • Muskie Attack (Up North Adventures #1)
  • Doll Parts
  • Spirit Horses
  • The First Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #1)
  • Catastrophically Consequential
  • A Horse Called September
  • Renegade (Devoncroix Dynasty, #3)
  • Coffee at Little Angels
  • Hound Dog Blues
  • Whale Song
  • Running Wide Open (Full Throttle, #1)
  • Bone Machine
Horses Of The Light (The Outback Riders) Horses Of The Sun AND Horses Of The Light (The Outback Riders (volumes 1 & 2)) Flame the Fire Horse and Other Horse Stories You Look Worried - Inspiring and Helpful Advice for Teenagers (Good Advice) Champagne And Pearl Genetics Made Simple (Equine Colour Genetics Made Simple)