Start by marking “Tears of the Moon” as Want to Read:

Two inspiring journeys.

Two unforgettable women.

One amazing story.

BROOME, AUSTRALIA, 1893.
It's the wild and passionate heyday of the pearling industry, and when young English bride Olivia Hennessy meets the dashing pearling master, Captain Tyndall, their lives are destined to be linked by the mysterious power of the pearl.

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, 1995
Lily Barton embarks on a sear
Published January 6th 2012 by Macmillan Australia (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Tears of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tears of the Moon

Jill
I loved this book and think it would make a great TV mini series. A good mix of history, romance and adventure.
SaraJean
Hey, look, a book I did not buy for a quarter at a used book sale! Instead, this was a hand-me-down from a friend getting rid of books before a move (something which I know absolutely nothing about). The overarching story--a woman goes on a journey to find her past, reads her great-grandmother's diary, and learns more about herself than she though she could--is pretty standard but fairly enjoyable. The downside, however, is that Lily's story of discovery is confined to one hundred pages at the b ...more
Karen O'Brien-Hall
Losing your Mother marks the time when you are a woman in your own right; perhaps a time for reflection; a reminder of your own mortality or a time to start a new journey. Going through her deceased Mother’s papers, Lily discovers a string of magnificent pearls with a beautiful, unusual pendant. Among the photos and other memorabilia of her Mother’s life, she also finds a photo of a man in vintage clothes, looking a little like an old fashioned sailing master – but who is he?

Lily puts the pearls
T-max
Mary Lello
I think this is what my sister calls "Popcorn Reading", summer time, easy read, not well written (at times darn right awful!) BUT ... it was a great story and definitely sucked me in. Took it on a vacation and found I wanted to get back to it, sit in bed in the morning with coffee and read, read, read. SO ... I guess I have to say I really liked it.
Karen Donnellan
Loved it! This is the third book I've read by this author. Again, another book based on research - this time on the pearling town of Broome. I didn't know that Broome was bombed by the Japanese in WWII. Story of a woman going thru a suitcase left by her recently deceased mother, she doesn't know anything of her family history and found a photo of a man with'Broome 1910' on the reverse. She decides to go there to find out more. When she arrives she goes to various places and meets locals, then sh ...more
Kimberley
I loved reading this book, it is about one of my favourite places. It includes a good dose of history of the area, is a bit romantic with a few unexpected turns, and is an easy read. It is a book that makes me smile when I think of it, and will probably re-read when the time is right. But it is not rocket science, just some fun.

I think this would be my favourite Di Morrissey book thus far. Most likely as I could relate to the location and history from the outset, and I was transported back to th
Velma
Morrissey is at her best as she writes about pearl harvesting based out from Broome. The plot takes interesting twists and turns as the romantic affairs of several characters unfold. The multicultural nature of Broome and the early intervention of caucasians into Australia are captured through the relationships of the characters and the descriptions of places. Well worth reading and rereading.
Julie inkpen
A good story with history

thoroughly enjoyed this book. The history of the pearling industry and Broome was fascinating. The characters and their struggles and connections added to the story as well as the effect of world war 1 and 2, the depression, aboriginal family heritage etc. made good reading!
Donna Nicoll
This is a fantastic story set against the background of the pearling industry in Broome Western Australia. A love story and a historical epic. I think this is her best book!
Sally
Wonderful story that takes us into the heart if the pearling industry history and bring us great characters to become part of our reading lives.
I loved it, I've loaned it to friends to read and never get it back. So I've ordered it 2-3 times so I can read it again
Amanda
Very long, sweeping historical novel about pearling in early 20th century Australia. Divided between modern times and the early 1900's, this book is flowery, overly-descriptive, and an epic soap opera of sorts. I skimmed a lot of it. Most of the story revolved around Olivia Hennessy and her extreme longing for John Tyndall, an Indiana Jones-esque pearl diver. Drama ensues, including multi-sided love quadrangles, illegitimate children, long-lost reunions, dead-then-alive scenarios and more.
Julia
Loved learning more about Broome and its history.
Nicky Gates
I got most of the way through it but wasn't enjoying it, and then there was a series of really unlikely coincidences, and I decided to just stop reading any more.
Bron
Di Morrissey swept me back to the turn of the 20th Century in Broome, and details life of settlers in the pearl industry with great detail. This story follows the life of Olivia, who moves to Australia as a newly wed, and watches the trials and tribulations of Olivia and her family over the years in such a way that it brought moments of tears and joy to me as I listened.

The audiobook reader was just perfect for this recording!
Jupiter6270
This was the first book that I had ever read where I knew it was crap. I am sorry to the people who liked it. But it was totally unbelievable. How can so many bad things happen to one person? Every person she knew died...totally crazy. I was around 14 when I read it, and I totally remember sitting on my bed as I was finishing the book. When I finished the last page i remember rolling my eyes at how absurd it was.
Cathleen
Morrissey does an excellent job of framing this book which is mainly set in flashback. The balance between the present main character and the characters of the flashback is done smoothly and without confusion. When I would attempt to write about the past when my main speaker is set in the present I tend to leave the reader wondering about the present. This book connects the two appropriately and successfully.
Wendy
Yes, there were some all too convenient relationship developments but the story is beautiful and beautifully told. The history of the early pearling industry in Australian is detailed with successes and heartbreaks. The story also details the prejudices and acceptances of many races learning to live together. I was anxious to know the ending and hated when the story was finished.
Ann-marie O'brien
An interesting read with a few ridiculous turns to the plot. Learnt a lot about the history of Broome.
Karen Fraser
A good read. Great characters and all tied together in a lovely story. I enjoyed this book.
Kellie Hunt
I have read everyone of Di's books and this is by far my favourite! Having lived in Broome after reading this book, I found Di's portrayal of the pearling town as not too far from the truth. The captivating writing style makes me want to read it all over again!
Karren
Loved this book. I find it interesting to read about Broome and Darwin's multicultural heritage in the late 1800s. What a page turner - I tend to enjoy this type of historical fiction. I thought it a clever way to tell the story, by Lily's discovery of her past
Virginia
I read this on the recommendation of an Australian friend. It was very good for the history of north-west Australia. However, the "epic" love story was a bit overdone--too many convenient occurrences.
Julie Neale Taylor
This is one of my favorite books ever!! The start is slow and boring but once you get past it, the story is totally engrossing. I was very sad when it was over. And the follow-up is not all that good :(
Wendi
This is one of my favorite stories. I have read this novel more than once and each time it offers something new. I highly recommend!
Lindsey Warnes
I have read most of her books and have enjoyed them all. Specially enjoyed the Kimberley ones as you can really feel what she writes about.
Jan
I so loved reading this book, this is one of the best Di Morrissey books I have read so far. I was sad to finish this one.
AndreaL
It was a good read, but not a page turner. Let's just say I was thrilled and disappointed by the book at the same time.
  • Territory
  • The Cattleman's Daughter
  • The Sunburnt Country
  • Queen of the Road
  • The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots
  • Thorn on the Rose
  • Silver Clouds
  • Wings of Fear (Formerly Border Watch)
  • North Star
  • Saving Grace
  • Man Drought
  • Lyrebird Hill
Di Morrissey (born 18 March 1948 in Wingham, New South Wales) is one of Australia's most popular female novelists. She grew up in the remote surrounds of Pittwater, north of Sydney, Australia.

Growing up she counted famous Australian actor Chips Rafferty as a close mentor and friend who helped provide for her and her mother after the death of her father as a child, sending them overseas to Californ
More about Di Morrissey...
The Plantation Barra Creek The Reef Monsoon Kimberley Sun