Start by marking “The Reef” as Want to Read:
The Reef

The Reef

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  452 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
THE NATIONAL BESTSELLER WITH MORE THAN 100,000 COPIES SOLD IN TRADE PAPERBACK

On a small coral cay on the Great Barrier Reef two communities come together in an uneasy alliance: a tourist resort and a scientific research station.

At first glance, the island is a sexy resort, a naturalist's dream, a diver's delight. But the island holds secrets and dangers as Jennifer Towse s
Published January 6th 2012 by Macmillan Australia (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Reef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reef

Deborah Ideiosepius
Jennifer grew up on a farm in the outback until tragedy took her father and brother when she was a child. After this her bitter and difficult mother uproots her from the farm and takes her to a small rural town to grow up, a location Jennifer escapes by going to Uni in Sydney. Before she has finished uni she marries her boyfriend, who works in hospitality and before long is forced to follow him to a gorgeous, remote Great Barrier Reef island when he is given a job managing the eco-friendly, expe ...more
Linda
Jul 05, 2013 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I called this a beach book, One you can read while making sure the children do not drown as I never became connected ( I found the main character painful and weak)
Bronwyn Rykiert
I am finding the last two stories a bit some old, same old. The Islands and this one have a classic case of women marrying the wrong man, someone they have nothing in common with and spend the first half of the story complaining about it. Move on please. Some of Di's stories have been great but I am reluctant to read another in case it has a similar storyline.

You could tell that Jennifer and Blair were not a good match from word go. For me too it got a bit too much into saving the environment wh
Rosie
Aug 24, 2014 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed every minute of this book. Would like a sequel if possible.
Yang Shu-yuan
Die Ökologin Jennifer Towse folgt ihrem ehrgeizigen Mann Blair widerwillig auf eine kleine Urlaubsinsel am Great Barrier Reef, wo dieser die Leitung eines Hotels übernehmen soll. Jennifer fürchtet das Meer, denn als kleines Mädchen musste sie miterleben, wie ihr Vater und ihr Bruder ertrunken sind. Bald nach ihrer Ankunft zeigt sich, dass Blair in üble Machenschaften um das Hotelmanagement verstrickt ist. Noch schwieriger wird die Situation, nachdem Jennifer feststellt, dass sie ein Kind erwarte ...more
Terese Stockdale
Three stars. Yes some of the characters were annoying but they are meant to be. Jennifer is frustrating at the beginning but grows throughout the book. I love the setting of this book being of the island and the reef. I even enjoyed the likeable characters that study and want to preserve it. Although I had to wonder how Jennifer's baby didn't end up with foetal alcohol syndrome with her drinking in the early stages of pregnancy. Good easy light read even though it is predictable.
Billa
Jan 05, 2015 Billa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have been meaning to read a Di Morrissey book for some time just to see what the fuss is about. I bought this one at an op shop while on holiday and having run out of reading material. Lots of things happened in this book much of which was not believable, and the story is shallow and undeveloped. There was a bit of everything and a lot of nothing. A really boring holiday read.
Rianne Marijke
Very likable story. The end drags a little, then suddenly picks up speed and before you know it, it's over. I really wanted to punch some characters in the face, so in that respect Morrissey succeeded.
Jane Baker
Enjoyed this right from the first cover. This novel presents the conflicts experienced by a young girl whose father and brother are drowned on a visit to the beach having been a farming family and that of her mother. The mother is possessive. The young girl marries a young man in the hope of a better life only to find he is ambitious to get ahead rather than accommodate her growing desire to be a Marine Biologist. This scenario takes place on a lovely island in Queensland where all seems idealic ...more
Liz Phillips
May 16, 2014 Liz Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated 4 for a holiday read, probably a bit generous but seemed appropriate given I read it in Bali by the beach
Deirdre Roworth
Ran out of steam halfway. Interesting beginning and then the story became hard work.
Ethne Mcleod
Feb 10, 2015 Ethne Mcleod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting
Bron
The Reef is the story of a young girl's maturation process, which just happens to occur on a peaceful resort on the Coral Reef. We watch Jennifer learn to deal with her dominant mother and male chauvenistic husband. Through her new social set, Jennifer realises that although her husband and mother do not believe she should use her studies, or even pursue them further, this is exactly what she would like to do, and her friends help her to achieve her goals.

Not the most exciting of Di Morrissey's
Vicki
Jan 02, 2014 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love audio books, but the value I get out of this format is very much dependant on the narrator. In this case I felt the voice of the main character was very hard to take "Squeaky and high pitched like a little girl instead of a woman in her 20's." Other than that a very enjoyable story. One of her best.
Magicalbookfriend
Es ist ein wunderschönes Buch, was mich von der ersten bis zur letzten Seite sehr fasziniert hat. Ich habe es geliebt, mit Jennifer am Strand entlang zu wandern, ihre abende mit ihren neuen Freunden zu verbringen und zu sehen, ob sie jemals wieder ins Wasser steigt. Denn sie hatte als kleines Mädchen ein traumatisches Erlebnis.
Ein tolles Buch!
Steve Egger
Aug 24, 2015 Steve Egger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Ok story- easy enough to to read, but not one that will stay with me.
Anne
Feb 12, 2012 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a bit disappointed again with Di Morrissey. There is not much excitement or much happening in this story. It was bland and the sort of story that could be shortened to appear in a womens magazine. Won't recommend as one of her better novels.
Bella George
Nov 11, 2012 Bella George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-morrissey
Enjoyed the story, but the main character frustrated me with her weakness and not standing up to her husband and mother. Reading about the reef was interesting.
Paula
Nov 25, 2013 Paula rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish

Can't stand the mother in this book.... Have never read this author before but thought I'd have a go... Don't think I'll bother with it
Jill
It just seemed to go on and on and the characters were a bit painful. Tackled too many issues. Not her best effort.
Els
Surprisingly enjoyable. That sounds mean, but her style is not my favourite. I liked the setting and characters.
Miranda
Aug 06, 2007 Miranda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I actually read the book instead of the audio version. Not that great of a story, kinda leaves you hanging.
Marian
Aug 18, 2012 Marian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
lovely description of the great barrier reef but pretty lousy story line.
Aug 16, 2010 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: stumbled across it at walmart one day
the descriptions were impecable. I can read this book over and over
Gayle
Oct 20, 2010 Gayle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great read particularly for a north queenslander- so real
Ron
Excellent!
  • Heritage
  • The Girl and the Ghost-Grey Mare
  • Wings of Fear
  • Watch The World Burn (Detective Jill Jackson, #4)
  • Sunset Ridge
  • Mallawindy
  • Silver Clouds
Di Morrissey (born 18 March 1948 in Wingham, New South Wales) is one of Australia's most popular female novelists. She grew up in the remote surrounds of Pittwater, north of Sydney, Australia.

Growing up she counted famous Australian actor Chips Rafferty as a close mentor and friend who helped provide for her and her mother after the death of her father as a child, sending them overseas to Californ
More about Di Morrissey...