Start by marking “The Walking Man” as Want to Read:
The Walking Man
Read Book

The Walking Man

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Now and then a story comes along that changes the way you look at life and love, such is the tale of "the walking man." Loosely based on a true story, this novella presents a powerful and original narrative about the value of persistence. Set in a mythical hospital filled with comic characters THE WALKING MAN delivers intense moments laughter and heartbreak within an amazi ...more
Published December 25th 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Man

Carrie Rubin
I don't always download a book promoted to me in a Twitter direct message, but this one offered a free download, so I thought, what the heck, I'll put it on my Kindle. I am so glad I did! It was a wonderfully written, witty, and poignant tale of a quadriplegic and his adjustment to life. If this is a self-published book, it is proof that gems among them exist.
Jeanette Hornby
An engrossing, unusual, sad, yet humorous story that I thoroughly enjoyed. Recommended.
Wendy Cartmell
The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe is meant to help any author, whether they are traditionally published or self-published. This book is designed to encourage and inspire authors in their craft, and give creative ideas that can improve sales and grow an author platform. (Author description)

The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe by Jeff Bennington is another `how to' book for self published authors. But instead of flowery padding and buzz words, here is a book that tells it as it is. It i
Shane
After recently reading Even Steven, I couldn't wait to read more Forbucks and it was with high expectations that I began this book.

A couple of chapters in I wasn't sure if this book would deliver -- in hindsight those chapters were needed to properly set the stage for the rest of the story -- but halfway in the writing style and tone had changed to those that had made me enamored with (or "enamored of" if that is more to your liking) Even Steven.

Forbucks is technical and intelligent without bein
David Clarke
The Walking Man is a no-holds-barred account of a man who became a quadriplegic in his youth, learned how to cope with it but who never gave up believing that his condition could be overcome. Written using a fast-moving, wise-cracking style, Wright Forbucks (why do I suspect that is a pen-name?) displays an unexpectedly strong literary talent. The writing is at the same time sparse yet compelling, detailed where necessary and often outrageously hilarious. Mr Forbucks has managed to put a difficu ...more
Claire
What a great read. On the face of it, when you read that this book is about a teenager who suddenly becomes quadriplegic, you would expect the storyline to be tragic, a bit dark, maybe depressiong but this book it the opposite. In parts it's laugh out loud funny as well assensitive and insightful. The tale unfolds at a steady pace and whislt the ending is unsurprising it is full of hope and inspiration.
I would thoroughly recommend ths book.
J.J. Toner
I probably see 10-20 "read my book" messages a day from/by indie authors. I ignore them for the most part, because I have so little disposable time. I picked up this book on an impulse and read it. It cost me a day when I should have been writing, but it was worth it. The story is a sort of modern fable, a tale of persistence, self-discovery and redemption. It's a novella (42,000 words) and I found it easy to read and quite enjoyable. I gave it 5 stars for the quality of the writing and the dire ...more
Gae-Lynn Woods
A story of inspiration, self-discovery, and remarkable achievement in the face of great odds, THE WALKING MAN had my attention from page one. In spite of the dark nature of this story, I found myself laughing out loud at the stark, no-holds-barred style of this novella’s narrator. The author states that the book is loosely based on a true story, and the characters are too bizarre to be anything but completely drawn from real life.

A fast, very enjoyable read that I highly recommend.
Janet
Well written story of a parapalegic who falls in love with a young woman, and his struggle with unrequited love. Although this could be a depressing book, it made me laugh in many parts. The story deals with many emotions that we all feel and although the ending is pretty far fetched, it leaves you rejoicing. It was a good and quick read.
M. Joseph Murphy
Aug 12, 2013 M. Joseph Murphy marked it as to-read
If you want an example of a great first line, pick this up. It immediately sets tone, scene, and character. All that in the first line. I am not a fan of the cover but get past that to the writing.

After that...hilarious. Fun character who is aware if his racism. Some really nice writing choices.
Kevin Bowser
This was truly an odd one. I am not sure I "buy" the premise and the storyline. But, perhaps that is just me.

You kind of know from the very beginning where this story will end. And that is OK. Because some of the other characters that you meet along the way make it well worth the journey.
Sylvie O'rourke
Humorous but far-fetched. Reads like a biography but as you get into it you realize it is more of a satire. Entertaining but not overly memorable.
Paula

Some foul language. Interesting story of quadriplegic that falls in love with volunteer reader. Quick read.
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Elizabeth Delisle
Elizabeth Delisle is currently reading it
May 04, 2015
Jessica Ann Reno
Jessica Ann Reno marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Red
Red added it
Mar 16, 2015
Jessie Stein
Jessie Stein marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Melissa Spillman
Melissa Spillman marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Mathew Carruthers
Mathew Carruthers marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Shannon Velazquez
Shannon Velazquez marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Wright Forbucks writes dark comic fiction. His works feature a wicked sense of humor and plots involving spiritual quests. In addition to the critically acclaimed, THE WALKING MAN, Mr. Grist has written three other novels, including BILLY GRIST, EVEN STEVEN and THE GENERAL STORE. In addition to writing Mr. Grist is an inventor. He is married and the father of three young boys. He also has a degree ...more
More about Wright Forbucks...
Even Steven Billy Grist The Bone Donor The General Store The Jesus Twin