Start by marking “The Walking Man” as Want to Read:
The Walking Man

Read Book

The Walking Man

Now and then a story comes along that changes the way you look at life and love, such is the tale of "the walking man." Loosely based on a true story, this novella presents a powerful and original narrative about the value of persistence. Set in a mythical hospital filled with comic characters THE WALKING MAN delivers intense moments laughter and heartbreak within an amazi ...more
Published December 25th 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Man

Dec 23, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny
Oh my, what a read! You cannot not read this! From cringeworthy moments, to laugh out loud moments. From moments of giving up, to moments of perseverance.
Love, hate, friendship....

Full review found here.
Jeanette Hornby
An engrossing, unusual, sad, yet humorous story that I thoroughly enjoyed. Recommended.
Wendy Cartmell
Jul 17, 2012 Wendy Cartmell rated it really liked it
The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe is meant to help any author, whether they are traditionally published or self-published. This book is designed to encourage and inspire authors in their craft, and give creative ideas that can improve sales and grow an author platform. (Author description)

The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe by Jeff Bennington is another `how to' book for self published authors. But instead of flowery padding and buzz words, here is a book that tells it as it is. It i
Jan 05, 2014 Shane rated it it was amazing
After recently reading Even Steven, I couldn't wait to read more Forbucks and it was with high expectations that I began this book.

A couple of chapters in I wasn't sure if this book would deliver -- in hindsight those chapters were needed to properly set the stage for the rest of the story -- but halfway in the writing style and tone had changed to those that had made me enamored with (or "enamored of" if that is more to your liking) Even Steven.

Forbucks is technical and intelligent without bein
David Clarke
Nov 10, 2012 David Clarke rated it it was amazing
The Walking Man is a no-holds-barred account of a man who became a quadriplegic in his youth, learned how to cope with it but who never gave up believing that his condition could be overcome. Written using a fast-moving, wise-cracking style, Wright Forbucks (why do I suspect that is a pen-name?) displays an unexpectedly strong literary talent. The writing is at the same time sparse yet compelling, detailed where necessary and often outrageously hilarious. Mr Forbucks has managed to put a difficu ...more
Feb 10, 2016 Mary added it
Shelves: memoir, handicap
teenage boy is inexplicably paralyzed. His family tries to care for him, but tragedy ensues causing the young man to be institutionalized. At Leicester County Hospital, a facility dedicated to excellence in everything it does, our hero learns to deal with his anger, and then finds love when a volunteer stops by to read the New York Times. Despite their spiritual connection, physical desires deter their union forcing 'the walking man' to devise a plan to win back the one he loves...
Jul 14, 2015 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indies
I don't always download a book promoted to me in a Twitter direct message, but this one offered a free download, so I thought, what the heck, I'll put it on my Kindle. I am so glad I did! It was a wonderfully written, witty, and poignant tale of a quadriplegic and his adjustment to life.
Suzanne Morrow
May 19, 2016 Suzanne Morrow rated it liked it
I am just not sure.

It was an interesting book, helpful to have something sort of light to read to distract me a bit from my mother's illness, but still just a little odd. I don't care for the ending, too anticlimactic.
Apr 29, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing
What a great read. On the face of it, when you read that this book is about a teenager who suddenly becomes quadriplegic, you would expect the storyline to be tragic, a bit dark, maybe depressiong but this book it the opposite. In parts it's laugh out loud funny as well assensitive and insightful. The tale unfolds at a steady pace and whislt the ending is unsurprising it is full of hope and inspiration.
I would thoroughly recommend ths book.
J.J. Toner
Jan 14, 2012 J.J. Toner rated it it was amazing
I probably see 10-20 "read my book" messages a day from/by indie authors. I ignore them for the most part, because I have so little disposable time. I picked up this book on an impulse and read it. It cost me a day when I should have been writing, but it was worth it. The story is a sort of modern fable, a tale of persistence, self-discovery and redemption. It's a novella (42,000 words) and I found it easy to read and quite enjoyable. I gave it 5 stars for the quality of the writing and the dire ...more
Gae-Lynn Woods
Mar 16, 2012 Gae-Lynn Woods rated it it was amazing
A story of inspiration, self-discovery, and remarkable achievement in the face of great odds, THE WALKING MAN had my attention from page one. In spite of the dark nature of this story, I found myself laughing out loud at the stark, no-holds-barred style of this novella’s narrator. The author states that the book is loosely based on a true story, and the characters are too bizarre to be anything but completely drawn from real life.

A fast, very enjoyable read that I highly recommend.
Mar 07, 2012 Janet rated it liked it
Well written story of a parapalegic who falls in love with a young woman, and his struggle with unrequited love. Although this could be a depressing book, it made me laugh in many parts. The story deals with many emotions that we all feel and although the ending is pretty far fetched, it leaves you rejoicing. It was a good and quick read.
M. Joseph Murphy
Aug 12, 2013 M. Joseph Murphy marked it as to-read
If you want an example of a great first line, pick this up. It immediately sets tone, scene, and character. All that in the first line. I am not a fan of the cover but get past that to the writing.

After that...hilarious. Fun character who is aware if his racism. Some really nice writing choices.
Kevin Bowser
Jul 17, 2013 Kevin Bowser rated it really liked it
This was truly an odd one. I am not sure I "buy" the premise and the storyline. But, perhaps that is just me.

You kind of know from the very beginning where this story will end. And that is OK. Because some of the other characters that you meet along the way make it well worth the journey.
Sylvie O'rourke
May 29, 2013 Sylvie O'rourke rated it it was ok
Humorous but far-fetched. Reads like a biography but as you get into it you realize it is more of a satire. Entertaining but not overly memorable.
May 10, 2012 Paula rated it liked it

Some foul language. Interesting story of quadriplegic that falls in love with volunteer reader. Quick read.
Mandy rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Cynthia Etten
Cynthia Etten rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Jill Pollnow
Jill Pollnow rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2016
Cath White
Cath White marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
John marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Linda rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Richard Brente
Richard Brente marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Rebecca Zell
Rebecca Zell rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Carol rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Jean Mensinger
Jean Mensinger marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Cheekylala_kindle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Wright Forbucks writes dark comic fiction. His works feature a wicked sense of humor and plots involving spiritual quests. In addition to the critically acclaimed, THE WALKING MAN, Mr. Grist has written three other novels, including BILLY GRIST, EVEN STEVEN and THE GENERAL STORE. In addition to writing Mr. Grist is an inventor. He is married and the father of three young boys. He also has a degree ...more
More about Wright Forbucks...