Start by marking “The Weight of the Nation: Surprising Lessons About Diets, Food, and Fat from the Extraordinary Series from HBO Documentary Films” as Want to Read:

People today work harder and take better care of their health than any previous generation. So how could two-thirds of us fail to measure up when it comes to eating right and exercising? HBO and the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences have joined together to bring you the nation’s foremost experts and definitive research on weight and weight loss. The ...more
Published April 24th 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of the Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weight of the Nation

Sarah H
Mar 02, 2017 Sarah H rated it really liked it
Good info, but certainly nothing new if you're familiar with Michael Pollan's & Mark Bittman's books.
Deb
Sep 26, 2012 Deb rated it liked it
**The skinny on weight loss**

Pardon the pun, but this book provides the skinny on weight loss.

After presenting an overview of the current obesity epidemic (did you know over 2/3 of American adults are either overweight or obese?), the book examines the factors and forces contributing to the expanding of America’s waistline. Chapter by chapter, it shows how our evolutionary history, food choices, body, and brain combined with external forces—including fast food, restaurants, big food companies, s
Holly
Jul 19, 2013 Holly rated it liked it
Being a Weston A. Pricer, I have some disagreements with the authors about what constitutes "healthy" food (for example, I am not on board with their low-fat dairy recommendations) and I most assuredly have some huge worldview disagreements with them as well since their solution to everything is government regulation at every conceivable turn(industry, retailers, consumers, school lunch programs, etc.), and yet I thought they did a great job of distilling lots of research and data regarding heal ...more
Erin
Jun 01, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Quick read; good synopsis of weight/health problems plaguing country. It all boils down to the "eat less, move more" refrain we've all heard before. Tough to execute with desk jobs, classroom goals, and commuting times. However, good reminders throughout including: NEVER eat in front of the t.v., practice *mindful* eating, and don't eat foods with a label (as in, eat bananas, spinach etc. which don't have nutrition labels). If you have a pedometer, just wear that and try to log the 3,000 steps/d ...more
Andrea
Jul 08, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This is a very good book that helps readers to understand why we are having such a health crisis. The message of the book is that we need to "eat a little less and more a little more." A good message but it doesn't even skim the ocean of problems that the authors cover about manufactures of processed foods, fast food availability, etc. I think I need to see the documentary that the book was based on to get a fuller picture. There is so much that we need to do to be more healthy and I think we ne ...more
Arminzerella
This book is based on the documentary series by the same name (so, not a book made into a tv series, but a tv series made into a book, if you're looking at my bookshelves). It summarizes a lot of the current research and thought about obesity, dieting, and nutrition - with which you will probably already be familiar if you've done any other reading/research into this topic. I didn't find anything revolutionary/new here, but it may be a good introduction for someone who is just starting to explor ...more
Lori
Sep 04, 2012 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, audio
Interesting book, some info was not new, and the format was a little repetitive, but there were some things that surprised (and horrified) me! Like the effects of 5 days of bed rest, or 2 nights of 4 hours of sleep (uhm...60 days of bedrest and 60 days of 4 hours of sleep...thanks twins!) Oh well. That and the depressing fact of my new higher weight set point means that even if I lose the extra weight I will never be able to behave like I used to at that weight. Bummer, but good to be prepared I ...more
Michael Smith
Mar 04, 2014 Michael Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Everyone owes it to themselves to read this book. The DVDs are also amazing. Some good friends of mine gave me the whole deal as a gift, and it has been just that. The book is easy to digest (sorry) and reveals the tricks and advertising ploys used by marketing gurus to get Americans to eat more junk and get fatter and fatter. Read the book! Break the cycle! Get on a cycle! Go for a walk! Good stuff. I just read it a second time...
Kc Chapa
May 14, 2012 Kc Chapa rated it it was ok
Good book for those who are relatively new to the health arena; most of the information I already knew. It sure was depressing though! In between the "fat cells don't ever go away, they either shrink or you gain more as you gain weight" and the "folks who have a sedentary job are still extremely suceptible to heart disease, even if they are very active outside of work"--this book got me thinking, what the hell is the point of embarking on a weight loss journey?!
Melissa T
Nov 07, 2012 Melissa T rated it liked it
A quick and easy read that was packed with information. Although some of the info I had heard many times before, and the format proved a bit repetitive; I felt it was a well researched book overflowing with facts regarding the general health of our society and the food we choose to eat. I was also impressed with the no nonsense approach to achieving better health and did learn a few things regarding metabolism, fat cells and weight loss. A motivating book of practical knowledge!
Jacquie
May 10, 2012 Jacquie rated it liked it
This book is great for someone new to the area of health and prevention. It didn't offer as much about policy issues (health/wellness prevention interventions; health, nutrition, and physical education in schools; and community development) as I had hoped. Overall, it was a good book. I liked it and took away a couple of things related to me personally.
Nikki
Aug 16, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
Shelves: health
I read this book without watching the HBO series it is a companion too, but I didn't feel like I'd missed out on anything. The chapters revealed nothing new in terms of all of the forces working against our expanding waistlines, but it was an interesting read nonetheless. I found the suggestions solid and it inspired me to eat a little less and move a little more!
Kylie
Dec 10, 2012 Kylie rated it really liked it
This is a great, comprehensive, accessible overview of the social, biological, political, corporate, and environmental factors that have create and maintain the obesity epidemic. The "solutions" in the final section of the book, while sound and helpful to the individual, miss the opportunity to make a strong call to action to change those external factors. We created them. We can change them.
Amber
Mar 07, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it
Great book that was very easy to read. It made me angry though to hear all the things the food industry knowingly does that can cause problems for people down the road. Added more fuel to my fire to continue eating healthy.
Barb Martin
Jun 17, 2013 Barb Martin rated it liked it
Granted, this book didn't really tell me much that I didn't already know about nutrition and weight loss, but I hope it puts me back into a proper mindset to keep off the weight I've lost. Food is so good. Willpower is so weak.
Julie F
Jun 20, 2012 Julie F rated it it was ok
If you have never read anything about weight diet and exercise you might learn something from this books. But most of the information is dumbed down and barely skims the surface. If you really want to understand these issues reading Gary Taubes and Gina Kolata.
Dawn
Jun 12, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing
No nonsense, straight to the point! It's not a diet, it's a way of life. Everyone should read this book.
Eliza
Aug 09, 2012 Eliza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mediocre read - mainly serves as a primer on the food industry and its' effect on the country's obesity. No new info here, folks.
Kelly
Nov 03, 2012 Kelly rated it it was ok
Nothing new. This book seems like its written for elderly obese people who know nothing about weight loss.
Todd Keskey
Jun 28, 2012 Todd Keskey rated it liked it
An interesting quick read about a growing epidemic in this country. There are some good tips and good science in it to back up a scary problem in this nation.
Steevigh
Sep 03, 2013 Steevigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the information the book gave. It was used as a text book for an online class I took over the summer and it was a fast read.
Kathy
Jul 26, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
Pretty basic info...however it is really unsettling when you realize how much we are being manipulated. Really makes you think some more about your choices.
Emily
Jul 07, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok
Didn't learn too much. Not helpful to me as I've read about 4 of the suggested readings, and they all covered the same material.
Jennifer Shermer
Jennifer Shermer rated it really liked it
May 11, 2013
Kay
Kay rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
Aerin
Aerin rated it really liked it
May 09, 2012
Brock Sawyer
Brock Sawyer rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Thomas Conklin
Thomas Conklin rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • I am Helen Keller
  • Hiding the Elephant: How Magicians Invented the Impossible and Learned to Disappear
  • Fraternity: In 1968, a visionary priest recruited 20 black men to the College of the Holy Cross and changed their lives and the course of history.
  • Future Science: Essays from the Cutting Edge
  • The Game On! Diet: Kick Your Friend's Butt While Shrinking Your Own
  • I'm Trying to Love Spiders
  • The New ME Diet: Eat More, Work Out Less, and Actually Lose Weight While You Rest
  • Marvelous Cornelius: Hurricane Katrina and the Spirit of New Orleans
  • The Book Itch: Freedom, Truth, & Harlem's Greatest Bookstore
  • Culinary Intelligence: The Art of Eating Healthy (and Really Well)
  • The Adventures of Beanboy (Beanboy #1)
  • Secrets from the Eating Lab: The Science of Weight Loss, the Myth of Willpower, and Why You Should Never Diet Again
  • The Town That Food Saved: How One Community Found Vitality in Local Food
  • The Meat Free Monday Cookbook
  • Dragon Age: Origins: Prima Official Game Guide
  • Luna and Me: The Story of Julia Butterfly Hill
  • Awesome Adventures at the Smithsonian: The Official Kids Guide to the Smithsonian Institution
  • How We Eat: Appetite, Culture, and the Psychology of Food