Start by marking “UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)” as Want to Read:
UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)

UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  18,794 ratings  ·  2,206 reviews
Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated; that is until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight.

But with her new found fame brings misfortune in the form of an old family curse come to light. For Mina is a descendant from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale busin
Published 2011 by Chanda Hahn

To ask other readers questions about UnEnchanted, please sign up.

Aliyah Mcdaniel Absolutely!!! Only it's not in a boring way that most people would expect. It really sparks a memory from when we read fairy tale and adds a very…moreAbsolutely!!! Only it's not in a boring way that most people would expect. It really sparks a memory from when we read fairy tale and adds a very modern twist to it.(less)
Kate Does it have any explicit scenes in it though?
Prince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisUnEnchanted by Chanda HahnThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenHollowland by Amanda HockingThe Mind Readers by Lori Brighton
FREE Ebooks For Teens
2nd out of 432 books — 816 voters
UnEnchanted by Chanda HahnPrince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniThe Mind Readers by Lori Brighton
Free Kindle Books (YA)
1st out of 239 books — 349 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara
I really wanted to like this book. But the book, in my mind, had two major flaws:

1) The lack of editing. I get it. Not everybody is born a grammatical genius. That's why we have spell check and friends and editors. There were some unforgivable mistakes in word usage, punctuation, and structure. I got this as a free Kindle book, so I can't really complain, but the lack of editing jarred me out of the story on several occasions.

2) The story development. The plot should have been great. I loved the
Kari
I hate when a book has a really good idea, but is written poorly. This is one of those books. I will end up reading all of the series (most probably) because I like the plot line. The book on the other hand is full of editing issues and dull characters.
Raina {The LUV'NV}
UnEnchanted is a freebie on Amazon and B&N, and since I love fairy tales and Brothers Grimm, I had to read it as soon as possible. While the story development needed some work and the editing seemed non-existent, I was sucked in, needing to know how Mina would succeed in the current round of the curse and who all the characters represented.

Unfortunately, I liked Mina's best friend, Nan, more than her. Mina is—or what has become—the typical YA female protagonist: shy, clumsy, and "ordinary"
Sinai
Maggie
I got this as a free book for kindle, so I figured I'd read it. After all, you can't beat free right? Well, as it turns out, you can. There's probably a reason this book was free.

To start off, the book was so poorly written that I wanted to cry. There were commas where there shouldn't have been commas. There were run on sentences. The writing was mediocre at best. It made Twilight look like War and Peace, which is no easy feat.

The story line was completely unbelievable and skipped around or cha
Teresa
Does anyone really ever consider their life a story? Other people characters? Do you believe that there is such a thing as Fate, and it is playing with us? I really liked this book, because it made me think about that.
The main character is a stereotypical heroine, and one can tell the author had that in mind. Mina is awkward, booky, shy, and completely lost to her time. She has a crush on the most popular boy in school, and is regularly made fun of. It is the atypical teenager book. Being 20,
Sebrina Parker
I debated between how high to rank this story. As we all know by now, I love fairy tales so when I saw this title in the kindle store for free, I immediately downloaded it. All in all, I really enjoyed it and bought the sequel upon finishing it. But in all fairness I will share the good and bad...

The bad:

1. The characters are very one dimensional but I don't totally hate this. See further explanation in the good.

2. There are several grammatical errors. Not enough to distract from the story but i
Leslie
I got this book as a free ebook from Barnes and Noble. Being the cheapskate/frugal person I am decided to not pass up on a free book. I didn't know what to expect from it, but after finishing it I am completely taken with the story and am looking to get the sequel to it (which unfortunately I have to buy but luckily it's under $5).

It's a twist on the whole 'modern boy/girl who is a part of the Grimm family line and must contend with creatures from the fairytale world'. It has a unique concept an
Nancy
A twist on the well-known Brothers Grimm stories comes a radical story of a girl who is a descendant of the Grimm family. Mina Grime was taught to stay out of the spotlight and if by any chance she did start gaining notice, her mother would pack up the family’s belongings and move to a new location. From there, they would start fresh and Mina would go unnoticed until she saved her crush’s life.
It was just another miserable day for Mina. She woke up late, almost missed her bus (again), and had a
Riannon
Read this one on my Kindle because it was free, and the name is quite ironic because this is in fact an Unfortunate fairy tale, a very unfortunate fairy tale indeed. Where to begin...

It is extremely juvenile in tone, with the main character being full of angst and rejecting/being unkind to her main romantic interest for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Said romantic interest is mentally raved about way too much by annoying main character and is way too perfect, being not only the best looking boy
Kathy
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. I had seen a few good reviews and it was free for my Kindle so I thought I’d give it a try. I love fairy tales and thought it was fun to see how they were interwoven into this story. Mina was a likable heroine. She was special, but didn’t know it yet. Her mom to try and protect her had tried to encourage her to NOT stand out. Mina always thought she was a klutz and didn’t mind not being noticed. Then one day on a field trip she saved the hottest gu ...more
Elle
The dialogue is immature, the characters two-dimensional and the plot is uneventful. I seriously can't believe how this story turned out. I think it could have been better with a planned out execution of the characters, plot and dialogue. I get this is a YA novel and the teenagers will act as such, but this seriously lacked an sense of realism. I couldn't relate to Mina at all. She's clumsy, whiny and the most insecure heroine I think I've ever read about. I couldn't stand how low and down she w ...more
Angel
The story premise was fine. What the book needed was a proper editor and proper formatting. The story jumped between POVs in odd intervals, the pacing was off, and the dialogue rarely brought depth to any character. A well crafted piece of dialogue should be relaying the information that the author then spent time detailing. At best it was like being told the same thing twice.

Can we get over the simpering love-struck "heroine" please? While the story could have been exceptionally good, it was ru
Hollz
okay so this was just a free book on my kindle.... so hey why not.buy it I thought! so I did!

OMG!!! it was soooooooooooo good! if you happen to like fairy tales ( and a little romance) then READ this! and ..... the ending was like " wh-wh- what?!! nooo!" it felt like it just stops like its in the middle of a chapter! and also ( I am emotional in books remember.) I like cried to.... not balling, but it was just sad. and why am I telling you that?!! I have no idea! so pretend I never said that st
Regina
Hmm where do I start....
I started off excited for the book because the premise sounded awesome and it is but....the execution could have been better. Its a 3 star despite my annoyance because the potential is so great. I hope book 2 will be better because the writing made me skim parts of the book and I hate doing that.

cons:
-Jumpy POV switches. Brody to Mina out of nowhere within the same scene with no obvious transition jars the reader out of the story. The POV also jumps between minor charact
Rebecca Jo
When I saw the title, I was drawn in. I love all things fairy tales. I was just coming off some deeper reads, so wanted a fun, light read. This didnt disappoint. Its about a young lady whose last name is Grime... only to find out, its reall Grimm. She's a descendant of the Grimm family & has a curse on her. That explains why her mom moves her & her brother so quickly when something strange happens, or why she's accident prone & nothing seems to go her way.

She finds out she has to sur
Cara
I read the free kindle ebook and I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it, 'cause it would've been a waste. There were so many typos and grammar mistakes that it was ridiculous. I also didn't like the author's use of description. It seems like everything she mentioned, every noun, had to have at least two words to describe it. Really, I don't need to know the color of everything, nor do I need multiple synonyms to describe something. It was also annoying that every little thing seemed to have a b ...more
Tina
I was really actually pleasantly surprised with this one. I have not had the best luck lately with stories which are free lately. However, this little gem made me HAPPY. The first two chapters are basically character/plot/setting set up. It was a bit long, tedious and boring. I was all about ready to ditch the book and I saw Traci's review. I thought to myself, she doesn't usually lead me astray and I picked it back up. I am very thankful I did... The book quickly picked up pace and the story be ...more
Heidi Garrett
Sep 05, 2014 Heidi Garrett rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Heidi by: Free on Kindle
UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale) by Chanda Hahn, what a fun, clever read. When I become a fan of a story, there is always that moment when the writer hooks me. In UnEnchanted it is at the red dress. Everything about that scene is the perfect melding of fairytale and real world. And right before we get there, I love this line:

To Sara, vintage meant cheaper than the mall and one step up from a thrift store.

Not that there weren’t some other great moments and lines before then. Two:

Thankfully
Shelly Hammond
I absolutely love this book. This is one that was offered as free so I grabbed it up figuring I would read it one day and give it a shot. WOW! I am so glad I did. I do believe I have found one to add to my favorites list.

I love fairy tales and books that twist fairy tales up, though there are times when such books become just plain silly or done so many times before that you just get bored. This is not one of those books. This book has a very unique storyline based on the Grimm legends and curse
Haley
When I saw UnEnchanted in the iBooks store I thought....What the heck?!?! It's only 99 cents. After reading it, I know that this is the type of novel that deserves to be on the shelf of every Paranormal Romance and YA Literature fan.

As I read UnEnchanted I was completely immersed in the story. Chanda Hahn managed to create some of the most likeable and relatable characters I've read about in a long time. I felt like I was on the journey with Mina. Mina is every girl! She's quiet and likes to bl
Krystal
I found this little gem in the free section of Amazon's kindle book section, and I have to admit, I was thoroughly surprised at how good it was. I was immediately drawn by thesynopsisof the book, and although it seemed a little slow going at first, the remainder definitely made up for thebeginning. In fact, I was upset at howabrupt the ending was as I was not ready for it to be over yet!

I do have to say thatthe two male "leads" in this story reminded me a lot of two characters from the Twilight
Linda Burke
Mar 07, 2013 Linda Burke rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romance or fairy tale fans of any age
Recommended to Linda by: Amazon
Shelves: fantasy
While the original version had some editorial challenges, the overall tone of this book transcends the slight inconveniences of having to read around them. Having been in communication with the author, I learned that her primary goal is to provide juvenile fiction that we would actually want our youth to be reading (no sex, foul language, or overt violence). Sometimes, it is necessary to give up one thing to get another, and in the early days of the Unfortunate Fairy Tale series, it was necessar ...more
Tabby_thedefiant
Sooo. i really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.

When Mina saved Brody and she found out about the curse i was all like

Then after she battled the story and was kidnapped by grey tail i was all like

But then she was won and was safe and i celbrated like

And then everyone else forgot everything that had happened and Jared turned back up i was just like
Mackenzie

A fifteen-year-old girl named Mina is in some serious danger. It is because of a curse that is on their family that people in their family have died from. Everything all started on a field trip. On the field trip a boy that Mina liked named Brody fell almost fell off the edge and died. the newspaper and the magazines all had her face on the cover. That is when something bad happens. You will have to read the book to find out more because I don't want to give the best part away.
It is a mystical
Anne

It was a freebie, so I'm not inclined to complain.

The idea for the plot was excellent, but it could have used a bit more editing..still, it was free. Not complaining.

Mina is living under (her ancestors) the Grimm Brothers curse. This means she needs to survive all of the fairy tales in order to break the cycle that has been killing off members of her family for generations.

It kept me interested, but I thought the ending was a bit jarring.
I would probably continue with this series, but o
Cari
UnEnchanted is a book I really wanted to like, as Hahn's premise is intriguing, speaking directly to my fairytale-loving heart. Such an awesome idea, following cursed descendants of the brothers Grimm and the girl faced with cleaning up the messes of her ancestors. How could you go wrong?

By putting forth one-dimensional, ridiculous characters. By repeatedly losing sight of the plot. By getting sidetracked by just about everything but what's important. By offering less-than-impressive writing. By
Emma
My new favourite eBook for all of the wrong reasons. I can't see every Steve, Frank and Larry enjoying this but it gave me and my friend more than a few laughs.
Candice
This was a freebie on the Nook for me last year or so. The premise seemed fun and cute; since I'd been hooked on the show Grimm I decided it was worth a shot.

I just couldn't get into it. As is the problem or me with a lot of YA novels, the flow and usage was geared to a much less experienced reader. Nothing wrong with it, just incredibly difficult for me to follow in it's simplicity.

And that made me sad. :( Because, I really REALLY wanted this to be something along the lines of Beautiful Creatu
Rebecca
You have no idea how much I was rooting for this book. Even from the beginning, seeing a typo in the summary, I had trepidations. But it was free as an ebook on Amazon, so I figured I'd give it a try, and hope my initial fears were unfounded.

And the thing is, there is an interesting idea here. You have teenager Mina Grime a.k.a. Wilhemina Grimm, a descendant of one of the Grimm brothers. Due to magical circumstances, she's the latest in the long line of Grimms who have to deal with a curse that
  • Clockwise (Clockwise, #1)
  • Parallel (Travelers, #1)
  • Glimpse (Zellie Wells, #1)
  • Seeds of Discovery (Dusk Gate Chronicles, #1)
  • The Mind Readers (Mind Readers, #1)
  • Entangled (Spellbound #1)
  • Bound (The Crystor, #1)
  • Hidden (Hidden Series, #1)
  • Golden Blood (Time Spirit Trilogy, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Redemption (Redemption, #1)
  • Survival (The Guardians of Vesturon, #1)
  • Bound (Arelia LaRue, #1)
  • Insight (Insight, #1) (Web of Hearts and Souls #1)
  • Broken (Reflections #1)
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • Eternity
Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #2) The Iron Butterfly (Iron Butterfly, #1) The Steele Wolf (Iron Butterfly, #2) Fable (Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #3) The Silver Siren (Iron Butterfly, #3)

“Not every tale has a happy ending. In fact, many of them are grim.” 80 likes