Dualed (Dualed, #1)

Dualed (Dualed #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  3,960 ratings  ·  709 reviews
Two of you exist. Only one will survive.

The city of Kersh is a safe haven, but the price of safety is high. Everyone has a genetic Alternate—a twin raised by another family—and citizens must prove their worth by eliminating their Alts before their twentieth birthday. Survival means advanced schooling, a good job, marriage—life.

Fifteen-year-old West Grayer has trained as a...more
Published February 26th 2013 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Dualed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dualed

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
64th out of 1,497 books — 10,201 voters
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman's Daughter by Megan ShepherdThe Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell
YA Debuts 2013
9th out of 522 books — 2,369 voters

More lists with this book...

karen

i am so torn.

on the one hand - it is a book about twins (clones) where, by law, one must eventually kill the other, thereby leaving only one human instead of two, the way it should be (see shelf title). on the other hand, most of this "world" MAKES NO SENSE.

but how much does that matter, when you are reading a lightweight YA dysto-sci-fi novel?i have a tendency to shrug off inconsistencies depending on the answer to the following question:

is it fun??

well, yeah, it's pretty fun. but i'm not sure...more
Wendy Darling
Stop by The Midnight Garden to win a Dualed ARC!

3.5 stars Every person in the city of Kersh has a genetic Alternate--but only one will survive! Dun dun dun. At the age of fifteen, West Grayer has just been notified of her Alt's location, and it's a race against the clock to find and eliminate her...before she herself is killed.

I really enjoy YA science fiction, so Dualed is right up my alley. Who wouldn't be intrigued by a concept like that? The blurb sold it to me, and I'm guessing it will hoo...more
Blythe
Upon finishing Dualed, all I am overcome with is an overwhelming sense of complete and utter mediocrity. Running through my head last night, while reading, and ultimately finishing Dualed was a giant list of 'what-ifs' and 'should-haves' that, in my opinion, would have made reading Dualed a much more interesting experience. Should these issues have been addressed, Dualed could have easily been a four star read for me, but in the end, there are far too many holes in the world and the character de...more
Giselle
Dualed was one of my most anticipated books of this year, as soon as I saw the synopsis I was in. The book itself is entertaining, to say the least. I was easily kept on my toes during this story, it's just a shame to say that if you stop and think about it for a minute, there is quite a bit of empty space as far as the world building is concerned. The characters as well, left a little too much to be desired.

Dualed introduces us to a a world where they make it so for every person born, another w...more
Kevin

You know that Grumpy Cat Meme that has been floating around the inter webs the last few weeks? Well if you have forgotten here is a friendly reminder of the true face of evil

Photobucket

That pretty much sums it up for me when it comes to Dualed.

It's one thing for an author to make their character a complete badass, it's a whole other thing when said character is utterly unlikable. West has got to be one of the worst main characters I have ever had the misfortune to of met. From the first cha...more
Ash Wednesday

DNF at 44%

I feel like I'd have much better luck at enjoying a book written in Greek. Plot twist, just in case I inadvertently offend Greek literature lovers, I speak/understand no Greek.

This was so incomprehensible and unrelatable, I can't even fool myself to write a ranting review.

Katy
2.5 stars - I really thought I would love this book. To think somewhere in this world, there's an alternate version of you that grew up in a different home, had different friends, was a different person and only one of you will survive a showdown. And the first chapter had me hooked with West's grief over losing her family, her concern for Chord who just received his assignment, their playful banter and the tragedy that just broke my heart.

But that was as far as my loving it went. After that, th...more
B. Rose
The problem with Dualed, aside from its irritating title (I just find it, personally, irritating, and think this could have come with a way better title) is that it just doesn't make sense. [SPOILERS] [TO AVOID SPOILERS, DO NOT READ FURTHER.] I can accept some very wild, crazy premises. Heck, one of my favorite series is about high society London in the 1800's being ruled over by werewolves and vampires. Crazy premise. But Gail Carriger pulls it off excellently. But here in Dualed, nothing actua...more
Kaye
You know, I think there are one or two sites on the Web where you're allowed to creep - and no, Facebook isn't one of them. (Believe me - I was totally freaked when one of my friend's younger sisters confessed that she's seen her sister look me up no less than five times to "see what I'm up to". Laugh at me all you want, but it's different when you're not the stalker. Trust me.)

NetGalley and GoodReads on the other hand...Go ahead. Knock yourself out. You can never have enough reading material. A...more
Ashelynn
Holy crap, I loved this book. I loved that Elsie Chapman knows how to weave an intricate action-packed story with just the right amount of romance. Since I’m a huge romance girl, you know Dualed was amazing for me to love the action more than the romance. And I wouldn’t have it any other way. A MUST read for the science fiction fans.

***

So, I read Dualed in June. June 2012. That’s a really long wait for the sequel, but the good news is: there isn’t a cliffhanger. Which makes me super happy becau...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Originally reviewed on A Reader of Fictions.

Dualed is a book that I wanted as soon as I heard the summary. When I saw that cover, which is practically perfect in every way, my desire for Dualed kicked into high gear. Thankfully, I was able to finagle myself an ARC, because I really wanted to be able to review it for Dystopian August. I was actually really afraid that this one was going to be a big disappointment, because, let's face it, there are a lot of those in the dystopian genre. Thankfully...more
Steph Sinclair
I had an ARC of this for a while, but never really got around to reading it. So when I say it on Overdrive, I went ahead and tried out an audiobook. This was the very first audiobook I’ve ever listened to and I was really impressed with the narration. The premise is what originally drew me to this one since the heroine is on a mission to kill her Alt, a girl who is just like her in every aspect. Unfortunately, the science doesn’t really make sense to me because I really don’t think genetics work...more
Kyle
To see this review and more, please visit my blog at Living Is Reading!

1.5

I recieved an e-ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. Thank you very much! : )

Well, it looks like the never-ending train of bad YA dystopians being published will continue onward into 2013. When I read The Hunger Games series back in the summer of 2010, I was completely enchanted, and was so happy at the outpour and demand for dystopians that quickly accompanied the release of the last book.

Then I rea...more
Susana

More than a though cookie, this is a very strange cookie....from a dystopian perspective.

Truth is _for me _ this book crashed and burned as a dystopia. There's one two many lose ends, a very problematic use of science _that would probably leave other readers in fits of anger, lol _, and a very underdeveloped world building...

This was one of many books that never actually caught my interest during its release last year.

Of course I saw it being mentioned on GR's, but there's always books that wi...more
May 22, 2012 Jennifer marked it as to-read
A fight to the death against yourself?! But which self is the bad one? Interesting!
Heidi
Every once in a while a book comes along whose premise is so utterly captivating that you know you have to read it. You also know there’s a good chance it won’t work, but that ever so slim possibility that it will be amazing is what led me to Dualed. But I’m going to tell it to you strait people: this book makes no sense. You may really like it regardless, and I won’t blame you one bit–it has a lot of action, a fast pace, and is incredibly engrossing. But it makes no sense.

Dualed is a book that...more
Ashley
booknook — Young Adult book reviews

The first few chapters of this book blew me away. Like, blew my life to bits. The intensity, the devastation, the near-tears reaction, the morally questionable assassination... I got so wrapped up in the story and the kick-ass-ness that I think I lost my sanity for a while. Dualed turned me into a monster. I was only 25% done and I had already morphed into some sort of Gladiator Game spectator: demanding blood and screaming at West to kill people. I was some so...more
Jaime Arkin
I saw this cover and read the summary and I knew I had to read this! Now that I'm done, I'm not even sure what to say about it.. I really really enjoyed it, but there is so much to say and I don't want to ruin it for anyone!

"To fight yourself and find a way to win is the greatest challenge for any soldier."

Imagine a world where between the ages of 10 - 20 you are in fear of having to prove your worth by killing someone that looks exactly like you. Alt's as they are referred to in the book ar...more
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Decent, if not the most logical book I've ever read. Stalls a bit in the midsection, but concludes with a solid finale. I am kinda "ehhhh" about this novel - I will have to think on it a few days before I render a final verdict and review.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A society pits yourself vs. yourself to breed a city of fighters in a war no one really knows about.

Opening Sentence: I’ve buried nearly everyone I love.

The Review:

What would you do if you had to fight yourself to stay alive? Everyone in Kersh has a twin: an exact look-alike with the same mannerisms but grew up in a different home. Sometime when you’re 10 years old to 21 years old, you will be activated. The Board (government) will knock on...more
~Tina~

Kersh City is the last war-free zone in the world, but this world comes at a price.
Alts. Two identical children are born with two sets of parents. Each much raise their children to be the best killer.
Their Assignments are given between the ages of 10-20. You have 31 days to hunt down and kill your Alt before your Alt kills you. If neither one Completes by the 32nd day, you will both be terminated for your alternate code will self-detonate.
Only one can survive.
Kill or be killed.
Be the...more
Sara Grochowski
Elsie Chapman's debut Dualed is one of the best dystopian novels I've read since The Hunger Games and Divergent. For me, it was the action, philosophical elements, and strong female heroine of Dualed that put it in the same league as these successful predecessors. In addition to these elements, Chapman offers readers an entirely new world and society to explore... and attempt to comprehend.

In West Grayer's world, every individual has an Alt: a genetic twin. Each twin in raised separately and gr...more
Michelle Madow
I gave this book five stars because while reading it, I literally couldn't put it down. I read until 2 in the morning, and then had to force myself to stop reading to go to sleep. Then the next day I read as often as possible until finishing the book. It's rare that a book creates that intense need to keep knowing MORE while reading, and Dualed has that quality. It was addicting. There were no parts that were boring. When read as a straight up thriller, it delivers.

BUT ... there were a few ques...more
Stefani
This has to be one of my most highly anticipated book in months. I fell in love with the cover, I’m still in love with the cover. It is spectacular. I also loved the synopsis. The idea behind this book is one that I recognized could be either amazing or terrible, it all depended on execution. This was executed well. Some things probably could have been better but overall as a story I loved it.

The good:

West- She was a fantastic heroine. I found her to be smart, brave, loving, and normal. Unlike a...more
Laura Kreitzer
I received DUALED by Elsie Chapman via NetGalley.

5 of 5 stars

Elsie Chapman, I bow down to your spectacular writing. From the concept, plot, action, characters, and suspense, you nailed it. Books like this one are one in a million.

Let's cut to the chase, shall we? Would I recommend this book? Yes! Especially to fans of THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT. Even lovers of zombie books would enjoy the non-stop, heart-pounding action.
This intense story will keep you flipping pages long past your bedtime a...more
Wealhtheow
I am insulted that this book made it to print. It is so awful, so illogical, so meaningless, and so trite that I actually got angry reading it.

Basically, this city split apart from the rest of the world and is at war with it. Now, we see exactly one sign that this supposedly war-obsessed city is at war--a flame in the distance in the first chapter, and no one seems to be actually fighting this war, but I'm sure later books in this series (a whole goddamned series for this pile of muck!) will la...more
Courtney Wells
Great action and suspece brought down by a wishy-washy protagonist whose actions fail to match her priorities. West becomes unjustified and unlikable thanks to morally absurd decisions, cowardice and selfishness. I'd believe West is compromised by a post-traumatic stress disorder, which explains some of her decisions/behavior but never rationalized her well enough for me to sympathize with.

That said - the writing is talented and gripping, I just wish it told a story that was more sensible and e...more
Lori
Dualed was a book that I was really looking forward to. That premise sounds really interesting, doesn't it? A battle to the death against yourself. A battle to find out which of you is truly worthy of a future within the safety of their society. The idea that you aren't the only you out there, that you might not be as good as your alternate, that you might not actually be worthy of surviving until adulthood, that the society you've lived in and grown up in might not want to waste any more resour...more
Jenni Arndt
Actual rating is 3.5.

Dualed was a book that I knew I had to get my hands on as soon as I saw that awesome cover and learned what it was about. A dystopian world where each person has an Alt that before their 20th birthday they are launched into assignment and tasked with killing their Alt or being killed themselves. Such a unique idea and I just hoped that this one had the story to back up the pretty cover and idea. Did it? I think so, while I admit that the world building was a bit lacking, the...more
Erin Bowman
This book has a killer premise: In the city of Kersh, every citizen has a genetic double–an Alt–who they will be tasked with killing in order to claim (and secure) their place within the safe haven. The assignment is initiated some time between the age of ten and twenty, after which the citizen has a thirty day window to find and eliminate their Alt.

West Granger is fifteen when she receives her assignment. She’s already lost most of her family, and is one tough cookie as a result. As she works t...more
Should Dualed be a movie! 5 32 Aug 11, 2014 12:34PM
Shut Up & Read: ARC Dualed by Elsie Chapman ((US Giveaway)) 1 5 Feb 13, 2013 10:00AM
Young Adult Reads: ARC Dualed by Elsie Chapman ((US Giveaway)) 1 4 Feb 13, 2013 09:57AM
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles, #1)
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • Vengeance Bound
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • City of a Thousand Dolls (Bhinian Empire, #1)
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Coda (Coda #1)
  • Pulse (Pulse, #1)
  • Acid
  • MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
  • Half Lives
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • When We Wake (When We Wake, #1)
Hi there, Goodreads! I don't check messages or friend requests here. If you'd like to contact me, please find me at my website or on twitter. Thank you!

DUALED, Random House Children's Books, February 2013/DIVIDED, Random House Children's Books, February 2014
More about Elsie Chapman...
Divided (Dualed, #2)

“Be the one, be worthy.” 36 likes
“I don't want to have to save your life,' Chord says softly. 'Not when you can do it.” 24 likes