Start by marking “The Sweetheart Hoax” as Want to Read:
The Sweetheart Hoax

The Sweetheart Hoax

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  23 reviews
When urbane architect, Phil Williams, must bring a woman home to quell rumors he's gay, his only choice is the one woman least likely to impress: his dowdy receptionist.

Margot Manning has been secretly in love with Phil for years. She's just quit her job and is ready to begin her life anew as a nurse. Phil's outrageous offer is one she can't refuse. As Margot readies to ac
Published January 5th 2012 by Christy Hayes

To ask other readers questions about The Sweetheart Hoax, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweetheart Hoax

Alexa
It could have been such a sweet story, but was ruined by two things.

*EXTREME CRINGE*
The was a scene in the book where our h&H visit his brothers stables to watch the horses mating. Whist the horses were doing their thing, the h&H are getting turned on and the narrative keeps making reference to "the smell of sex" coming from the horses. Not nice.
It put me off big time.
But what was also present was the homophobic undertones throughout the book.

One star from me.
Atte Sm
DCT
This was a pure joy and delight to read. This is my 4th story by this talented author; who knew she has such a wicked sense of humor! I loved it and literally found myself laughing out loud during numerous scenes of this book. As with the previous reads, Christy has a wonderful way of pulling you in to the story and characters flawlessly. Margot is a receptionist in the Flannery/Williams architecture firm, but is working on obtaining her nursing degree. She has a secret crush on Phil Williams, w ...more
GusReed
Reseña completa http://readinginthemilkyway.blogspot....

Vi en algunas reseñas que la aparente “homofobia” de Phil era algo molesto, para mi, él en realidad es un poco inseguro y simplemente quiere ganarse el respeto de su padre y también hacerlo sentir orgulloso.

La cosa es, que este libro me decepcionó totalmente. En mi mente tenía una imagen perfecta de Phil y Margot, los había más que estimado durante tanto, tanto tiempo. Me sentí estafada, usada, esto es un ultraje… un escándalo!

Todo venía de
SweetSweeede
I wanted to like this book, I really did. I guess I hoped it would be a light, fluffy, chicklit-y read, but there was just too much other stuff in the book that ruined that would-be feeling for me.

What I like about chicklit is strong female characters (not necessarily because they start out that way, but because they learn to stand up for themselves and what they want). What I like about romance is the melding of minds (and bodies, depending on what type of romance I'm reading)and that warm fuz
Alexis Villery
When Christy Hayes asked me to review The Sweetheart Hoax I was oh so excited. I had already read Heart of Glass and I was so excited to read this one. It did not disappoint. We met Phil in Heart of Glass; he's Danny's partner in their architect business. Phil likes to having a dashing woman on his arm at all times, but he's still looking for that special someone to share his life. He think's he'll find that someone by dating models and the like but we know better. Margot is a hardworking recept ...more
Andrea
De lo más cliché a lo bizarro! El tipo es catalogado de gay y decide llevar a su secretaria para ser presentada como su novia, así callar los rumores sobre su sexualidad. Lo cierto, es que nunca le ha parecido atractiva la mujer y de pronto , de un momento a otro lo tiene loco! Para que decir, que el hermano en un momento ofrece ver a los caballos follando y ellos terminan calentándose con eso! Jajajaja noooo.
Tannia Pineda
Realmente no puedo comprender como el después de haberla prejuzgado durante tanto tiempo que trabajaron juntos se acaba enamorando de ella en 2 días, hay buenos personajes y momentos rescatables por divertidos pero nada más allá, Margot se siente menos por culpa de otros no dire por quien porque no quiero spoilear pero realmente ella es la menos culpable y me parece bastante extremo su comportamiento.
Crystal
Overall I really enjoyed this book, but felt like some of the storyline got rushed a little. Nothing was lost in the story, but think some of the relationships could have been defined more thoroughly, like with Ashley, the father, & even Margot's "friendship" with Kate, which had them blossoming into BFF's overnight. I establish connections relatively quickly, so I could buy it, but I'd have liked their friendship to have been developed a little more to add extra meat to the story. Beyond th ...more
ShaniceRhynd
I liked this book and its cute plot. I was pleasantly surprised to hear more about Danny and Kate Flannery from 'Heart of Glass'
Margot is a dowdy secretary for Flannery and Williams. She has been in love with Phil Williams for the duration of her time there but knows he would never see her other than a friend. That is until he needs a huge favour and his last resort is Margot. He and Margot end up spending a weekend together due to this favour and feelings begin to develop.
I really liked Margo
Lucero Rios paredes
haber, emm, que puedo decir de este libro, creo que simplemente, ME ENCANTO!!! se me hizo muy divertido, tierno y romántico!! enserio que lo recomiendo 100%; claro para las personas que nos gusta esta temática(comedia romántica). Esta muy padre, te enamoras de los personajes, Amo a phil (ฅ・ิω・ิฅ) jajaja
Sheila Seabrook
The Sweetheart Hoax, by Christy Hayes, is sweet, funny, and hot! Margot Manning, the heroine, has to quit the job she loves to achieve her career goals. But leaving her job also means she has to leave the man she's secretly loved for the last three years, Phil Williams, who barely knows she exists as anything more than his office receptionist. An unexpected opportunity throws Margot together with Phil, and the interference of his mom complicates things even more.

Once I started reading The Sweet
Bette Stanek
I just couldn't relate to Phil and Margot as much as I did Danny and Kate in Heart of Glass. The main thing I liked about The Sweetheart Hoax was how interwoven Kate and Danny were into this book.
Vanessa Gilbert
Me gustó este libro pero odie algunos aspectos como la homofobia, y en serio, caballos fornicando? .-.
Yani
La parte de los caballos es lo más raro y fuera de lugar que he leido en mi vida o sea wtf
La historia es dulce, pero creo que pudo ser mejor.
Amyalissa
I actually thought it was a cute story, but the homophobia killed it for me.
20012206
La verdad me esperaba algo mejor
Selena Lang
Cute, Sweet, Harlequin style romance.
Faith

Cute story!
Marse
Marse marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Reader
Reader marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
  • Almost a Bride
  • Gentlemen Prefer Nerds
  • Nickels
  • All the Right Angles
  • SNAP: The World Unfolds
  • Charming Blue (Fates, #8)
  • The Art of Romance (Matchmakers #2)
  • Luscious (Sexy Chefs, #2)
  • All I Want is You
  • The Carny
  • For Kicks
  • A Little More Scandal (The Christies, #1.5)
  • Real Romance
  • Something So Right
  • Busted in Bollywood
  • Golden Chariot
  • Love Finds a Way: 3 Modern Romances Make Falling in Love Simple and Sweet
  • The Saint Who Stole My Heart (Regency Rogues, #4)
My husband and I live outside Atlanta, Georgia, with our two children and two dogs. I have a journalism degree from the University of Georgia (Go Dawgs!) and I’m a member of Romance Writers of America and the Women’s Fiction Chapter of Romance Writers of America. I’ve been writing seriously since 2004 and made the decision to indie publish in 2011.

I write romance and romantic women’s fiction from
More about Christy Hayes...
Dodge the Bullet Shoe Strings Heart of Glass A Kiss by Design (Kiss & Tell, #1) Misconception

“."You didn't like me and we got along just fine."
He felt like he'd been slapped.
"What do you mean I didn't like you? Of course I liked you. I still like you." I'm falling apart because I don't see you everyday, he wanted to say, but bit his tongue and said the only thing that was true. "I want you back, Margot.".”
1 likes