Start by marking “Operation Barracuda (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #2)” as Want to Read:
Operation Barracuda (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #2)

Operation Barracuda (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  3,620 ratings  ·  54 reviews
WHEN IT COMES TO AMERICAN FREEDOM, ONE MAN IS ABOVE THE LAW.

He is quiet, invisible, deadly --- and the newest weapon on the front lines of a technologically advanced war. As part of a top-secret initiative called Third Echelon, National Security Agency special operative Sam Fisher has been given license to spy, steal, destroy, and assassinate to protect America.

He works al
Mass Market Paperback, 326 pages
Published November 1st 2005 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Operation Barracuda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operation Barracuda

Brian Nwokedi
08andreb
Sam Fisher, one of the most dangerous men in the United States may have just met his match. Now time is running out and he must find out who has stolen top secret U.S. weapons and what he plans on using them for. All this and more is in David Michael’s exciting novel Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Operation Barracuda.
The main character of this book is Sam Fisher. He is a U.S. spy living in Maryland. Fisher is in his late 40s but in very good shape. He lives alone and has no living family except h
Baily Volpel
“Tom Clancy’s: Splinter Cell” is a good book if you like a lot of action packed, suspenseful moments that leave you hanging till the last minute. The story is about a secret agent named Sam Fisher who is tracking down the leaders to an arms company named The Shop. The Shop has been shipping parts of a nuclear bomb to a triad gang in Hong Kong and its up to Sam to find and stop them before its too late.

Sam Fisher is an agent for the Third Echelon, a unknown branch of the National Security Agency.
Jhon(Original)
This book was ok compared to the first novel, which was much more action packed. We continue with members of The Shop, an international arms dealing ring which played a big role in the first book for they eliminated many splinter cells. In Operation Barracuda, we find that there is a traitor in the government which explains the leaks. This traitor is involved with The Shop and a chinese General named Lan Tun, whose plan is to invade Taiwan. They plan to use a nuclear bomb to create a tsunami off ...more
Husein
Chance Olesak
The sequel to the 1st Splinter Cell really did an excellent job filling in some of the wholes in the story from the first. The two really should be read in succession as they seam together quite nicely. Again this one is in 1st person view (unlike other Tom Clancy books). Same comments here as people are irked by the extremely, almost too, descriptive type of writing. Also several people buy this and read this book thinking that Tom Clancy is the author, which he is not and David Michaels is a p ...more
Taylor Berndt

I enjoyed "Operation Barracuda" by Tom Clancy’s, because it is full of action and gadgets. The best way to describe the book is late 90’s James Bond movies, a lot of fun but predictable. Tom Clancy did a great job of keeping the story alive and always keeping you on the edge of your seat. Yes you knew what was going to happen but how its going to happen was the part that kept you reading. The story is about a secret agent named Sam Fisher who is tracking down the leaders of an arms dealing compa
Oliver Radtke
I just finished reading "Splinter Cell" by Tom Clancy. The book was about a spy who works for a secret agency in Washington. The main idea of the book was about a Chinese general who wants to invade Taiwan. The general's name was Tun. He told the United States, if they get involved, then he was going to bomb them. The general set up three underwater nukes called barracuda's. Two of them were bogies, and one was the real bomb. Near the end of the book, they find where the nukes are and they disar ...more
Aaron Sweet
Oct 28, 2013 Aaron Sweet rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like books of some adventure and action.
This book is of a splinter cell named Sam Fisher who works for the Third Echelon which is a top secret government agency only known to the highest people in the government of agencies like the CIA and FBI. This book tells of a story about an evil syndicate that sells deadly arms across the world and a General with a vengeance against a certain country.
Gregory
Pretty exciting book. I really liked the action. Would have been better without the weird romance between a 50 year old dude and a 30 year old.
James
fully reccomend for anyone who enjoys the Splinter Cell video game series. I finished this book within 5 days which was very quick for me so there must have been some kind of attraction. It certainly is action packed but i find it to be written for a primarily American audience full of patriotic cliches. It can get very cheesy with quotes at times (separate from the pro-american propaganda) and sometimes description is long and boring but overall enjoyable.
Jeffrey Pardee
Great story, a lot of action just like any other Splinter Cell book.

The books story was very well written, I did not find myself confused or losing interest at any point during the book. There was tons of action as well as a look into Sam Fisher as more of a person with feelings about his lifestyle rather than the spy that will do anything to get the job done. All in all great book, I will definitely continue on with this series.
Phillip Frey
Tom Clancy created the Splinter Cell series and David Michaels wrote the book. I had thought I was buying a book written by Tom Clancy. I was in the Cosmopolitan Bookstore, seller of used books. Unfortunately, the Cosmopolitan will be closing. Paperbacks were reduced to a couple of dollars. I had never read a Tom Clancy book, saw his name big on the cover and grabbed it, not realizing he wasn't the author.

Not a bad mistake because the book was entertaining, the lead character a tough government
Mike
Another of these fast paced thriller books with an American hero who operates outside the law. As a non American you definitely get the feeling that the writers of these sort of books believe that the only ones who have suffered and are fighting terrorism is America. Anyway enough if my soap box lol. A good fast paced story very gung-ho that doesn't take a lot of brain power to read.
Christine Biggs
Bob
Author David Michaels novel based on a Tom Clancy theme is a pulpish tale of spies, a rogue Chinese general, Chinese Tongs and US special ops agent Sam Fisher, equipped with advanced weapons and devices goes up against the lot. Quick read with plenty of over the top action.
Martin Sidgreaves
I loved the first book in this series so looked forward to reading this one. From the start you are pulled into the dark world of Sam Fisher : Splinter Cell. Fisher is a bit of a one man army although it's not beyond the realms of possibility that agents like this exist. As in the first book this one, at times, is a little `American' in it's approach to the world, however this doesn't detract too much from the story.

Overall, a good book, I wouldn't say it's as good as the first (which you shoul
Hayden Remer
I was at Deseret industries in the book section and found this book for two bucks and I got really excited because I am a huge fan of the Splinter Cell games. So by man law I had to read it and yet again a video game novel didn't disappoint me. The plot was original kept true to characters in the games. My only bugaboo is the end felt a little rushed but other than that I found it very entertaining. If you are a fan of the games you will love this book.
Guy Gonzalez
When Raymond Benson (the author behind the David Michaels pseudonym) sticks to the espionage and over-the-top action, he delivers a brisk, entertaining read that hits all the right genre notes. He fails miserably in his attempt to humanize Sam Fisher, though, with a hamfisted love interest subplot that goes exactly where you'd expect it. Fortunately, this was Benson's last go at Sam Fisher as Grant Blackwood takes over with the next novel in the series, so I'm not giving up on him just yet. Not ...more
Ishmael
I found this book and read it because it was a Clancy. I did not realize that it was another writer under Clancy's trademark until I had read a few pages and was taken aback by the writing style. I felt patronized by the writer like in instances when Fisherthinks to say something says what he thought etc. The writing was bad but the adventure kept me reading. You should read these books specially if you want to write (or blog ;) to teach you what you should not do. Maybe David Michaels books are ...more
Steven Hummer
No, these books are not written by Tom Clancy but that doesn't mean they're not worth your time.
An American scientist has defected to China and is selling them technology that would allow the Chinese to fire a nuclear weapon via a special under water delivery system.
Sam Fisher is back in action and he's the only one who can track down the traitor and save the US from a nuclear disaster.
Plenty of action in this one lots of great gun fights and the plot is very suspenseful.
My only regret was t
Luke The God
Interesting first but starts to fall off after a while: basically repeats the action in a different form.
Tyler Bivins
I think this is by far the best book I have ever read. It's a realistic fiction spy book about a man named Sam fisher. His works for a non-exsistent branch of the military. They refer to him as a splinter cell due to the extensive and special training he recieved. A group of four men are illegally dealing with the China dictator, who wants to take over Tawian. The dictator threatens to blow up a major west coast city if American gets involved. It's Sam Fisher's job to find out how they got the A ...more
Mr_Rosen
Sam Fisher is a highly skilled agent working for 3rd Echelon of the United States government. His combat and computer skills are elite but when a global threat emerges with the potential to raze an area the size of New York City, Sam is pushed to the limit to get to the bottom of i and stop at no costs. As Sam continues to pursue this deadly threat, he keeps finding that the enemy is always one step ahead of his movements, and worse yet, he is beginning to find a new love interest who is getting ...more
Benjamin Stahl
This was a pretty stupid book, and I only read it cause I was on holidays and it was lying around in the hotel lobby. But despite it being stupid and hard to take seriously as an actual novel, I did find myself entertained by its easy pace and constant action. There were many flaws, as the characters were wooden and the relationship between Sam Fisher and his gym instructor was outright fucking laughable. I can't deny that I did have some fun, however, as I tried to imagine every sequence as a m ...more
Stacey
This book was okay. I haven't read any of Tom Clancy's works, and when I first started reading this book I didn't realize that it was written by a different author. So now I am wondering if I would enjoy Tom Clancy's writing a little more. I enjoyed it enough to read through it fairly quickly, but it wasn't intellectually stimulating. I almost found it a little too predictable, which made it a little boring. But I liked it...
Francisco J.
Despite being highly-trained by the Navy SEALs, the CIA, and Third Echelon, Sam Fisher is one of the most human characters I have ever encountered in any book I've read. There are some boring parts, just like in any book, but it's interesting enough to keep the reader interested in the events that transpire throughout the book, and in the feelings that the characters have about themselves and each other.
Corey Tardif
The second installment in the Splinter Cell book series, this book is kind of a follow-up to the first book, it features Splinter Cell Sam Fisher once again going up against the terrorist organization known as The Shop, who have devised another deadly world threat. It is a very good book with plenty of action, I enjoy the books as much as the games.
Jonathan Gentry
I found Splinter Cell Operation Barracuda to be a little less action-packed than the first book, and it was a little awkward and somewhat juvenile the way the relationship between Sam and his Kav Magra instructor was written. Other than that, this was a great edition to the novel series. I look forward to reading Checkmate soon.
Bradley
  • Fallout (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #4)
  • Endgame (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #6)
  • Conviction (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #5)
  • Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8)
  • Springboard (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #9)
  • Cutting Edge (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #6)
  • Virtual Vandals (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #1)
  • Combat Ops (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, #2)
Raymond Benson has been an author, composer, computer game designer, stage director, film historian, and film genres instructor for over thirty years. He is also the fourth official author of the James Bond 007 novels.

More about Raymond Benson...

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (7 books)
  • Splinter Cell (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #1)
  • Checkmate (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #3)
  • Fallout (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #4)
  • Conviction (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #5)
  • Endgame (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #6)
  • Blacklist Aftermath (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #7)
Splinter Cell (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #1) Checkmate (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #3) High Time to Kill (Raymond Benson's Bond, #3) The Black Stiletto: The First Diary--1958 (The Black Stiletto #1) Zero Minus Ten