Start by marking “Zan (Spiritdell, #1)” as Want to Read:
Zan (Spiritdell, #1)

Zan (Spiritdell #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Magic. Power. Secrets. Everybody has something to hide.

Zan is a boy with a strange power: the ability to see all of your secrets, past, present, and future … if you’re a girl. Oh, and if you put your finger in his belly button.

With that specific, intimate touch, Zan is able to visit the Secret Town of any girl. There’s just one problem. He never likes what he finds.

When Za
Published January 23rd 2012

To ask other readers questions about Zan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zan

Laura Roberts
When I pictured Zan, the hero of Dalya Moon's Poke, I got an image of Deb from Napoleon Dynamite, fussing with her Glamour Shots set-up. This made me giggle. When I found out Zan's magical power was that he could see any girl's future by having her stick her finger in his belly button, I giggled some more. The premise is downright absurd, but I think that's why I liked this book so much. Everything that happens is just a bit off-kilter, with the kinds of characters you might not necessarily enco ...more
This book is an enjoyable read. I found it a bit odd at first due to the nature of the paranormal activity, but like Moon's book Practice Cake, the story and characters are unique. Her characters are quirky but definitely memorable and often loveable because they have strange tendencies or affectations. There are sections in the book where the descriptions of paranormal activity and out of body experiences teetered on "too out there," but the story managed to find its way back nicely, and those ...more
I love YA reads and was excited by this premise. I mean, come on, a fortune telling belly button. Too cool! This is a novella, but it is substantial and I am sure most teens would feel that it was a full novel. I enjoyed this read and will be looking for more of Dayla's works.

I'll tell you some things I liked about this book:

* This story was written from the perspective of the main character, Zan. Yes, it was written from the perspective of a guy. I love this. I find that the YA genre, as a whol
I must admit that I really liked this book. At first I was super intrigued how a power such as a 'psychic belly button' could be written about without it seeming to be a bit silly and I was quite impressed in the end.
This was a very fast paced read and is probably a book that could be finished in a day if you had the time to get through it in one sitting.
It seemed to tick all the right boxes that make a book interesting - death of the lead character Zan's parents when he was really young, a 'gif
Jade Walker
Zan (previously titled 'Poke') by Dalya Moon is a 50,000 word novella, which made it a very quick and fun read for me, I don't usually read novellas but I have enjoyed two of Moon's books and really wanted to try this one. And I did enjoy it, really, I just don't think that me and novellas really get along because I loved the storyline in this book and it started well and ended well with few holes to be patched up but I know that I would have enjoyed it much more if it had been stretch out a lit ...more
A Book Vacation
This is a very cute novella. Moon has written a piece that many young adults are sure to enjoy, as will many adults. When I first picked up this novella, I wasn’t sure exactly what I thought about a fortune telling bellybutton—bellybuttons gross me out, truth be told—but Moon has written a very intriguing story surrounding this strange fortune telling ability, and Zan was an easily lovable character. He’s kind of a cooky narrator, but he tells it like it is, allowing the reader to rummage around ...more
Zan must have the strangest power in the world. All a girl has to do is poke him in the belly button and he can see into her future, and he never sees anything good. It has put quite the damper on his love life. One night he meets a girl named Austin and things take off, but when she pokes him in the belly nothing happens. Between getting chased by witches and dealing with why Austin doesn't seem to have a future, Zan is in for a very interesting summer.

I have to say Zans power was pretty awesom
Elizabeth Jane
The author explains at the end of the book that this was originally a novella written for a contest in Canada called Three Day Novel Contest. Despite "padding it" and making the story "richer" as she puts it, this story was a disappointment to me. I finished it because I always finish a book even if I don't like it, but it was a struggle! Zan's character is cute and quirky and for the most part likable; however, his INSTANT devotion, nay, obsession with Austin is not believable. Seriously, the m ...more
I will admit that going into this one, I was expecting to not really enjoy myself. The whole 'finger in the belly button' thing really turned me off. You know what? If you put aside the silliness of that aspect? This story is really quite entertaining. I found myself really enjoying it.

The characters were all fairly believable and likable. The relationship between Zan and his best friends, James and Julie, was real and a nice change from most YA stories. The love story between Zan and Austin wa
I loved this book so much that after I read it and the sequel, I emailed the author right away to join her mailing list. This is the story of Zan and the special power that he has, and how he learns to control it. Of course you will have to read the book to find out what that power is, and what is going on in his life. I can tell you, it is a unique story that is fun and supernatural.
Dalya Moon is now in my favorite authors list. She has a great sense of humor and sprinkles it liberally through her books. And Zan was such a wonderful story! My criteria of Fem main characters written by Fem authors was violated but I still found I liked his character and his way of thinking. There is plenty of paranormal wonderfulness to pull me from reality and keep me there. There wasn't a huge romantic-angsty-nastiness as many YA books have. Sure he has found someone wonderful and he loves ...more
Carol Bosselman
Nice to read something from a guy's perspective for a change, and interesting twist on an ability. Definitely want to know more about the antagonists.
May 12, 2014 Nicole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults
Recommended to Nicole by: Kindle
Shelves: kindle
Although an interesting plot, this book failed to grip me. This was a free book I had read on my Kindle app on my phone.
I love it, love it, love it, love it!
Dalya Moon's books are always fantastic, and this one was not a disappointment. I love the mix of all the things going on here; fantasy, romance and tragedy. It's a perfect young-adult book and I really enjoyed reading it.

In the beginning I thought this book was going to be very weird, just the idea of someone poking in your bellybutton and magical visions come up seemed weird. But when I started reading, I discovered this book was so much more.

Love the chara
2.5 stars I will probably come back and more fully review this one later. At the moment some of the vegan/ vegetarian Commentary is bugging me more than it should.

According to the book there is no such thing as fake chicken, vegans adore fake bacon, red meat makes you stronger and soy hot dogs taste just like real ones. 3/4 of these things are just flat out untrue and the bacon statement is up for debate.

I'll have more to say on the story/ writing when this is done irking me so much.
A quirky young adult/ paranormal/ romance story. I enjoyed the premise and liked all the characters but sometimes found it a bit hokey. Plus for some reason I was grossed out by the whole belly button thing. I would not be volunteering to stick my finger into someones belly button, thats for sure. I did like the book as an adult but would definetly say its for the older teen due to refences to drinking and sex.
Cheryl Archbold
Who would have thought poking someone's belly button could give that person visions??? *pokes own belly button* Hmm, nothing happened. -shrugs-

Another good book from Dalya Moon. It make me giggle, and made me think. I really enjoyed the part with the lady bug. For me, it felt like it sorta jumped around, compared to her other books. Maybe it was just the frame of mind I was in while reading it.
Zan is not your everyday teenage boy. He has a secret power. When a girl put her finger in his belly button, he sees snippets of her future. At a party held by his best friends he meets a girl who's future he can't see. From there things get more interesting as he battles evil and fights for the girl he loves. Really unusual but enjoyable reading!

What a strange little book...
I liked it but boy was it weird!! I think my favourite character was Austin because of what she was going through & how she coped with it.
I haven't got a clue what was going through the author's mind when she thought of using the belly button as a paranormal means but it kind of worked!
Zan is a teenage boy with a talent for discovering any girls secret. If he asks a girl to poke her finger into his navel, he gets a psychic trip to Secret Town. i started laughing when I read the description of this book and didn't stop. This book is a definite must read. I won this from LibraryThing.
Emerald Barnes
Hilarious young adult paranormal book!

Zan can see the future with one poke from a girl in his belly button! If that doesn't grab your attention, then the characters will!

I devoured this novel as fast as I could. I definitely recommend this read to all readers, not just YA's!
Literary  Chanteuse
I really enjoyed this quite surprisingly as it is not my usual type of book. Geared to a much younger reader and seen through the eyes of a boy it had some really interesting and unique details. A very exciting paranormal/fantasy adventure. Really engages the reader.
Rick Gillispie

Poke is a great book. You get lost in the world of Zan and his crazy belly button. James and Julie are perfect buddies. Can't wait to read the net book in series. A must read.
Jamie Makis
I think i would describe this story as a light-hearted paranormal comedy. It was a quick, enjoyable read and I laughed out loud a few times. Refreshing!
I'm glad this book was free. It was okay, but the belly button thing was really strange and uncomfortable.
Not quite as laugh-out-loud funny as her previous novels, but still a lot of fun with a serious side.
Enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one.
Michael Offutt
Jan 16, 2012 Michael Offutt marked it as to-read
This book has great if simplistic cover art.
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Wolfsong
  • The Way of the Black Beast (The Malja Chronicles, #1)
  • The Grave Artist
  • My Twisted Drink
  • The Devil's Mixtape
  • Unaccounted For
  • Jaclyn's Ghost
  • Hunter Moon
  • Inherit
  • Aversion (The Mentalist Series, #1)
  • Sorcha's Heart
  • Lightbringer (Celestial Affairs, #1)
  • Torn (Reflections #2)
  • Hera (Elei's Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Peter and the Vampires
  • Her Sweetest Downfall (Forever Girl, #1.5)
  • Shuffled Off (A Ghost's Memoir, #1)
  • Shadow Keeper
Hello, and thanks for your interest!

For news, please see my web site at
More about Dalya Moon...

Spiritdell (2 books)
  • Swarm (Spiritdell, #2)

“She laughs, and her laughter is rich and full, deeper and bolder than her speaking voice. I want to wrap myself in her laugh and wear it as a scarf.” 2 likes