Start by marking “The Five People You Meet in Hell: An Unauthorized Parody” as Want to Read:
The Five People You Meet in Hell: An Unauthorized Parody

The Five People You Meet in Hell: An Unauthorized Parody

2.65 of 5 stars 2.65  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Heaven can wait.

In the meantime...why not go to Hell?

Every once in a while a little book comes along that sheds light on our desire for intimacy, our determination to grow spiritually, and our collective yearning to define the boundaries of the soul.

The Five People You Meet in Hell is not that little book.

A sensitive everyman, Edgy works a meaning-less job at a seaside tou

Published May 24th 2005 by Atria Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Five People You Meet in Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five People You Meet in Hell

Victoria
I read the original version, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and that was pretty good. I was hoping this book would be funny and witty. It was really a disappointment. All his jokes and wit were not clever at all. It was like the jokes were just trying to hard to get your attention. Like, "HEY!! Yeah, over here. See, I'm a joke! I'm suppose to be witty! Pay attention to me!" It was just in your face and overall was just poor writing. I was really hoping it would be funny, I wanted a good lau ...more
Lisa
I know it was satire, but this author got a little too political for me.
Susan
Jul 14, 2010 Susan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of parodies
I first read The Five People You Meet in Heaven when I was a junior or senior in high school, which was way too long ago for me to remember any of it. I wish I could've reread it before reading this so I'd catch all of the jokes, but honestly there was just no time.

Bottom line: I didn't find it very funny. There weren't any points where I wanted to laugh out loud, although I don't know it would be more effective side-by-side with the original. Mostly, the text just seemed to be an excuse to take
abatage
This book seriously takes an hour to read. Billy Frolick (operating under the name Rich Pablum) may have been involved with the film Madagascar as a co-writer, but it is clear that his humour does not translate well to novel format.

I can appreciate a parody, and the fact that I liked the book this one sends up, has nothing to do with how crap I found it to be. It reads as if every line is intended to be hilariously witty, but in the end it just reads like a bad stand-up comedian trying really h
Truly awful. I felt no compulsion to go past the second chapter.
Rowan MacBean
I want my time back. The blurb from the inside cover flap amused me and then nothing else did. Maybe it wasn't my smartest choice ever to read a parody of something before reading the thing itself. But I don't think it would've made much of a difference. Partially because I'm finding a lot of reviews that say it's barely similar enough to The Five People You Meet In Heaven to be considered a parody but mostly because it just wasn't funny. I didn't crack a smile. Not even once. Billy Frolick (the ...more
Elysa
This book sucked. I try to be more eloquent in book reviews, but I can't. I LOVE parodies, especially ones of my favorite books, but this didn't deliver. I didn't even smile while reading it. It seemed dated, and it was published in 2005! That is just sad.
Jessica
I guess I had unreasonable expectations....I thought this book was going to be funny. If you are going to mock a part of popular culture, I think you should either be funny or thoughtful. This was neither.
Cute idea, but it tries a bit too hard. I think I missed a bunch of it because I read the original awhile ago. I think it would have been better if I read it sooner after the original.
Samantha
Um... I don't know what happened here, but I haven't read this. Don't know how it ended up in my books. So don't think less of me when you see this on my lists.
Alison
this book got no stars. it actually deserved - stars. thank god it was short-what a waste of time. to sum it up quickly-it sucked.
Mirah W
argh...I thought this was a total waste of time...some of the parody was funny but the overall writing style was very poor.
Katrina
I read this right after I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven. It was funny but not a must read.
Jacqulyn
Hilarious mockery of Mitch Albom's touching novel. Well worth the read if you need a good laugh.
Lyndsey
Worst book ever! Author needs to figure out that he is NOT funny, not even kinda!
Cathy
A very funny book if you already read "The 5 Peaple you meet in Heaven"
Xy
Funny. Its a book you'd read when you're bored :D
Allison
Jul 10, 2008 Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Allison by: Caroline
I couldn't help but laugh out loud many times!
Marta
Funny parody. Gives you some perspective.
Sheila
Sep 02, 2011 Sheila rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Something light and humorous. Very quick read.
Aljan
HAHAHAHHHA! Laugh out loud funny.
Nicole
Awesome Parody to Mitch Album's book!
Caity Alden
Caity Alden marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Jennifer Sherwood
Jennifer Sherwood marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Sarabi Eventide
Sarabi Eventide marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Kati
Kati marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Cheryl M.
Cheryl M. marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
  • The Girl with the Sturgeon Tattoo: A Parody
  • The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody
  • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse (Velveteen vs., #2)
  • Aristotle and an Aardvark Go to Washington
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Mad: Some Weird People in American History
  • Agent Gates and the Secret Adventures of Devonton Abbey: A Parody of Downton Abbey
  • You Can Get Arrested for That: 2 Guys, 25 Dumb Laws, 1 Absurd American Crime Spree
  • Secret Lives of Great Composers: What Your Teachers Never Told You about the World's Musical Masters
  • Mortal Syntax: 101 Language Choices That Will Get You Clobbered by the Grammar Snobs--Even If You're Right
  • Scared Sh*tless: 1,003 Facts That Will Scare the Sh*t Out of You
  • The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)
  • When Will You Rise: Stories to End the World
  • Bookshelf
  • Chuck Norris Vs. Mr. T: 400 Facts About the Baddest Dudes in the History of Ever
  • Skinny Bitching: A thirty-something woman mouths off about age angst, pregnancy pressure, and the dieting battles you'll never win
  • No Turning Back: A Witness to Mercy
  • Clues to Christie: The Definitive Guide to Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Tommy & Tuppence and All of Agatha Christie's Mysteries
  • Avengers: The Initiative, Vol. 4: Disassembled