Start by marking “The Five People You Meet in Hell: An Unauthorized Parody” as Want to Read:
The Five People You Meet in Hell: An Unauthorized Parody

The Five People You Meet in Hell: An Unauthorized Parody

Heaven can wait.

In the meantime...why not go to Hell?

Every once in a while a little book comes along that sheds light on our desire for intimacy, our determination to grow spiritually, and our collective yearning to define the boundaries of the soul.

The Five People You Meet in Hell is not that little book.

A sensitive everyman, Edgy works a meaning-less job at a seaside tou

Published May 24th 2005 by Atria Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Five People You Meet in Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five People You Meet in Hell

Lisa
Jul 27, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
I know it was satire, but this author got a little too political for me.
Susan
Jul 02, 2008 Susan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of parodies
I first read The Five People You Meet in Heaven when I was a junior or senior in high school, which was way too long ago for me to remember any of it. I wish I could've reread it before reading this so I'd catch all of the jokes, but honestly there was just no time.

Bottom line: I didn't find it very funny. There weren't any points where I wanted to laugh out loud, although I don't know it would be more effective side-by-side with the original. Mostly, the text just seemed to be an excuse to take
abatage
Aug 07, 2010 abatage rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
This book seriously takes an hour to read. Billy Frolick (operating under the name Rich Pablum) may have been involved with the film Madagascar as a co-writer, but it is clear that his humour does not translate well to novel format.

I can appreciate a parody, and the fact that I liked the book this one sends up, has nothing to do with how crap I found it to be. It reads as if every line is intended to be hilariously witty, but in the end it just reads like a bad stand-up comedian trying really h
Victoria
May 23, 2014 Victoria rated it did not like it
I read the original version, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and that was pretty good. I was hoping this book would be funny and witty. It was really a disappointment. All his jokes and wit were not clever at all. It was like the jokes were just trying to hard to get your attention. Like, "HEY!! Yeah, over here. See, I'm a joke! I'm suppose to be witty! Pay attention to me!" It was just in your face and overall was just poor writing. I was really hoping it would be funny, I wanted a good lau ...more
Rowan MacBean
Jul 14, 2010 Rowan MacBean rated it did not like it
I want my time back. The blurb from the inside cover flap amused me and then nothing else did. Maybe it wasn't my smartest choice ever to read a parody of something before reading the thing itself. But I don't think it would've made much of a difference. Partially because I'm finding a lot of reviews that say it's barely similar enough to The Five People You Meet In Heaven to be considered a parody but mostly because it just wasn't funny. I didn't crack a smile. Not even once. Billy Frolick (the ...more
Tegan
Jun 21, 2015 Tegan rated it did not like it
I read this book surprisingly quickly, however it was largely disappointing. There were some quirks which I found funny and very clever, mostly where references to the parodied text were obvious. Edgy's character never really became established and this meant that the story plodded along for the mere purpose of humoring the referenced text.
Elysa
Jul 24, 2013 Elysa rated it did not like it
This book sucked. I try to be more eloquent in book reviews, but I can't. I LOVE parodies, especially ones of my favorite books, but this didn't deliver. I didn't even smile while reading it. It seemed dated, and it was published in 2005! That is just sad.
Jessica
Jun 06, 2011 Jessica rated it did not like it
I guess I had unreasonable expectations....I thought this book was going to be funny. If you are going to mock a part of popular culture, I think you should either be funny or thoughtful. This was neither.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
quick, but comical.
Allison
Jul 10, 2008 Allison rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Allison by: Caroline
I couldn't help but laugh out loud many times!
Apr 06, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
Cute idea, but it tries a bit too hard. I think I missed a bunch of it because I read the original awhile ago. I think it would have been better if I read it sooner after the original.
Xy
Mar 04, 2009 Xy rated it liked it
Funny. Its a book you'd read when you're bored :D
Ms DoubL
Dec 17, 2010 Ms DoubL rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010
Worst book ever! Author needs to figure out that he is NOT funny, not even kinda!
Aljan
Jul 29, 2008 Aljan rated it liked it
HAHAHAHHHA! Laugh out loud funny.
Sheila
Aug 27, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Something light and humorous. Very quick read.
Alison
this book got no stars. it actually deserved - stars. thank god it was short-what a waste of time. to sum it up quickly-it sucked.
Samantha
Aug 10, 2010 Samantha rated it did not like it
Um... I don't know what happened here, but I haven't read this. Don't know how it ended up in my books. So don't think less of me when you see this on my lists.
Mirah W
Jul 22, 2011 Mirah W rated it did not like it
argh...I thought this was a total waste of time...some of the parody was funny but the overall writing style was very poor.
Cathy
Jan 18, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very funny book if you already read "The 5 Peaple you meet in Heaven"
Katrina Korte
Feb 22, 2010 Katrina Korte rated it it was ok
I read this right after I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven. It was funny but not a must read.
Isda
Isda rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Sonya
Sonya rated it did not like it
May 11, 2010
Abby  White
Abby White rated it it was ok
May 29, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Karessa
Karessa rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it did not like it
Jan 21, 2008
Aratrika
Aratrika rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2007
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2012
Rozhel
Rozhel rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Girl with the Sturgeon Tattoo: A Parody
  • The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody
  • Cranky Dead
  • My Goodness: A Cynic's Short-Lived Search for Sainthood
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Mad: Some Weird People in American History
  • Ipswich Unzipped
  • The Slackers Guide to U.S. History: The Bare Minimum on Discovering America, the Boston Tea Party, the California Gold Rush, and Lots of Other Stuff Dead White Guys Did
  • Velveteen vs. The Multiverse (Velveteen vs., #2)
  • When Your Phone Doesn't Ring, It'll Be Me
  • Aristotle and an Aardvark Go to Washington
  • I Took a Lickin' and Kept on Tickin': And Now I Believe in Miracles
  • Let's Play Doctor: The Instant Guide To Walking, Talking, and Probing Like a Real M.D.
  • Scared Sh*tless: 1,003 Facts That Will Scare the Sh*t Out of You
  • Worlds Afire
  • The Wreck of the Golden Mary
  • Idiot Letters
  • Salem Witch
  • Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent?: And Other Amazing Comic Book Trivia!