Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid

Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  3,806 ratings  ·  398 reviews
Book description to come.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 24th 2007)

Katherine
When I first saw this book, I thought to myself, "What a waste. It's one of those silly quote books, with at most a paragraph a page. Harumph." Yet once I was half-way through, I found myself thinking, "Every kid needs to know these things, preferably with as little pain as possible. This book is that painless means by which one may inform them, gently, of the inherent unfairness and occasional joys of life." By the time I was finished, I wished I could hop into a time machine, travel back in ti...more
Sara
This book is full of very short snippets of Snicket wonderfulness. It took me about 1 hour to read, and that was with me stopping to giggle and interrupt my friend (who was also reading) every 3 minutes to read aloud something.
Very funny, very insightful. I think anyone with a twisted sense of what is wonderful and terrible will enjoy this.
Shauna
Life is a turbulent journey,
fraught with confusion,
heartbreak,
and inconvenience.

This book will not help.

…or at least, that's what the blurb reads. I think this exactly the sort of book it's nice to have around when you're down and struggling with life's inherent unfairness.

Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid is a compilation of quotes from A Series of Unfortunate Events, Lemony Snicket, the Unauthorized Autobiography, and The Beatrice Letters and I am ecstatic to have finally gotten m...more
Becky
Jul 25, 2008 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoyed Lemony Snicket's random quotes in A Series of Unfortunate Events.
This book is hilarious! It has many random bits from the Series of Unfortunate events. I think this book would make a great book for the coffee table, because you could open it up and giggle at it without having to read a whole story. I just recently read the series of unfortunate events and it was fun to find quotes that I had read aloud to my roommate.
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
O Lemony Snicket how I love you! He's like the Tim Burton of books! This book is a book of quotes-bitter truths you can't avoid! :) My two favorite quotes from this book-

"Everyone, at some point in their lives, wakes up in the middle of the night with the feeling that they are all alone in the world, and that nobody loves them now and that nobody will ever love them, and that they will never have a decent night's sleep again and will spend their lives wandering blearily around a loveless landsca...more
Chloe Williams
Back in elementary school I had a huge love for the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, I would read these books over and over again and once I had read the whole series over and over again I finally pushed the books aside and moved onto bigger and better things. However, the other day when I was going through a pile of $1.00 books in an old book store I came across this book by Lemony Snicket, quickly a feeling of nostalgia came over me and I was forced to run to the clerk and purch...more
Caris
When someone under your employ resigns from his position, there's very little you can do to stop him from reading books while answering telephones.
Briana
Jan 14, 2011 Briana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lemony Lovers =)
Recommended to Briana by: Some random bubbly patron <3
Read 95% of the book with a smile on my face. Snicket is rare, wonderful, and refreshing!!

Eight of my fave "truths you can't avoid":

Perhaps if we saw what was ahead of us, and glimpsed the crimes, follies, and misfortunes that would befall us later on, we would all stay in our mother's wombs, and then there would be nobody in the world but a great number of very fat, very irritated women.

It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting intere...more
Amy
I can't get enough of Lemony Snicket's dry, droll humor. In Horseradish, Lemony gives a collection of life's bitter truths. Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."

"It is a curious thing, the death of a loved one. We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone you know. It is like walking up the st...more
Kathryn
I chose to read "Horseradish" in part because of the hilarious cover and in part because I've heard so many great things about Snicket (and loved his picture book,The Composer Is Dead) but his Series of Unfortunate Events has never really appealed to me. This is supposedly a "bouquet of alarming but inescapable truths [from Snicket's work:] along with selections from his unpublished papers and remarks he has made at dinner parties and anarchist riots, in order to remind the reader that even the...more
Sondra Santos
I just happened upon this quirky litle book in the store where I 'moonlight' on the weekends. There was one copy face-out on a display table with other books with titles like "7 Secrets of Success" or "6 Lessons on Life" ...

This one obviously stood out among the others, with its simply clean cover and of course, the interesting title. I picked it up to find out more.

It didn't take very long to read through the entire book. With chapters laid out on different aspects of one's life (Family, Home,...more
Teresa
I found this at a library sale for $1 when I hadn't had the greatest of days. I opened it up twice, at random, and landed on the two quotes I shared on my status updates, clinching the purchase.

If you've read "A Series of Unfortunate Events," some of this might seem superfluous, but if you don't know Lemony Snicket, some of those same quotes are going to seem completely off-the-wall. And, yet, there are some quotes (including one about aphorisms at the end) that I think would've made me chuckle...more
James Schmidt
Vintage Lemony Snicket...the character and writing I fell in love with...as a 40-year old reading "Unfortunate Events"

By turns sweet, silly, sweet, absurd, sweet, silly, practical, silly, sweet, insightful, sweet, silly, sad, sweet, silly...well, you get the idea.

Everyone should buy two: one to have in your collection and the other so you can cut our your favorite sayings and hang them over your desk :-)

A Must Have...you can throw away all your "Chicken Soup Books" if you have this one.

Rebecca

This review is also on my book blog

I adore Lemony Snicket. A Series of Unfortunate Events was my favourite series when I was a kid - it’s still one of my favourites now. I’ve wanted to read this book for so long and I was so excited to finally get my hands on a second-hand copy. It’s been one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I’ve had in a while.

Horseradish is a wonderful little book full of typical Lemony Snicket awesomeness. It’s so quotable - really, anything by him is. It’s split int...more
Leah
This book is wonderful (or should I say terrible?) in typical Lemony Snicket fashion. Broken up into segments such as "School," "Literature," "Family," and "An Overall Feeling of Doom that One Cannot Ever Escape No Matter What One Does," Snicket offers short anecdotes meant to... what? Inspire? Depress? Amuse?

I suppose they do all three in turn.

This is the perfect book for fans of A Series of Unfortunate Events who are hankering for more Snicket even though the series has ended. I suppose it's...more
Elliot
As I began reading Horseradish, I kept getting the impression that these so called "bitter truths" were just witty and occasionally dark opening sentences for digressions Daniel Handler didn't include in ASOUE. As I continued reading, I realized that I was half-wrong: a lot of these quotes are just excerpted from his other books.

It's a fast, enjoyable read, but nothing spectacular -- especially given the misleading title. (Not all of these truths are bitter, nor are all of them really "truths";...more
Chris
How could I not give this a positive review with such obvious panders as:

Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.

and

Because even though those examples aren't what give Snicket's collection their depth,

One of the remarkable things about love is that, despite very irritating people writing poems and songs about how pleasant it is,...more
Margie
If you like Lemony Snicket, you'll enjoy this book. If you have stitches in your lip, it will be somewhat painful to read this book as it will be difficult to not laugh or smile. Please wait until you are all healed. And by "healed" we mean "no longer having stitches in your lip."

'Horseradish' is an excellent name for the book; bitter truths indeed. Funny, and worth reading (especially to your angsty 12-year old girl or 14-year old boy), but bitter.
Molly
"If writers wrote as carelessly as some people talk, then adhadh asdglaseuyt[bn[ pasdlgkhasdfasdf"

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."

"In times of extreme stress one can often find energy hidden in even the most exhausted areas of the body."

Just a few of my favorites :)
This little book that took me 30 minutes to read, if that, is one that I know I'll buy because every page is perfection.
Alexis
I so enjoy Snicket's style of writing, his doom and gloom with a twisted humor that always makes me laugh out loud! Straight from the back cover "Life is a turbulent journey, faught with confusion, heartbreak and inconvenience. This book will not help." This book contains a bouquet of alarming but inescapable truths....
Melanie
A very quick read and I enjoyed it so much, that I would love to own it just to have the many sayings at hand. A good read that I recommend to anyone to give you a laugh or just to give you a quick daily dose of insight. Three of my favorite sayings from the book are:

Pg. 23
"Perhaps if we saw what was ahead of us, and glimpsed the crimes, follies, and misfortunes that would befall us later on, we would all stay in our mother's wombs, and then there would be nobody in the world but a great number...more
Claire
How can you not snicker at a book which tells you things like:

"It is always sad when someone leaves home, unless they are simply going around the corner and will return in a few minutes with ice-cream sandwiches."
First Second Books
I think that Lemony Snicket’s advice about putting cats in your mouth if you’re allergic – don’t do it – is excellent.

That is all I have to say about this book.
Kerri
: I keep going back and rereading pages of this book. Some of them are sweet and thought-provoking and others are just really funny.
K8
Sep 10, 2012 K8 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K8 by: Lucia Passinisi
In a Nutshell: Sage advice on the tough truths of life.

-There are those who say that life is like a book, with chapters for each event in your life and a limited number of pages on which you can spend your time. But I prefer to think that a book is like a life, particularly a good one, which is well worth staying up all night to finish.

- A good library will never be too neat, or too dusty, because somebody will always be in it, taking books off the shelves and staying up late reading them.

-Somet...more
Gabrielle
You know those uplifting, inspirational quotes that are constantly being quoted on Facebook and Tumblr and GoodReads and in every yearbook EVER? The ones that are really cool the first few times you see them, but eventually make you want to punch someone in the face? You won't find those in this book. These quotes are more likely to depress the hell out of you than give you hope or uplift or whatever. And they aren't really the kind of quotes that are constantly pasted onto pictures of cute coup...more
Drew Graham
There are some truths in life that are unfortunate, but some of them are still worth knowing. This book presents some of them, along with some that are slightly less unfortunate.

Mostly I read this because I looked up other books Lemony Snicket had written after his Series of Unfortunate Events, which I have enjoyed for many years. This was apparently his first project after finishing up with the Baudelaires' saga, and it contains mostly tidibts from the series itself, as well as (I think?) some...more
Bianca Sewake
This is not a novel.

But it begins with a story of a woman who lives a somewhat dull day-to-day life and wonders if there is more to life than just doing the same routine and wonders what else there is to learn. She hears from her husband (who heard from her mother, who heard from her third grade teacher) of a man high in the mountains who can answer all the questions she has about life. She sets out to find him, but when she does, she finds out he is not who she thought and goes back home to fin...more
Shannon
Horseradish was recommended to me by my ten year old daughter. We came upon it in the juvenile non-fiction section of a branch library. (While I prefer the vast array of choices available at our downtown library, there's something to be said for a small library where you can wander through the stacks in minutes instead of hours.) My daughter finished the book the same night she got it and has been encouraging me to read it ever since.

I've not read all of Lemony Snicket books, but the one or two...more
Emily C
The other day I was browsing at the library, and I came across this gem by Lemony Snicket. Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid. I read it last night, and I wanted to share a quote.
There are far too many.
I'll content myself with the words on the back cover.
"Life is a turbulent journey fraught with confusion, heartbreak, and inconvenience. This book will not help."
Read it.
The Steampunk, Cy...: Disscusion 2 6 Jun 02, 2013 07:51AM
The Steampunk, Cy...: Reviews 1 4 Mar 01, 2013 06:38PM
The Most Awesome ...: Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid 2 3 Jan 24, 2013 05:33AM
  • How to Dress for Every Occasion by the Pope
  • Oddfellow's Orphanage
  • Half-Minute Horrors
  • The Sign of the Seahorse
  • Story Time
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
  • Delirium's Party: A Little Endless Storybook
  • Your Disgusting Head
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • Blimpo: The Third Circle of Heck
  • Howl's Moving Castle, Vol. 3 (Howl's Moving Castle Film Comic, Vol. 3)
  • The Horologicon: A Day's Jaunt Through the Lost Words of the English Language
  • Noisy outlaws, unfriendly blobs, and some other things that aren't as scary, maybe, depending on how you feel about lost lands, stray cellphones, creatures from the sky, parents who disappear in Peru, a man named Lars Farf, and one other story [...]
  • Mind-Rain: Your Favorite Authors on Scott Westerfeld's Uglies Series

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2) The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3) The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5) The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)

“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” 19161 likes
“Everyone, at some point in their lives, wakes up in the middle of the night with the feeling that they are all alone in the world, and that nobody loves them now and that nobody will ever love them, and that they will never have a decent night's sleep again and will spend their lives wandering blearily around a loveless landscape, hoping desperately that their circumstances will improve, but suspecting, in their heart of hearts, that they will remain unloved forever. The best thing to do in these circumstances is to wake somebody else up, so that they can feel this way, too.” 6038 likes