Start by marking “Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid” as Want to Read:
Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid

Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  5,139 Ratings  ·  536 Reviews
Book description to come.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 24th 2007)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Oh my goodness, I loved this so much. It's full of brilliant little snippets of snicket's hilarious and beautiful writing. If you're a fan of Lemony Snicket, this is a must read.
Katherine
When I first saw this book, I thought to myself, "What a waste. It's one of those silly quote books, with at most a paragraph a page. Harumph." Yet once I was half-way through, I found myself thinking, "Every kid needs to know these things, preferably with as little pain as possible. This book is that painless means by which one may inform them, gently, of the inherent unfairness and occasional joys of life." By the time I was finished, I wished I could hop into a time machine, travel back in ti ...more
Sara
Nov 09, 2007 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-lit
This book is full of very short snippets of Snicket wonderfulness. It took me about 1 hour to read, and that was with me stopping to giggle and interrupt my friend (who was also reading) every 3 minutes to read aloud something.
Very funny, very insightful. I think anyone with a twisted sense of what is wonderful and terrible will enjoy this.
Shauna
Sep 26, 2011 Shauna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life is a turbulent journey,
fraught with confusion,
heartbreak,
and inconvenience.

This book will not help.

…or at least, that's what the blurb reads. I think this exactly the sort of book it's nice to have around when you're down and struggling with life's inherent unfairness.

Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid is a compilation of quotes from A Series of Unfortunate Events, Lemony Snicket, the Unauthorized Autobiography, and The Beatrice Letters and I am ecstatic to have finally gotten m
Becca
Jul 22, 2008 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoyed Lemony Snicket's random quotes in A Series of Unfortunate Events.
This book is hilarious! It has many random bits from the Series of Unfortunate events. I think this book would make a great book for the coffee table, because you could open it up and giggle at it without having to read a whole story. I just recently read the series of unfortunate events and it was fun to find quotes that I had read aloud to my roommate.
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Aug 11, 2011 Erika B. (SOS BOOKS) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspire-me
O Lemony Snicket how I love you! He's like the Tim Burton of books! This book is a book of quotes-bitter truths you can't avoid! :) My two favorite quotes from this book-

"Everyone, at some point in their lives, wakes up in the middle of the night with the feeling that they are all alone in the world, and that nobody loves them now and that nobody will ever love them, and that they will never have a decent night's sleep again and will spend their lives wandering blearily around a loveless landsca
Chloe Williams
Dec 11, 2011 Chloe Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back in elementary school I had a huge love for the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, I would read these books over and over again and once I had read the whole series over and over again I finally pushed the books aside and moved onto bigger and better things. However, the other day when I was going through a pile of $1.00 books in an old book store I came across this book by Lemony Snicket, quickly a feeling of nostalgia came over me and I was forced to run to the clerk and purch ...more
Brendan Oshida
Jan 10, 2017 Brendan Oshida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually liked this book a lot more than I thought I would! I thought that there novel was very witty and creative. I laughed a lot and got confused on only a few things. You do have to have a sense of humor to get it, as I was told by the person who recommended it to me. I would recommend this!
Chris
Aug 21, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How could I not give this a positive review with such obvious panders as:

Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.

and

A good library will never be too neat, or too dusty, because somebody will always be in it, taking books off the shelves and staying up late reading them.

Because even though those examples aren't what give Snicket's collection their depth,

One of the remarkable things about love is that, despite very irritating people writing poems and songs about how pleasant it is,
Briana
Jan 14, 2011 Briana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lemony Lovers =)
Recommended to Briana by: Some random bubbly patron <3
Read 95% of the book with a smile on my face. Snicket is rare, wonderful, and refreshing!!

Eight of my fave "truths you can't avoid":

Perhaps if we saw what was ahead of us, and glimpsed the crimes, follies, and misfortunes that would befall us later on, we would all stay in our mother's wombs, and then there would be nobody in the world but a great number of very fat, very irritated women.

It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting intere
Amy
Jul 03, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
I can't get enough of Lemony Snicket's dry, droll humor. In Horseradish, Lemony gives a collection of life's bitter truths. Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."

"It is a curious thing, the death of a loved one. We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone you know. It is like walking up the st
Sondra Santos
Sep 07, 2007 Sondra Santos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just happened upon this quirky litle book in the store where I 'moonlight' on the weekends. There was one copy face-out on a display table with other books with titles like "7 Secrets of Success" or "6 Lessons on Life" ...

This one obviously stood out among the others, with its simply clean cover and of course, the interesting title. I picked it up to find out more.

It didn't take very long to read through the entire book. With chapters laid out on different aspects of one's life (Family, Home,
Leah
Jun 12, 2010 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is wonderful (or should I say terrible?) in typical Lemony Snicket fashion. Broken up into segments such as "School," "Literature," "Family," and "An Overall Feeling of Doom that One Cannot Ever Escape No Matter What One Does," Snicket offers short anecdotes meant to... what? Inspire? Depress? Amuse?

I suppose they do all three in turn.

This is the perfect book for fans of A Series of Unfortunate Events who are hankering for more Snicket even though the series has ended. I suppose it's
Kathryn
I chose to read "Horseradish" in part because of the hilarious cover and in part because I've heard so many great things about Snicket (and loved his picture book,The Composer Is Dead) but his Series of Unfortunate Events has never really appealed to me. This is supposedly a "bouquet of alarming but inescapable truths [from Snicket's work:] along with selections from his unpublished papers and remarks he has made at dinner parties and anarchist riots, in order to remind the reader that even the ...more
First Second Books
I think that Lemony Snicket’s advice about putting cats in your mouth if you’re allergic – don’t do it – is excellent.

That is all I have to say about this book.
Gauri
Dec 13, 2016 Gauri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It turns out, this is really not even a book. It's just a bunch of pages with quick paragraphs or sentences bound together.
The whole idea of this book is to present advice in a witty or humorous way. But it isn't really all that witty or humorous, because the author's just using a schtick. You know what, I can make another entry just like it out of the template he kept using: "Taking Physics is just like having a car accident. You're in utter terror throughout the whole experience and ultimatel
Rebecca

This review is also on my book blog

I adore Lemony Snicket. A Series of Unfortunate Events was my favourite series when I was a kid - it’s still one of my favourites now. I’ve wanted to read this book for so long and I was so excited to finally get my hands on a second-hand copy. It’s been one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I’ve had in a while.

Horseradish is a wonderful little book full of typical Lemony Snicket awesomeness. It’s so quotable - really, anything by him is. It’s split int
Maria
Nov 03, 2009 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Great fun! This is a charming and depressing book of quotes about some of the bitter truths of life. Some of these quotes I recognized from his unfortunate series but others are twisted truths and gloomy observations of common expressions. Like, "There are some people who believe that home is where one hangs one's hat, but these people tend to live in closets and on little pegs."

I particularly liked the quotes about reading and libraries. For example: "A library is like an island in the middle o
Megan
Mar 22, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read, nor do I intend to read, A Series of Unfortunate Events. However, these little snippets appeal to my hidden wacky sense of humor. So much so, that I'm buying a copy for my dad for his 83rd birthday.

A favorite Snicketism is "Perhaps if we saw what was ahead of us, and glimpsed crimes, follies, and misfortunes that would befall us later on, we would all stay in our mothers' wombs and then there would be nobody in the world but a great number of very fat, very irritated women."
Teresa
Nov 03, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this at a library sale for $1 when I hadn't had the greatest of days. I opened it up twice, at random, and landed on the two quotes I shared on my status updates, clinching the purchase.

If you've read "A Series of Unfortunate Events," some of this might seem superfluous, but if you don't know Lemony Snicket, some of those same quotes are going to seem completely off-the-wall. And, yet, there are some quotes (including one about aphorisms at the end) that I think would've made me chuckle
Molly
Apr 04, 2013 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"If writers wrote as carelessly as some people talk, then adhadh asdglaseuyt[bn[ pasdlgkhasdfasdf"

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them."

"In times of extreme stress one can often find energy hidden in even the most exhausted areas of the body."

Just a few of my favorites :)
This little book that took me 30 minutes to read, if that, is one that I know I'll buy because every page is perfection.
Nadine Larter
May 10, 2015 Nadine Larter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I completely forgot to mention that I re-read this little gem of wisdom over the weekend. Funny enough it actually did quite a bit to uplift an otherwise dreary mood. I think it might be one of those books I should read yearly, like Love That Dog (Actually maybe I should go and re-read that one now!) as it is one of those that gives far more than it takes. Thanks Mr. Snicket, sir. You have served me well once more.
Margie
Sep 27, 2012 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
If you like Lemony Snicket, you'll enjoy this book. If you have stitches in your lip, it will be somewhat painful to read this book as it will be difficult to not laugh or smile. Please wait until you are all healed. And by "healed" we mean "no longer having stitches in your lip."

'Horseradish' is an excellent name for the book; bitter truths indeed. Funny, and worth reading (especially to your angsty 12-year old girl or 14-year old boy), but bitter.
Alexis
Apr 29, 2008 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoy Snicket's style of writing, his doom and gloom with a twisted humor that always makes me laugh out loud! Straight from the back cover "Life is a turbulent journey, faught with confusion, heartbreak and inconvenience. This book will not help." This book contains a bouquet of alarming but inescapable truths....
David
Jan 09, 2017 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75

Well that was one of the most bizarre books I have ever read. I generally love out there humor and this didn't disappoint. There were many pages (although not enough) of dry humor, but I also really enjoyed that hidden within the humor was sometimes profoundly sound advice.
Claire
Apr 10, 2009 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
How can you not snicker at a book which tells you things like:

"It is always sad when someone leaves home, unless they are simply going around the corner and will return in a few minutes with ice-cream sandwiches."
Kerri
Apr 26, 2008 Kerri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
: I keep going back and rereading pages of this book. Some of them are sweet and thought-provoking and others are just really funny.
Ella
Dec 14, 2016 Ella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I give this book a 3.5
I was expecting a little more but what was there was definitely entertaining. I enjoyed the little pieces of knowledge that we all know are true but tend to refuse to admit. Snicket just puts these bitter truths into words and you definitely can't avoid them even if you avoid reading this book.
This was a easy light read but it makes you think. The little poems were a perfect mixture of humor and seriousness. Snicket did a great job.
Gabrielle
Oct 07, 2011 Gabrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know those uplifting, inspirational quotes that are constantly being quoted on Facebook and Tumblr and GoodReads and in every yearbook EVER? The ones that are really cool the first few times you see them, but eventually make you want to punch someone in the face? You won't find those in this book. These quotes are more likely to depress the hell out of you than give you hope or uplift or whatever. And they aren't really the kind of quotes that are constantly pasted onto pictures of cute coup ...more
Drew Graham
Jan 15, 2013 Drew Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
There are some truths in life that are unfortunate, but some of them are still worth knowing. This book presents some of them, along with some that are slightly less unfortunate.

Mostly I read this because I looked up other books Lemony Snicket had written after his Series of Unfortunate Events, which I have enjoyed for many years. This was apparently his first project after finishing up with the Baudelaires' saga, and it contains mostly tidibts from the series itself, as well as (I think?) some
The Steampunk, Cy...: Disscusion 2 6 Jun 02, 2013 07:51AM
The Steampunk, Cy...: Reviews 1 4 Mar 01, 2013 06:38PM
The Most Awesome ...: Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid 2 3 Jan 24, 2013 05:33AM
  • How to Dress for Every Occasion by the Pope
  • The Truth Behind A Series of Unfortunate Events: Eyeballs, Leeches, Hypnotism and Orphans --- Exploring Lemony Snicket's World
  • Swords: An Artist's Devotion
  • Oddfellow's Orphanage
  • Your Disgusting Head
  • Muddle Earth Too (Muddle Earth #2)
  • How to Potty Train Your Monster
  • How to Insult, Abuse & Insinuate in Classical Latin
  • Leo Geo and His Miraculous Journey Through the Center of the Earth
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • Lemony Snicket
  • The Short and Incredibly Happy Life of Riley
  • Chasing Odysseus (Hero Trilogy, #1)
  • Varmints
  • Girls Standing on Lawns
  • Donald Duck: A Christmas for Shacktown (The Carl Barks Library, #11)
  • It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
  • Howl's Moving Castle Film Comic, Vol. 2

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” 24344 likes
“Everyone, at some point in their lives, wakes up in the middle of the night with the feeling that they are all alone in the world, and that nobody loves them now and that nobody will ever love them, and that they will never have a decent night's sleep again and will spend their lives wandering blearily around a loveless landscape, hoping desperately that their circumstances will improve, but suspecting, in their heart of hearts, that they will remain unloved forever. The best thing to do in these circumstances is to wake somebody else up, so that they can feel this way, too.” 7148 likes