Start by marking “Murder Over Easy (Monona Quinn Mystery, 1)” as Want to Read:
Murder Over Easy (Monona Quinn Mystery, 1)

Murder Over Easy (Monona Quinn Mystery #1)

2.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Monona Quinn thought moving from Chicago to rural Wisconsin would be the change of pace she was looking for. But when the popular owner of the local diner is murdered, she realizes she may not find what she was looking for.
Published July 1st 2011 by Tyrus Books (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Over Easy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Over Easy

Dany
Sep 14, 2014 Dany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A diner owner in a small Wisconsin town dies and Mo Quinn, the editor of one the local newspaper does not think this was just an accident and is determined to find the killer.

I did not like this book. I couldn't find anything interesting about any of the characters presented. This hadn't happened to me in a long time, but I honestly didn't care about any of the characters, not a single one of them.

I found the mystery to be boring, there were too many random situations that added nothing to the
Jan 22, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story and will read more in the series. there is, however, something ameteurish about the storytelling's. the pot moves, the characters are developed but somehow it seems like an early attempt. as I said though, I will look for future books...it was a good story.
Loraine
I enjoyed this cozy mystery and had to laugh when the main characters would compare themselves to Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.
Elizabeth
This was a very quick read about a diner owner in the Madison, WI area who is found dead at the bottom of the stairs in his diner. The local weekly newspaper reporter gets a glimpse into the diner and notices that his white aprons are hung neatly along the staircase. If a man tripped and started falling down the stairs he'd probably grab at something, namely those aprons. Therefore she decides he was murdered, and the police aren't sharing info. There is very little depth to this book but it was ...more
Eileen Patterson
Kamas Kirian
May 13, 2013 Kamas Kirian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, wisconsin
A short little novel, more like a novella really, about the murder of a beloved diner owner and civic volunteer in a small Wisconsin town. Overall, I'm not a fan. It wasn't all that compelling reading. There were too many little things that just kinda nagged at me. Like: a whole, whole lot of the book was told as dialogue, and with the way it was formatted (both parties sentences in the same paragraph) it became annoying to read. Some of the storyline was so clearly foreshadowed that it could ju ...more
Jenn
Aug 22, 2013 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gym reading (aka free or super cheap Kindle books). I like cozy mysteries. Generally there's a female "hero" who bumbles around and makes stupid decisions and there's a cast of kooky small town characters. This felt like it was supposed to be a cozy. It took place in a small town. But there weren't really any kooky characters. No one was really that interesting. The characters all felt stilted and one dimensional. The mystery was rather boring and lacked many real twists and turns. At one point, ...more
Mom
May 18, 2012 Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie was liked by everyone in town. He was into everything going on. But he was killed. Who would do that to him. They tried to make it look like he had fallen down the basement steps.
I like how Mo would not believe the murder had been solved.
Coach Hopkins was the one that knew Charlie had put the moves on one of "his boys". Now he had repeated the same thing on yet another kid. The coach did not like how Mo had figured it out he had killed Charlie.
She had found the splattering seeds around i
Jan 11, 2015 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Melissainau
This was a freebie from the Kindle store. The pacing felt off, the sex scenes inappropriate in what seemed to be billed as a cosy mystery, and the details of the protagonists' lives never made me care about them. Also, the insistence that the protagonist was such a great guy seemed misplaced, to put it mildly. I often get through two cosies in an evening but this took me about a month to get through Not recommended, even for free.
Leigh Mitchell
Apr 29, 2012 Leigh Mitchell rated it it was ok
A quick read but it was easy to work out whodunnit. Not the best I have read, needs an editor to look over it as with the dialogue it was difficult to tell who was saying what. The "erotic" scene in chapter 2 as mentioned by another reviewer is not as bad as she makes it out to be. The murder motive was a bit uncomfortable - (view spoiler)
Elizabeth Amber Love
Murder Over Easy is an okay cozy mystery. The story of the mystery is however, dark and not so cozy at all. It's a cliche journalist doing the investigating. That's not a bad thing but it's done to death just as characters married to cops are. I wanted to give a new author a chance and this wasn't enough to hook me on the characters or environment enough to get me addicted.
Mercedes Cordero
May 29, 2013 Mercedes Cordero rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty bad. It was too predictable, not at all suspenseful or intriguing, and the characters were, sadly, very stereotyped and not likable, at least not enough to root for them or to care about them and their problems. There was even a semi-erotic scene that is most definitely out of place in a cozy murder mystery; completely unexpected and unnecessary.
Angie
Jun 14, 2012 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I liked the title and the cover ...the story was just okay . Sigh .
There seemed to be a huge number of characters in the beginning , which is sometimes difficult for me to keep track of . The story soon became a quick & easy read , but also a little shallow with way too many side stories going on . Not bad ...just okay.
Gillian
Feb 04, 2012 Gillian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So far it's mediocre writing. I was expecting a cozy mystery, and did not expect the erotic scene in the middle of chapter two. I'll have to re-read some of the reviews I saw before "purchasing" this free book for my Nook to see if anyone else commented on this. That took the phrase "cozy mystery" to a whole different level.
April
Jan 03, 2014 April added it
Quick read

Dialog was weird..but ok book. read it in an hour.
good bathtub read or as a beach book. fast pased
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Sep 29, 2014 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 2014
This was a free ebook I downloaded from Barnes and Noble to my Nook. It could have been a mildly entertaining cozy mystery. However, I was annoyed by the many formatting errors that included entire conversations written in a single paragraph. I do not recommend it to anyone.
Jeffrey
I liked the story, but the book really needed an editor (or at least one that knew what they were doing.) Granted a lot of it could have been formatting issues with the ebook, at least that is what I am hoping. Even given that, there are parts that really, really needed a transition.
Skeeter Jorgensen
Jan 25, 2012 Skeeter Jorgensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good cozy mystery. I liked it very much. Kept me guessing until the end. Mo, the editor of a small town newspaper in Wisconsin, tries to solve a murder of a well liked owner of the local diner. First there is no suspects then there are lots of them. A good fast read.
Marilyn
Jan 28, 2012 Marilyn rated it liked it
I liked this book. It was a small town mystery and had the usual quirky characters. The characters were well played and the mystery was like an old movie thriller. Thought I had it figured out, but it did a little turn on me. It was a good short read.
Crys Bauermeister
Really slow starting book. Picked up by about half way through. Big city girl who moves to a small town & tries to solve a murder--way too trite of a plot line. Does wrap itself up nicely but a bit too much of a lead into a potential next book.
Kathi
This is an awfully active town, given that the population is < 2000, but still plausible. I figured out some of the mystery before the end. Good enough for me to read some other Monona Quinn mysteries.
Mitabird
Jun 28, 2013 Mitabird marked it as dnf
The formatting wasn't good. I had no idea who was speaking & I had to re-read the sentences several times to figure it out. Too much work, plus the story wasn't engaging, DNF'd at 35%
Melissa
Apr 22, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, simple storyline. Some R-rated scenes, typical of modern mystery novels. Characters not very engaging, seemed a little far-fetched.
Eric
Mar 05, 2012 Eric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fairly light book, easy to read and quite short. Nothing terribly exciting and a little predictable with quite stereotyped characters.
Sara
Dec 25, 2013 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad little mystery. Might check out another in the series.
Patrica
Feb 15, 2012 Patrica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-ebook
This is a nook I got free for nook. It was okay. Seemed a bit disjointed and almost as if parts were missing.
Rdrunner04
Jan 26, 2012 Rdrunner04 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an easy to read murder mystery. Small town, secrets, and a woman to find the truth.
David Rank
Jan 17, 2012 David Rank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A smooth cozy murder mystery with well drawn out characters.
Lillie
Jun 26, 2012 Lillie rated it liked it
Short, easy cozy mystery.
  • Murder in Store
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Absolutely Organize Your Family
  • Blown Away
  • Antiques Maul (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #2)
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Murder in the Round (Pamela Barnes Acoustic Mystery #5)
  • The Reluctant (Crayder Chronicles #1)
  • Orange as Marmalade (Biscuit McKee Mystery #1)
  • Summer People
  • The Grave Gourmet (Capucine Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • Price of a Bounty
  • Ghost a la Mode (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #1)
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
Marshall J. Cook taught for the University of Wisconsin-Madison for thirty years and often speaks at conferences nationwide. He has published several books on stress management and has even been a guest on Oprah to discuss the topic.
Marshall edits Extra Innings, an online newsletter for writers. He has authored thirty books and hundreds of magazine articles. Marshall holds his BA in creative writi
More about Marshall Cook...

Monona Quinn Mystery (4 books)
  • Murder at Midnight