Start by marking “Born to be Riled” as Want to Read:
Born to be Riled

Born to be Riled

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  746 ratings  ·  26 reviews

Born to be Riled is a collection of hilarious vintage journalism from Jeremy Clarkson.

Jeremy Clarkson, it has to said, sometimes finds the world a maddening place. And nowhere more so than from behind the wheel of a car, where you can see any number of people acting like lunatics while in control (or not) of a ton of metal.

In this collection of classic columns, first p

Published (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Born to be Riled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born to be Riled

Shawna
Jeremy Clarkson is a co-host of the car show Top Gear, so it's no surprise that this book is all about cars, roads, and driving. He has a great sense of humor and parts of it are funny, but all the car details just go right over my head.
Sourav Dutta
I've been a fan of Jeremy Clarkson since I saw my first episode of Top Gear some years back. I've read a few of his books since, and have absolutely loved every page. Born to be Riled is essentially a collection of Sunday newspaper articles written by Clarkson. Every single one of them is essentially the review of a car but they end up being so much more.
This book will earn you a few strange looks from those in the vicinity as you will undoubtedly break down into fits of giggling from time to t
Beverly Gardner
A compilation of his columns from The Sunday Times, and a wicked observation on just about everything. Love this mans critical eye and acerbic wit. Particularly the four stages of man;- Buying washing up bowls, Tuning the car radio to radio 2, The School Run, and finally, Gardening. How true.
Tasilee
Total over-the top-humour about cars and other things. I even agree with him on a fw points. Just a few! Coincidental I finished this on April Fool's Day!
Shari
Funny in parts but gee he is a whinger.
Rupak Banerjee
The book is a compilation of his weekly articles. This is before the era of the new BBC Top Gear. But that does not mean Clarkson is any less shrewd. He tears into manufacturers. But even more than that, his target falls on society and the British govt. Ideal for light reading and simply enjoying. No serious content. Enjoyed reading it thoroughly.
Ben Gillam
Despite being quite an old book now this is another great example of Clarkson's controversial and as a result hilariously funny wit. Not for everyone I know and he has his enemies but if you are in any way a fan I think you'll enjoy this book. Missed out on 5 stars only because it felt a little bit long.
Nada  Abandah
I was expecting a good read, fun & informative or interesting! But actually, it was a bit boring, he talks about things from a prespective that makes you question why did you like a person with that dark and twisted psyche. Never finished it.
Henri Moreaux
Started off good, few hearty laughs but became a little repetitious by the last quarter.

That's not to say it is poorly written, the articles on their own are good, but condensed together is when the problem arose.
Nick Bond
Brilliantly written. One of the few books I've literally laughed out loud to. On the other hand, very dull when taken by itself; it's like cabbage- good for you though only to accompany other mains :)
Tom Elliott
Some of the articles are dated by their focus on politicians, policies and issues of the era (mid-90s) but most is still interesting at the very least and the car stuff is pretty timeless. An excellent read.
Claire-louise Tuthill
I really enjoy Jeremy Clarkson's books and i found this book really interesting as it gave an insight into a young Jeremy Clarkson as well as some flash back memories from the 1990's.
Marzena
God, I do love the wicked sense of humour that Clarkson serves every time he writes. No one else can make up the weirdest comparison in the universe and make it work!
Annie
Brilliantly Clarkson, as usual. Unfortunately, repeatedly reading about bus lanes is, I imagine, rather akin to sitting in heavy traffic looking at them. . .
Martin
Inly found out book was published in about 2000 after I started reading t so the car reviews was woefully out of date
Whisper19
"The only way someone can raise enough money to have a garage in London is by becoming a rent boy."
Lindsay
Very amusing read. Great for while on holiday and had me giggling out loud at points.
B.B. Scott
Funny, but if you've read some of his other books, you might find it a little repetitive.
Teisha Buick
not as funny as the world according to clarkson, but still rather amusing.
Anne
Decent book but only people who like Top Gear should read it.
Janet Holmes ashman
I am a fan of JC but his books a bloody hard work :(
D.
Born to Be Riled by Jeremy Clarkson (2007)
Blacknose
Clarkson is brilliant and so english.
Elliot V
simmilar to the rest
Brian
Brian added it
Dec 27, 2014
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • Notes from the Hard Shoulder
  • Or Is That Just Me?
  • Where Have All the Bullets Gone?  (War Memoirs, #5)
  • Advanced Banter: The Qi Book of Quotations
  • This Is Not A Drill: Just Another Glorious Day In The Oilfield
  • Billy Connolly's Route 66
  • Bearded Tit
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • The Masque of Africa: Glimpses of African Belief
  • No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone
  • Turn Left At The Trojan Horse: A Would-Be Hero's American Odyssey
  • Confessions of a Wall Street Analyst: A True Story of Inside Information and Corruption in the Stock Market
  • Thanksgiving
  • My Funny Major Medical
  • Elizabeth
  • Cabin Pressure (Cabin Pressure, #1)
  • The Man Who Owns the News: Inside the Secret World of Rupert Murdoch
  • The Bachelors
Jeremy Charles Robert Clarkson (born April 11, 1960) is an English broadcaster and writer who specialises in motoring.

He writes weekly columns for The Sunday Times and The Sun, but is better known for his role on the BBC television programme Top Gear.

From a career as a local journalist in the north of England, he rose to public prominence as a presenter of the original format of Top Gear in 1988.
More about Jeremy Clarkson...
The World According to Clarkson (World According to Clarkson, #1) And Another Thing (World According To Clarkson, #2) For Crying Out Loud! (World According to Clarkson, #3) I Know You Got Soul: Machines With That Certain Something How Hard Can It Be? (World According to Clarkson, #4)