Start by marking “Samira and Samir” as Want to Read:
Samira and Samir

Samira and Samir

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  67 reviews
This is a story of love and courage, and of a remarkable woman who finds her own path in life. When the young girl, Samira, is born, her father - a brave commander fighting in the mountainous land of Afghanistan - decides to bring her up as a boy known as Samir. Soon the fact that Samir is really a girl has been forgotten. Samir learns to fight, ride and shoot, and when he ...more
Published 2006 by Pustaka Alvabet (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Samira and Samir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samira and Samir

Mariam
One of the most outlandish stories I’ve ever read. But what’s weird about the story is also what makes it brilliant: the duality of the character.

This beautiful girl (Samira) is brought up as a boy (Samir) in a culture that shames having a daughter as the first child, and worse, the only child.

Consequently, the father raises his Samira as Samir. He teaches her how to fight, ride, Shoot, haunt, etc. She dresses like a boy, talks like boy, walks like a boy. But Samira shows courage, she shows st
Vargha
One of the best books I've ever read! The story is HARD TO BELIEVE, but the writing style is awesome.
Faith Mortimer
Difficult to star rate this book as I really want to give it a 3.5*, not quite a 4*

This novel is an extraordinary true story of a young Afghan girl, who is brought up as a boy by her parents. Her father is devastated that his wife has not brought forth a boy child as his first born. There are a few parts in the telling that I found a bit confusing. For example; father needed a son as his first born, to succeed him as commander of their nomadic tribe. Not sure whether Afghan culture demanded the
Sana'a Abdul latheef
An outstanding story about a girl who was brought up as a boy in Afghanistan. It's very uniquely written and there is no sugar coating anywhere in the story, rather completely realistic. It visualizes the trauma faced by the girl and the difficult decisions she has to undertake in her life as a boy-girl. There is this tension going on between the boy and girl in her head, and she is confused about how to move on with her life. At a very young age, she witnesses all sorts of cruelties in the adul ...more
Novi Maizir
Entah knapa selalu tertarik dengan kisah perempuan-perempuan afghanistan and this one is a nice book...
Jaqueline
Me lo aspettavo completamente differente. Non mi ha convinto del tutto, racconta di una storia vera eppure non é riuscito a coinvolgermi. Forse é stata la totale assenza dei discorsi diretti, forse dei personaggi quasi astratti. La cosa positiva é stata la sua lunghezza, l'ho letto in qualche ora e forse per questo non mi ha stufata. Ho trovato comunque bellissimi i dialoghi tra la protagonista é il maestro.

«Non ho nessun sogno da vivere.
Hai molti sogni, dice l’affabile maestro.
Io lo so. Riesco
Fika
It is hard to be a woman. I feel for Samira as i grew up in a culture where girls cant really have fun. I understand her father too as my dad also had 4 girls no boys--i help him out with the house chores that mostly done by boys.

I love this book very much, how she finally grew up and just follow her heart and be who she want to be. Its a hard time, and again as i said i could understand and enjoy every page of it.

The ending is all up to us--but for me i think the best way to describe the ending
Mita
Apr 07, 2008 Mita rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: your mummy & daddy...
This book pretty much gave us the picture about how patriarchy culture have developed even in a very small community n' very personally...

Love the personal struggle n' decision that Samira trough. Also love about revealing her gender and her identity crisis...

...Samir (Samira), yang kelahirannya tidak diharapkan karena berkelamin perempuan, dipaksa, dididik dan tumbuh menjadi seorang pria oleh ayahnya yang seorang pimpinan pasukan perang di sebuah desa di kaki gunung. Ibunya hidup dalam depres
Dini Puspitarini
Buku ini saya beli pada tanggal 6 sept 2007 di pameran buku2 Islam. Waktu itu saya lagi seneng-senengnya membaca novel-novel Islami gara-gara fenomena Ayat-Ayat Cinta. Tapi ironisnya, sebenarnya Samira dan Samir sendiri bukan jenis buku yang mengandung unsur Islam di dalamnya.

Buku ini mengisahkan tentang seorang gadis bernama Samira yang dibesarkan ayahnya sebagai laki-laki bernama Samir. Kesalahan cara didik ini menjadikan hidup Samira kian kompleks. Samira mencintai sahabat laki-lakinya, Bashi
Dini Puspitarini

The beginning of the story was sort of.. cruel and therefore I absolutly did not like the story. It was until the middle of the story I really got into the book. At that point I started to like the story more and more, I started to like the characters, and I started to like the author's writing style. A lot of repetitive phrases were used, and because I couldn't connect the dots immediatly I had the impression that the author would have a lack of creativity. But let me tell you this: Don't judge ...more
Kurniatri Tisnoviandarini
pertama aku dikirimin buku ini sama temenku aku cuma tumpuk di lemari khusus bukuku...karena aku pikir..yaah...setebal itu pasti lama bacanya..hehehe
kemaren...karena udah bingung mau ngapain utk membunuh malam krn insomnia..akhirnya kuambillah itu buku..n mulai ngebaca...
sedikit gak niat sih...tapi bgt baca bab pertamanya....edaan!!!!...kenapa penggambarannya se real itu yaa...bacanya sambil nyengir2 ngilu...
akhirnya penasaran utk bab2 berikutnya..:D
silahkan baca deh...dijamin...kl yg baca perem
Makenna
Great book! The only thing that bothered me was the dialogue was without speech marks (""). And the ending was sort of lost, but overall it was an enjoyable read.
Helma
May 07, 2008 Helma added it
Great Novel!!! Great Story!!
seorang anak Manusia yang dilahirkan ke dunia sebagai seorang wanita, tetapi sang ayah mengubahnya menjadi seorang laki-laki sejati,.. Samira dan Samir,.. satu pribadi yang sungguh sangat menarik!!!
kita sebagai manusia dapat menjadi apa saja sesuai dengan keinginan kita hanya dengan membiasakan diri kita untuk berusaha dan bersungguh-sungguh dalam menggapai apa yang kita inginkan!!
Samira dan Samir memberikan wacana sendiri tentang kehidupan rakyat Afganistan,..
akhir c
Ape G
May 14, 2014 Ape G added it
An excellent read.
Khim
Boek gebaseerd op ware gebeurtenissen. Gaat over een nomaden gezin in een land waar je maar beter geboren kunt worden als man. Als vrouw stel je daar niet veel voor. De commandant en zijn vrouw verwachten een kindje en tot het grote verdriet van de commandant wordt er een meisje geboren. Hij besluit om haar te laten opgroeien als een echte man. Als Samira ouder is zal ze toch eens haar echte identiteit moeten vrijgeven. Je leest verder over de leefregels, omgeving en hoe het is om in Afganistan ...more
Annic
Buku yang bikin trenyuh, karena kebudayaan yang tak beradap menjadikan seseorang harus merubah kodrat-nya.
Kasihan, saya membacanya sampai meneteskan air mata. Seandainya dia bisa menjadi samira pasti akan menjadi wanita yang sangat bersahaja. Sampai-sampai jika itu benar-benar nyata aku berdo'a semoga dengan dia pergi meninggalkan semuanya dia bisa menemukan tempat yang baru dan mempunyai identitas baru dan sesuai dengan kodratnya bisa hidup normal mempunyai suami dan anak.
Naomi
This might be a nice book, I don't know. I read the Indonesian version which is not good in time presentation. I mean: past, present and future is not well delivered. It is difficult sometimes to understand the sequence from one story to the next. I haven't read the original version, hopefully this was good book that only lack in translation. If this book needs to be printed more, please check the translation and editing to make it better.
Stephany
Beautiful story, but not my style. If I am reading a true story I want the gritty that is poetic for what it is not an author that turns it more into a fiction. I like the base of the story and believe something like this could happen, but didn't like all the floweriness ( not a word, but you get what I mean), Repetition, voices, and etc. would have been great as a fiction, but a true story...I wanted something else.
Fatima Grace
This story is a bit far fetched. I have mixed emotions until the end.
Haneen
it deserve 2.5 out of 5..
it's written that it's a true story..but i can't believe that there are such a people are still alive in 2011..i didn't like the end...she left them all..her father was without a feeling..her mother is REALLY poor...Bashir really annoyed me...he doesn't know anything ...he doesn't worth anything...BAD MAN...
i didn't enjoy it alot..but it was kind of good
Chiara
Personalmente la ritengo "la Lady Oscar mediorientale".
Padre non soddisfatto dalla nascita di una femmina, decide di crescerla come un maschio e fare di lei un guerriero.
Comunque è un bel libro, molto intenso.
Radha Shrestha

It was quite boring at the starting as anyone can be predict what is going to happen next. However, at the end i found my eyes filled with tears. The way the story is different from normally what we read, which may be disturbing at the being but while going through the pages you can feel the flow. Well written book and inspirational esp for women.
Yati Daud
a struggle about a girl who turns into a boy and then she has to make a choice to live like a man in her country afghanistan where men are always dominating to protect her family and herself and to be able to do things that she loves to do like hunting, etc.

go read it.. it's really an interesting and nice book to read.
Masis97
Dilahirkan sebagai Samira ttp dibesarkan sbgai Samir oleh si ayah yg ingin menjaga kedudukan dan maruah dlm masyarat pedalaman Afgahanistan..membesar menjadi Samir yg disegani namun atas desakan naluri perempuannya telah cuba menjadi SAmira..mengalami konflik identiti dan akhirnya ttp menjadi Samir...
Riyana Baboo
One of the books that left me gasping. The story and characters are charming and seamless. I read this more than 7 years back and it's still lingering inside my mind. A desperate attempt to read this book again. Siba Shakib
J Cravens
A book that provides excellent insight into the brutality that surrounds women's lives in Afghanistan, and their incredible strength to endure. It also illustrates the beauty of the county and culture. Having lived in Afghanistan for six months, I found the book particularly fascinating.
Nilam
One message I like from the story, it seems that it says, "you go girl! Reach your dream! Sometimes we hardly understand man... And when people found you are different, they also become person we can't recognize. But woman has a strength more than a great physic can do, like man's" nice book!
Evrodina
Learned many things from this historical book. First, I thought buying this book will cure my personal hurt, but this book gave such a scretch in my mind thinking especially about Afghan women.I think Siba Shakib dedicated this book for every Afghanistan women specially.
  • Nancy Wake
  • A Thousand Veils
  • Please Don't Call Me Human
  • The Good Patient
  • Eating Naked: Stories
  • Wicked History Of The World
  • Ring of Fire
  • The Time Falling Bodies Take To Light: Mythology, Sexuality and the Origins of Culture
  • Gigi, Julie de Carneilhan, and Chance Acquaintances: Three Short Novels
  • The Mark Of The Angel
  • Kimono
  • Growing Up bin Laden: Osama's Wife and Son Take Us Inside Their Secret World
  • Escaping the Twilight
Writer and maker of documentaries and films, Siba Shakib was born in Iran. She grew up in Teheran and recalls learning early in life that ‘girls have lesser value than boys’. She attended a German school in Teheran. where she received lessons in five religions and where she learnt different languages. Her higher education took place mainly in Germany where she completed her studies at the Universi ...more
More about Siba Shakib...
Afghanistan, Where God Only Comes To Weep Eskandar