Is That It?

Is That It?

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Bob Geldof formed Band Aid, orchestrated Live Aid, and is the driving force behind Live 8. He has rallied the forces of rock performers all over the world and inspired millions to raise millions for the starving in Africa. He has met with world leaders and demanded that they change their aid policies. He has travelled in Africa and seen famine first-hand, and he has overse...more
Published November 18th 2005 by Pan Macmillan (first published March 1st 1986)

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourtIn the Woods by Tana FrenchThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeUlysses by James JoyceDubliners by James Joyce
Best Irish Books
250th out of 320 books — 314 voters
The Sense of an Ending by Julian BarnesA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareGoodbye to All That by Robert GravesThe Big Sleep & Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond ChandlerThe Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler
Post-Coital Literature
49th out of 98 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Noel
Coming across an old pile of books one day, I stumbled upon “Is that it?” by Bob Geldof, I thought to myself “hmm, maybe that would be interesting – I don’t know much about him”. I am glad I picked it up as this is the best autobiography I have read.

Watching the finale of the Live aid concert, it is impossible not to be bowled over by the frenzied energy of that performance. Somehow, it seemed inevitable that Geldof would be the man behind such an event. Yet, this is the story of a very ordinar...more
Steve Hoar
Okay. So I am biased. Geldof has been a Hero of mine ever since I saw the Boomtown Rats on Top of the Pops in 1978. But this autobiography is one of the most complelling, tear-jerking and humbling books I have read. From Geldof's early life in Ireland (horrid school days) to him working as a Navvy to the formation of the Boomtown rats it cuts a fast and interesting read. The end of the book shows you behind the Band Aid and Live Aid events and Geldof's famous run in with Thatcher.

Todd Glaeser
I keep thinking it is time for a Volume two. Bob's had a rather eventful life '87 and I wish I could hear Geldof's version beyond the two or three albums he's made during that time.
These days, Keith Richard's autobiography is the standard by which all other rock 'n' roll bios are measured. But before then, this book slipped through. Written shortly after Bob Geldof brought the fundraiser Live Aid to life in 1985, he openly shares a life that could just as easily gone down the gutter. His years with the Boomtown Rats are quite funny as his big mouth may well have cost them their career as a rock band. My only complaint is that Geldof hasn't updated this book to include his...more
_inbetween_
More than two decades ago I bought this, imported, for about 40 dollars, the most expensive book I ever got - and then I never read it.
I fear it's usually too late to read books you once desperately wanted, and while perusing little Bob's childhood stories I just think that all biographies are the same - all stories are the same.
Now that I read about Bob's behaviour after the thrashing by his father, I do not understand why I don't sympathise, when my views on corporal punishment correspond with...more
Daniel
Jun 05, 2008 Daniel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Daniel by: Andy Sofinowski
In my humble opinion, it's surprising that a "rocker" can write such a great book. When you add in his optimistic and self-deprecating observations about how his own struggles with poverty and later success led to the development of a social conscience from which sprung Live Aid, you get taken on a real journey so very different than that of the average rock-star formula (of arc/plummet/stint-in-rehab/triumphant-return) mostly because no other rock star seems to have his capacity for responsibil...more
Tim
Oct 08, 2011 Tim rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Tim by: a hotel receptionist
Sometimes good things happen to you by accident. If I remember correctly this is called serendipity. One sleepless night in a hotel room in Canberra, without a book, I called up Reception and asked them if they had anything to read. All they had was a copy of this book.

I still did not get any sleep that night but I read the story of one of the most genuine people I have ever come across. Bob does not pull any punches in this, either about himself or his life. Whatever you may think of Geldof per...more
Kecia
I was walking through the library trying to find another book when my eye caught this one. I was a fan of the Boomtown Rats and I cried my way through Live Aid...so I checked it out. It turned out to be a fairly good read. Bob Geldof had the resources to do something about a huge problem and he gave the rest of us a way to feel we could help too. There is a soft spot in my heart for Bob Geldof that was created while reading this book.
Liam Lahey
Read it years ago, and found it to be an entertaining and revealing read in terms of the effort behind Band-Aid, and then Live Aid. A turning point in the western world's social consciousness in the mid-1980s, I think. I was 15-years-old in 1985 and most of my musical idols were involved. How could I not be deeply interested?
Starlight
I picked this book up in a friend's house and couldn't put it down. I enjoyed the author's raw honesty about the various turbulent phases of his life. I thoroughly would recommend this book
Serge Autrique
Nostalgia to the eighties
Sarah beara
Who is Bob Geldof? Exactly! He was the lead of a "barely so so" 70's pop punk band, he started all this feed the world business and he apparently lived a very interesting life besides all that and is very honest about all of it.
Guy Granlund
Loved this book I am a big fan of the music world and all who have moved through it. Is That It? is an interesting and entertaining read about one of Ireland's most well known sons!
Randomiris
Loved this book! Love Bob Geldof and it was interesting to learn more about his life and what lead him to do "The Wall" and LiveAid. I have to check if he's written anything recently.
Lorraine Isted

I think this book makes a good read , and it is really interesting .I remember when it came out and i went and brought it and have read it again and again .
Ian
A must read after Band Aid etc. Re-read a few years ago and interesting particularly in relation to what happened to Paula Yates many years later.
Heather
Incredibly inspiring. Starts slow but once the change happens it's amazing to see how much one person can do. I heart Bob.
NYLon Carry On
The beginning was more interesting. Ireland back in the day. His childhood.
The later part was Meh.
Pamela
I will now boycott goodreads until I hear amazon have changed their poor practices.
Margaret
Interesting to hear about his life before and during the Boomtown rats
Peter Mceachern
Great read, amusing, deeply emotional, serious, laugh out loud moments.
Matt
Is That It? The Autobiography of Bob Geldof by Bob Geldof (1987)
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Signed copy. Best music bio I have read.
Iain Watson
Is That It? by Bob Geldof (1988)
Zakalwe
Zakalwe marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
  • Dear Me
  • Unforgettable Fire: Past, Present and Future--The Definitive Biography of U2
  • Caged: Memoirs of a Cage-Fighting Poet
  • Writing Home
  • I Don't Mean to Be Rude, But...: Backstage Gossip from American Idol & the Secrets that Can Make You a Star
  • An Evil Cradling
  • The Plague and I
  • Margrave Of The Marshes
  • In Front of Your Nose: 1945-1950 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 4)
  • At My Mother's Knee...: and other low joints
  • The Fifth Beatle: The Brian Epstein Story
  • Good Time Girls of the Alaska-Yukon Gold Rush: A Secret History of the Far North
  • Reach for the Sky
  • The Two of Us: My Life with John Thaw
  • Bedsit Disco Queen: How I Grew Up and Tried to Be a Pop Star
  • The Kindness of Strangers: The Autobiography
  • Aches & Pains
  • Backstage Passes: Life on the Wild Side with David Bowie
Robert Frederick Zenon Geldof KBE, known as Bob Geldof, is an Irish singer, songwriter, actor and political activist who became famous as a member of the rock band The Boomtown Rats. His achievements include organizing Live Aid and Live 8. Geldof's most notable compositions include "Rat Trap" and "I Don't Like Mondays". He also starred as Pink in Pink Floyd's 1982 film The Wall.

Geldof left the Boo...more
More about Bob Geldof...
Geldof in Africa iWITNESS Rat Trap Do They Know It's Christmas? Live Aid: World Wide Concert Book

“you may as well push yourself right to the very extremes of your capabilities” 0 likes