Hello, Red Fox

Hello, Red Fox

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  528 ratings  ·  62 reviews
It's Little Frog's birthday, and Mama Frog gets a big surprise when the guests show up for his party -- all the animals are the wrong color! Little Frog tells her she's not looking long enough, and he's right.
Published June 1st 2001 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 1998)

The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix PotterFox by Margaret WildThe Tomten and the Fox by Astrid LindgrenThe Tale of Mr. Tod by Beatrix PotterFour Famished Foxes and Fosdyke by Pamela Duncan Edwards
Picture books about foxes
26th out of 76 books — 21 voters
The Fox in the Dark by Alison GreenHello, Red Fox by Eric CarleFox in Socks by Dr. Seuss
Preschool-'X'
2nd out of 3 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Teri
REALLY fun book!!! You look at the "red" picture with a dot for 10 seconds and then look at the dot on the next page and you see the image in the corresponding complimentary color! Great book for discussing the science behind it all--the rods in your eye get fatigued when you look at one color long enough, you see the complimentary color coming out. My kids at 5 and younger are too young to see the images pop out. But I LOVED it! I even think high school kids would love it.
Miriam
I have to say I'm impressed. I never thought I'd ever see anything this new and truly original in a picture book. The idea is just so fascinating, and it is executed in an engaging and unforgettable way. I'm sorry it isn't three times as long. Unfortunately, with the illustrations being so the focus, the story suffers.
April Castle
I would use this book to introduce the color wheel and opposites. If you stare at dots in the book and then stare away to next dot, you will see the complementary color. This book would be hard to do as a whole reading but you could use it as an example and put it in the book box for the week.
Carol
This was an Eric Carl book that I hadn't seen before. I really like the concept and think kids will have fun staring at the dots and making the pictures appear. It gave me a bit of a headache though since there are so many dots that you have to stare at.
Becca Dunlap
Froggy invites friends over for a party and every one is the wrong color! This is an interactive book about color. The color you see in the picture is not the color the animal is. Might be a challenge for a younger audience.
Marie Summers
I think this book is more interesting for adults. The four to eight year old crowd that love most of his books would not have the patience to make this book work. It demonstrates a rather sophisticated visual trick.
Emkoshka
The guest bedroom at my parents' place doubles as an art studio and I'm always entranced by the colour wheel that's displayed on a wardrobe door opposite the bed. Thanks to Eric Carle, I now know that Goethe was not only a German writer and philosopher but also the creator of that wheel and colour theory. Hello, Red Fox is a bit gimmicky and repetitive and reminded me a little of the Magic Eye books of my childhood, which I hated because I could never see the illusions behind the images. But it...more
Bonnie Gayle
This was one I was thinking of using for my final storytelling set, but it would not have worked at all.

The story is a simple and repetitive one. A boy invites animal friends to his party, and says, for example, "hello red fox!" his mom tells him that the fox is green, and the son says to look closer.

Here we reach my problem with the book. You have to stare at the green fox (they give you a dot to focus on) and then when you look at the next blank page, you see the after image, which is now red....more
Jamie
Hello, Red Fox is an interactive book. It tells a story about a frog who invited lots of animals to his birthday party. He calls them a different color than his mother sees them. The reader is supposed to stare at the picture for ten seconds and then move their eyes and they will supposedly see the same picture in a different color.
The pictures are the main part of this story. Eric Carle is a very talented artist. He uses his artistic ability to create illusions. Somehow, he drew the pictures s...more
Crystal Lough
Hello, Red Fox is a picture book. It is designed for children of primary ages but can definitely be enjoyed by older children. The text holds a plot line but the story is held mainly in the pictures. On every page it has a illustration of an animal where you stare at the dot for ten seconds and then when you look at the blank page next to it you still see the image. I rated this book a 5 because this book has many strong qualities. The plot line definitely would hold their attention but the chal...more
Kevin Wilkinson
I love the interactive aspect of "Hello, Red Fox" by Eric Carle. The activity of involving the reader into visualizing a small green object by looking at the small dot was a very clever tool of engagement.

I thought that the voice that Carle exhibited in "Hello, Red Fox" was bounded with the illustrations. That is, the words would have little to no power without the illustrates connected to those words. I don't know if that means Carle's voice in this book was weak or is that just because "Hello...more
Dominique St-pierre
If my students hadn't been so engaged, I don't think I would have liked this book as much as I did. My K students were hooked! They couldn't get enough of focusing on the dot and having everything change color. It's worth reading so that you can talk about colors, tell your art teacher how smart you are, and have a little fun.
Farah
Buku ini bermain-main dengan ilusi warna.
Itulah kenapa judul dari si buku ini adalah Hello, Red Fox, sementara si rubahnya sendiri digambarkan berwarna hijau.
Jadi ceritanya, kalau kita terlalu lama memandang sesuatu yang berwarna hijau, lalu kita mengarahkan pandangan kita ke bidang yang berwarna putih, akan terbentuk bayangan menyerupai benda yang semua kita tatap, tapi warna bayangan itu adalah merah.
Biru jadi Oranye, dan Ungu jadi Kuning.
Ga percaya? Itu ada teorinya.
Dan eric Carle menjelask...more
Chris
This one will require a more patient reader, but I can imagine some early grade children being very excited about this one.
jacky
Dec 06, 2010 jacky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschoolers and up
Mike and I were actually kinda fighting over this book. I picked it out because we only have a few Eric Carle books left in our library's collection that we haven't tried. I immediately was confused why the fox was green. The gimmick of this book is the after image you get in your eyes after staring at something. Its very cool and I'm sure kids who are old enough to follow the directions (stare at a dot til the count of ten, then a different dot to the count of three) will love it and think its...more
Cheyenne
Cute book for older children. Not so good for younger children or a read aloud with many children.
Amberly
This book is so cool! Each set of pages has an illustration on the left with a small black dot in the center. After reading the text you stare at the small black dot for 10 seconds and then look at the page on the right. The right page is plain white with a small black dot. You stare at that dot for 3 seconds and then you see the illustration from the left only the colors have changed to the complementary colors, i.e. yellow is now purple, red is now green etc. Very clever. Small children might...more
Treebear
was one of my favorite books when I was little!
Tricia
Eric Carle is great! This book would be great for maybe 6 years+, so it will probably gain a star in a few years. It's a very simple story, but the neat thing about the illustrations is that they are after images-you stare at the green fox, then look away and back to the facing page, which is blank, and you "see" a red fox. For now, not so good for a toddler because if you read the text as is, you talk about an orange fish, but the illustration is blue. Would be fun for older kids though!
Mandy Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

We did not finish this book. It was a silly story, which in of it's self is not the point. But to read this story and enjoy it you had to stare at a dot for 10 seconds and then look at another dot and supposedly you would see the same picture in a different color. It did not work for us and without that the story did not make sense. Maybe if you have perfect vision this might work for you! I say it's pretty hard for younger children to understand let alone "see".
Tichina Fung-chung
Hello, Red Fox is a picture book about a frog who has a birthday party and invites all of his animal friends. The problem is, his mom thinks every animal is green, so then baby frog tells his mom to stare at the animal and she will see it's true color. The book is really cool because to see the animal, you are suppose to stare at a black dot for a couple seconds and then the animal appears. For that reason I wouldn't read this book as a read-aloud but would read it to one or two students.
Heather
I so wanted this book to work. The idea and presentation is wonderful and I think it an excellent addition to any discussion on color.

It's the 'whole stare at a dot thing then look on the next page and you'll see a different color' thing. And several other cool tricks like that.

But the kids couldn't get their eyes to 'see' the different colors. It took me a while to make the change myself.

I'll try it again when they're older to see if it's just an age thing.
Dianna
Not much of a story; more of an optical illusion book. You're supposed to stare at each picture for 10 seconds, then look at the blank page opposite and see the picture in complementary colors. Definitely not age-appropriate for Carle's main audiences. Also your eyes get tired by the end. I might come back to this when my son is much older and knows more about complementary colors and optical illusions (and is able to focus on one picture for ten whole seconds).
Kirei
First, it felt like I needed new glasses, and then it made my eyeballs hurt! This book teaches about colors in an interesting way.

ETA: I just read reviews. This book is NOT one of those Eric Carle books for toddlers. To understand this book, the child has to have a bit of maturity and attention span. It is an optical illusion--which toddlers just can not sit still for. Best age range would be elementary school.
Dolly
Sep 09, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Shelves: childrens, 2008, science
Fascinating color tricks based on Goethe's color wheel, although I recommend this one for older children. I think our five year old was able to see the opposite color on the white page once or twice, but it didn't work with our three year old. We'll have to borrow this book again when they are older. The second time we read this, our oldest could see most of them, but our youngest only saw one or two of them.
Edward Creter
This picture book helps kids to mix colors with their eyes! A red fox who is green? Whodathunk?
Megan B
There is supposedly a visual/mental trick to reading this book, one that was completely lost on all of us. We couldn't get it to "work". Plus, reading it with a two year old, saying things like "Hello, Red Fox" when the one they are showing is CLEARLY green (visual effects, etc) it is just confusing. Like I don't have enough problems teaching him colors. Jeesh.
Summer
We have read Eric Carle books since my daughter was a baby. I have always enjoyed them, so it's nice to be able to read Eric Carle books now that she's 5 without them being too babyish. Admittedly, I quite quickly got tired of staring at the colored pictures, but my daughter seemed to find it a source of endless entertainment.

Takeisha Hannor
It was a good book to teach children about science. It also has great pop-ups...If you stare at dots in the book and then stare away to next dot, you will see the complementary color. This book would be hard to do as a whole reading but you could use it as an example to show how things are related.
This looks very cool, but I didn't see what I was supposed to, so it wasn't as fun. Still, it's a cool concept: stare at a color for a while, then look at a white page and the color's "opposite" or complementary color will faintly appear.
MCC Children's Li...: Colors 1 1 Apr 08, 2012 09:11PM
  • The Greedy Python
  • This Is the Way We Go to School: A Book About Children Around the World
  • What Moms Can't Do
  • What Mommies Do Best / What Daddies Do Best
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
  • Mama Cat Has Three Kittens
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
  • Fish is Fish
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play With Their Friends?
  • The Teeny-Tiny Woman
  • Froggy's First Kiss
  • Thump, Quack, Moo: A Whacky Adventure
  • The Negro Speaks of Rivers
  • Black on White
  • 10 Minutes till Bedtime
  • Guji Guji
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • Amos et Boris
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around...more
More about Eric Carle...
The Very Hungry Caterpillar The Very Busy Spider The Grouchy Ladybug The Very Quiet Cricket From Head to Toe