Start by marking “Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up” as Want to Read:
Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up

Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This book can be an invaluable aid in regaining digestive health. The veteran author and physician gives all the information needed to understand how digestion works and what foods will bring about a healthy digestive system. The right dietary changes can prevent, treat and in some cases completely eliminate a host of digestive disorders, many of which are prevalent among ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Healthy Living Publications (first published July 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up

Rachel
Jun 29, 2009 Rachel marked it as to-read
I bought this book for my mom to read when she was visiting me awhile back, but I've still got it on my bookshelf. I should read it! I saw on McDougall web site where he says eating coconuts is not allowed. I'm surprised by that. I thought raw coconuts are healthy to eat? And I saw on a goodreads review that he apparently doesn't allow avocados either? Hmmm. If that's true, I think that's very strange. I eat the whole avocado all by itself, like other people might eat a banana or an apple, and I ...more
Wendy
My 8-year old suffers from constipation. We've been working with a GI specialist for over a year. I hate that he's been on Miralax and Ex-Lax for an extended period of time. When asked about diet and nutrition, the practitioner's response is, "He should be fine with a 'well-balanced diet.'" I'm not 100% sure I agree with that, and am now more determined to see a nutritionist to address this matter. I think my whole family would benefit from a plant-based diet.
Catherine
Talk about infomercial! If you like them then read this one. I will be a bit more selective browsing books at Whole Foods. Fool me once....
Brandon Zaffini
Extremely informative, and a resource to keep drawing from in the future. The teaching style wasn't my favorite, but I wasn't reading this book for its verbal eloquence.
Karol K
This book will upgrade the quality of life for many people. I reccommend it highly.

Please read and share. There are many people out there that have chronic digestive ailments and need help, not a quick fix temporary OTC remedy.

This book is the answer.
Soul
Broaden my understanding of he digestive system and has a very intriguing method of telling it's story.
Colleen
Great information. Not sure I would follow his diet but will incorporate many of his ideas.
Lisa Oppacher
Lisa Oppacher marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Russell Martin
Russell Martin is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Suzanne Favreau
Suzanne Favreau marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Albert  Ellenich
Albert Ellenich marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Chrissy Faery
Chrissy Faery marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Joby Owens
Joby Owens marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Keokani Marciel
Keokani Marciel marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Anne Williams
Anne Williams marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John A. McDougall (Born 1947) is an American Irish physician and author whose philosophy is that degenerative disease can be prevented and treated with a low-fat, whole foods, plant-based/vegan diet – especially one based on starches such as potatoes, rice, and corn – which excludes all animal foods and added vegetable oils.
More about John A. McDougall...
The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good! The Mcdougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss The Mcdougall Quick and Easy Cookbook The McDougall Program: 12 Days to Dynamic Health The McDougall Plan

“So who are the unfortunate ones who fall prey to the damaging effects of H. pylori? What makes these bacteria lie dormant in some, while in others they compromise the defenses of the stomach lining and facilitate the development of ulcer disease?
We know, at least in part, the answers to these questions. People who take NSAIDs and are at the same time infected with H. pylori are at least sixty-one times more likely to develop ulcers of the stomach and/or duodenum than are those who are not infected and do not take NSAIDs. In addition, those suffering from malnutrition (actually overnutrition) caused by the typical Western diet are more likely to develop ulcers in the presence of H. pylori. Research has shown that a healthful diet including lots of fruits and vegetables loaded with vitamin C protects against infection with H. pylori. Interestingly, extracts from a variety of plants, such as garlic, thyme, and East African herbal plants, inhibit the growth of H. pylori in the test tube.”
0 likes