Start by marking “Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up” as Want to Read:
Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up

Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Dr. John McDougall breaks through cultural taboos with a candid, humorous look at how the digestive tract functions. Join Dr. McDougall in his office as he motivates two of his middle-aged patients to make wiser lifestyle choices in order to regain their digestive health. Learn how a low-fat, cholesterol-free, plant-based diet can prevent and cure constipation, hemorrhoids ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Healthy Living Publications (first published July 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up

Stephanie
Oct 07, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-2015
Love McDougall. Hadn't read this one before, but have devoured his others. I am following his oil free strict vegetarian diet and feeling great! Thanks, Dr. McDougall !!
Rachel
Jun 29, 2009 Rachel marked it as to-read
I bought this book for my mom to read when she was visiting me awhile back, but I've still got it on my bookshelf. I should read it! I saw on McDougall web site where he says eating coconuts is not allowed. I'm surprised by that. I thought raw coconuts are healthy to eat? And I saw on a goodreads review that he apparently doesn't allow avocados either? Hmmm. If that's true, I think that's very strange. I eat the whole avocado all by itself, like other people might eat a banana or an apple, and I ...more
Wendy
Feb 09, 2013 Wendy rated it really liked it
My 8-year old suffers from constipation. We've been working with a GI specialist for over a year. I hate that he's been on Miralax and Ex-Lax for an extended period of time. When asked about diet and nutrition, the practitioner's response is, "He should be fine with a 'well-balanced diet.'" I'm not 100% sure I agree with that, and am now more determined to see a nutritionist to address this matter. I think my whole family would benefit from a plant-based diet.
Catherine
Apr 29, 2010 Catherine rated it did not like it
Talk about infomercial! If you like them then read this one. I will be a bit more selective browsing books at Whole Foods. Fool me once....
Maria
Dec 19, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it
A great book for those suffering digestive issues that conventional medicine finds difficult to diagnose. Written by an MD in plain language it provides an introduction to the myriad of conditions that exist and a starting point for further exploration of your individual symptoms. In no way a replacement for medical advice, the book gives you a starting point for further discussion with your integrative medical specialist. Interesting dietary considerations which again provide potential alternat ...more
sharon spradlin
Sep 30, 2015 sharon spradlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great information!

This read has a plethora of good sound medical advice on how nutrition effects you health and wellness. I am now completely vegan in my diet and I feel better. When I read some of th effects foods can have on my health and organs I am even more certain that eliminating animal products and fat is the key to the quality of life I want to have.
JPP Smorenburg
Jun 04, 2015 JPP Smorenburg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Tune Up

This concise work is invaluable to reassess your eating habits. Fully explanatory for the layman looking for good health. Caveat: high price, ( though the information is potentially life changing in a positive way ) cheap scan used for this ebook but fully readable. Highly recommended. Otherwise, buy or obtain The starch revolution by the same author.
Liz
Apr 26, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Easily readable and full of lists to summarize his points. Another in a long list of books that leads us away from processed food and into a more natural diet. I read through it in a day.
Brandon Zaffini
Oct 24, 2014 Brandon Zaffini rated it liked it
Extremely informative, and a resource to keep drawing from in the future. The teaching style wasn't my favorite, but I wasn't reading this book for its verbal eloquence.
Karol K
Aug 10, 2012 Karol K rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-page-116
This book will upgrade the quality of life for many people. I reccommend it highly.

Please read and share. There are many people out there that have chronic digestive ailments and need help, not a quick fix temporary OTC remedy.

This book is the answer.
Jamie
Mar 05, 2016 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Interesting book by my new favorite guru. It's a quick read, and now I understand the use of the gallbladder!
Soul
Sep 23, 2011 Soul rated it it was amazing
Broaden my understanding of he digestive system and has a very intriguing method of telling it's story.
Colleen
Jul 26, 2013 Colleen rated it really liked it
Great information. Not sure I would follow his diet but will incorporate many of his ideas.
Rick
Rick rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Jia L
Jia L rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2016
Mukesh Kumar
Mukesh Kumar marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Mayouri
Mayouri marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Katie Ellen
Katie Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Dawn L
Dawn L marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Phil Kelley
Phil Kelley rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Mrs M E Huxtable
Mrs M E Huxtable rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Narjes
Narjes added it
May 23, 2016
Jade Geary
Jade Geary marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Mary Aston
Mary Aston marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
John A. McDougall (Born 1947) is an American Irish physician and author whose philosophy is that degenerative disease can be prevented and treated with a low-fat, whole foods, plant-based/vegan diet – especially one based on starches such as potatoes, rice, and corn – which excludes all animal foods and added vegetable oils.
More about John A. McDougall...

“So who are the unfortunate ones who fall prey to the damaging effects of H. pylori? What makes these bacteria lie dormant in some, while in others they compromise the defenses of the stomach lining and facilitate the development of ulcer disease?
We know, at least in part, the answers to these questions. People who take NSAIDs and are at the same time infected with H. pylori are at least sixty-one times more likely to develop ulcers of the stomach and/or duodenum than are those who are not infected and do not take NSAIDs. In addition, those suffering from malnutrition (actually overnutrition) caused by the typical Western diet are more likely to develop ulcers in the presence of H. pylori. Research has shown that a healthful diet including lots of fruits and vegetables loaded with vitamin C protects against infection with H. pylori. Interestingly, extracts from a variety of plants, such as garlic, thyme, and East African herbal plants, inhibit the growth of H. pylori in the test tube.”
1 likes