Start by marking “Pickle-Chiffon Pie” as Want to Read:
Pickle-Chiffon Pie

Pickle-Chiffon Pie

Pickle-Chiffon Pie is a story without a villain. No fighting, no bloodshed, but still exciting and fast-moving. It is a tale that stretches the imagination: the reader must accept a juggling lion (six cans of root beer at once!) and a sixteen-foot Gazoo. Not a hard assignment for a child, but perhaps a bit more difficult for a wordly grown-up.

Take heart, you staid elders.

Published November 15th 2004 by Purple House Press (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Pickle-Chiffon Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pickle-Chiffon Pie

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
252nd out of 1,946 books — 1,270 voters
Pickle Impossible by Eli StutzPickle, Pickle, Pickle Juice by Patty WolcottPicky Mrs. Pickle by Christine M. SchneiderArthur In a Pickle by Marc BrownPurple Pickle Juice by Erica Farber
Pickle-mania
9th out of 12 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Jan 13, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I think this is perfection in the children's books category! The story is whimsical and touching. It relies on human emotion instead of a villain to help teach kindness and love.

I remember my mom reading this aloud to me when I was a child. For many years it was out of print and selling for over $75 on ebay. But it's now been reprinted and available for our rising generation to read and enjoy!
Nathaniel Hardman
Jan 23, 2013 Nathaniel Hardman rated it it was amazing
So many baffling details. When I was a kid, I just read it and enjoyed it. Now I read it and enjoy it and think, "Why does that animal have three noses?" Really fun book.
Pat Lusink
Aug 28, 2014 Pat Lusink rated it it was amazing
I got this book as Christmas gift when I was about 8 years old. It is one of my all time favourites and I still own it - 45 years later! I'm so happy to hear that it is back in print so that another generation can discover the joy of pickle chiffon pie. The illustrations are amazing and the story is so endearing. It makes you laugh and cry and teaches a beautiful lesson.
Roxanna
May 30, 2014 Roxanna rated it really liked it
So random, but fun and with a good story and moral (which I really like.) If I had read this as a kid, I'm sure it would have been a favorite.
Cmeiss330
Apr 13, 2016 Cmeiss330 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute story. The artwork along with the fairy tale reminds me of the Fractured Fairy Tales on Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Connie
May 15, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
So, here we have a princess, a king who loves pickle-chiffon pie, and three suitors.

And the three suitors go to find something AMAZING to show their devotion to the princess so they can get married. (Spoiler - the one the princess likes is the one who wins. And you know, she has good taste!)

They each find something great, but the third suitor has to leave his prize - a Gazoo who bakes pickle chiffon pies! - behind because it has babies. *sniff*

Bless his soul, the king realizes a great story and
Eva
Jan 20, 2010 Eva rated it it was amazing
Jenni
Sep 30, 2015 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Loved it. It's a silly tale showing the value of kindness, love, and consideration for others.
Shelly
Aug 24, 2016 Shelly rated it really liked it
Really fun story. Loved the illustrations and the made up creatures.
Rachel
May 28, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
A delightful 70's looking kids' book with a big heart!
Cosette
Jan 13, 2016 Cosette rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read this year
Casey
Feb 05, 2014 Casey rated it it was amazing
Delightful!
Heather
May 11, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
36 months - This is already becoming a hit with O. We've read it twice today and she was begging Daddy to read it a third time. Cute story and I like the combination of black and white and color illustrations to make parts of the scene "pop". The story does seem a bit long to me for what it is. By midway through the section where the princes are in the forest I'm ready to move the story along. We will have to see what else this author has written.
Gretchen
Apr 16, 2008 Gretchen rated it really liked it
My daughter got this book for her 4th birthday from a friend; I had never read it before but it became one of our favortes and a good one for teaching tolerance and what really matters in life. It finally fell apart--I tried to find it at used book stores and on-line when my daughter was in college--once I found it but it was $80.00 so I couldn't get it--a few years ago she found it somewhere and was able to finally have another copy.
Donald Fite
Apr 14, 2014 Donald Fite rated it it was amazing
A beloved childhood favorite.
Oanh
I love this book! I came across this book in my 1st grade field placement. This story is about a king who is tired of having to share his pickle-chiffon pie with all of his daughter's potential suitors, so he has decided to put an end to this! His daughter MUST find someone to marry and right away! This story teaches readers an important lesson that having an honest and kind heart is the best gift of all.
Inspired Kathy
Jul 09, 2010 Inspired Kathy rated it it was amazing
2 cups imagination
2 teaspoons humor
Exciting illustrations, one per page
At least one dragon
2 tablespoons silliness
Combine: 1 beautiful princess with 1 hero, well seasoned
A pinch of moral value
Mix together in a lively plot

Pickle Chiffon Pie is a great book. A little longer than many of the read alouds I read to my 4 year old but she sat, listened to and enjoyed this book.
Rachel
Mar 31, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
As a child this was my absolute favorite story ever! Unfortunately I believe it is out of print now. I have my original falling apart copy, and my aunt found me one at a thrift store as well (in a bit better condition). Such a cute story, and a welcome change to some of the typical princess marries the prince stories!
JaNeal
Feb 18, 2013 JaNeal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A ridiculously delightful story spun from the tradition of several folk and fairy tales. The playful exaggerations and unexpected details make the text and illustrations one surprise after the other. This book has survived several generations of young readers. It's emphasis on kindness is an added plus!
Tracy
Nov 09, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Sweet story about a king and a princess and the princess's three suitors who must bring the king something AMAZING from the forest to win the princess's hand in marriage. Each prince finds some truly amazing things--that forest is full of wonderful creatures! What amazing thing will the king like best?
Jeri
Oct 06, 2011 Jeri rated it it was amazing
My mom bought this book for me when I was little and Giant's Come in Different Sizes for my sister. I LOVED them both so much. I found them again as an adult before having my first son and I still enjoy reading them, cute stories and cute pictures.
Sharon
Jan 22, 2008 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I came to love this book at my grandparents' house. I read it every time I visit. I recently became the proud owner of my very own copy. (It's just now back in print!) A fabulous princess story that warms your heart and cheers you up!
Alice
Dec 26, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
I thought it was fine. We bought all the books of Jolly Roger Bradfield for a patron and I read them first. I like that it teaches kindness amidst a fairy tale facade. It also have the happily ever after which is always fun!
Alnora
I loved everything about this book. The pictures were so colorful, funny, and unique. I liked that the author/illustrator wasn't afraid to mix all kinds of crazy, fun colors together. The story and the message were also great.
Nancy
Jul 11, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nancy by: Becky
Shelves: children-s
More 3 1/2 stars for me. A nice story with a great message. What's not to like? I would have to read it aloud to some children to see if the kind of crazy creatures really work. It's a book that could grow on you.
Kate
Mar 04, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite picture book. A story where the biggest heart is worth more that the biggest material possesion. I story for all ages, and I often wonder what pickle chiffon pie would really taste like.
Rob
Jul 11, 2008 Rob rated it it was amazing
This is my all-time favorite childrens book. My copy has my name in it, written by my mother in 1975...I think. At one point I found a copy of this book in similar condition selling online for over $100.
J-boo
Mar 01, 2008 J-boo rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites when I was a child, but almost nobody I knew had ever heard of it. It's such a sweet story, one everybody should have the pleasure of reading, as a child or an adult!
Shira Karp
Jul 17, 2009 Shira Karp rated it it was amazing
I used to read this book every night when I couldn't sleep. I've saved it from many an attempt to be given away by the parentals and now it is safely here in my apartment where I can look after it.
Rebekah
Nov 12, 2008 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Read about 20 times this week, and it is still charming. Maybe because I liked it as a kid, or maybe because it reminds me of a delicious confection (mouth is watering).
  • Jennie's Hat
  • If I Built a Car
  • Kate and the Beanstalk
  • Ugly Pie
  • Be Quiet, Mike!
  • Global Warning (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #8)
  • Angelina and Alice
  • Before You Were Mine
  • Giving Thanks: A Native American Good Morning Message
  • The Luck of the Loch Ness Monster: A Tale of Picky Eating
  • Quiet on the Set! (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #10)
"Jolly" Roger Bradfield is perhaps best known for his work as a children's book author and illustrator, though he also worked as a cartoonist on the daily comic strip Dooley's World.

He retired from writing in 1988 to focus on painting.
More about Jolly Roger Bradfield...