Start by marking “The Soul Ripper (Twisted Souls #1)” as Want to Read:
The Soul Ripper (Twisted Souls #1)

The Soul Ripper (Twisted Souls #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Residents in a post-apocalyptic world known as the Territory of Malm gave up their rights to freedom and free will long ago. Instead, they placed their faith in the Office of Souls to keep them safe after the human race was almost annihilated in the time known only as ‘Before’.

Procreation is tightly regulated because infants are born soulless – a painful reminder of the pu...more
Published (first published December 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Soul Ripper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul Ripper

Kay
I was given a digital copy of this book from LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. I do not know the author. All opinions expressed are completely my own.

This book has a very interesting storyline. All babies are born soulless. Souls are generated at the soul fountain. They are given out in a kind of lottery form. If a person is lucky enough to receive a soul, they had better be a very good person and follow all the rules or it can be taken back. People without souls, for the most part...more
Grampy
"The Soul Garden" by Cege Smith begins "There was Before and then there was Now." "Now" is when the story takes place, and nobody talks about "Before." A strongly pseudo-religious hierarchy is in control Now, and rules are very definitely made to be obeyed. People do not simply "have children" whenever they want to. Anyone fortunate enough is selected to become parents, and the number of children permitted is based entirely on the needs of the community in which the parents reside. Jobs and/or c...more
Georgia
What If Souls Were Given and Could Be Taken?

Set in the very distant future, The Soul Garden is the first in a new series by Cege Smith. We are only given a few details about this world and the rest is left pretty ambiguous. The past is know as Before, where some apocalyptic event occurred that humanity had to drag itself out of, or so I imagine from what we're told.

In this world, babies are born soulless. When a human has no soul their appearance is different; they have grey skin, don't smile, d...more
Michael Brookes
The Soul Ripper is a fantasy/post-apocalyptic novel that starts with an interesting premise. The world has fallen is some undermined time in the past and babies are now born without souls, as such they are in effect little monsters that grow up as such until they are granted a soul through a special ceremony.

The story concerns a group of parents who have been chosen to have souls granted to their offspring and the people involved in that particular day's ceremony. Unfortunately someone long forg...more
Melissa Bryan
The only problem I had with this book is that it was too short…I know it is a first in a series but I want more…NOW.

I fell in love with this book after the first chapter…the story is brilliant and I felt like I was in the Garden watching as it materialize. The characters are believable and very likable and/or hated. The story builds quickly and keeps you interested and reading until you have finished the book and are looking for the next installment in the series…which I hope is coming soon, I c...more
Stacey
I read this book although it was called The Soul Garden and not The Soul Ripper, not sure if there was a name change along the way but it is a good read. I feel there is a lot there that it is opening up to and I think the rest of the books in the series have a lot to offer. Babies are born without a soul and have to wait until they are called to be implanted with a recycled soul. It took some time to really build up but it does get really good and is a nice twist on zombies as this one basicall...more
Julie Baswell
A very short book with an ending that makes you want to read more. Some children are born soulless. Since there is a shortage of souls, they must be put on a waiting list to receive a soul. The story follows one child to her Soul Implantation Day. Of course that is the day that evil takes over and the book ends.
Marenda
WOW this was a crazy story. I enjoyed it so much that I can't wait to read book #2. It was short but, I thought it was wonderfully written. It gave just enough background of the characters and story line to keep you informed of what is going on in the present. The balance was almost perfect. Great read :)
Lenore Kosinski
2.5 stars -- I don't know if I just wasn't in the right mood...but I had a hard time getting into this one. It's an interesting premise...but I have way too many other books/series on my list to keep going with this one.
Richard Gillispie
This is a great story. It had me from the start. A world were souls are given out like in a lottery an souls are taken for breaking the law. Cege Smith has another great work here. I will be getting the next book in series.
Karen
Starting out I was very skeptical about this book, but as I kept reading it just kept getting better and better. I look forward to reading the rest of the series as they come out.
Gina
I liked this book a lot. Being a prequel I wasn't expecting much (like this disappointing "mini books" on Kindle..) but I was surprised. I can't wait for more.
Crystal Palmer
This book.. is absolutely phenomenal. Why does this not have a higher rating!? I was engaged and memorized throughout the whole book. I literally could not stop reading!
The author puts such a unique spin on things that I've never read anything like it and I loved it! (obviously). it was refreshing. it's from the viewpoints of several different characters which put me off at first but it really made the story come together.
you definitely need to take the time to read this. magic, mystery, good v...more
Nightwing
A little hard to get through, but enthralling nonetheless and worth spending the time with.
Susie Toman
This was a fantastic short to introduce the premise of a larger storyline: well written with an exciting climax of an ending. I knew when I picked it up that it was supposed to be a zombie book...what I didn't expect was that it is a zombie origins book. Soulless baby zombies born of natural parents? Cool, that's definitely an interesting twist. Oh...oh, there's more to it than that and this is just the beginning of the zombie hoard? Fantastic!

Cege Smith took her time developing a dystopia and...more
Susan Lulgjuraj
There is a story in there, I promise.

Even though I wasn't sure, I kept telling myself that and felt compelled to finish reading the short story, The Soul Garden by Cege Smith.

My hope was founded, once I got past the back story and extra words that it took to get there. The first part has too much information, at times going between memories, which created the opposite effect of I believe Smith was aiming.

There was too much story to create tension. As readers open the book they met are with about...more
Lauren
As the human race is on the brink of destruction Soul Implantation Day is upon them. Babies are born soulless creatures making their appearance different. To get a soul they have to go through Soul Distribution day where only the lucky are chosen to receive one.

There is not much the reader is told about this future world that has befallen the human race; Smith leaves this part up to the reader to try and decipher for their own. I would have liked to have known more about what lead humanity into...more
Cindy
Set in the far distant future after some unexplained disaster. The world has suffered dramatically and humanity has all but died out. Parents must apply for a procreation permit, and babies arrive without their souls. They are gray, hungry, and without emotion. Then the day comes when they visit the The Soul Garden and their babies are ensouled. But something goes wrong this time around and instead, the process creates a monster who devours everyone in sight.

I found this pretty disturbing as wel...more
Larissa Lee
Not bad. I was intrigued enough to read through to the end, and the pace was quick and enjoyable. It was quite short, though.
Nathan
I got this book as a First Reads Giveaway. It was a good book, but just too short. Just as I was getting into it it was over. It really deserves a 3.7 only because it was good, but not great! I liked the background, and hope the author puts more in the next book that is written.
Wren
Wren marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
BookishDreamer
BookishDreamer marked it as to-read
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
S.R. Booth
S.R. Booth marked it as to-read
Pam Cooper
Pam Cooper marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
B.T. Mienoré
B.T. Mienoré marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Crystal Takacs
Crystal Takacs marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Everyone loves a good origin tale. Cege's started when she was eight years old. She snuck out of bed late one night and into the living room to watch TV. Flipping through stations with the volume turned down low, she came across a rerun of a movie called The Exorcist. She was terrified yet mesmerized.

Cege wasn't unfamiliar with the idea of the battle between good and evil. She attended Catholic sc...more
More about Cege Smith...
Heiress of Lies (Bloodtruth #1) Edge of Shadows (Shadows, #1) The Queen's Betrayal (Bloodtruth #2) Shadows Deep (Shadows, #2) Ageless (An Immortal End Prequel)