Start by marking “Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 7” as Want to Read:
Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 7

Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 7 (Invincible Ultimate Collection #7)

At last! The seventh hardcover collection of the greatest superhero comic in the universe! This volume reprints the "Viltrumite War" storyline, as well as the stories showing the ripple effects on Earth resulting from Mark's decisions following that landmark battle.

Collects issues #71–84.
Published March 6th 2012 by Image Comics (first published February 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Invincible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invincible

Frank
Jun 07, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-omnibus
The story starts right where the last volume left off. Atom Eve deals with pregnancy and doesn't know how to tell Invincible.
Meanwhile Invincible is off planet united with his father and brother battling against the last of the Vultrimites, which results in a stunning conclusion for now.
Benjamin
Jan 23, 2016 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I think I need to start wearing a diaper while reading these.
Cheese
Apr 03, 2016 Cheese rated it really liked it
This series just keeps getting better.
Brendan Nicholls
Oct 02, 2016 Brendan Nicholls rated it liked it
This volume was quite weak and never took the chance of livening things up. There was way too much self development and little conflict at certain points. This felt like some of the mid way points of The Walking Dead, story being thrown at us with no purpose. Kirkman definitely sunk to mediocre at various points, villains admitting wrong doing, the giant war was not that giant, I honestly felt like throwing the book out the door. When Invincible returned home after 10 months away it hit a giant ...more
Christopher
My natural and immediate tendency is to gripe about this collection. I want to say "I get it - you enjoy knocking teeth out of, punching holes through, ripping arms off of, and doing anything short of decapitating your main characters and then giving them a little bed rest to recover before saving the world again." Kirkman is by all appearances a creative genius, so why does he so often go back to the well of ultraviolence for ultraviolence's sake? Much of the first half of this book resembled ...more
Javier Muñoz
Este es posiblemente el tomo de invencible más espectacular hasta la fecha, la guerra viltrumita en todo su esplendor, grandes escenas de combate, empacho de páginas dobles, violencia y destrucción en dosis planetarias... y al final todo se resuelve de forma impredecible. Pero no acaba ahí la cosa, hay eventos inesperados que cambiarán la tierra para siempre, nuevos y viejos enemigos, personajes que sufren grandes cambios, Mark empieza a madurar y a pasar de idealista a pragmático, cambiando su ...more
Nancy
Apr 24, 2013 Nancy rated it it was ok
Exciting and very interesting conclusion to the Viltrumite war. Also: bloody, bloody, gory, bloody. Not entirely unexpected but...ugh. Super interesting ethical dilemmas though. Poor Invincible.

The major "good guys" groomed to fight in the war are all male. I didn't realize it until I saw the splash page of them listening to Thadeus's "are you ready to finish this?" speech. Why, story-wise, did they all have to be male? Why no kick-butt women warriors, why? Not cool.

Also, the more I read this s
Justin
Nov 24, 2016 Justin rated it it was amazing
It seems wrong somehow to call Invincible Ultimate Collection volume 7 "the one we've all been waiting for," because I pretty much have waited for every new collection since volume 1 with the same sense of excitement. Still, events in volume 6 made it clear that this collection was "the big one," and one that would really change things for our hero.

The first half of this collection is focused on the war against the Viltrumites, and as you might expect it's a bloody, violent, action-packed series
Andy
Aug 31, 2014 Andy rated it it was amazing
Excellent. The long built up Viltrumite War plays out completely differently than expected (well, the shocking violence is present and correct) and has a cracker of an ending. Ethically complex and nicely logical, not expected. There are some stunning double page spreads here with Ottley again knocking it out the park. Loved the relationship between Tech Jacket and Allen.

The second half deals with the post war fallout for Mark and a lot of nice character development occurs. There are some great
Brian Rogers
Aug 17, 2015 Brian Rogers rated it liked it
Having finished a 2 day binge reread of the series I fund I still like a lot of it - the consistent vision, the growth of the characters - but with the driving force of the series (the Viltrumite war) and its aftermath decided it does feel a lot of the air has gone out of the series. It binges into darkness more often than it ought, and the decompressed writing style means that a lot less has happened in the last 100 issues than we ought to have seen. Still, its a good solid title. I just wish ...more
Chris Walker
Aug 07, 2012 Chris Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero
Invincible is the one ongoing superhero series that never disappoints me. Kirkman can get a little too cute or talky at times, but he has consistently produced fresh, satisfying work on this book. That goes doubles for Ottley's pencils. This particular volume spans the closest thing to a Crisis-level event in Invincible's universe and manages to balance the scope and gravity of it all in a way DC and Marvel don't seem capable of accomplishing. The stakes of the conflict and its satisfying and ...more
Daniel
Mar 15, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
'Invincible' proves, once again, to be one of the most annoyingly hard-to-put-down books I've ever read.

It's funny to me how, originally, I was drawn in by the humanity and drama that encompasses as a seemingly "generic" superhero lifestyle, only for that all to be matched by a really well-laid out mythology.

When I buy other books that I absolutely "must" read, (and will, and do, at some point) it's different than the sense that I absolutely MUST read the new Ultimate Collections of 'Invincible'
Jonathan Schildbach
Jan 30, 2015 Jonathan Schildbach rated it really liked it
Without (hopefully) giving too much away, this book just continues to deliver. Here, we have the first chapters of the assault on the Viltrumite Empire...which also become the, at least temporary, ends of that assault. Kirkman keeps asking the big questions of superhero comics, and I love the end of this book, where Invincible is trying to figure out a way to get a rather dangerous figure to put his powers to good use. That Las Vegas has been flattened to get there is a small price to pay.
John
Jun 12, 2014 John rated it liked it
The Viltrumite War: more graphic violence, but at least it isn't on Earth. The end of the war is a nice twist. The growth of Invincible as a character really takes off in this volume, and that's enough to keep this at three stars instead of the two of the previous couple of volumes. The ending with Dinosaurus sets up a lot of potential. The combination should keep me around for at least another couple of volumes.
Peter
Mar 10, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing
I really don't know how to describe what makes this superhero book so fresh and different without ruining it. It is a superhero book and uses many of the cliches. It also explores issues of anger, long-term futility of violence, pregnancy and abortion, body image issues, and fickle nature of greater good. Kirkman's characters are immensely enjoyable and you want it end well for all of them. Still crossing my fingers.
Rob
Oct 01, 2012 Rob rated it it was amazing
A stellar first half that's remarkably different from the second, but all great. I'm still shocked at how violent this title is, even though I've read the last six collections. Also, I thought this collection was the conclusion to the entire comic arc, but it looks like there is more to come. Awesome except for the waiting.
Holden Attradies
Jul 09, 2013 Holden Attradies rated it it was amazing
Every volume of this series feels better than the last. The gore during the first half of this was a little over the top for my taste but other than that a pretty awesome read. And as always the volume, which answers and resolves so many plots, leaves you with questions and plots needing answers and conclusions doubled.
David
Feb 25, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Wow. This seventh hardcover collection really ups the ante. It feels like Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley are vying for top billing on every page.

Loved the conclusion of the Viltrumite War storyline, as well as the stories dealing with Mark’s return to Earth. Very interested to see where they take the Dinosaurus storyline too.
Jdetrick
Ok, I give Kirkman credit. The beginning of this collection has more of the ultra violence that he favors and I don't like. But by the end of these stories we're seeing that he is thinking about the consequences of his character's actions and he's growing them as people. He's creating a fascinating universe and he still has me hooked.
Nick
Jan 27, 2016 Nick rated it it was amazing
Kirkman continues to weave a nuanced superhero story, with all the blood and action I've come to expect from this series. The evolution of both Invincible and his father, as well as Allen the alien, continues to shade in gray the world Kirkman and crew are building. A great read.
Mar 20, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
I started off not loving this volume because they were at war and it was all bloody and not so interesting to me. But then the second half I LOVED. I particularly love how Invincible believes Eve to be so beautiful no matter what her size. I want to high five the writers right now.
Brian Anderson
May 09, 2013 Brian Anderson rated it liked it
So basically every storyline is someone getting punched through the chest, dies, comes back next issue. This is starting to get old.
JoJo Laforte
Jul 02, 2013 JoJo Laforte rated it it was amazing
Kirkman continues to do for the Super Hero genre what he did for the Zombie Apocalypse in The Walking Dead.
Hakan Jackson
Apr 27, 2014 Hakan Jackson rated it it was amazing
Damn addictive series, with each book I find it harder to put it down. Chances are if you got this far in the series you don't need to read any reviews to convince yourself to read further.
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Kohl
Kohl rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Daniel López
Daniel López rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
William
William rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2013
Tevesh
Tevesh rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Joe Deisler
Joe Deisler rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 2
  • Powers: Definitive Collection, Vol. 2
  • Astonishing X-Men - Volume 2
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 4
More about Robert Kirkman...

Invincible Ultimate Collection (10 books)
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1