Start by marking “In The Pit With Piper” as Want to Read:
In The Pit With Piper

In The Pit With Piper

Here, in his own words, is the story of one of the greatest wrestlers ever-Rowdy Roddy Piper. The bagpipe-playing legend gets down and dirty about the world of professional wrestling-and his own career.

He takes readers back to his life as a teenage runaway and his first match, when he stepped into the ring for $25. He recalls his triumph as the youngest World Light Heavy
Published November 5th 2002 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about In The Pit With Piper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Pit With Piper

Have a Nice Day! by Mick FoleyA Lion's Tale by Chris JerichoHitman by Bret HartFoley is Good by Mick FoleyUndisputed by Chris Jericho
Best Wrestling Books
32nd out of 122 books — 99 voters
Have a Nice Day! by Mick FoleyUndisputed by Chris JerichoA Lion's Tale by Chris JerichoCheating Death, Stealing Life by Eddie GuerreroFoley is Good by Mick Foley
Wrasslin'
22nd out of 49 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Matt
Jun 10, 2015 Matt rated it it was ok
This was maybe the most self-serving book I've ever read. This was not really the autobiography I was looking for. It was really a collection of wrestling stories, some from the "old days" and some from the WWF. Quite often it seemed like just a platform for Piper to rip certain people he didn't like, mainly promoters. I've no doubt his feelings are justified but it seemed like there was probably another side to most of his stories that would be quite different from how he remembers it. I think ...more
Ryan Madland
Jan 13, 2010 Ryan Madland rated it really liked it
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper is one of the loudest and biggest names in professional wrestling. He's wrestled huge stars like Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, and even boxed Mr. T. "In the Pit with Piper" details all those events and much more.

I've read some great wrestling biographies i.e. Mick Foley and some bad ones i.e. Ted Dibiase and I would have to say that this is one of the better ones.. Roddy Piper never bit his tongue in front of the camera and he doesn't hold back here either.

We learn about how P
Chuck Bush
Sep 06, 2015 Chuck Bush rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story, poorly produced Kindle version.

Roddy Piper was an arrogant, opinionated loud mouth. He was also one of my favorite wrestlers. He wrote a great book, didn't hold back. A great read for any wrestling fan.
The Kindle version of the book contains the pictures advertised on the cover, however, they display on my Kindle Fire HDX as black (mostly) and white photocopies.
Trent Zelazny
Apr 15, 2014 Trent Zelazny rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story about the life of a very fascinating man. You don't much need to be into pro wrestling to appreciate this bio. What a character, and one of my biggest childhood heroes. My only complaint is that I wanted it to be longer.
Brent Darling
Aug 11, 2014 Brent Darling rated it it was ok
Easy read, I ripped through it in a few hours. But overall, a letdown.
Aaron A.
Nov 26, 2014 Aaron A. rated it it was amazing
book of the year!!
Steve
Apr 22, 2008 Steve rated it it was ok
Shelves: wrestling
This was a self-indulgent book that did nothing for my sympathy for Mr.Piper. As a fellow Canadian, I would expect a better criticism of the wrestling world, not just a critic of the P, or McMahon. I am no way, a mark for McMahon but Roddy started the book off really good, and then kind of dwindle off on these tirades, littered with side stories that made me feel completely misdirected. Overall, just very disappointing.
Tom
Mar 04, 2009 Tom rated it did not like it
I promise, I'm reading all these wrestler autobiographies as research.

My favorite line: “I have never backstabbed anybody in my profession, but I’ll be the first to admit to front-stabbing them right in the face!”

Otherwise, not so great, and not all that interesting. Mediocre writing and it overlooks the most compelling aspects of the story in the way that most celebrity autobiographies do.
Mr. Pease
Jan 01, 2011 Mr. Pease rated it really liked it
A highly-entertaining read for wrestling fans, especially those who know the call-it-as-he-sees-it style of Hot Rod. Some inflammatory comments are certainly questionable in their accuracy, but true fans of wrestling know that half-truths and allegations are part of the charm.
George
Apr 28, 2010 George rated it really liked it
A rollicking tale of one of the greatest wrestlers & entertainers of the modern era of wrestling. For those who are used to seeing the glitz, glamor, & goofiness of what's called wrestling today, Piper's story shows how much hard work & paying one's dues went into his career.
Big
Jul 06, 2008 Big rated it it was ok
I was rather disappointed with this book. Roddy Piper is one of the most creative and innovative characters whoever entered the squared circle, but his book was rather uninteresting. It seemed as if Roddy had a chip on his shoulder and didn't lose it throughout the whole book.
Tim Dunn
Aug 03, 2011 Tim Dunn rated it really liked it
This is a book that probably should have been bigger, and maybe some day he'll come out with another that will tell even more stories....if Foley can three, this guy should be able to have about eleven.
Matt Murphy
Jun 10, 2010 Matt Murphy rated it liked it
An okay autobiography, but as I've written about many old-school wrestlers' books, it's hard to believe everything that's written in it. That said, the story itself was entertaining.
Bobby Parker
Jun 23, 2013 Bobby Parker rated it really liked it
Really awesome. Crazy, crazy wrestling stories. Replacing a guy who has severe asthma's inhaler with lighter fluid and him convulsing/near dying on the ground? What a crazy world.
Michael Jones
Oct 09, 2013 Michael Jones rated it really liked it
Good read. Piper was always one of the more entertaining wrestlers from his era, and this book was like having a couple of beers and hearing him tell tales of his exploits.
Natasha
Sep 12, 2008 Natasha rated it liked it
Hey, I know I gave "Catcher in the Rye" and this book the same amount of stars, but growing up with Rowdy Roddy and WWF I could relate more than some outcast rich kid. Sorry.
Lydia
Oct 30, 2011 Lydia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a huge Rod fan I had to read this! Loved every moment of it and didn't want it to end I loved it so much! Rod tells an amazing story
Nila
Apr 19, 2013 Nila rated it really liked it
I love Piper and I miss Pipers pit but I am glad he came back into wrestling awhile ago. I bought my book autographed on-line,love it!
Bret
Sep 24, 2008 Bret added it
Not really a book; more like a guy talking into a tape recorder and another guy writing it down into paragraphs.
Arsenio Peraza
Jul 24, 2013 Arsenio Peraza rated it it was amazing
A must read for the true wrestling fan. A read about how Roddy Piper came up threw the ranks in wrestling.
Donovan Rowlands
May 04, 2013 Donovan Rowlands rated it liked it
It was the perfect light read for me after reading 3 books from ex Scientology members.
Ashley Logan
Jun 20, 2009 Ashley Logan rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! If you love funny wrestling stories, you'll love this one!
D
Aug 30, 2008 D rated it liked it
Recommends it for: hardcore piper fans only
It flew through 1987-1992, peak years in WWF.
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Andy Carrington
Andy Carrington marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Mr David Brooks
Mr David Brooks rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Sarah Maxfield
Sarah Maxfield marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016