Start by marking “Vinyl Cafe Diaries (Vinyl Cafe, #4)” as Want to Read:
Vinyl Cafe Diaries (Vinyl Cafe, #4)

Vinyl Cafe Diaries (Vinyl Cafe #4)

Why is Morley skulking around with a man named Frank on the eve of her 40th birthday? What grisly secret is Stephanie hiding in her father’s picnic cooler? And exactly what is Dave doing by himself in a Halifax hotel room with a duck? In the pages of the Vinyl Cafe Diaries, humorist Stuart McLean answers these questions and reveals more strange, shocking, and above all, en ...more
Published November 28th 2003 by Penguin Books Canada (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Vinyl Cafe Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vinyl Cafe Diaries

Rebecca McNutt
Another great Canadian anthology in the Vinyl Cafe series; weird, comedic and ultimately unforgettable, these stories are all different and all very worth reading.
Denis
Feb 16, 2017 Denis rated it really liked it
CBC radio broadcaster, Stuart McLean, a Canadian treasure, passed away yesterday. He was a master story teller, a fabulous writer and talented as a radio documentary reporter. He was mostly known for a radio series called, "The Vinyl Cafe", which has been on air for over twenty years. He performed live readings of his stories of record shop owner Dave and his wife Morley on various stages throughout Canada and on occasion in the U.S.

Stuart's radio shows were a major part of our lives and I do re
Shan
Jun 12, 2016 Shan rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, canadian
How come I've never run into this author before? I found the book in a used bookstore in Maple Ridge, BC, while visiting relatives. My cousin said "oh yeah, lots of his shows are on YouTube and I listen to them while painting." There was a whole stack of books. Now that I'm back home and have finished this one, I'm wishing I'd bought them all.

These are short stories about Dave, who runs a record store somewhere in eastern Canada (I'm not quite clear where but I think in Ontario), his wife Morle
Felicity
Dec 04, 2009 Felicity rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
this book is really comical, especially if you've ever listened to the radio program. you can hear stuart's voice in your head as you read along, you can imagine all the dramatic pauses. you cringe when they do something so utterly embarrassing. it's great.

even if you haven't heard any of the radio programs these books really are something to read. each chapter is like a short story that depicts one day or experience the way it would be seen from a particular family member.... all of it is enter
Beth J
Mar 18, 2010 Beth J rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, short-stories
Laughing so hard, neighbours must think I have a screw loose. Americans, get this book. True Canadian humour. Seem like an oxymoron? Think of Jim Carey, Dan Akroyd, Rick Moranis, Bill Murray, William Shatner, Samantha Bee, Michael J Fox, Mike Myers, Leslie Nielson, Martin Short, Lorne Michaels. Get the idea?
Summer
Dec 28, 2015 Summer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I loved spending time with this family. Such a beautiful collection of stories, it gives you the warm fuzzies after reading each chapter. I will definitely be picking up another one of Stuart McLean's books in the near future. Great way to kick off 2016!
Intoxicatedcake
Feb 15, 2017 Intoxicatedcake rated it really liked it
The Vinyl Cafe is a comfort-food type book, even when reading (or hearing) the stories for the first time.
Brittany
Dec 26, 2008 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who've listened to McLean's shows or enjoy the writing of Rebecca Wells
How I Came To Read This Book: I get a (relatively) random book from my Uncle in Toronto each year. One year he sent my sister and I each our own Stuart McLean collection of short stories.

The Plot: Stuart McLean is best known for his radio variety show, The Vinyl Café. The most famous and popular segments from the show are the ‘Dave & Morley’ stories – tales of a married couple living in contemporary Toronto, along with their two kids Stephanie and Sam, and various pets. This is one of the mo
Mike
Nov 18, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Nothing like being sick to help me put a dent in my reading list!

I love Stuart McLean, so don't expect an unbiased review. I enjoy his humour and his writing, and I listen to the radio show as well, so some of these stories were already known to me. I would say that this isn't my favourite of his collections, but I still really enjoyed it.

My one complaint is the four "introductions" supposedly written by the real people. They just don't ring true to me. Dave sounded more like Stuart McLean than
Glyn Longden
Jul 25, 2011 Glyn Longden rated it really liked it
Rating 7/10 The author Stuart McLean is most similar to is Garrison Keillor except he is, of course, Canadian. Listening to the Vinyl Cafe on CBC greatly enhances reading McLean because you're reading the book in his voice. Anyway, Dave and Morley. I dunno how these two have actually survived through the years but there is a charm and innocence about how they conduct their lives. The Vinyl Cafe really could exist in Lake Wobegon. I'd be interested in knowing what American readers think of the Vi ...more
Lianne
Mar 12, 2011 Lianne rated it it was amazing
More Canadiana that came my way under the Christmas tree. This collection of monologues, not unlike the Lake Wobagon stories,have been broadcast on CBC, Canada's NPR on a program called The Vinyl Cafe. Everyman Dave, a former rock musician and his wife Morley are a sympathetic couple who are the right age of various mid life crises. They have two teenagers. In a set of vignette monologues author Stuart McLean mixes insight and humor in revealing their hidden foibles and fantasies. Sometimes the ...more
Annette
Summer of 2004 while visiting and living on Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia, CA, I became a fan of CBC Radio http://www.cbc.ca/listen/index.html and especially a program called The Vinyl Cafe http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/ This year's Christmas stocking contained a couple of Stuart McLean's books (Thanks Mom-in-law and Annette); tales taken from his humorous radio broadcasts where often Dave gets himself deeper and deeper into often predictable but still hilarious situations. Because I have l ...more
Rachel
Jun 05, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Good, but I kept comparing the written version to the podcasts which are read by Stuart himself - and the podcasts kept coming out on top. His delivery is what makes it, I think. The stories are good, but it's his reading that makes them so wonderful.
I did like the stories that I hadn't previously heard, so I will very likely look for other Vinyl Cafe books. I will just preferentially buy the audio CDs if the option is available.
Oct 11, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: essasy
I couldn't stop laughing when I read "Dave and the Duck." If you don't read any other essays in this collection, your time will not be in vain.

I also enjoyed all the essays about Sam. A 10-year old who knits, prefers Legos over school dances, and makes Mac&Cheese topped with truffles is a character I would love to meet.
Vivian
Aug 03, 2014 Vivian rated it it was amazing
This is the first Vinyl Cafe book I've read and throughout the book I could her McLean's voice telling the stories.

As always, McLean's stories made me laugh. The all-to-vivid images of grown men doing embarrassingly silly things amuse me. If they amuse you then you need to read this book!

It is Laugh Out Loud funny!
Matt
Jul 23, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An absolutely brilliant book, The Vinyl Cafe never fails to delight. The only downside to the book, was the lack of Eugene stories but that's just because he's probably my second favourite character after Dave. Apart from that the book was fantastic, however, the only problem now is that I need a new Vinyl Cafe book.
Leslie Chivers
Jul 12, 2014 Leslie Chivers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Vinyl Cafe stories. Individually they are sweet. However, when read holistically Stuart McLean gives a family which we grow with, laugh with, and cry with. There are so many moments in the life of Dave's family which have been shared through the Vinyl Cafe stories I feel as though they could be part of my extended family.
Raphael Gritter
Jan 10, 2008 Raphael Gritter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author is a gifted storyteller on the CBC radio network in Canada. On Saturday mornings his show "the Vinyl Cafe" contains a story that has the characters of this book.
It is extremely funny, touching, and will leave one with a sore side from laughter. I literally had tears rolling down my face with laughter at some of the stories.
Anna
Mar 06, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this one! One of my favourite stories was in this collection - "Best Things". More than one of these stories made me laugh out loud and every one of them made me smile at the end :)
Brentman99
Jul 24, 2016 Brentman99 rated it liked it
Some of the stories are a lot of fun. I think that my favourite was "Night to Remember." There are some that did not entertain quite as much, hence my three star rating. You have to like Stuart McLean's writing to appreciate the book and humour.
Andrew Porteus
Mar 13, 2012 Andrew Porteus rated it it was amazing
Another masterful book of stories from McLean - many of these I had heard on The Vinyl Cafe, a few I didn't know at all. As always with his stories, laugh-out-loud funny, but usually with a twist of nostalgia, poignancy, or home-truths that give the stories a thoughtful, memorable aspect.
Joyce Findlay
Jul 08, 2008 Joyce Findlay rated it really liked it
I laughed so hard..it was my first of this author and at first it took me a bit to get into it and figure out what was going on..and then I just giggled my way through it...and look forward to reading more. Morley's birthday party was just hilarious...
Ammar
Dec 16, 2013 Ammar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
entertaining , comical and funny. staurt does an amazing job giving voice to his characters and letting them write about their lives, let them narrate and share some of their memories with the readers.
Marco den Ouden
Aug 17, 2014 Marco den Ouden rated it it was amazing
Another of Stuart McLean's hilarious collections. This one has 16 stories, four about each member of the family. And there are bonus "introductions" from said family members. Brilliant humor.
Tabitha
Mar 15, 2007 Tabitha rated it really liked it
The vinyl cafe stories remind me why I love Canadiana! Fun, humourous and well told stories, they are a treat to come back to again and again!
Lucas
Jun 16, 2010 Lucas rated it liked it
this collection of stories is a great way to read things that are short. it helps me ot read quiker.
people who like Stuart Mcleans sunday radio show should read this cool book.
Laurel
Jul 16, 2008 Laurel rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
Good Canadian comedy with a down home feel. Kind of like a warm cup of tea and a plate of pie. All things good.
Andrea
Jan 26, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
The stories always make me laugh but after awhile they start to feel like a formula. My favorite stories were of Morely and Sam.
Matt
Oct 03, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Louise Yeung
A whimsical and humorous collection of short stories about a man named Dave and his family. A kind of Canadian Garrison Keillor.
CynthiaA
Feb 16, 2011 CynthiaA rated it really liked it
I can't get enough Stuart McLean. I love everything he writes, even the stuff that isn't Vinyl Cafe material. We read his Vinyl Cafe stuff at the campfire every summer. It's tradition.
  • Rick Mercer Report: The Book
  • Memoirs
  • How to Be a Canadian
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Terry: Terry Fox and His Marathon of Hope
  • Small Change
  • Off Main Street: Barnstormers, Prophets & Gatemouth's Gator: Essays
  • Verdict in Blood (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #6)
  • Mr. Shakespeare's Bastard
  • Best Short Stories of Ring Lardner
  • Incidents in the Life of Markus Paul
  • A Boy of Good Breeding
  • The Fencepost Chronicles
  • The High Road
  • The Digital Divide: Arguments for and Against Facebook, Google, Texting, and the Age of Social Networking
  • A Short History of Canada
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week (Jasper John Dooley, #1)
  • Dropped Threads: What We Aren't Told
Librarian Note: There was more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

From the Vinyl Cafe web site: Stuart McLean was a best-selling author, award-winning journalist and humorist, and host of CBC Radio program The Vinyl Cafe.

Stuart began his broadcasting career making radio documentaries for CBC Radio's Sunday Morning. In 1979 he won an ACTRA award for Best Radio Documentary for
More about Stuart McLean...

Vinyl Cafe (7 books)
  • Stories from the Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #1)
  • Home From The Vinyl Cafe: A Year Of Stories (Vinyl Cafe, #2)
  • Vinyl Cafe Unplugged (Vinyl Cafe, #3)
  • Secrets from the Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #5)
  • Extreme Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #6)
  • Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #7)