Start by marking “Witness for the Defense: The Accused, the Eyewitness, and the Expert Who Puts Memory on Trial” as Want to Read:

"The study of memory had become my specialty, my passion. In the next few years I wrote dozens of papers about how memory works and how it fails, but unlike most researchers studying memory, my work kept reaching out into the real world. To what extent, I wondered, could a person's memory be shaped by suggestion? When people witness a serious automobile accident, how accur ...more
Published July 15th 1992 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Witness for the Defense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witness for the Defense

Bonsai
Jan 11, 2012 Bonsai marked it as gave-up
I wanted straightforward non-fiction about how and WHY eyewitnesses' memories work or fail in a courtroom setting. This had too much dialog and description (which I suspect were invented to give a more fiction-y style) and not enough science for my purposes.
Al Johnson
Mar 25, 2014 Al Johnson rated it really liked it
Dr. Loftus of the University of Seattle has been a pioneer since the 70s of researching and understanding how memory actually works. From breaking commonly held myths to exploring in her later book (The Myth of Repressed Memory), how memories can actually be shaped to appear real, her understanding of this is critical to the Justice System and how we prosecute and defend. Witness for the Defense is an excellent collection of cases Dr. Loftus has been called in to testify on. The scale of innocen ...more
Christy
Mar 09, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing
The most essential book to my undergrad psychology degree.
Fishface
Jan 17, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it
A very good, interesting and disturbing read. Explains why eyewitness testimony, normally the most trusted type of courtroom evidence, is in fact the least reliable kind. Well worth reading.
Greg
Fascinating enough that I read it in just a couple of days. I knew some of it, but parts, such as the fact that many line ups for identification are not only not blinded, but the witness will often have been shown a picture of the suspect before the line up, but won't have seen any of the others before, to be truly appalling.
It also emphasised the extent to which juries seem to ignore the "beyond reasonable doubt" part of their duty, and instead are content to go with "yeah, he probably did it"
Amy
Mar 14, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy by: my psychology professor
Shelves: non-fiction
This was another good book from college. Loftus was my professor, and although she was an excellent professor, I was surprised to find that she is an excellent writer as well. This book tells of her experience testifying as an expert on how the mind works, addressing questions of supressed memories and the accuracy of a person's recollections.
Crystal Swenson
Apr 20, 2015 Crystal Swenson rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Loftus is an interesting person. This book was an eye opener as to the trials and struggles that one can encounter. Also that the mind is a tricky thing and must be viewed as a complex organ. Not all the time can we rely on something we believe has all the answers.
Kate
Jul 08, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
I read this for the honors program. It was actually interesting, and made me rethink the whole idea of witness testimony.
Tiamoyo
Sep 02, 2007 Tiamoyo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who want to know about what it's like to be an expert witness
It's a tough job but somebody's got to do it.
Mizuki
Mizuki marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Amanda Frank
Amanda Frank marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Jonas
Jonas marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Autumn Schnitzius
Autumn Schnitzius rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Burak Demir
Burak Demir marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Einson Pang
Einson Pang marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Michael Hripko
Michael Hripko marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Bálint Ternyik
Bálint Ternyik marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Azrah Islamovic
Azrah Islamovic marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Patrick McCune
Patrick McCune marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Ciara
Ciara rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Alaa
Alaa marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Rachel Lovano
Rachel Lovano marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Ramari
Ramari marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Liz Endecott
Liz Endecott marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
MJR
MJR added it
Apr 08, 2016
  • Theories for Everything: An Illustrated History of Science
  • Psychologist's book of self-test: 25 Love, Sex, Intelligence, Career, And Personality Tests
  • Set Phasers on Stun: And Other True Tales of Design, Technology, and Human Error
  • SuperSense: Why We Believe in the Unbelievable
  • The Seven Sins of Memory: How the Mind Forgets and Remembers
  • Millennials Rising: The Next Great Generation
  • Rational Choice in an Uncertain World: The Psychology of Judgement and Decision Making
  • Conquering Your Quarterlife Crisis: Advice from Twentysomethings Who Have Been There and Survived
  • Monster: My True Story
  • When Prophecy Fails: A Social and Psychological Study of a Modern Group that Predicted the Destruction of the World
  • The Counter-Creationism Handbook
  • My Heart Stopped Beating
  • Women Who Think Too Much: How to Break Free of Overthinking and Reclaim Your Life
  • Mismeasure of Woman: Why Women Are Not the Better Sex, the Inferior Sex, or the Opposite Sex
  • Talking from 9 to 5: Women and Men at Work
  • Writings on Art and Literature (Meridian)
  • Criminal Psychology And Personality Profiling (Forensics: The Science Of Crime Solving)
  • Psychoanalysis and the Unconscious and Fantasia of the Unconscious
Elizabeth F. Loftus is an American cognitive psychologist and expert on human memory. She has conducted extensive research on the malleability of human memory. As well as her prolific work inside the laboratory, Loftus has been heavily involved in applying her research to legal settings; she has consulted or provided expert witness testimony for hundreds of cases. Loftus has been recognized throug ...more
More about Elizabeth F. Loftus...

“In court the next morning I sat at a table in the judge’s chambers. On the other side of the table, close enough for me to reach across and touch him, sat Ted Bundy. He’s adorable, I thought, surprised at my first impression, because I’d pictured him in my mind as brooding, dark, intense disdain (p. 83).
(Loftus testified as a defense expert for Ted Bundy in 1976, Bundy was found guilty of aggravated kidnapping)”
3 likes
“The thought had occurred to me as I was flying to Salt Lake City earlier that day that Ted Bundy might offer to let me stay in his apartment” (p. 74).
(Loftus testified as a defense expert for Ted Bundy in 1976)”
1 likes