The Royal Treatment (A Princess for Hire Book)

The Royal Treatment (Princess for Hire #2)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,126 ratings  ·  153 reviews
What girl wouldn't swoon over the outrageous perks in Desi's life as a princess substitute? Desi gets to hang out with crush-worthy Prince Karl, and the Fa ade agency has taken a special interest in her magical abilities. But between sub training, starting the eighth grade, and dealing with the cute-but-bossy new boy Reed, she's beginning to feel like she's in over her hea...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Disney-Hyperion (first published May 3rd 2011)

April
The Royal Treatment by Lindsey Levitt is the second book in the Princess For Hire series. Desi Bascomb has been promoted to level 2 at Facade, the princess substitute agency. When she puts on the royal rouge via a magical compact, Desi is transformed into the girl she’s subbing for due to her MP aka magic potential. However, Desi’s side job is a big secret. Her family and friends don’t know and Desi wants to keep it that way.

Read the rest of my review here
Nisa
You know a book is good when 1. You can't put it down. 2. You laugh out loud and squeal with delight throughout and 3. You rush to goodreads so you can write a raving review of this uber-fantastic piece of fiction. The first book was a fun read, but Leavitt outdid herself with this one.

Top 3 things I love: Desi doesn't HAVE to get the guy she crushes on. She crushes and then she realizes that her crushes might not be the best for her. 2. It's totally girly. I'm not really into fashion, make-up...more
Crys (The Hodgenator)
I loved every page of this book.

Lindsey Leavitt brings Desi Bascomb back as our favorite princess substitute.

She is advancing to Level Two at Facade, working on BEST (Betterment of Elite Sub Training) in order to complete them to everyone's satisfaction. With this comes more sophisticated jobs. That's not all Desi is doing. She is starring as Titania in the school's production of Midsummer Night's Dream; she is dealing with her crush for Karl; she is dealing with her mother coaching and helpin...more
Erin (Bookish in a Box)
The Royal Treatment is a wonderful addition to the Princess for Hire series by Lindsey Leavitt. The sequel is as endearing and engaging as the first and further develops Desi Bascomb's character and employment.

While the first, Princess for Hire, was pure enjoyment due to Desi's adventures as a princess, the second explores Desi's feelings about Facade's control of Magic Potential and shows Desi's maturation as a teenage girl and as a substitute princess. I wasn't sure how I felt about that at fi...more
Alice
I sort of figured out that Reed was a Prince Sub when they were at the rollerskating rink and Reed had to suddenly leave because he "had to go to work" even though he was already at work in the skating rink.
I loved it when Desi saw Reed with a manual after the play and they found out that they were both working for Facade. It was also cute when Reed said a line from a movie that Prince Karl had quoted, in the first book, to princess Elsa.

Quote from last page of the book:

"Fine. How about..." He...more
Sara
The second book in the Princess for Hire series The Royal Treatment picks up with Desi auditioning for A Midsummer Night's Dream at the high school. In her substitute princess life Desi steps into working for level two princesses and learns more about the politics and inner workings of the agency. Desi has to figure out her conflicting feelings for a certain young prince and a fellow actor.

This book is fun cute and romantic. Like the first in the series it reads like a Disney TV movie. Desi is a...more
Bethany Huang
Apr 23, 2011 Bethany Huang rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fairy-tale retellings

I had very high expectations for this book-and I was NOT disappointed. Starting off with the same girlie approach, Desi is in the high school music room that Kylee snuck her into so she could practice her violin since it's her "musical dream". The truth is nowhere near that. She's actually preparing her BEST (Betterment of Elite Sub Training- "These people loved their acronyms" ) for another princess as she rises up to level two.

Once I opened this book (or rather, e-book) I just couldn't stop....more
Kailia
Lindsey Leavitt has easily become one of my favorite authors. I loved Princess for Hire, the first book of this series and I was excited when I heard that book two was coming out and I really wanted to read it. After receiving an ARC, I read it and loved it. The Royal Treatment left me wanting more of Desi and Reed and Meredith.

The Royal Treatment begins some time later after Princess for Hire. Desi has a lot more on her mind than she did before she got her job. She’s gets a part in Midsummer’s...more
Danyelle Leafty
I love Desi, and this book was even better than the first. Lindsey Leavitt is definitely one of the names on my "If it's got their name on it, buy it" list. I love that the stakes have risen and that Desi is going to have some very hard decisions to be making soon. The last two pages had an awesome twist that changed some of the nuances in the first book. I loved how the two books fit together, and can't wait for the third!
Victoria
<3 i loved this! it was so much better than the first one in my opinion. Reed is amazing and...yeah he's just amazing. I'm not gonna say anything else about him except: Really Lindsey?! Way to leave me hanging! Can't wait for the next book! :)
Jessie
I am loving this series now, especially since my prediction from the first book came true!
Page (One Book At A Time)
I adore this series. It's just the right blend of fairy tale princess, fantasy, mixed in with the real world. I also think it's perfect your pre/younger teens. I particularly like that it's set in Idaho, even if the town is completely fictional.

Desi was fantastic in the installment. I loved that she took her task of preparing for the next level seriously. It made me wonder if anybody questioned her when she was studying things like yachting. I also enjoyed that when she's not on princess duty, s...more
Bookworm1858
The Royal Treatment by Lindsey Leavitt
Hyperion Books, 2011
264 pages
YA; Contemporary; Magic
4.5/5 stars

Source: Library

Spoilers!

After loving Princess for Hire, of course I had to get my hands on a copy of the sequel as soon as I could. And yet again, Leavitt leaves me smiling after finishing another delightful book authored by her! Seriously I love her writing so much-Desi seems so real, the snarkiness level is amusing, and the relationships are super sweet.

At the end of Princess for Hire Desi was...more
Lady
This is one of those books that gets you so caught up in the rush of everything that's happening, in the excitement of discovery and the anticipation getting to everything that you've figured that you can't quite think clearly. Which makes it a good book.

I liked the characters more, now that they're settled some in this extraordinary life and in their relationships with each other. Everything isn't figuring things out, it's learning to live in this delightful, fun world.

I think I even liked the...more
Lauren
After the adorable and Disneyesque Princess for Hire, I couldn't wait to read more about Desi and her future princess shenanigans. Luckily, The Royal Treatment, the action packed sequel, delivered exactly what I wanted: a sweet and quick read for a lazy day.

The Royal Treatment picks up a few months after Princess for Hire left off. In that time, Desi has been quickly freshening up on details she'll need for her next assignment such as public speaking and European courtly dances. After a few mon...more
Jenny
We’re back with Desi in the second instalment of the Princess for Hire series. Desi is now a Level Two substitute princess for the Façade Agency. Being a Level Two sub comes with new challenges as Desi is given complicated sub placements. As she learns more about her magic and how its used at Façade she realizes that not everything is as perfect as the agency makes it seem. We all know that Desi wants to make an impact and uncovering Façade’s secrets might be the biggest impact of all.

I think I...more
Leigh Herondale
For more reviews check out My Blog or Tumblr

Yesterday and today I got a lot of reading done. I managed to finish two books and one novella and I'm currently reading another one. So yeah, I'll be posting three reviews tonight. I'll be starting with The Royal Treatment (Princess for Hire #2) by Lindsey Leavitt though. This book is just adorable! I know its target population are the middle grade readers but seriously this novel is just ADORBS! I've read the first one in the series last year and I a...more
Daisy
I really enjoyed Princess For Hire and I was glad I could almost immediately continue with The Royal Treatment, cause I was excited to find out what adventures Desi would get into this time.
And let me just say that I was not disappointed! I loved this one more than the first book, it was wonderful!

Desi is such a lovable heroine! She has my kind of humor and gosh, I'd want her as my friend. She's spunky and if she wants something she goes the extra mile to get it, which I respect.
I didn't menti...more
Small Review
Rewind

Ok, so here’s the thing: Desi? I didn’t like her all that much in Princess for Hire. She was ok, but her bratty “I’m going to impact the princesses’ lives and consequences be damned!” kick was really starting to bug me. I mean, ok, maybe I’m an old fogey, but I just wanted her to buckle down and listen to her elders because it was only through the grace of author convenience that Desi managed to not only get away with her antics scott free, but she also had the exact desired consequence h...more
Lisa
Summary from the author's web site.

Desi Bascomb’s job as a princess substitute has gotten a whole lot more glamorous now that she’s advanced to Level 2 within the Facade Agency. Magical make-up, roller-skating celebrities, and the chance to see Prince Karl again are just some of the major perks. Not to mention, she’s landed the role of Fairy Queen in her school’s production of Midsummer’s Night Dream (opposite her best friend’s crush. Which is a little weird, but at least he wears a donkey head...more
Rhonda
Yesterday I started (and yes, finished) "The Royal Treatment" Princess for Hire book #2 by: Lindsey Leavitt. I LOVED the first book ("Princess for Hire") when I read it about an month ago. It was one of those fun little books I read during the lazy days of summer on our back porch. I will admit many times I fell asleep (not on account of the books, but because of the summer warmth and the carefreeness of it all) and that is how my hubby would often find me when he got home from work! I wonder wh...more
-k The Lady Critic
Now I really want to read not only the first novel but the next one (if there is going to be one – there better be). Wow, this was different and adorable and fun. It was a great way to spend a few hours on a day off while it’s alternating between rain and snow.

At first, I wasn’t too taken by Desi, and I think that may be because I jumped right into the second book in the series and not the first. So while there was a bit of catch-up, it didn’t take too long and then I was sucked right into the...more
Gecky Boz
This book gets a royal 5 out of 5 gnomes for having Desi, a great strong-willed character with just the right amount of sarcasm and a story that will keep you guessing.

I love the magic, the mystery, and of course the traveling by bubble. I think anyone who has ever watched The Wizard of Oz has wondered what it would feel like to travel around in a bubble like Glinda. This form or travel does seem pretty glamorous but I think I'd be terrified of being in the bubble while it popped.

After the troub...more
Adrienne
Desi Bascomb is still working as a substitute princess, taking their place when they want to jaunt off on vacation or avoid a particular event in their lives. While there are still things that Desi likes about her job--including advancing to the next level of training--she also comes to realize that the company she's working for has its secrets, some of which Desi doesn't like. Also, she messed up on a previous assignments by getting a crush on Prince Karl, and her latest assignment has her cros...more
Tara
REVIEW ORIGINALLY POSTED http://hobbitsies.net/wordpress/?p=3003

I read Princess for Hire and thought it was really, really cute. I read The Royal Treatment and thought it was really, really good. The Royal Treatment really takes the world we learned about in the first book and steps it up a notch – all the way to Level Two, actually.

Desi, as a character, learned a lot about herself in Princess for Hire, but she continued to grow as a character in The Royal Treatment. I loved being in her head as...more
Charlotte
This book is guarenteed something you've never read before. It's the sequel to 'Princess for Hire' and revolves around an 8th grader who has 'MP'--magic potiental. Desi is part of a top-secret agency that places 'subs' or substitutes in the spot of a princess while the royal jets off for a vacation. Often Desi gets herself into messes, and this book had more emergency-type situations that the first novel, which was truly Desi bumbling around. She's a good-natured girl and easy to read about.

Some...more
Alex
WARNING: This review might contain spoilers about Princess for Hire.

At First Sight: It has been a few weeks since Desi Bascomb became a sub - a substitute princess, as in the person who steps in whenever a royal needs a time out -and she's eagerly awaiting her first assignment as a Level Two sub. Meanwhile, she's trying to improve her princessy skills, like learning to play a musical instrument (which she kind of sucks at) or learning to speak in public.

She's also trying out for the school play...more
Azeza
Cheeyee
eview At: I Read, I Think, I Share

Review Date: 17 Aug 2011

Review URL: http://littlemermybooks.blogspot.com/2011/08/royal-treatment-by-lindsey-leavitt.html

Summary:

The story is fun, girlish and suitable for any pre-teen girls who like to read about princess and stuff. It was about the adventures of Desi being a princess for hire for any princess in the world that wants to take a break from the royal life; and the real Desi when she was not on any princess duty. Imagine you get to be a princess, en...more
Reading Vacation
The Royal Treatment is a whole lotta’ girlie princess fun! I am an especially girlie girl and princess books are very special to me. They are the perfect outlet for my glittery pink and royally magical day dreams.

In Princess for Hire, Desi first learned how to use her magical powers to stand in for real princesses. Now, she is expanding her skills at the Façade Agency and getting into even crazier situations and subbing for more challenging princesses and celebrities. It was great to read and la...more
  • My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
  • The Princess Trap (Scandia, #2)
  • So Over My Head (The Charmed Life, #3)
  • Wish You Were Eyre (The Mother-Daughter Book Club #6)
  • Confessions of a First Daughter (First Daughter, #1)
  • The Cinderella Society (The Cinderella Society, #1)
  • The Runaway Dragon
  • Sorcerers and Seers (Tennis Shoes, #11)
  • Katie, Batter Up! (Cupcake Diaries, #5)
  • Just Your Average Princess
  • Slayers (Slayers, #1)
  • Accidentally Famous (Accidentally, #2; Candy Apple #14)
  • Life, Starring Me! (Candy Apple #18)
  • At Face Value
  • A Prince Among Frogs (Tales of the Frog Princess, # 8)
Lindsey Leavitt is a former elementary school teacher and present day writer/mom to three (mostly) adorable little girls. She is married to her high school lab partner and lives in Las Vegas. She is the author of the PRINCESS FOR HIRE series (www.princessforhire.com), SEAN GRISWOLD'S HEAD and GOING VINTAGE
Visit her on the web at www.lindseyleavitt.com

More about Lindsey Leavitt...
Sean Griswold's Head Going Vintage Princess for Hire (Princess for Hire, #1) A Farewell to Charms (Princess for Hire, #3) The Chapel Wars

“We stood in the wings together, side by side. Reed's mouth was still agape.
"It makes sense when you think about it," I mused. "You get two people together who have you-know-what, and sparks are going to fly."
Reed's cue was about to start. He pointed at me and said, "Tonight. There's a party. And we're going to talk."
"Yes"
"Because this is crazy."
"Totally."
"Okay. Well." He tugged a strand of my hair. "Good luck out there."
"You're not supposed to say that."
"Fine. How about..." He squinted at me. "Here's looking at you kid."
The smile melted off my face. "What did you say?"
"It's a line. From a movie." He shrugged and burst onto the stage with a hee-haw.
It was a line. From Casablanca. The same line KARL had said to me when I was Elsa. The same like Karl didn't recognize when I said it to him as Floressa. Which meant... nothing. Right? Lots of people know that line. Just because Reed said it, and Reed was a sub, it didn't mean he was... he was...
"You're on," the stage manager whispered.
I stumbled onto the stage. The lights were too bright. The theater was packed. Reed gave me a quick, crooked smile, and I knew.
My crush on Karl was less complicated than I thought, because it wasn't Karl I'd been with that day in the garden.
Now my crush on Reed... ?
THAT was a scandal all on its own.”
2 likes