Start by marking “The Royal Treatment (A Princess for Hire Book)” as Want to Read:
The Royal Treatment (A Princess for Hire Book)

The Royal Treatment (Princess for Hire #2)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  1,711 Ratings  ·  187 Reviews
What girl wouldn't swoon over the outrageous perks in Desi's life as a princess substitute? Desi gets to hang out with crush-worthy Prince Karl, and the Fa ade agency has taken a special interest in her magical abilities. But between sub training, starting the eighth grade, and dealing with the cute-but-bossy new boy Reed, she's beginning to feel like she's in over her hea ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Disney-Hyperion (first published May 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Royal Treatment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Royal Treatment

In Dept

Best Part:
eh.
Worst Part: Gross love
Thoughts Had: sheesh; shit hitting fan...

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
Recommending: eh

Short Review: Okay so this MC has been a crazy "I wanna change the wor
Crys (The Hodgenator)
I loved every page of this book.

Lindsey Leavitt brings Desi Bascomb back as our favorite princess substitute.

She is advancing to Level Two at Facade, working on BEST (Betterment of Elite Sub Training) in order to complete them to everyone's satisfaction. With this comes more sophisticated jobs. That's not all Desi is doing. She is starring as Titania in the school's production of Midsummer Night's Dream; she is dealing with her crush for Karl; she is dealing with her mother coaching and helpin
April
The Royal Treatment by Lindsey Levitt is the second book in the Princess For Hire series. Desi Bascomb has been promoted to level 2 at Facade, the princess substitute agency. When she puts on the royal rouge via a magical compact, Desi is transformed into the girl she’s subbing for due to her MP aka magic potential. However, Desi’s side job is a big secret. Her family and friends don’t know and Desi wants to keep it that way.

Read the rest of my review here
Nisa
Oct 13, 2010 Nisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know a book is good when 1. You can't put it down. 2. You laugh out loud and squeal with delight throughout and 3. You rush to goodreads so you can write a raving review of this uber-fantastic piece of fiction. The first book was a fun read, but Leavitt outdid herself with this one.

Top 3 things I love: Desi doesn't HAVE to get the guy she crushes on. She crushes and then she realizes that her crushes might not be the best for her. 2. It's totally girly. I'm not really into fashion, make-up
Kailia
Jul 07, 2011 Kailia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey Leavitt has easily become one of my favorite authors. I loved Princess for Hire, the first book of this series and I was excited when I heard that book two was coming out and I really wanted to read it. After receiving an ARC, I read it and loved it. The Royal Treatment left me wanting more of Desi and Reed and Meredith.

The Royal Treatment begins some time later after Princess for Hire. Desi has a lot more on her mind than she did before she got her job. She’s gets a part in Midsummer’s
Erin (Bookish in a Box)
The Royal Treatment is a wonderful addition to the Princess for Hire series by Lindsey Leavitt. The sequel is as endearing and engaging as the first and further develops Desi Bascomb's character and employment.

While the first, Princess for Hire, was pure enjoyment due to Desi's adventures as a princess, the second explores Desi's feelings about Facade's control of Magic Potential and shows Desi's maturation as a teenage girl and as a substitute princess. I wasn't sure how I felt about that at fi
Alice
May 17, 2012 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I sort of figured out that Reed was a Prince Sub when they were at the rollerskating rink and Reed had to suddenly leave because he "had to go to work" even though he was already at work in the skating rink.
I loved it when Desi saw Reed with a manual after the play and they found out that they were both working for Facade. It was also cute when Reed said a line from a movie that Prince Karl had quoted, in the first book, to princess Elsa.

Quote from last page of the book:

"Fine. How about..." He
Bethany Huang
Apr 22, 2011 Bethany Huang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fairy-tale retellings

I had very high expectations for this book-and I was NOT disappointed. Starting off with the same girlie approach, Desi is in the high school music room that Kylee snuck her into so she could practice her violin since it's her "musical dream". The truth is nowhere near that. She's actually preparing her BEST (Betterment of Elite Sub Training- "These people loved their acronyms" ) for another princess as she rises up to level two.

Once I opened this book (or rather, e-book) I just couldn't stop.
Sara
Apr 25, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Princess for Hire series The Royal Treatment picks up with Desi auditioning for A Midsummer Night's Dream at the high school. In her substitute princess life Desi steps into working for level two princesses and learns more about the politics and inner workings of the agency. Desi has to figure out her conflicting feelings for a certain young prince and a fellow actor.

This book is fun cute and romantic. Like the first in the series it reads like a Disney TV movie. Desi is a
Danyelle Leafty
Oct 31, 2011 Danyelle Leafty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf-2011
I love Desi, and this book was even better than the first. Lindsey Leavitt is definitely one of the names on my "If it's got their name on it, buy it" list. I love that the stakes have risen and that Desi is going to have some very hard decisions to be making soon. The last two pages had an awesome twist that changed some of the nuances in the first book. I loved how the two books fit together, and can't wait for the third!
Victoria
Nov 03, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, fantasy
<3 i loved this! it was so much better than the first one in my opinion. Reed is amazing and...yeah he's just amazing. I'm not gonna say anything else about him except: Really Lindsey?! Way to leave me hanging! Can't wait for the next book! :)
Jessie
May 06, 2011 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am loving this series now, especially since my prediction from the first book came true!
Emily Wilderman
Mar 30, 2015 Emily Wilderman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this book I'd rate it ten stars if I could
Lenni Jones
Mar 21, 2017 Lenni Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Princess for Hire was good. The Royal Treatment? AWESOME!!! I loved this book and I REALLY love Reed. I is so excited to read book three! This one got a 4.5 because the whole time stops thing is just too unbelievable. But besides that, everything else was perfect and this series is a must read for every girl who wishes they could be a princess.
Small Review
Rewind

Ok, so here’s the thing: Desi? I didn’t like her all that much in Princess for Hire. She was ok, but her bratty “I’m going to impact the princesses’ lives and consequences be damned!” kick was really starting to bug me. I mean, ok, maybe I’m an old fogey, but I just wanted her to buckle down and listen to her elders because it was only through the grace of author convenience that Desi managed to not only get away with her antics scott free, but she also had the exact desired consequence h
Azeza
Oct 15, 2011 Azeza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Lauren
Nov 10, 2010 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalleybooks
After the adorable and Disneyesque Princess for Hire, I couldn't wait to read more about Desi and her future princess shenanigans. Luckily, The Royal Treatment, the action packed sequel, delivered exactly what I wanted: a sweet and quick read for a lazy day.

The Royal Treatment picks up a few months after Princess for Hire left off. In that time, Desi has been quickly freshening up on details she'll need for her next assignment such as public speaking and European courtly dances. After a few mon
Gecky Boz
Apr 07, 2011 Gecky Boz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gets a royal 5 out of 5 gnomes for having Desi, a great strong-willed character with just the right amount of sarcasm and a story that will keep you guessing.

I love the magic, the mystery, and of course the traveling by bubble. I think anyone who has ever watched The Wizard of Oz has wondered what it would feel like to travel around in a bubble like Glinda. This form or travel does seem pretty glamorous but I think I'd be terrified of being in the bubble while it popped.

After the troub
Alex
WARNING: This review might contain spoilers about Princess for Hire.

At First Sight: It has been a few weeks since Desi Bascomb became a sub - a substitute princess, as in the person who steps in whenever a royal needs a time out -and she's eagerly awaiting her first assignment as a Level Two sub. Meanwhile, she's trying to improve her princessy skills, like learning to play a musical instrument (which she kind of sucks at) or learning to speak in public.

She's also trying out for the school play
Stephanie
This was a cute series – glad I finished it. Even though it seemed like one of those fluff books you read during the summer just to pass some time, there were some key life lessons to be learned in this series. The most important one was to do what was right despite circumstances and ignore all the pressure to do otherwise.

I liked Desi – I thought she was cute and a decent main character. I guess due to the large age gap between her and me, there were a few instances where I didn’t really under
Rachel
Feb 23, 2017 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute story. I love the idea behind it, it's Cinderella's fairy godmother with a modern twist. It's fun to read about Desi's adventures as different princesses as well as her normal life. The ending was so great, very well done.
Bookworm1858
The Royal Treatment by Lindsey Leavitt
Hyperion Books, 2011
264 pages
YA; Contemporary; Magic
4.5/5 stars

Source: Library

Spoilers!

After loving Princess for Hire, of course I had to get my hands on a copy of the sequel as soon as I could. And yet again, Leavitt leaves me smiling after finishing another delightful book authored by her! Seriously I love her writing so much-Desi seems so real, the snarkiness level is amusing, and the relationships are super sweet.

At the end of Princess for Hire Desi was
Alison (AlisonCanRead)
The Royal Treatment is a great follow up for Princess for Hire. In the first book, Desi showed Facade Agency that her unique approach to princess subbing really helped the princesses. She wasn't just a look-alike, act-alike substitute. Rather, she used her MP (magic potential) to feel out what the princesses really wanted and needed and made decisions that they weren't brave enough to make on their own. Unconventional for Facade, but it ended up being enough to promote Desi to Level 2.

This book
Leigh Herondale
Dec 14, 2012 Leigh Herondale rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
For more reviews check out My Blog or Tumblr

Yesterday and today I got a lot of reading done. I managed to finish two books and one novella and I'm currently reading another one. So yeah, I'll be posting three reviews tonight. I'll be starting with The Royal Treatment (Princess for Hire #2) by Lindsey Leavitt though. This book is just adorable! I know its target population are the middle grade readers but seriously this novel is just ADORBS! I've read the first one in the series last year and I a
Jenny
We’re back with Desi in the second instalment of the Princess for Hire series. Desi is now a Level Two substitute princess for the Façade Agency. Being a Level Two sub comes with new challenges as Desi is given complicated sub placements. As she learns more about her magic and how its used at Façade she realizes that not everything is as perfect as the agency makes it seem. We all know that Desi wants to make an impact and uncovering Façade’s secrets might be the biggest impact of all.

I think I
-k The Lady Critic
Now I really want to read not only the first novel but the next one (if there is going to be one – there better be). Wow, this was different and adorable and fun. It was a great way to spend a few hours on a day off while it’s alternating between rain and snow.

At first, I wasn’t too taken by Desi, and I think that may be because I jumped right into the second book in the series and not the first. So while there was a bit of catch-up, it didn’t take too long and then I was sucked right into the
Page (One Book At A Time)
I adore this series. It's just the right blend of fairy tale princess, fantasy, mixed in with the real world. I also think it's perfect your pre/younger teens. I particularly like that it's set in Idaho, even if the town is completely fictional.

Desi was fantastic in the installment. I loved that she took her task of preparing for the next level seriously. It made me wonder if anybody questioned her when she was studying things like yachting. I also enjoyed that when she's not on princess duty, s
tarawrawr
Nov 29, 2010 tarawrawr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW ORIGINALLY POSTED http://hobbitsies.net/wordpress/?p=3003

I read Princess for Hire and thought it was really, really cute. I read The Royal Treatment and thought it was really, really good. The Royal Treatment really takes the world we learned about in the first book and steps it up a notch – all the way to Level Two, actually.

Desi, as a character, learned a lot about herself in Princess for Hire, but she continued to grow as a character in The Royal Treatment. I loved being in her head as
Cheree Smith
May 01, 2011 Cheree Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After progressing to a Level 2 in the Facade Agency, Desi thought life couldn't get more glamorous. But, life has just got a little bit more complicated. She's landed a role as the fairy queen in a Midsummer's Night Dream where she has to kiss her best friend's crush, she's crushing on a prince she knows she'll never be able to have and she has a strange feeling that the Facade Agency is hiding a big secret about the magic it uses. Desi doesn't have much time to ponder about the Agency when she' ...more
Reading Vacation
The Royal Treatment is a whole lotta’ girlie princess fun! I am an especially girlie girl and princess books are very special to me. They are the perfect outlet for my glittery pink and royally magical day dreams.

In Princess for Hire, Desi first learned how to use her magical powers to stand in for real princesses. Now, she is expanding her skills at the Façade Agency and getting into even crazier situations and subbing for more challenging princesses and celebrities. It was great to read and la
  • My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
  • Extreme Kissing
  • Confessions of a First Daughter (First Daughter, #1)
  • Just Your Average Princess
  • The Runaway Dragon (Runaway Princess, #2)
  • Abish Mother of Faith
  • Home for the Holidays (The Mother-Daughter Book Club, #5)
  • The Cinderella Society (The Cinderella Society, #1)
  • Secondhand Charm
  • Fairy Bad Day
  • So Over My Head (The Charmed Life, #3)
  • Sorcerers and Seers (Tennis Shoes #11)
  • The Invisible Arab: The Promise and Peril of the Arab Revolutions
  • Night Song: A Story of Sacrifice (World War II Liberator #2)
  • The Princess Plot  (Scandia, #1)
  • The Epic Documentary of a Not-Yet-Epic Kid (Classroom, #1)
  • Just Add Magic
  • Dragon Slippers Box Set
Lindsey Leavitt is a former elementary school teacher and present-day writer/mom/party animal (not to be confused with her spirit animal, which is a lion). She lives with her family in the Utah mountains. She is the author of the COMMANDER IN CHEESE series, THE PAGES BETWEEN US series (Co-written with Robin Mellom) SEAN GRISWOLD’S HEAD, GOING VINTAGE, THE CHAPEL WARS, and the PRINCESS FOR HIRE ser ...more
More about Lindsey Leavitt...

Princess for Hire (3 books)
  • Princess for Hire (Princess for Hire, #1)
  • A Farewell to Charms (Princess for Hire, #3)

“We stood in the wings together, side by side. Reed's mouth was still agape.
"It makes sense when you think about it," I mused. "You get two people together who have you-know-what, and sparks are going to fly."
Reed's cue was about to start. He pointed at me and said, "Tonight. There's a party. And we're going to talk."
"Yes"
"Because this is crazy."
"Totally."
"Okay. Well." He tugged a strand of my hair. "Good luck out there."
"You're not supposed to say that."
"Fine. How about..." He squinted at me. "Here's looking at you kid."
The smile melted off my face. "What did you say?"
"It's a line. From a movie." He shrugged and burst onto the stage with a hee-haw.
It was a line. From Casablanca. The same line KARL had said to me when I was Elsa. The same like Karl didn't recognize when I said it to him as Floressa. Which meant... nothing. Right? Lots of people know that line. Just because Reed said it, and Reed was a sub, it didn't mean he was... he was...
"You're on," the stage manager whispered.
I stumbled onto the stage. The lights were too bright. The theater was packed. Reed gave me a quick, crooked smile, and I knew.
My crush on Karl was less complicated than I thought, because it wasn't Karl I'd been with that day in the garden.
Now my crush on Reed... ?
THAT was a scandal all on its own.”
3 likes