American Dreamer

American Dreamer

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Striking out on her own for the first time, Lark Leopold comes face-to-face with the glare of Nathan Senatra, a farmer whose life is a mess, and he doesn't have time for Lark's silly animal research. But Lark cannot fight the attraction to this man. For the first time in her life, Lark has found something worth holding onto--and no matter what the consequences she is not l...more
Published December 22nd 2011 by Belfry Press (first published 1997)

Saly
Rating 3.5 stars

If you are looking forward to sunshine and rainbows then Theresa Weir is not the author for you but if you are looking to read something real, often painful in reality then this author is for you.

This book especially the hero Nathan could be pretty dark. He hadn't led the best life, his parents died and he never even finished high school trying to hang on to his family's farm and then he lost part of his heritage in his divorce, so he is a bitter man, who drinks and somehow is no...more
Crista
What started out as a very light and funny read quickly morphed into a very heavy, dark read. I experienced a gamut of emotions while reading this one.

I love this author and while this is not my favorite work of hers, it's still showcases her talent brilliantly. Nathan Senatra is a down on his luck farmer who's ex-wife has just shown up dead on his property. Of course, he is the lead suspect in the murder. Lark Leopold is a sheltered 30 year old woman who has traveled to Nathan's farm to do rese...more
Ruthie Knox
The chaotic, messy, sometimes hilarious love story of two damaged people -- an environmentalist farmer who may or may not have killed his ex-wife and the sheltered, traumatized naif who shows up on his land to do a contented cattle study. If you like Weir's other work, you'll enjoy this one. If you can't figure out what to make of her, this will be more of the same. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Plus, there aren't enough farmer heroes in romance. Nathan Senatra is an *actual* farmer, in the sens...more
Nicole Helm
Probably more of a 3.5, this book was 3 parts lovely and entertaining, 2 parts bizarre, and 1 part WTF. I'm not sure I know what to say beyond that. Except, yay farmers!!
Kim Rhoads
Enjoyable read

I enjoy books that have a "mystery" to solve. While I figured out this one pretty much from the beginning I still enjoyed the storyline. I like that Lark was strong throughout the book even through her fears from being a victim. It's also a lesson to everyone to never give up hope and a lesson in the dangers of gossip.
Heathy
This book was absolutely brilliant!! I love a good tormented hero, especially one who is an Average Joe, not some multi-millionaire who lives in a mansion.

The book takes a sudden & tragic twist (which I won't go into details about), and I thought that was very refreshing. Too many times, it's so obvious that the hero & heroine will overcome their obstacles & live happily ever after.

American Dreamer is definitely a page turner & kept me interested throughout the entire story. It a...more
willaful
I'm rating this up a bit because I love that it's about an environmentalist farmer, and it has some very powerful scenes, but honestly I really didn't like it very much. "Episodic" doesn't begin to describe it -- hyperactive might come closer. So much weird stuff happens so constantly, the characters never get a chance to properly react to the last thing that happened. And the mystery is very obvious.
Cindy
This is a story about a woman named Lark that goes from California to a very small town in Iowa to do a survey on cow contentment. The story develops into a mystery. I'm always afraid to say too much because I don't want to spoil the story, but I will say that it was a little slow starting, but got my interest and I did enjoy reading it.
Kathleen Crowell
I can't put my finger on why I liked the main character Lark and Nathan. But I did--the back story for each wasn't really of interest to me, but they were really well-done characters. I liked that these two "damaged" people came together and found each other and something worth going on for...
Belladora Ahumada
This book captivated me from the start. It handsome nice twists in the story and nice imagery. It also opened the door to an author I had never read. Now it is time to read another book by her.
Dee

Romantic suspense
Backstory told too early
But still pretty good
Linda
Romance, mystery, danger and past relationships coming back to haunt the present and it all takes place in a rural setting that is believable.
Carol
Seemed like a light hearted romance but there are some deep seeded tragedies underlying the characters. A little choppy in writing style
Diana
I am very much enjoying Weir's voice as I catch up on her backlist. I missed this one when it was originally released in 1997.
Janet
I liked this book a lot and would have given it more stars if it weren't for naughty parts I had to skip over.
Mandi Murphy
This was a really interesting story but I had to quit because it violated one of my carnal book rules...blatant sex.
Chelle
Jan 09, 2012 Chelle marked it as wish-list
Shelves: romance
Any book that includes an "impossibly rugged and handsome farmer" is worth a look. :)
Sassapphras
The characters were really weird. However, it was entertaining and well written.
Anne Pacman
Quick read, finished it on a six hour plane ride. Extremely good, captivating novel.
Sarita
It was a truly enjoyable read! I couldn't put it down.
Heidi Lueck
Heidi Lueck marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Tam Tam
Tam Tam marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Beth Rylant
Beth Rylant marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Deneal Toews
Deneal Toews marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Avenging Angel
  • Calculated Risk
  • Tides Of Love (Zebra Historical Romance)
  • Wedding Bell Blues
  • When the Heart Falls
  • Logan's Redemption
  • Lightning That Lingers
  • Jezebel's Blues (Silhouette Special Edition, #785)
  • The Portrait
  • A Second Chance
  • Drawing Free
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
  • Baby, Oh Baby!
  • Shaken
  • Love from the Ashes
  • Hidden Steel
  • Bound By Blood
  • The Blasphemer
Theresa Weir (a.k.a. Anne Frasier) is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-six books and numerous short stories that have spanned the genres of suspense, mystery, thriller, romantic suspense, paranormal, fantasy, and memoir. During her award-winning career, she's written for Penguin Putnam, Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins Publishers, Bantam Books/Random House, Silhouette...more
More about Theresa Weir...
The Orchard: A Memoir The Girl with the Cat Tattoo (Cool Cats, #1) Cool Shade Last Summer Amazon Lily