Start by marking “Once Upon a Time on the Banks (Mattagash, #2)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Time on the Banks (Mattagash, #2)

Once Upon a Time on the Banks (Mattagash #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Set in the backwood Maine village, Mattagash, this is a book about Amy Joy Lawler, descendant of Protestant settlers, who decides to marry a man of French-Canadian descent, an outsider.
Published September 1st 1991 by Washington Square Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Time on the Banks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Time on the Banks

The Cider House Rules by John IrvingThe Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne JewettEmpire Falls by Richard RussoThe Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn ChutePet Sematary by Stephen King
Books Set in Maine
55th out of 159 books — 68 voters
The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleMagic America by C.E. MedfordAlice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Best Eccentric Characters
101st out of 118 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie Barrett
Once Upon A Time On the Banks by Cathie Pellitier
Maine, first day of spring. Amy Joy Lawler comes to town and will wed and her mother has taken to her bed.
Trouble amongst the natives, when one outsider wants to marry a native townie.
This is almost like a Hatfield/McCoy battle and some of the things they do along the way are hilarious, some very dangerous.
Lots of others are followed, with what is going on with their lives. It's about family, heritage, legacy and in the remote town close to the Ca
Sharon Zink
A well written and entertaining book about some rednecks and some people who didn't think they were rednecks in Mattagash, Maine.
A continuation of Pelletier's Mattagash series (I would say trilogy, but there is a fourth coming out soon!). We are reunited with Amy Joy, Junior, the Giffords and all the rest of the bunch ten years after The Funeral Makers takes place.

There are some moments of absolute laugh out loud hilarity (Come on down, Thel!), but really kind of a sad portrait of small town life.

As I said about The Funeral Makers, the writing is kind of like Mr.
Keillor’s Lake Woebegone, but with the sense that not every
JoAnn Plante
I loved this story. It had a real cast of characters. Each character was so realistic. I thought I knew some of them. She is a great writer and her ability to describe people, scenes, or things is just incredible. Cathie Pelletier emmerces the reader into her fictitious world and makes everything seem real. I enjoy reading this author.
Jonna
This book was a wonderful reading experience. Wonderfully written. I read it in 1992 so I can't write a well-thought-through review. I just remember reading it and how good I felt while reading it. In my book (no pun intended), any book that leaves you with a smile on your face is worth reading.... (I think I'm repeating myself here...
Amy
I couldn't find one character that I liked in this book. I would have laughed a lot if these people weren't so mean and pathetic. Still, she wrote well enough that I wanted to finish it and find out what happened at the end.
Dianne
Great story - every chapter was absolutely hilarious. This is the on-going tale of troubles and drama between two feuding families and the town that has to deal with all of them.
Bonnie Kerr
I thought this book was a riot, so very funny and also sad. I liked it better than "The Funeral Makers", it made me nostalgic for my hometown and the house I grew up in.
Xendawg
As with just about everything else Cathie Pelletier writes, this book combines humor and true heartbreak in ways that few authors are capable of
Jess
I thought this was a great read. I found it a bit crazy and funny, but entertaining from start to finish. Reminds me of the small town I grew up in.
Christine
Aug 14, 2007 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks who like modern fiction about quirky people
Shelves: alltimefaves
loved all three of the books in this series (funeral makers, the weight of winter).
wonderful, interesting characters.
Pam
Good but not as good as some of her earlier books. Some very funny sections.
Joanne
Very funny, very good, I read it twice.
Donna
Quirky but interesting.
Paulette Ponte
Cathie Pelletier's best book.
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Lisa Rickard
Lisa Rickard marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Robin
Robin added it
Apr 14, 2015
Lino Natoli
Lino Natoli marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Deb Harding
Deb Harding marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
  • Souls Raised from the Dead
  • Cry Me a River
  • The Empress of One
  • The Chinchilla Farm: A Novel
  • O Lost: A Story of the Buried Life (original version of Look Homeward, Angel)
  • The Battle of the Villa Fiorita
  • Day of the Bees
  • The Widows' Adventures

Mattagash (4 books)
  • The Funeral Makers (Mattagash, #1)
  • The Weight of Winter (Mattagash, #3)
  • The One-Way Bridge (Mattagash, #4)
The One-Way Bridge (Mattagash, #4) The Funeral Makers (Mattagash, #1) The Bubble Reputation The Weight of Winter (Mattagash, #3) Beaming Sonny Home

“Almost overnight, Albert Pinkham had gone from being barely able to keep his head above water to walking on the stuff.” 1 likes