Once Upon a Time on the Banks

Once Upon a Time on the Banks

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Set in the backwood Main village, Mattagash, this is a book about Amy Joy Lawler, descendant of Protestant settlers, who decides to marry a man of French-Canadian descent, an outsider. Cathy Pelletier also wrote "The Funeral Makers".
Published September 1st 1991 by Washington Square Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Time on the Banks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Time on the Banks

The Cider House Rules by John IrvingThe Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne JewettEmpire Falls by Richard RussoThe Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn ChuteThe Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. Pendleton
Books Set in Maine
45th out of 145 books — 57 voters
The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleAlice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Best Eccentric Characters
91st out of 103 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie Barrett
Once Upon A Time On the Banks by Cathie Pellitier
Maine, first day of spring. Amy Joy Lawler comes to town and will wed and her mother has taken to her bed.
Trouble amongst the natives, when one outsider wants to marry a native townie.
This is almost like a Hatfield/McCoy battle and some of the things they do along the way are hilarious, some very dangerous.
Lots of others are followed, with what is going on with their lives. It's about family, heritage, legacy and in the remote town close to the Ca...more
A continuation of Pelletier's Mattagash series (I would say trilogy, but there is a fourth coming out soon!). We are reunited with Amy Joy, Junior, the Giffords and all the rest of the bunch ten years after The Funeral Makers takes place.

There are some moments of absolute laugh out loud hilarity (Come on down, Thel!), but really kind of a sad portrait of small town life.

As I said about The Funeral Makers, the writing is kind of like Mr.
Keillor’s Lake Woebegone, but with the sense that not every...more
Jonna
This book was a wonderful reading experience. Wonderfully written. I read it in 1992 so I can't write a well-thought-through review. I just remember reading it and how good I felt while reading it. In my book (no pun intended), any book that leaves you with a smile on your face is worth reading.... (I think I'm repeating myself here...
Amy
I couldn't find one character that I liked in this book. I would have laughed a lot if these people weren't so mean and pathetic. Still, she wrote well enough that I wanted to finish it and find out what happened at the end.
Dianne
Great story - every chapter was absolutely hilarious. This is the on-going tale of troubles and drama between two feuding families and the town that has to deal with all of them.
Bonnie Kerr
I thought this book was a riot, so very funny and also sad. I liked it better than "The Funeral Makers", it made me nostalgic for my hometown and the house I grew up in.
Xendawg
As with just about everything else Cathie Pelletier writes, this book combines humor and true heartbreak in ways that few authors are capable of
Jess
I thought this was a great read. I found it a bit crazy and funny, but entertaining from start to finish. Reminds me of the small town I grew up in.
Christine
Aug 14, 2007 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks who like modern fiction about quirky people
Shelves: alltimefaves
loved all three of the books in this series (funeral makers, the weight of winter).
wonderful, interesting characters.
Joanne
Very funny, very good, I read it twice.
Donna
Quirky but interesting.
Paulette Ponte
Cathie Pelletier's best book.
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Valerie Saurer
Valerie Saurer marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Virginia Marie Rodriguez
Virginia Marie Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Stella Dumais
Stella Dumais marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Katarzyna
Katarzyna marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Annabelle
Annabelle marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Karen Cimms
Karen Cimms marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Susannah
Susannah marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Marianne Perino
Marianne Perino marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The One-Way Bridge The Funeral Makers The Bubble Reputation The Weight of Winter Beaming Sonny Home

“Almost overnight, Albert Pinkham had gone from being barely able to keep his head above water to walking on the stuff.” 1 likes