Start by marking “Barry Trotter och den skamlösa parodin (Barry Trotter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Barry Trotter och den skamlösa parodin (Barry Trotter, #1)
Preview

Barry Trotter och den skamlösa parodin (Barry Trotter #1)

2.83 of 5 stars 2.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,404 ratings  ·  111 reviews
WARNING: THIS ISN'T THE REAL THING...IT'S FUNNIER!

"Stop that movie," Headmaster Alpo Bumblemore said, "or Hogwash is history!"

Already overrun by brawling, fetid fans of the bestselling Barry Trotter books, Hogwash is certain to be pulled down brick by brick after Barry's new big-budget biopic debuts. So Barry Trotter, Ermine Cringer, and Lon Measly are hauled out of retire
Hardcover, 1
Published September 2004 by Bokförlaget Lind & Co AB (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Barry Trotter och den skamlösa parodin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barry Trotter och den skamlösa parodin

Callie Rose Tyler
Ugh, this was abysmal, truly terrible. I moderately enjoyed Nightlight: A Parody so I thought I'd give this a try. This is not even remotely funny, it's just stupid. Just changing the names of things does not a parody make, especially when the name changes themselves are uninspired and humorless.

You can find a parody on YouTube that will give you more laughs in 1 minute than the hours it will take you to trudge through this crap. Seriously, you want Harry Potter humor? Just visit Google.

Ayame Sohma
I simply cannot compliment the author and the narrator enough. Not only is it a-laugh-a-line funny, but the high-level ventriloquism Christopher uses adds a level of shine that outstrips almost any reading experience. Just wait until you hear and imagine Barry Trotter hit the redial button on his uncle's address book. There are also references to the top actors and actresses of the day, but that doesn't really impede this book's withstanding of the test of time.

The book starts off simply, with B
Philip
Mar 22, 2009 Philip rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: potter fans who are scraping the barrel
Shelves: fantasy, children, fiction
I got to page 70, but didn't get any further because I found it rather boring. What humour there was seemed rather dry and dull: calling Fred and George "Ferd and Jorge" (or whatever it was) isn't my idea of good wit. There was little plot, which mostly seemed to centre around how run-down everything was.

I found the original Harry Potter books were funnier. And the stories had more substance. My advice: stick with them.
Beth F.
Feb 16, 2009 Beth F. rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth F. by: don't remember...but they should be kicked in the teeth
Shelves: i-give-up, humor, hated-it
This was one of the dumbest things I ever read.

It tried too hard. It started out funny but got insanely annoying very, very fast. Skip it.
Glenn
Did you ever read Bored of the Rings? The Harvard Lampoon’s parody of Tolkien is one of the funniest little books I ever read. Crude, adolescent, and now terribly dated, it was also witty, inventive, and most of all funny. With fond memories of that parody in mind, I was looking forward to Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody. While it has all of the crudity and adolescence of it’s illustrious predecessor, it fall short in one major category. It isn’t all that funny. While the Harry Potter ...more
Roisin
Sep 07, 2007 Roisin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry potter fans, anyone who wants a laugh
I read this book and although I was confused (seems to be an extended theme in my reviews) at first if I liked it or not. However as I read on I found it to be hillarious and it's spontaneous way of creating odd situations for the characters. Also the ending really throws you, But it's a good throwing, it took me a while to catch up with the book but toher than that it was a wonderfully funny read.
Schnicklfritz
I'm not gonna finish this crap! And I'm not saying this because I Love Harry Potter and cannot laugh about parodies! It's just stupid and exaggerated! It's like the Author put every thought he had into one big bowl and picked randomly which one to use next!
Cyan Wisp
Sep 30, 2008 Cyan Wisp rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who think the title is funny
Horrible. Unfunny. "Humour" in this book consists of having silly names for well known people and things. A chore to read. Novelty lasts about 1, maybe 2 pages. [Zzzz]
Brian McDonald
This is definitely the stupidest book I've read in a long time. It was kind of funny in parts, but mostly just ridiculous. Fortunately, it's not very long.
Christine
The most stupid and unfunny book I've ever started to read...
Jacob
I rarely rate a book before I finish it... but then, I rarely decide flat-out to not finish a book. I can usually at least CONVINCE myself there is a chance that I'm not wasting my time, that I'll get around to it eventually.

Not in this case.

There is exactly two demographics for Barry Trotter--people who read the first Harry Potter book and didn't care for it (and who have a crude sense of humor), and people who were forced to see the movie and hated it.

Every single character is a cop-out, for
Amelia
I could write a really long review explaining the manifold ways in which Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody was a) stupid b) really stupid c) really really stupid and d) disgusting but I'm not going to waste my time when I can sum it up in a few words: endless toilet humour and sex jokes. Strangely I don't find the idea of Dumbledore pissing on a model of Harry or Hermione's top being turned invisible absolutely fucking hillarious, I wonder why? Maybe because I'm not a thirteen year old boy? ...more
Raigo
Võimalik, et selle, ilmselt ühe tuntuma Potteri-paroodia raamatu (nagu ka selle järgede, mis seni küll eesti keeles ilmunud pole - no ja tõtt-öelda pole selleks muidugi ka mingit vajadust) suurim pluss on see, et autor näitas sinisilmsetele Potteri-fännidele nende imeilusa maailma ebatäiuslikkust. Solvumislaine oli muidugi massiivne ja kui korduvalt on räägitud, et päris-Potter suutis noored uuesti lugema meelitada, siis härra Totter pani suure osa neist veel ka end kirjalikult väljendama. Mis s ...more
Erin
I HATED IT. There are very few books that I will not finish and this is one of them. It bills itself as a parody of Harry Potter. It had the potential to be really funny, but I didn't find it funny. The facet that Gerber changed the names (Harry to Barry) wasn't too funny. He thought that being mean-spirited about everything would translate to humor, which it doesn't. I wish I could give it zero stars.
April Helms
Mar 22, 2008 April Helms rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Recommended to April by: Nigel
Shelves: spoof, collection
A hysterical wink and poke parody of the Harry Potter series. Barry Trotter is a n'er do well, a perpetual student at Hogwash. But a movie deal threatens his idylic slacker lifestyle. The humor ranges from sophmoric to sophisticated. Fair warning: this is really for adults only.
Leah
The Barry Trotter books are parodies on the actual series. They are quite hilarious and worth a read if you have some extra time on your hands. They do however, become a bit wearisome at points, since they, in now way, can measure up to the fabulosity of the original series.
melydia
Though it had its funny bits (I still can't get over the name Lord Valumart), all in all it didn't quite amuse me as much as I'd expected it to. But it kept me entertained while I waited for my car to get fixed, so it was worth reading. :)
Michelle
This is a spoof on Harry Potter. It is a short book, but I didn't think it was that funny. I would rather just read any Harry Potter book instead.
Lizzi Crystal
While trying to be funny, it fell into a sort of annoying crudeness, and the best part about it was getting it over with. Best skipped, I think.
Emily
Worst.Book.Ever. I wanted it to be funny so badly because I love good parodies, but this was in no way funny. It was just really lame.
Susan Maclean
Dec 30, 2007 Susan Maclean rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Rubbish! Got to about page 30 and it stank so bad.....
Anna Sörries
This was bad. Really really bad. Not funny.
Henrisha
a very, very bad (and boring) book.
Izlinda
Jul 28, 2008 Izlinda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like toilet humor and Harry Potter haters/lovers who can take it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
This a parody, obviously, of Harry Potter. Barry Trotter is in his eleventh year at Hogwash (22 years old), as there is unspoken agreement between him and the school that he's the biggest money-bringer-in. (Apparently students apply to the school.)In this book, he needs to stop the movie being made of J.G. Rollins's books about him. Why? Because there are already hundreds of Muddles (humans) camped out on Hogwash's front lawn, screaming for Barry, and if the movie gets out, there'll be more camp ...more
Geert Daelemans
Not hilarious, but still quite funny

Barry Trotter is 22. Hogwash School for Wizards is a safe haven for its most famous student, because no one dares to tell Barry to bugger off just because that would mean that the unstoppable flow of new student will be cut off. Yes, Barry Trotter is the reason why twenty candidates applied for every open spot at Hogwash School. In the meantime Barry is constantly busy not following his courses and not studying for the exams. Why should he? The arrangement he
Maddy Pertiwi
Hogwash School for Wizards merupakan sekolah sihir paling terkenal di dunia sihir dan Barry Trotter merupakan muridnya yang paling terkenal. Semua kepopuleran itu berawal dari JG Rollins menerbitkan buku Barry Trotter and the Philosopher’s Scone (di Amerika diterbitkan dengan judul Barry Trotter and the Magic Biscuit) dan meraih sukses internasional. Barry menjadi bagian dari penting dari sekolah, terutama dari segi pendanaan, sehingga Hogwash setuju untuk mengijinkan Barry tinggal di Hogwash sa ...more
Outis
An sich wäre es eine lustige Parodie auf Harry Potter gewesen.
An sich... und eigentlich.
Mittlerweile bin ich ja groß und ertrage Verrisse meines Fandoms (das war bei Akte X und Onkel Hotte's Parodie erheblich schwieriger), aber der hier ist einfach nicht wirklich gut gemacht.
Der Autor gibt das zwar selber unumwunden zu, aber von einer Parodie, über die ich mich amüsieren kann, erwarte ich wenigstens einen halbwegs vorhandenen Plot und eine gewisse Orientierung am / Nähe zum Original.
Hier eher w
Kieran Hole
Mixed opinions, in short. It's funny, for sure. But there are problems.

For one, it's like Gerber's not sure if he wants to be clever and satirical about Harry Potter (pointing out how the Snitch is kind of a game breaking mechanic) or just making toilet humor ('POOP' spelt the ants). Gerber also makes a point of acknowledging that the book is a paradoxical mess. Who the hell wrote it? Gerber or Trotter? Also, though I know he said that the incorrect punctuation was 'on purpose' but it does get a
So, I Read This Book Today
am sewing of an evening.

I picked this up at Powell's in the Portland airport during an especially long, uncomfortable flight (4 planes, 2 airlines, 18 hours....) and wound up laughing out loud during my Portland to Minneapolis leg - my seatmate thought I was nuts, but it sure took the edge off the flight!

Don't look to this book for intellectual stimulation, or for a 'sacred' look at Harry in his adulthood. These people are more your every-day Joes, just looking for a way to get by, and stumbling
Rachael Hewison
I’m not going to lie, being a Harry Potter fan had put me off the book from the start, but my boyfriend had recommended it so I thought it might be worth a shot. It wasn’t. Gerber just tried too hard to make it into a Harry Potter parody instead of using his own thoughts and ideas. Yes he cleverly played on their names and there were a few moments that made me temporarily smile. But I think I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more if he had been more creative and made his narrative more his own. ...more
  • The Soddit: Or, Let's Cash in Again
  • Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Nukkin Ya
  • Reading Harry Potter: Critical Essays
  • Penn & Teller's How to Play in Traffic
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Parenting
  • Die Bedrohung
  • The Moriarty Papers: The Schemes and Adventures of the Great Nemesis of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Colour of Magic: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • New Moan: The Twishite Saga - A Parody
  • Romance Novel
  • Grave Doubts (Andrew Fenwick, #3)
  • Squirm: virgin captive of the billionaire biker tentacle monster (The Squirm Files, #1)
  • Inside the Illusion (Everworld, #9)
  • The Arrangement
  • Lehrerkind: Lebenslänglich Pausenhof
  • Wild West Witches
  • The Dream Merchant
Parodist, author of Barry Trotter series, parodies of Harry Potter books. Also known as Mike Gerber or Michael Allen Gerber.

For the business author, see Michael E. Gerber.
More about Michael Gerber...

Barry Trotter (3 books)
  • Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel: The Book Nobody Has Been Waiting For (Barry Trotter, #2)
  • Barry Trotter and the Dead Horse (Barry Trotter, #3)
Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel: The Book Nobody Has Been Waiting For (Barry Trotter, #2) Barry Trotter and the Dead Horse (Barry Trotter, #3) Freshman The Chronicles Of Blarnia (Gollancz S.F.) Barry Trotter Boxed Set (Gollancz)

“Sauber gemacht wird erst, wenn einem der Dreck Tränen in die Augen treibt!” 2 likes